No Grain...No Pain!!!

Options

Replies

• heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Oops I did not add mine in the standarized format ...

Susan: LW 170.2, CW 171, gain of .8
    Marie: LW 204, CW 203, loss of 1
    Kimberly: LW 134, CW 133.6, loss of .4
    Kim: LW 199.4, CW 195.6, loss of 3.8
    Katy: LW 145.5, CW 145, loss of .5
    Stephanie: LW 136.5, CW 134.0, loss of 2.5
    Becca: LW 218, CW 216.6, loss of 1.4
    Donna: LW 150.5 CW 150.5 0 lbs lost (3rd week - plateau - help?)
    LaShaunda: CW 161.2 (just started)
    Amy: CW 113
    David LW 230.2 CW 227.6 lost 2.6lbs!
    Rachel LW256.8 CW 256.8 no loss...sad....
    Carol: LW 156 CW 156 (my fault for not doing the diet)
    Ales: LW 185 CW183.4 - loss of 1.6!!!! WOOT WOOOT!!!!! :D they're starting go!! (hopefully!!)
    Cora: LW: 202.6, CW: 200.2 , loss of -2.4
    Nikole LW: 228.2 CW: 224.9bs Loss of 3.3lbs (interestingly same as week even thou I cheated!)

Wohoooo Ales - I knew you could do it!!! Bravo girlie!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options

WELCOME TO ALL THOSE WHO JUST JOINED!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks!
    I'll join in here, gradually changing though.

What carbs do you eat besides Fruits/Veggies?

Quinoa is a seed, right? or is it counted as a grain?
    Thanks!
    And I'm off to read http://tinyurl.com/Primal-101
  • Cletc
    Options

Thanks!

Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/Primal-101

Mark's site made my head spin after a while. !!

How about if I just ask you Nice Folks to post what were maybe about Five Dietary Things you changed in the beginning. :-)
    I guess this means no pancakes.

What about legumes and lentils? I have cupboards full of those :-)

Thanks!
  • heniko
    Options
    Cletc Quinoa is a seed, so technically it's counted in the 80%not the 20%. Not only is it a great alternative to grains but good source of protein too!

Other then fruits and veg the carbs I normally eat are found in eggs, coconut milk, almond milk, fish, seafood, dairy, liver arrowroot, and quinoa. Most meats don't have carbs so I didn't include them here.

Welcome to the group BTW!
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    Okay, I opened it, thanks! By the way today my weight said 147.5 so who knows what is going on. I hope it's real!

Thanks!

Donna
    Donna, I only offer help when asked! and you asked! open up your diary and I'll take a look! if you want me to ofcourse

Sure! I have to figure out how to do that and if you know how you can let me know. I am new to this. :-)

Donna
    On your "my home" tab there should be an option "settings" then pick "diary settings" there under "diary sharing" should say "private/friends only/public" so you can make it public. I don't think there is really an issue with that, unless you don't want just anyone to be able to see what you eat, so you can keyword protect it and give people the code if you want.
  • heniko
    Options

Thanks!

Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/Primal-101

Mark's site made my head spin after a while. !!

How about if I just ask you Nice Folks to post what were maybe about Five Dietary Things you changed in the beginning. :-)
    I guess this means no pancakes.

What about legumes and lentils? I have cupboards full of those :-)

Thanks!

Frances-

Take your time reading and absorbing. Rome wasn't built in a day fore sure!

