No Grain...No Pain!!!

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just posted a beanless turkey chili on the recipes section of the web site if you're interested. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/244130-carb-conscious-slow-cooked-beanless-turkey-chili
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Yes I am counting calories
    This will be my third day and my first full day with the Carbs <100

I'm not sure what to eat though to get the carbs < 100 !
  • Cletc
    Options
    What variety and types of nuts should I buy?
    Does it matter?
    thanks
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Yes I am counting calories
    This will be my third day and my first full day with the Carbs <100

I'm not sure what to eat though to get the carbs < 100 !

If you're not eating grains, it's very easy to keep carbs under 100g. The only foods you're getting carbs from are veggies, and fruits if you are eating them. Also, some dairy has carbs. You can look at my diary if you want.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    What variety and types of nuts should I buy?
    Does it matter?
    thanks

Stick with almonds and walnuts. NO PEANUTS. They are loaded with lectin and are a legume. A no-no for Paleo/Primal eaters.

If you're goal is weightloss, easy on the nuts.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't know about the 0.7 but instinctively this morning I set my protein % to what comes to 0.7.
    It just made sense to me
    I still haven't come close. Wow.

Thanks for your help !

You could set it as low as .5g per pound if you are not working too much. And as you go, add more. Working up to it I think is key. Your system ajustd better this way I think.

Well Primal allows for all the nuts. But Paleo does not allow peanuts. But I don't see the point of making prefection the enemy of good enough. If you've stopped eating grains then that's the main point here! Others will follow later. Personally, I eat all nuts, except peanuts (but only cos the last time from a street vendour, I ate them they made me sick) Macadamia nuts, almonds and walnuts are exceptionally good but others have good properties also. But as Soozie said for wieght loss go easy on the nuts!

I track or calorie count too, since 3m into a Primal I think I don't have all the knowledge. But even days when I log in my food late, I see I am right on track so it's just a matter of confidence for me. Meat, fruit and veg really don't pack on calories. white carbs do! Good luck and keep us posted !
  • roqoru
    roqoru Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So I started the primal eating plan yesterday, and I found I wasn't as hungry as I usually am. I ate way too few calories, which was bad, but I wasn't hungry, which is good (??). I guess the one thing I am going to have trouble with is figuring out how to add so much more fat to my diet. Can anyone help me with that? I've been living low/non-fat for so damned long that I have no earthly clue how to get 55% of my calories to be fat.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Good morningin Heniko, KJackson and SOOZIE!!!!

How is everyone this fine morning?!?!?!

I am feeling fine and fantastic.

Up and at 'em this morning.........

Breakfast cooked, ate, lunches made and dishes done <check>
    Walked the Dogs <check>
    Bed made, showered and dressed <check>
    Livingroom cleaned <check>
    Trash Taken out <check>
    Arrived at work at 7am <check>

I am ready to take on the world!!!!!!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    So I started the primal eating plan yesterday, and I found I wasn't as hungry as I usually am. I ate way too few calories, which was bad, but I wasn't hungry, which is good (??). I guess the one thing I am going to have trouble with is figuring out how to add so much more fat to my diet. Can anyone help me with that? I've been living low/non-fat for so damned long that I have no earthly clue how to get 55% of my calories to be fat.

Coconut oil is the best way to add fat to your plan.............If you allowing yourself butter, then butter too. Get some Amish roll butter or Kerry's Irish Gold butter.
  • heniko
    Options
    On average, I think women would need from 100 to 150g of protein depending on their lean body weight. But if you eat 3 eggs, bacon or turkey slices for breakfast, somes deviled eggs as a snack, one 4oz or more portion of meat (of your choice) at lunch and dinner and npn-stratcht veg you want ...you've got your 120g of protein.
  • Cletc
    Options
    You can look at my diary if you want.

