Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am one week into Leangains. I love that I have a lot of energy in the morning and not spending a lot of time cooking, eating ,and feeling full. My goal is to gain weight and I have been doing that by adding whole milk to my diet. I am up 5 lbs as of this morning and 3 of those pounds are from muscle. I believe that on the Leangains protocol, I can easily cut a day a week on my diet and keep the fat off. Let's see how it works.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second day of doing 16/8 fasting... I really enjoyed being able to eat a feast at dinner time, and I was a lot less hungry in the morning than I thought I would be. Hoping this will help me break through the platuea I've been stuck on for a while...
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a mixture of ESE and Lean-gains for the past 4 weeks and have had great results!! So glad I found this thread!!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    OMG.
    How am I JUST now finding this?!

Lol, I felt that way last week!

I just started 3 weeks ago.
    I fast for 24-36 hours, once per week.
    What do you do?!

I'm fasting 5 days a week, for 18 - 24 hrs at a time and eating when hungry on weekends without worrying about numbers (as much as I can, anyway!) So far it's working well :) It's helping me listen to my body, and it is shrinking my stomach (which is awesome!). What kind of results have you had?

I lost 3 pounds this past week.
    And I started doing it to break a plateau, and I lost 2 pounds one week.
    Then 1 pound the next week.
    So 6 in 3 weeks, which seems slow, but since I was stuck, it's good for me.
    We'll see how this week works out.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So I did an 18 hour fast today and the issue that I have is that I can not even get close to my calorie intake during my eating time?? Is that bad. I only had 400 calories today. I'm not hungry and I don't like forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    So I did an 18 hour fast today and the issue that I have is that I can not even get close to my calorie intake during my eating time?? Is that bad. I only had 400 calories today. I'm not hungry and I don't like forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry.

If you are going to go leangains style you need to eat all your calories in the 6 hours a day when you eat. If you are doing ESE you eat a normal meal and just go on, ESE is usually a 24 hour fast.
  • blockhead922
    Options
    Well, I think it's a neat thing if it's for religious reasons!
    Nutritionally though, you should make sure you're not making up for the missed calories by binging.
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't right now, but when I could fast I noticed that a 1 day fast would help me get a handle on my cravings...listen to your body, if it works, go for it!

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hush7hush
    Options

If you are going to go leangains style you need to eat all your calories in the 6 hours a day when you eat. If you are doing ESE you eat a normal meal and just go on, ESE is usually a 24 hour fast.

I have this problem too. I'm usually around 400-600cals on my fast days, but I don't worry about it. I don't think our bodies run on 24hr time...

Uhh. I eat nothing on my fasting days.
    Maybe it's just me, but one purpose of it for me is the calorie restriction.
    Which is why my fasts go for 24-36 hours, depending on the time I start.
  • hush7hush
    Options

I have this problem too. I'm usually around 400-600cals on my fast days, but I don't worry about it. I don't think our bodies run on 24hr time...

Uhh. I eat nothing on my fasting days.
    Maybe it's just me, but one purpose of it for me is the calorie restriction.
    Which is why my fasts go for 24-36 hours, depending on the time I start.

My 24hr fasts go dinner to dinner :p

Ohhhh, I gotcha.
    I do mine on Wednesdays, because I stop eating at 3am on Wednesday morning (technically my work-Tuesday).
    And then I allow myself to eat when I wake up on Thursday.
    So it can be between 24 and 36 hours, depending on my sleep schedule.

Did I already ask, do you work out on your fast days?
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you taking in if your fast ends in the middle of the day. Are you trying to get all of your daily calories in or are you just eating whatever keeps you full? I never tend to be hungry after my fasting.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

I do LeanGains and when I break my 16 hour fast, at noon, I'm usually consuming about 1200-1400 calories. I have one other meal, right before 8pm which is about another 1000-1200 calories. Has been working spectacular.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I stumbled onto leangains.com a couple days ago and I'm going to try it. I love all of his backup with studies, but my favorite part is that it fits so well with my life. Eating all of my calories in a 10 hour window and most of them in 6 (first meal is small) means you can actually have a full dinner. The 6 snacks a day thing is boring (I end up eating the same things every day), time consuming, and way too restrictive.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would say most of you know this but having a filling high volume meal doesn't mean it is going to be high calorie. Ie. I've been having massive vegetable/chicken soups and they only come out to about 500 cals with a lot of meat in them!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I would say most of you know this but having a filling high volume meal doesn't mean it is going to be high calorie. Ie. I've been having massive vegetable/chicken soups and they only come out to about 500 cals with a lot of meat in them!
    Yeah, and I like to have huge vegetable stir fries with chicken and kelp or tofu shirataki noodles. Delicious at about 300-400 cals. I wish I could find a reliable lunch transport for soup...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find a reliable lunch transport for soup...

I was thinking exactly this this morning as I was dishing out my bone broth into containers (that I don't trust for travel!)

and I wasn't 100% on my window yesterday. Went to parents for dinner, they took forever to cook as usual :tongue: , then wasn't home in time for my regular pre-bed snack. Woke up at 2am by the sounds of my stomach rumbling hardcore haha. Smashed some cottage cheese and nat pb and could then finally get back to sleep :happy:
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
    I wish I could find a reliable lunch transport for soup...

I was thinking exactly this this morning as I was dishing out my bone broth into containers (that I don't trust for travel!)

and I wasn't 100% on my window yesterday. Went to parents for dinner, they took forever to cook as usual :tongue: , then wasn't home in time for my regular pre-bed snack. Woke up at 2am by the sounds of my stomach rumbling hardcore haha. Smashed some cottage cheese and nat pb and could then finally get back to sleep :happy:

What about an old-fashioned thermos for soup? Would keep it warm too....