No it doesn't mean no pancakes. See this post i made on Primal breakfast many pancakes, breads, muffins etc.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/243207-breakfast-ideas-for-primal-paleo-low-carb-gluten-free-gr?page=1#posts-3213406

Legumes like lentils on Paleo are generally no-nos but on Primal they are considered in the 20 of the 80/20 they are OK to eat occasionally like chocolate or dairy. Read this in depth explaination. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/

5 things I changed -

1.No grains ... so no crossiants, bagels, oatmeal, semolina porridge,etc The npn-grain ones taste better IMO!
    2. Add more meats ... I was eating a mostly carb and vegetable diet before ... rarely meat ... now we have meat almost daily
    3. Added more fats ... I was using the so-called healthy margarines before, low fat dairy and canola oil sparingly since that's what the xperts said was healthy. Now eating all full fat butter, olive oil, fat from animals like duck fat, etc Yumm! No soy or any other Omega 6 oils ...
    4. Gave up my 3 two liter bottles of Coke (and diet Coke) a day habit
    5. No more hours of tiring endless cardio ... thank God!
  • Cletc
    Options
    Legumes like lentils on Paleo are generally no-nos but on Primal they are considered in the 20 of the 80/20 they are OK to eat occasionally like chocolate or dairy. Read this in depth explaination. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/

5 things I changed -

2. Add more meats ... have meat almost daily
    3. Added more fats ... full fat butter, olive oil,
    5. No more hours of tiring endless cardio ...

Thanks for the synopis

What is the Recommendation on exercise then?
    :-)
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

So I am trying to go low carb. I have been doing this all week. Initially, I was doing under 80 grams of carbs and I didn't have any energy and couldn't even get the energy up to go to the gym. Then I tried doing no more than 100g. Do you all think this is a good start or should I go lower and just deal with the "carb flu"?

Thanks in advance for the help. I definitely need it.
  • heniko
    Options
    Frances to give you a more depth explaination of how I apply the principle of Primal Blueprint to my life I ...

I avoid poisons - like fast foods, any things that is marketed as 'diet', low fat dairy, refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup, beverage shoppes like Starbucks, food that have labels that read like scientific jargon not like a recipe, grains (they really don't settle well with me)

I eat mostly a on daily basis - liver fruits and vegetables (all kinds), eggs, canned tuna, olive oil, flax, water 3L or more, flaxmeal and dairy including butter, ghee, yoghurt and fromage frais

I eat weekly ... chicken or turkey (esp the breast) fish, duck fat, dairy including buttermilk, créme fraiche, cheese and milk

I eat sometimes ... beef, sausage, lamb, duck, coconut milk and oil (these are more rare then they are coslty where I live ... and I'm feeding 7 people so...)

I also fast intermittenly the whole day time I wake up to dinner or from dinner to lunch but not on a set schedule. And I have stopped eating at the conventional meal times. I eat only when I am hungry.

Primal fitness ...

Move alot at slow pace - Walking daily everywhere I go, don't use the car in my town, only for trips outside of my area.
    Lift heavy things - I lift heavy things like 5kg weights, my children LOL and my groceries (I don't use the car for shopping anymore) also most of the Bodyrock.tv workouts use your body's weight so that's lifting too
    Run fast once in a while aka HIIT - I do intense workouts from Bodyrock.tv (google it) And I do some time on my cross trainer since I don't want my husband to complain that's it's going to waste. I don't have a set workout time whenever I feel like it in the morning or even in the middle of the night.

Sleep ...

I make sure I get to bed before 10PM daily since I wake up at 5AM. I was an insomiac before but slowly I can get to sleep easily now.

Play ...

I make a BIG effort now to play with my children, since I have the stamina now Whoooohooo!

Sunlight ...

The daily walking takes care of that + I live in the Mediterranean there is lots of sunshine here!

Avoiding trauma ...

I have quit smoking and my several Coke liter bottle a day habit.

Any more questions I am happy to answer (if I can) ...

Mocha - I think in those first days or weeks better to stick to low impact activity like walking - no point to get crazy and injury yourself doing cardio when you are carb fluing! drink alots of water! If you are doing Atkins then you need to have 20g or less in Induction but other plans like Primal 50-100g is steady weight loss.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

So I am trying to go low carb. I have been doing this all week. Initially, I was doing under 80 grams of carbs and I didn't have any energy and couldn't even get the energy up to go to the gym. Then I tried doing no more than 100g. Do you all think this is a good start or should I go lower and just deal with the "carb flu"?

