Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options
Hey All -

Seems like most MFP members don't support intermittent fasting of any style (24 hour fasts, skipping breakfast, etc.). Just wondering if there are any lurkers out there who do!

I've been taking on a lot of discouragement from my peers and family during my fasts, (I fast for a day about once a week) and it would just be nice to have some support from people who understand what I'm talking about. (Like how I'm NOT putting myself into "starvation mode") You know, Eat Stop Eaters, lean gains followers, any of those non-mainstream ideas that all too often are frowned upon...

Show me where you're at! What do you say to people while you're fasting when they tell you that you are stupid and risking "starvation mode"?

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hi Yvette,

Do you follow Paleo or Primal?? There's a bunch of us on here. Not sure how many do IF. But I'm sure there's quite a few! I haven't done it yet. Still in my first 30 days of Paleo. I also understand that IF is best for people that are building muscle. I'm not doing that yet, but plan on starting to work out any day now :\

So I'm sure you'll get some folks that'll love to be in your support group. I hope to be soon :)
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    fasting is awesome...!!!!!!!!! makes me feel light and fluffy.... i'll join :)
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I don't really know much about intermittent fasting - do you notice it makes a difference in achieving your goals? Do you exercise on those days? I'd be interested in hearing more about it.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    Hi Yvette,

Do you follow Paleo or Primal?? There's a bunch of us on here. Not sure how many do IF. But I'm sure there's quite a few! I haven't done it yet. Still in my first 30 days of Paleo. I also understand that IF is best for people that are building muscle. I'm not doing that yet, but plan on starting to work out any day now :\

So I'm sure you'll get some folks that'll love to be in your support group. I hope to be soon :)

The last two weeks I have been attempting to transition into primal/paleo so were out here :smile:
    Feel free to add me!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I don't do anything formally, but I eat two meals a day - lunch and dinner only. Sometimes only dinner. I've read up on IF, and think it's totally fine!
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    I won't say that I follow either paleo or primal, but my diet does consist of almost entirely fruits, vegetables and eggs. I eat boca burgers too, so I guess you could say I follow a pseudo paleo diet on the days that I eat really well. I do have days where I just eat whatever I feel like though, and IF allows that kind of freedom without consequence. :)

I have been building quite a bit of muscle, but IF is good for anyone who is just looking to get leaner than they are (not necessarily getting more muscular), as long as they are willing to put in a bit of strength training.

Good luck with everything and I hope you get a chance to see if IF is right for you! (As a heads up, it is not for everyone, but the benefits are awesome)
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I read "Eat Stop Eat" by Brad Pilon and I have have personally benefited from Intermittent Fasting, the rest of the time I follow a Primal / Paleo lifestyle.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i fast once a week as well. sometimes liquid only (around 600 calories), sometimes only water (0 calories), and sometimes from a certain food that has been messing with my head (normal calories). feel free to friend me.
    dawn
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    I don't really know much about intermittent fasting - do you notice it makes a difference in achieving your goals? Do you exercise on those days? I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

It has made a big difference in achieving my goals. I find it grants me much more freedom with my food choices during weight loss, thus making me less stressed and less food focused, and it really keeps me feeling "clean."

An added bonus - on fasting days I am insanely productive. It was surprising how much more I am able to accomplish in a day when I am not thinking about what I am going to eat and the actual eating time I get back.

And yes, I do exercise in a fasted state, and it has seemed to be pretty effective.

If you are looking for more detailed information, check out bradpilon.com or leangains.com. Brad and Martin are amazing!
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options

It has made a big difference in achieving my goals. I find it grants me much more freedom with my food choices during weight loss, thus making me less stressed and less food focused, and it really keeps me feeling "clean."

An added bonus - on fasting days I am insanely productive. It was surprising how much more I am able to accomplish in a day when I am not thinking about what I am going to eat and the actual eating time I get back.

And yes, I do exercise in a fasted state, and it has seemed to be pretty effective.

If you are looking for more detailed information, check out bradpilon.com or leangains.com. Brad and Martin are amazing!

Thanks - I'll check that out :)
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I am a Paleo/Primal chick...I've done the skipping bfast thing every now and then, but hadn't got too deep into IF'ing yet, but will when I get the hang of the Paleo eating!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am really curious about this... I have not intentionally labelled a "diet" plan, but I have (for many years) had "intermittent fasts" - and often do not eat breakfast, (obviously thus far it has not helped me - however hwat I did eat outside of that was very unhealthy and far too much)
    I would love any information about how this benefits weight loss and management.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do intermittently fast, using the LeanGains approach (18 hour fast daily, so an eating window of 6 hours)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hey, we are out here!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157274-eat-stop-eat-how-it-s-worked-for-me?hl=Eat+stop+eat&page=6#posts-2815973
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217996-intermittent-fasting

However, there is not official support group. I'd like to join and I'd like us to keep it going! I feel like I've told my story ad nauseum, but basically I started off with eat stop eat, fasting two 24 hour sessions in a week. I lost weight and it was pretty simple. It's no problem when I'm working (busy job) and drinking water/green tea, I would even exercise. I read the book and was convinced by the studies that showed that fasting greater than 12 hours actually increases your fat burning enzymes. It also makes sense that your body would burn more fat while fasting; that's why we have fat!

