Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have been reading all of your posts and am extremely intrested in trying IF. I am going to give it a go this week starting out with the lean gains approach. I have a hit a wall in my weight loss and I think this is just the thing that I need. Thanks to you all for you motivation :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have been reading all of your posts and am extremely intrested in trying IF. I am going to give it a go this week starting out with the lean gains approach. I have a hit a wall in my weight loss and I think this is just the thing that I need. Thanks to you all for you motivation :)

if that is you currently in your profile pic, you are way done! You look very skinny!
  • irisannRN
    Options
    [
    if that is you currently in your profile pic, you are way done! You look very skinny!

Thanks I am just trying to tone up and drop some lingering body fat.

So, the only information I can find is HOW to fast. I want to know why this works??? Say I use the lean gains approach (18 hours fasting, 6 of eating) .... I am still consuming the same amount of calories in a day as if I weren't fasting right (just in smaller window of time) ??? So why does it work?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have read about what fasting does is Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. He gets into much of what goes on when you fast. Part of it is that your body really starts burning fat when in the fasted state, but the better explanation is found in the book.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    [

So, the only information I can find is HOW to fast. I want to know why this works??? Say I use the lean gains approach (18 hours fasting, 6 of eating) .... I am still consuming the same amount of calories in a day as if I weren't fasting right (just in smaller window of time) ??? So why does it work?

I agree it's more concisely explained in the eat stop eat ebook, though the lean gains author makes mention in his articles. http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Articles. The benefits involve up regulating fat burning enzymes (which makes sense since your body is getting ready to use them for reserves), increasing metabolism (so you can get ready to seek food), and allowing you to have large meals the rest of the time and still meet your calorie goals. With the eat stop eat you are actually using those 24 hour periods to hit your calorie deficit and eating at maintenance the rest of the time, like extreme zig zagging. It makes sense to me tha this would be the best way to burn fat since that is the whole reason our bodies store fat - to use when food is not available. The ESE book is a good read with lots of references if you want to check it out
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
    Hmm, forgot my lunch today and have a chiro appt, so I'm just gonna make this an impromptu IF day. I signed up at Brad Pilon's website for his updates and articles, and have been getting daily e-mails from him. Hope to spend a little $$ and get his book soon..... I really like his attitude....
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    just recently heard about Intermittent Fasting and am really considering doing it along with my Atkins. Im only afraid that i will not be able to make it because i have tried cleanses and fasts before and found that i was always hungry. how do you get over the hunger??
  • irisannRN
    Options
    The best thing I have read about what fasting does is Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. He gets into much of what goes on when you fast. Part of it is that your body really starts burning fat when in the fasted state, but the better explanation is found in the book.

Thanks !!! I will definitely look into getting that book !!
  • LdyGeko
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and have a couple of cups of coffee with real cream, and that seems to tide me over and deal with the hunger....
    just recently heard about Intermittent Fasting and am really considering doing it along with my Atkins. Im only afraid that i will not be able to make it because i have tried cleanses and fasts before and found that i was always hungry. how do you get over the hunger??
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options

Lots of water.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just started reading primal blueprint because it combines low carb with IF
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Fast until noon today and will have a huge grassfed sirloin steak & salad to break it. Trained StrongLifts5x5 (Madcow workout C) at 4:30am fasted with only Scivation Xtend watermelon BCAA's in my stomach. Excellent, heavy workout with plenty of energy.
  • 30in11
    30in11 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'd like to join! This is day 2 for me... fasting with an eating window between 12pm and 6pm. I'm a vegetarian, so I'm trying to focus on getting in a lot of protein too.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So, I have been checking out this thread and some of the links provided, and I am very seriously thinking about startinf IF next week. I think the 18/6 plan with two meals prior to my workout would work great for me. I am intended to keep my caloric goals the same as they are now, but I will look to eat 20% @ meal 1, 20% @ meal 2, and 60% @ meal three.

Anyone have any recomendations on my macro percentages and/or what the macro makeup of the post workout meal should be? Or any other tips/advice for me???
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I understand, I just started this site, and Im getting into intermittent fasting, its seem a little taboo!!!!! But any way I do with out breakfast and dont start eating till lunch, then I have dinner around 6pm I have a couple of snacks in between like nuts or fruit something healthy. Im trying to keep at 1200 calories it's hard because I eat mostly vegetable and a little chicken and fish. We will see what happens. I have 20lbs to lose. Im148 5ft 5 meduim build. Glad to have support from this group.
  • LdyGeko
    Options
    TGIF to all you IF Peeps! Today is an IF day for me, hope it turns out to be a good one....
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    [

There are many things involved with IF and why it works.

-Upregulation of the adrenal hormones increase metabolism.
    -Growth hormone release increases during fasting.
    -stable blood sugar and insulin levels during fasting.
    -lipolysis or the breakdown of lipids/fats increases during fasting.
  • LdyGeko
    Options
    There are several different methods of IF. If you follow Eat Stop Eat (ESE) by Brad Pilon, you would fast every day, eating all of your daily calories within a certain time window - maybe noon to 6 p.m., or whatever works for you. I personally choose to do two days a week of a 24-hour fast. The last time I ate was dinner last night, and I will have only water or a bit of coffee today until dinner tonight.

I am relatively new to IF, so I'm still learning. You can find some information at www.bradpilon.com or at www.marksdailyapple.com.... I'm sure there are other sites that people will recommend.....
    I posted this up in it's own topic but so far no one has told me anything helpful. Do any of you gain on a non-fast gain? I've "lost" 2.5lbs in two days (probably all water) and tomorrow is meant to be a non fast day for me, but I want to keep seeing that number drop so I'm tempted to fast again (fourth day in a row). What do you all think? Are you supposed to have normal days, or fast ever day? I've heard conflicting things...