Are you eating enough FAT??? Most times when people lower their carbs they are not eating enough fat and too much protein and thats the reason for the low energy.

Also, you could be detoxing which makes you feel kind of blah and drained.
  • mocha76
    Options
    Frances to give you a more depth explaination of how I apply the principle of Primal Blueprint to my life I ...

I avoid poisons - like fast foods, any things that is marketed as 'diet', low fat dairy, refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup, beverage shoppes like Starbucks, food that have labels that read like scientific jargon not like a recipe, grains (they really don't settle well with me)

I eat mostly a on daily basis - liver fruits and vegetables (all kinds), eggs, canned tuna, olive oil, flax, water 3L or more, flaxmeal and dairy including butter, ghee, yoghurt and fromage frais

I eat weekly ... chicken or turkey (esp the breast) fish, duck fat, dairy including buttermilk, créme fraiche, cheese and milk

I eat sometimes ... beef, sausage, lamb, duck, coconut milk and oil (these are more rare then they are coslty where I live ... and I'm feeding 7 people so...)

I also fast intermittenly the whole day time I wake up to dinner or from dinner to lunch but not on a set schedule. And I have stopped eating at the conventional meal times. I eat only when I am hungry.

Primal fitness ...

Move alot at slow pace - Walking daily everywhere I go, don't use the car in my town, only for trips outside of my area.
    Lift heavy things - I lift heavy things like 5kg weights, my children LOL and my groceries (I don't use the car for shopping anymore) also most of the Bodyrock.tv workouts use your body's weight so that's lifting too
    Run fast once in a while aka HIIT - I do intense workouts from Bodyrock.tv (google it) And I do some time on my cross trainer since I don't want my husband to complain that's it's going to waste. I don't have a set workout time whenever I feel like it in the morning or even in the middle of the night.

Sleep ...

I make sure I get to bed before 10PM daily since I wake up at 5AM. I was an insomiac before but slowly I can get to sleep easily now.

Play ...

I make a BIG effort now to play with my children, since I have the stamina now Whoooohooo!

Sunlight ...

The daily walking takes care of that + I live in the Mediterranean there is lots of sunshine here!

Avoiding trauma ...

I have quit smoking and my several Coke liter bottle a day habit.

Any more questions I am happy to answer (if I can) ...

Mocha - I think in those first days or weeks better to stick to low impact activity like walking - no point to get crazy and injury yourself doing cardio when you are carb fluing! drink alots of water! If you are doing Atkins then you need to have 20g or less in Induction but other plans like Primal 50-100g is steady weight loss.

Thanks so much for the tips!

Although, I do not have the book yet, I am doing more of a Primal thing, so I will work with under 100g to start. I have gone to Mark's daily apple and also getting tips from here. I do need to get the book though because it seems like something I could live with long term.

Thanks again!
  • mocha76
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

Are you eating enough FAT??? Most times when people lower their carbs they are not eating enough fat and too much protein and thats the reason for the low energy.

I'm not sure if I'm eating enough fat or not. My macros are set at 35/35/30 (c/p/f). What do you suggest? I'm new at this. :-)
  • roqoru
    roqoru Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello! I would really like to join your group. I am starting the primal/paleo diet today and, frankly, I need all the help I can get. I have a scale (an evil little beast), and I frequently eat waaaaay too damn many carbs. :) So, here are my stats:

Name: Sarah Paige

Weight: 192.4

Goal Weight: First goal is 175, ultimate goal is between 150 and 160

Kids: Not yet, gotta finish school first

Married: yes

Height: 5'11" (people call me an Amazon, sometimes to be rude, and sometimes to be funny. I rather like the moniker :) )

From what I can tell, you guys have a weigh-in contest? What are you doing with that and how can I join? I have a pretty competitive nature, haha.

Thank you guys!

