Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Eat all your calories.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So are you saying I should not eat all my MFP cals within the 8 hour window? I'm so confused.

Yes, you should eat all your calories. The 16/8 approach is just a tool to make it easier to stay within your caloric goals, while also giving the (possible) advantages of increased fat burning during the fast. This means eat your MFP calories, with the deficit build in (based on your MFP goals).

The 24 hr fasts (1 or 2 per week) are a tool to create a caloric deficit for the week. If you are doing the 24 hour fasts you should be eating something close to your MAINTANENCE (MFP goal of maintenance) calories on non-fast day(s), and using the fast day(s) to create your deficit for the week.

Does that make sense?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    So are you saying I should not eat all my MFP cals within the 8 hour window? I'm so confused.

Yes, you should eat all your calories. The 16/8 approach is just a tool to make it easier to stay within your caloric goals, while also giving the (possible) advantages of increased fat burning during the fast. This means eat your MFP calories, with the deficit build in (based on your MFP goals).

The 24 hr fasts (1 or 2 per week) are a tool to create a caloric deficit for the week. If you are doing the 24 hour fasts you should be eating something close to your MAINTANENCE (MFP goal of maintenance) calories on non-fast day(s), and using the fast day(s) to create your deficit for the week.

Does that make sense?

Yes definitely makes sense!!! Thankyouuuuuu! :drinker: I got confused by what the poster, who is a nurse ,said.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

Can this post be stickied? :smile:

It's really not that difficult a concept.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

Does that make sense?

Can this post be stickied? :smile:

It's really not that difficult a concept.

LOL...it IS when I get two, three sometimes four different answers.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    No I am not saying that. I am saying your digestive system does not NEED a rest anymore than your heart does.
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So here I am one full month into IF. I have not ever done a 24 hour fast. I just do 18/6 daily.
    I just weigh in every two weeks and today was my 2nd weigh in since I started it.. Have no idea why
    but first weigh in 5.1 lbs down and second weigh in 5.1 lbs down, for a total of 10.2 lbs in one month.
    I however have a fair amount of weigh to lose. I do not always get in my full amount of calories. Some times I am not
    very hungry during my feeding time. I try to eat as clean as I can. Lots of veggies, fruit and fish or meats.
    Do not eat sugary things and eat very little bread. No treats at all during this past month. Still feel guilty eating
    this way and toward the end of my fast wonder if I am destroying my body. I am out of town this week end and will probably not be able to eat this way for the next couple of days, but will do my best to stay within my MFP calories.
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    IF works by you consuming less calories. That's all.

No, not correct. Even if you eat all of your maintenance calories in your 8 hour window on Leangains style IF, you will still be losing fat, because IF works not only by calorie restriction but also by creating a hormonal state favorable to fat burning and muscle conservation. This is how it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time on Leangains. You will not be losing *as much* fat if you eat maintenance calories every day (as opposed to calorie restriction + fasting), but it will still occur. There is a veritable ton of research backing this up. It's not a "maybe" thing, this is how fasting works physiologically.

On the other hand, I agree with you about this:
    I am saying your digestive system does not NEED a rest anymore than your heart does.

Resting the digestive system doesn't have much, if anything, to do with it. It's all about hormonal changes which occur in response to no food being available to burn for energy.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Alloranx I love this quote you made awhile ago:
    My opinion overall? This is "easy mode" dieting, folks. I will never do anything else if I ever need to lose weight again. Are there strong hunger pangs sometimes? Yes. Can you just ignore them and go on with your day? Yes. I actually found it helpful to redefine the hunger pangs in my mind as probably representing the feeling of fat burning off my belly. It works, try it!

My question for you (and other IFers) today is, have you seen any information on how IF might affect people, especially women, over the age of 50?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    FINALLY! Today I went 16 1/2 hours on the fast! I was busy grocery shopping and not hanging out at home so I didn't have time to think about hunger. I have lost 1.5 lbs this week alone. i started this 16/8 last Monday and also started zigzaging my calories.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

No, not correct. Even if you eat all of your maintenance calories in your 8 hour window on Leangains style IF, you will still be losing fat, because IF works not only by calorie restriction but also by creating a hormonal state favorable to fat burning and muscle conservation. This is how it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time on Leangains. You will not be losing *as much* fat if you eat maintenance calories every day (as opposed to calorie restriction + fasting), but it will still occur. There is a veritable ton of research backing this up. It's not a "maybe" thing, this is how fasting works physiologically.

I am saying your digestive system does not NEED a rest anymore than your heart does.

Resting the digestive system doesn't have much, if anything, to do with it. It's all about hormonal changes which occur in response to no food being available to burn for energy.

