What gym types can't you stand?

Options
A bit of a rant...Not meant to start an argument.

So today I had to deal with the two gym types that I can't stand the most.

First, I had a really creepy guy staring at me the entire first half of my workout. I wasn't paying much attention to him, but could feel his eyes on me, probably undressing me. :sick: He felt the need to go into a full run, all while staring at me, probably to see if I would pay attention to him. I got on the treadmill right as he was done. He was trying to say something, or make it a point that I noticed his workout. Thankfully I held firm and didn't give him attention because he left soon after.

It's not that I don't like the attention, it's just that staring at me for 20-25 minutes starts to get creepy. Not to mention, I am married!

Then, after creeper left, I had to deal with the grunter. I had my ear buds in, volume at almost full blast, and could STILL hear him grunting. This wasn't a light grunt, this was the loudest grunt I've ever heard. Every rep was grunt, grunt, grunt.

Ugh! :grumble: Anyone at the gym you can't stand? Like I said, this is all fun, just a bit of a rant, be kind! :heart:

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    We have a grunter that me and my boss joke about all the time. Not only does he grunt but his workout is very weird. I cannot figure out why he's running on the treadmill then gets off to run a lap around the indoor track.

I also can't stand the people that don't shower after a workout (they clearly busted a sweat) but get dressed and do their hair and makeup. Funky butt!
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I actually just can't do gyms for the pure fact that people stare. I am super uncoordinated and probably look ridiculous doing anything.
    Years back I joined a woman's gym and I just couldn't do it. Sucked because I paid for a whole year and went for one week, tops =(
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the cell phone campers. If you want to talk or text on your damn phone, do it out of my way. grrrrrrrrr..... >:)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can deal with the grunters. Yeah, they're annoying if they're really loud, but I just try and focus on what I'm doing and ignore them.

I don't like gawkers, but I have the ability to ignore them too. Or if I'm feeling nasty, I'll look them in the face and say "Did you need something?" Usually, I just try and ignore them.

I don't like people who go to the gym, stand at machines and talk. If you want to talk, PLEASE go sit in the chairs (or better yet.. go HOME) and talk. Don't hover over machines/weights and gab. There ARE other people here and they might just wanna use the machine you're hanging all over. If you're genuinely using the machine I want to use, I can be patient and wait til you're done. If you're just standing there and running your mouth - move.

Those who don't wipe down the equipment when they're done. BLECH.

And worst ones? The ones who don't wear enough deodorant or ones who slather themselves in perfume or cologne. I have horrible allergies and I don't want to smell your mix of sweaty skin and over-applied perfume. ICK. And really, don't tell me you can't smell yourself if you don't wear deodorant - you're making the entire gym stink! I may not smell like a rose, but I don't smell like body odor!
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love the ones that stare at their muscles in the mirrors or the ones that do a heavy rep and then look around to see who noticed them..
    oh and the puffed up guys that have to walk sideways just to get through doors.. Sightly exaggerated, i think so : )

dont forget the women that come to the gym practically wearing lingerie and get on the hip abducuter machines.. HELLO..i can see your hooohaw..

:ohwell:
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    There is a girl in my gym that has clearly had a boob job. and not a good boob job, but the one where there are two canteloupes attached to her chest with a huge gap in between and skin stretched so thin, it may burst. Anyway, my rant is, I know her fake puppies do not move, I get it, that's the beauty of fake boobs. But BIOTCH put on a sports bra and not a teeny tiny little cloth as a tank top where your nasty nast water baloons are threatening me to go permanently blind cause your nipples are also in a perma "turkey's done" state. yuck. She is NOT hot either....anyhoo.....over and out.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    We have this one guy at our gym who shows up in black slacks, long sleeved striped dress shirt and a tie. He walks around doing nothing for over an hour. Seriously, just walking around the machines. He will occasionally get on a weight machine and do no more than 12 reps and walk away without cleaning the machine. Then goes to water fountain, takes a sip of water and continues his aimless walking around. It is so odd. But, recently he has been wearing jogging pants and no tie...
  • Lpfeifer419
    Options
    You guys are making me laugh! Thanks!:laugh:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    People who sit at machines and do not let anybody else on. This is a serious conversation I had with one:

"Hey, mind if I get a set?"

"Yes I do, I'm doing a power workout."

"You're going pretty slow for a power workout."

"It's not ment to be fast."

"Yeah but you are waiting like five minutes in between each set. By the time I do two sets your next set would be up."

"No, I'm just going to sit here."
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

dont forget the women that come to the gym practically wearing lingerie and get on the hip abducuter machines.. HELLO..i can see your hooohaw..

