Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I've been taking on a lot of discouragement from my peers and family during my fasts, (I fast for a day about once a week) and it would just be nice to have some support from people who understand what I'm talking about. (Like how I'm NOT putting myself into "starvation mode") You know, Eat Stop Eaters, lean gains followers, any of those non-mainstream ideas that all too often are frowned upon...

Show me where you're at! What do you say to people while you're fasting when they tell you that you are stupid and risking "starvation mode"?

Why would they think you're risking so-called starvation mode? Your daily/weekly calories should be the same as if you were eating 3-6 meals per day.

If you want to avoid confrontation just tell them you aren't hungry!
  • lisarota
    lisarota Posts: 12
    Options
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Nobody can really tell I'm doing IF. I just skip breakfast and eat a low carb lunch at work. For dinner, I stuff myself after a workout. So my eating window is 12 noon - 8pm.

I know it has been mentioned before but Mark of leangains has rediculous amount of info on his site. He won me over. Here is a link to his guide:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    stupid question I know but is there anything I can't drink while fasting? Is it water only or can I drink tea? I'd keep my protein shakes to the window naturally
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do IF and have gotten great results. I have gotten stronger in the gym and lost lots of fat.
  • Teemo
    Options
    stupid question I know but is there anything I can't drink while fasting? Is it water only or can I drink tea? I'd keep my protein shakes to the window naturally

Tea and coffee are both fine.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

If it doesn't have any calories in it then it should be fine. Some people may argue about artificial sweetners in diet soda, and the insulin respone it may produce, but it doesn't seem to affect me negatively.
  • wheelieblade
    Options
    thanks I don't drink a lot of tea but usually can't function till I've had one but could live with water till my window opens, will have to take it slowly tho :)
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As a grazer/ constant snacker IF is the only way I can loose weight and start healthier habits. I find after a tiny fast I am much more conscious of what I put in my mouth. Haven't eaten since three today, have work from 6-11, hopefully will drink tea and sleep then see how hungry I am when I wake up. :) I don't IF often but I'm trying to make it a habit.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Bump. How is everyone doing? I have been doing ESE once a week and sporadic with my eating window but I feel good. When I do have days with several meals I miss the feeling of an empty stomach, lol
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Was at a bodyfat plateau for awhile. Switched up my workouts to StrongLifts5x5 (Madcow version), cut virtually all cardio, along with a Paleo diet and LeanGains IF'ing and I've dropped 2.5% bodyfat. I switched my workout 2 weeks ago.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    At almost 24 hours of fasting right now after a pretty bad dietary memorial day break, and I am feeling great! This is so the way to go.
  • wheelieblade
    Options
    coming up to 15 hours will be breaking it in a few minutes with nice hot cup of tea mmm
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I take the IF approach to things and love it. Nothing like eating two HUGE meals a day and losing weight. Also helps with hunger, IMO. Eating a bunch of small meals a day just keeps me hungry, and I love training fasted in the mornings.
  • Teemo
    Options
    I take the IF approach to things and love it. Nothing like eating two HUGE meals a day and losing weight. Also helps with hunger, IMO. Eating a bunch of small meals a day just keeps me hungry, and I love training fasted in the mornings.

Training with BCAAs though, I hope? As Berkhan recommends; since training completely fasted is muscle-wasting.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Training with BCAAs though, I hope? As Berkhan recommends; since training completely fasted is muscle-wasting.

I take a BCAA sup, yes. Xtend. Some argue the research surrounded fasted training and BCAAs is anecdotal and inconclusive, however.
  • Teemo
    Options
    I take a BCAA sup, yes. Xtend. Some argue the research surrounded fasted training and BCAAs is anecdotal and inconclusive, however.

I would tend to agree except (1) it's hard as hell for me to gain muscle and I'm terrified of losing it, anecdotal science or not, (2) Xtend isn't that expensive, and (3) watermelon Xtend is delicious.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I would tend to agree except (1) it's hard as hell for me to gain muscle and I'm terrified of losing it, anecdotal science or not, (2) Xtend isn't that expensive, and (3) watermelon Xtend is delicious.

Lol. Xtend watermelon is amazing....also cures the monotony of plain water.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Lol. Xtend watermelon is amazing....also cures the monotony of plain water.

Watermelon is outstanding. I also like Purple Wraath but it's much more expensive than Xtend.
  • DebRives
    DebRives Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.