Sarah Paige
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Hey all, just wanted to check in here... been a good week for my eating so far, hoping to see some movement on the scale at week's end (will be 2 weeks since last weigh). I've been staying roughly around 15% carbs, 35% protein and 50% fat. We'll see how this works out for me!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Susan: LW 170.2, CW 171, gain of .8
    Marie: LW 204, CW 203, loss of 1
    Kimberly: LW 134, CW 133.6, loss of .4
    Kim: LW 199.4, CW 195.6, loss of 3.8
    Katy: LW 145.5, CW 145, loss of .5
    Stephanie: LW 136.5, CW 134.0, loss of 2.5
    Becca: LW 218, CW 216.6, loss of 1.4
    Donna: LW 150.5 CW 150.5 0 lbs lost (3rd week - plateau - help?)
    LaShaunda: CW 161.2 (just started)
    Amy: CW 113
    David LW 230.2 CW 227.6 lost 2.6lbs!
    Rachel LW256.8 CW 256.8 no loss...sad....
    Carol: LW 156 CW 156 (my fault for not doing the diet)
    Aurelina LW 167.8 CW 167 - lost .8 Dipped down to 166 during the week
    Lindsey LW 165 CW 162.2

Lindsey, I have you weighing in last week as 160.6...which do you want me to use?? I can change it to 165 :)
  • roqoru
    roqoru Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also, how do I change mmy goals for protein, carbs, and fat in my goal section? I know you can manually alter them, but I have no clue how. Help?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

I'm not sure if I'm eating enough fat or not. My macros are set at 35/35/30 (c/p/f). What do you suggest? I'm new at this. :-)

These are my macros...............others can chime in too with theirs, but this is the range at which I feel great!!

5-10% carbs / 20-25% protein / 60 - 75% fat

I just add coconut oil to everything I cook and it boosts the fat right on up. I also started using a lot of coconut milk.

Morning coffee which sometimes serves as my breakfast is coffee, coconut milk, splash of vanilla and coconut oil.....Stir together and yum.

Sometimes I make an egg cream which is protein packed, fat packed and very filling. I can post recipes if anyone is interested....
  • heniko
    Options
    Mocha - The ratios you mentioned are more for the Zone diet plan then Primal. Usually people doing Primal or even Paleo or Atkins go higher on the fats since fat is actually good for the body - opposite to what conventional wisdom has told us in the past. Read this here for more in depth info http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/

Unfortunately we have been lead to believe eating fat makes us fat. But in reality fat is pure energy for the body, while carbs turn into sugar which if not used turn into fat. No way you can burn enough carbs to not store it as fat if you are eating the typical SAD of 300g or more carbs daily. I think for people to finally open their eyes to eating more fat less carbs, we may need to use another word then fat.

I'm using 15/35/50 too like Brangwen - it seems to be working for me. This is week 4 I'm using this ratio. I was skeptical at first for such ratios as 60 or 70% but I was willing to try. It does wok so I'll keep going with it.

Most of us use fat to cook our food in like coconut oil, butter, bacon grease, olive oil etc. Plus you get fat that comes on the meat. Also fat from dairy, nut butters, For more info read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.

Welcome Sarah Paige! Great nice to see some tall girls too! Thank you for the add too! Well we do have an optional weekly weigh-in on Tuesday. But it's optional. The person with the most weight lost can pick a challenge for the next week. So far we have had do 30m excercise daily and tracking:checking in daily.
    Please check out the Paleo group (I gave you the link) lots of helpful info shared daily there :)
  • heniko
    Options
    Grokette - coconut oil to your morning coffee you say? Hmmm I like have to try this! I def want the egg cream recipe! pls share
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm a little late also but would like to join please. I don't have a scale but have been unsuccessfully trying to lose weight for a couple months now so not sure where i started. I'm guessing 186. So i will try to weigh myself at a friends house tomorrow to see where i am beginning. I have been trying a low carb diet for a few days now and i think my cravings are down some. I was definitely a carb addict. I don't know about the paleo thing but good luck with it.
    Name-Monica
    Age-32
    weight 186?
    Goal for the end of this 175.
    Kids-4
    Married-yes
    Ht-5-4

Welcome!!! Paleo is just a low carb way of healthy eating.