:ohwell:

OMG.
    I deal with SOOOO many of those girls at my gym.
    It's gross.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ugh. yesterday my trainer and I were in the weight room, and the guy next to me was like....making this horrible coughing sound. like with phlem. or something. he sounded like he had something serious to get out of his lungs. or like he was about to die. gross!! if you sound like you belong in a sick bay dont come to the gym!
  • Swilson87
    Swilson87 Posts: 139
    Options
    I "CANNOT" stand the social clubs. Social clubs are the groups of men or women that come together, or meet each other there. They spend the majority of the time hogging the things I need while they talk about all kinds of crap. With that said I rarely wait on them. I only wait long enough for them complete what I consider enough sets, and I just start using the equipment. Talk on the phone, or go to each others house. My time is limited in the mornings, so I am not waiting on their conversations to end.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    sorry you had to experience the gym perv, I hate that guy too.

I really hate the loiterer, you know the person that just sits there at a station and does nothing but yet when you approach them and ask if you can do your sets they get all upset and go to the front desk to complain.
    My wife likes to do the circuit training and i sometimes help her so we're going around doing the circuit when we come upon this person. I politely asked her if she could move and she got all pissy. Oh well.

another type that I find amusing is (and I don't mean to sound stereo typing here but it's been a couple of girls doing it) are the ladies that just parade around the gym jumping from station to station not really doing any work and then they get on the phone telling whoever is on the other side how "Hard" they have been working out for the last 2 hours... LOL I really get a kick out of that.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The ones that stand over you and ask you 5 times are you done with that machine yet? Uhhhhh No you idiot, because obviously I'm still on it! And then the Social Rats! That just stand around and conversatefor 30 min.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options

I don't like people who go to the gym, stand at machines and talk. If you want to talk, PLEASE go sit in the chairs (or better yet.. go HOME) and talk. Don't hover over machines/weights and gab. There ARE other people here and they might just wanna use the machine you're hanging all over. If you're genuinely using the machine I want to use, I can be patient and wait til you're done. If you're just standing there and running your mouth - move.

Those who don't wipe down the equipment when they're done. BLECH.

And worst ones? The ones who don't wear enough deodorant or ones who slather themselves in perfume or cologne. I have horrible allergies and I don't want to smell your mix of sweaty skin and over-applied perfume. ICK. And really, don't tell me you can't smell yourself if you don't wear deodorant - you're making the entire gym stink! I may not smell like a rose, but I don't smell like body odor!

Oh yes!!! I also have the people who will use like 3 machines at once!!! They carry a towel and water bottle with them and set it at whatever machines they want. Use one, leave bottle, go to next, leave towel, use diff machine. Just freaking use it, then wipe the damn thing down and move onto the next machine!!! Or whenever someone sits on a machine for like ever!!! 10 reps-rest 5 mins-10 reps-rest 5 mins...seriously!?!?!?!? I am freaking waiting!!!
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There's this man at my gym ( probably in his later 60s) who wears the SHORTEST shorts! I know he probably has netting in there but I always just feel like something going to just hang out...I just don't think it's acceptable for anyone to wear that short of shorts at the gym, especially when you see someones buttcheeks when they're running! Not to mention this man has the gnaliest mustache that he clearly waxes the edges to curl. hillarious, but still grossed out by his short shorts.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My gyms group fitness class room is all mirrors on 3 walls. There is a woman there who is probably in her mid 40s (I only say thing bc you'd imagine a young ditz doing it) but she will only talk to people she sees are as fit as she is---totally ignores my heavier friend who is standing RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!-and looks at herself in the mirror more than she looks at me while she is talking to me! And all she talks about is her body!

She actually told me last time that she got a tummy tuck recently and is planning another one when she loses another 10 pounds so her skin doesnt hang! Last week, I was talking to my friend about how my arms arent looking as toned anymore and I may switch one of my cardio classes with weights...she came over and actually touched my abdomen (sorry I dont know you-dont touch me) and said "Oh I know what you mean, have a tummy tuck like me, that;ll take care of it." I said through clenched teeth" I WAS TALKING ABOUT MY ARMS!" Shes also the same woman who makes the instructor stop and say "(enter her name here), we are only warming up right now. You should slow down."

Sorry for the vent---she just ticks me off!
  • cwbzfan
    cwbzfan Posts: 14
    Options
    For me - it's the perfume and makeup wearers at 5 a.m. I totally don't get it. And the chit-chatters in my way when I'm trying to get in some serious reps. But the perfume is the worst - makes me want to gag when I'm working hard - trying to get in some deep inhales . . . okay makes me want to puke just thinking about it . . ugghhh!
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The one really nice thing about Planet Fitness is that they do not allow the grunters or power lifters. All that is frowned on and an alarm goes off..."The Lunk Alarm".

One thing about starers......maybe they are really not staring as much as looking right through you. I catch myself doing it all the time, and hope it isn't interrupted as such. It is more a far off blank look, my mind is usually far away or I'm concentrating.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I <3 PF.

But my gym is hilarious.