See my reply...I saw this after. I lost 1.5 lbs in the past week while doing IF and zigzaging my cals that MFP has for me. I couldn't believe the muscle I saw in my arms yesterday (before I weighed myself this morning so i didn't know I lost) and my obliques are starting to show as the love handles are decreasing. This is no coincidence. :) I thank GOD for bringing all of you into my life and revealing all this info.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

See... that's why I said "If I'm correct"! I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong! Lol! When I started IF, I was reading SO many articles on the subject, and that was one of the things that stuck with me. I think the theory was that "normal" dieting today dictates that we should eat 5 meals a day, which has us eating from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed, leaving no time for "digestive rest". I think that's where the hormonal changes came in, but everything I read is just kind of running together. :) Thanks for setting me straight!
  • catwrangler
    Options
    Day four of 16/8 for me. Today is the first day without being really hungry, no light head and no fuzzy brain! I'm still not hella hungry so this was a very good day. I guess my system is getting used to the new schedule? I don't expect every day to be so easy, right?

I am finding it easy to stay within my alloted cals which was my main reason for starting this in the first place so yay for IF!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Day four of 16/8 for me. Today is the first day without being really hungry, no light head and no fuzzy brain! I'm still not hella hungry so this was a very good day. I guess my system is getting used to the new schedule? I don't expect every day to be so easy, right?

I am finding it easy to stay within my alloted cals which was my main reason for starting this in the first place so yay for IF!

Today was my 5th day and I decided to go from 6 last night to 10 am instead of 8pm to noon. I even worked out hard at 5:00 am and felt fine all morning but I was also busy as opposed to staying at home babysitting. I think we can do this! :)
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @ Catwrangler
    My question for you (and other IFers) today is, have you seen any information on how IF might affect people, especially women, over the age of 50?

No, I haven't seen any research specifically about that age group or gender (and I suppose you are specifically referring to post-menopausal women). I just did a little search and didn't find any relevant studies. Not too surprising, as the interest in researching IF intensively is fairly recent. It will take a while before they start doing studies on special segments of the population like that, I suspect.

There are a lot of hormonal changes as you get older, but I'm not sure about the specifics of insulin/glucagon, HGH, and catecholamines or their responsiveness to fasting.

@Theresamommy
    See... that's why I said "If I'm correct"! I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong! Lol! When I started IF, I was reading SO many articles on the subject, and that was one of the things that stuck with me. I think the theory was that "normal" dieting today dictates that we should eat 5 meals a day, which has us eating from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed, leaving no time for "digestive rest". I think that's where the hormonal changes came in, but everything I read is just kind of running together. :) Thanks for setting me straight!

In a certain figurative sense, you are right, Theresa, since the pancreas is part of the digestive system, and by fasting you are giving the beta cells (which secret insulin) a mild rest (though they are still working to keep a basal level of insulin). But other parts compensate by becoming more active, i.e. the alpha cells that secrete glucagon. As for whether the actual intestines and such need rest, I've never seen anything to that effect, but who knows, maybe it does benefit your intestinal lining to not have to deal with food for a while.

My point was just that digestive rest isn't why intermittent fasting burns more fat than calorie restriction alone.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @ Catwrangler

No, I haven't seen any research specifically about that age group or gender (and I suppose you are specifically referring to post-menopausal women). I just did a little search and didn't find any relevant studies. Not too surprising, as the interest in researching IF intensively is fairly recent. It will take a while before they start doing studies on special segments of the population like that, I suspect.

There are a lot of hormonal changes as you get older, but I'm not sure about the specifics of insulin/glucagon, HGH, and catecholamines or their responsiveness to fasting.

@Theresamommy

In a certain figurative sense, you are right, Theresa, since the pancreas is part of the digestive system, and by fasting you are giving the beta cells (which secret insulin) a mild rest (though they are still working to keep a basal level of insulin). But other parts compensate by becoming more active, i.e. the alpha cells that secrete glucagon. As for whether the actual intestines and such need rest, I've never seen anything to that effect, but who knows, maybe it does benefit your intestinal lining to not have to deal with food for a while.

My point was just that digestive rest isn't why intermittent fasting burns more fat than calorie restriction alone.

Yeah, no... I don't think it has any effect on fat loss either. I just assumed that there were other health benefits associated with it, but I'm a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to the science behind IF. I'm slowly learning though! Lol! Thanks again :)
  • Janice1109
    Options
    What is the purpose of fasting?? When you don't eat, your body hold o to fat
  • catwrangler
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2007/06/why-would-i-do-intermittent-fasting.html

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

in the second link refer to myths #4 and 7. Also check the update for #7 at the end of the article, before the comments start.

These are only a few benefits, the ones I personally am trying to find from IF. There are way more benefits, with scientific back-ups, listed on this website.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

Well considering 8 years ago I lost 20 lbs of fat (not muscle) it works and i ate like crazy during my window of time. Now I just started this past week and I lost 1.6 lbs of fat. I haven't had my body fat professionally tested (will in one more week) since I lost this but I can see my muscle tone right now. So for someone that has seen the results personally I believe it works, Untill you try it you will never know.

ETA: Another thing is I wake up more energetic in the morning during my fasted state and have a much better work out. I am burning fat at this time.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Started this about 4-5 days ago and am pretty much doing the 16/8 - start eating at 1-2pm as I like to be able to eat late.

yesterday i weighed myself and have lost a kilo - now bear in mind I only weigh myself every 4 weeks but i hadnt budged from july to mid sept, so am really wondering if this has been the piece of the puzzle that has helped. of course it could well be a coincidence