Thanks,

I did, it was very helpful :laugh:
  • heniko
    Options

Adding fat is easy :laugh: Use butter or coconut oil to cook with. Add coconut milk or even oil (as Cora suggested) in your coffee not milk. Buy marbled meats not the defatted ones. Use dressings made with real mayo or oil. Eat some nuts! Spread on some nut butters like almond, cashew or macadamia nut. Toss in some flaxseeds in your dressing, yoghurt or salad. Or make flaxmeal 'bread' Eat avocadoes. Eat some fatty fish like salmon, mackeral, tuna. Make some smoothies with coconut, avocado, flax or nuts in them. Make a pesto. Eat some high quality chocolate. Eat some omega 3 eggs. :laugh: Fat is easy to add! While I think least for me protein is more challenging!
  • heniko
    Options
    Good morningin Heniko, KJackson and SOOZIE!!!!

How is everyone this fine morning?!?!?!

I am feeling fine and fantastic.

Up and at 'em this morning.........

Breakfast cooked, ate, lunches made and dishes done <check>
    Walked the Dogs <check>
    Bed made, showered and dressed <check>
    Livingroom cleaned <check>
    Trash Taken out <check>
    Arrived at work at 7am <check>

I am ready to take on the world!!!!!!!

Good morning doll! Glad to see your day is starting off good! How is the job coming? Good vibes all around!:flowerforyou:
  • roqoru
    roqoru Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Adding fat is easy :laugh: Use butter or coconut oil to cook with. Add coconut milk or even oil (as Cora suggested) in your coffee not milk. Buy marbled meats not the defatted ones. Use dressings made with real mayo or oil. Eat some nuts! Spread on some nut butters like almond, cashew or macadamia nut. Toss in some flaxseeds in your dressing, yoghurt or salad. Or make flaxmeal 'bread' Eat avocadoes. Eat some fatty fish like salmon, mackeral, tuna. Make some smoothies with coconut, avocado, flax or nuts in them. Make a pesto. Eat some high quality chocolate. Eat some omega 3 eggs. :laugh: Fat is easy to add! While I think least for me protein is more challenging!

Thanks!!!
  • Cletc
    Options
    BREAKFAST
    2 eggs
    1 slice cheese, cheddar, Tillamook
    bell pepper
    cilantro
    3 ounce Avocado
    60 grams Salsa

I haven't figured out the rest of my day, but that should hold me over for a while.
  • Cletc
    Options
    I have since spent a few hours at Primal-101 clicking around and reading up.
    I have to say, a lot of what he said is what I did (not knowing) to lose my 35 pounds in 2009.

Only I don't remember eating so much fat or calories, but a lot of it reflected.

Thanks for the referrals and info and encouragement.
  • heniko
    Options
    BREAKFAST
    2 eggs
    bell pepper
    cilantro
    3 ounce Avocado
    60 grams Salsa

I haven't figured out the rest of my day, but that should hold me over for a while.

Great start! Here are some more brekkie ideas - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/243207-breakfast-ideas-for-primal-paleo-low-carb-gluten-free-gr?page=1#posts-3213406

Eat some meat at each of your meals. Snack on some nuts, or nut butters. Add some fat too! Alots of ideas on everydaypelo.com I'm currently going throu all the everydaypaleo and raising paleo child podcasts.

I love MDA Definitive Guides. Very well organized and visually appealing. Everyone here and on MDA are very helpful and friendly!
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BREAKFAST
    2 eggs
    bell pepper
    cilantro
    3 ounce Avocado
    60 grams Salsa

Great start! Here are some more brekkie ideas - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/243207-breakfast-ideas-for-primal-paleo-low-carb-gluten-free-gr?page=1#posts-3213406

Eat some meat at each of your meals. Snack on some nuts, or nut butters. Add some fat too! Alots of ideas on everydaypelo.com I'm currently going throu all the everydaypaleo and raising paleo child podcasts.

I love MDA Definitive Guides. Very well organized and visually appealing. Everyone here and on MDA are very helpful and friendly!

Thanks for all the info, Nikole!! Everyone has been so helpful!!