I switched over to leangains because I find it easier, especially since it helps me to stop snacking every night. Hubby doesn't eat in the am most times anyway, though I will break it early on the weekends if need be. I do still do ESE sessions when hubby is out of town or its convenient for my schedule. If it wasn't for my food intolerances and muscle gain I'd probably be at goal weight even doing this stuff sporadically as I am, but I am pretty much at goal size, just continuing to get that number on the scale and hopefully lean out a bit more.

To answer your question i am a closet faster. Most of the time hubby doesn't know I'm fasting. If I'm working the next day I will start fasting after dinner and then break it at work around lunchtime and he is none the wiser. Occasionally I will tell him I'm fasting which doesn't bother him for cleansing purposes but he hates any and all dietary restrictions for weight loss (he is one of those with 6% body fat who thinks exercise alone is enough). In fact, it is worse with I'm when I'm closely watching calories than when I'm fasting!

I am the leanest one in my side of the family, so I don't get support there anyway, except when it comes to my gluten intolerance. I am also the health nut at work (mind you I work with docs and nurses, lol) so I'm always bringing my uber healthy food, drinking something strange, or unable to eat something brought in, so no one bats an eye when I'm fasting or really doing anything bizarre anymore :laugh:
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have done the eat stop eat thing, but then just recently, due to having acid reflux, i thought that I would try not eating after 5. Then I remembered that i read something a few years back called Fast 5, meaning just having a 5 hour eating window, and got the free ebook off the website.

So this week I have started to eat at 12 and finishing at 5. i am actually off work this week so it is a lot easier and really enjoy it. My stomach hasnt feel really heavy and bad like what i normally does in the evening and its quite freeing, i can train and not have to rush my evening. i do have IBS too, so it is nice to be able to give my stomach a rest.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oh and if someone actually does confront me about fasting being unhealthy, I hit them with the barrage of data I have collected from scientific studies (well referenced in ESE and lean gains by the way) until they don't wanna talk about it anymore :laugh:

I love doing fat burning cardio while fasting, I try to avoid fasted weight training since Berkhan discourages it and Pilon is neutral, havent gotten the bcaas yet but probably will

In terms of Paleo (intimately linked with IF), some posters have probably noticed me sniffing around Paleo threads. I am gluten intolerant, have bad reactions to sugar and am really really into organic clean food. I buy nearly everything from whole foods and farmer's markets, am a huge Michael Pollan fan, and think the Paleo lifestyle is healthy. However, I cannot quite give up beans, potatoes, rice and rice products, and occasionally fall victim to sugar. So I cannot call myself Paleo, though I'm maybe 80-90% when eating well.

Ok I'll stop posting now. Just got so excited about the support group idea :laugh:
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 hours into my daily fast. Am trying to use the LeanGains 16/8 approach but it really isn't conducive to my work schedule. Today's fast will probably be only 14-15 hours. Works wonders !
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I also am interested in IF. I was wondering if anyone had any data showing the benefit of it vs the norm?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hey All -

Seems like most MFP members don't support intermittent fasting of any style (24 hour fasts, skipping breakfast, etc.). Just wondering if there are any lurkers out there who do!

I've been taking on a lot of discouragement from my peers and family during my fasts, (I fast for a day about once a week) and it would just be nice to have some support from people who understand what I'm talking about. (Like how I'm NOT putting myself into "starvation mode") You know, Eat Stop Eaters, lean gains followers, any of those non-mainstream ideas that all too often are frowned upon...

Show me where you're at! What do you say to people while you're fasting when they tell you that you are stupid and risking "starvation mode"?

Fasting is FINE! People have done it for THOUSANDS of Years. I believe that people who do NOT believe in Fasting don't have an Abrahamic Belief, nor cleansing the Body from time to time. ALL Abrahamic Religions (Judaism, Christianity, Al-Islam) calls for Fasting...even NON Abrahamic Religions. All is done for many different reasons, but it is all GOOD and we all NEED to Fast the Body but MORE Importantly for spiritual, emotional and mental reasons.

Now, when you Fast, it should be done so Humbly; NO ONE SHOULD KNOW THAT YOU ARE FASTING. Your spirits should be High and you should endeavor to be a better YOU. Withholding food from the Body is just a small part of Fasting. ENJOY your Fasting...Be Well.
  • brockman8742
    Options
    I love IF and have been doing it once a week for about a month now. I normally will start my fast after lunch. On days that I fast I dont eat differently or try to gorge, I eat a small breakfast and a normally lunch (chicken/veggies) then let the fasting begin around 1pm. I normally hit the gym at 5:30 and dont get home until after 7. I just drink lots of water and head to bed early and let the fat burning begin while I sleep. Its awesome and when I wake up the next day I have already fasted for 15 hours and most of it without knowing it. I again have a light breakfast (2 hardboiled eggs/coffee) and let the day begin. There are a lot of na sayers that will tell you it's so unhealthy and you will go into starvation mode, but I have yet to do that and I find I wake up with tons of energy and ready to start the day.

Stick with it!!!