Who reads books?

Options
binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/85938

If anyone reads books, it’s probably you guys. But according to some recently-gathered (and frankly startling) statistics, you’re a dying breed. To wit:

• One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
• 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
• 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
• 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
• 57 percent of new books are not read to completion.
I can relate to that last one — I buy lots of books (or check them out from the library) but a significant portion of them I only get about halfway through — or less, if they don’t hold my interest. But that stat about 42% of college grads never reading another book? That’s a little frightening. One thing I’m not certain about, and isn’t mentioned in these statistics, is how they stack up over time — but I’ll bet you money that more than 42% of college grads kept reading books in the 1950s, 60s, 70s. So what’s to blame? A shift in popular entertainment? The dominance of the screen over the printed page? Are books just less interesting than they used to be? Or are we, as a society, getting … dumber?

What do you think?

In addition...will readers like the nook and kindle change that? Personally I won't use either because I like the feel of a book...and that's coming from a geek.

Right now I am making my way though The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ. I am not sure of this will be read to completion.

Replies

• JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    "In addition...will readers like the nook and kindle change that? Personally I won't use either because I like the feel of a book...and that's coming from a geek. "

I love reading. Sure reading on the computer is easier but there is nothing better than sititng down with a nice hard cover book and reading it...also since i want to be a writer the thought of someone putting my book in that little device just makes me want to cry....the pages of the book are the best part:happy: The warm feeling of those white pages!
  • heatherann76
    Options
    I read a lot! It is nothing for me to have 2-3 books going at the same time. I think it is a shame more people don't read really. I just finished Working It Out by Abby Rike about 5 minutes ago and what an inspiration her story is. I really thought I would hear more about her time at The Biggest Loser Ranch but I didn't feel deprived at the end either.

I have a stack of book reviews to finish for my blog and more to write as well. I guess I am just a little more focused on my exercise as of late. The one good thing about my kindle rather than a book is sometimes it reads to me. I can always do that while on the treadmill if I run out of netflix that looks appealing.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm always reading something. I do own a nook, but it will never stop me from buying real books. I reserve nook purchases for authors I've never heard of or up-and-comers. All my favorite authors still get hub's hard-earned dollars. LOL! I've had mine since Thanksgiving and I've not spent a dime yet on an ebook. I download the BN free selections every Friday (if they sound interesting) and get the rest from smashwords.com (lots of self-published stuff).
  • dkug1964
    dkug1964 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love to read. And I love the look, feel and smell of the printed page. At first I found the statistics you put on here shocking. Then I thought of my own kids. Not so shocking after all.
  • Method2Madness
    Options
    Scary. I'd like to hope the research behind this was flawed and that it's not really this bad. How do you do anything successfully if you're not reading thorughout adulthood?

As a graduate student, I'm most definately in the reads lots of books category at the moment, but I've been reading (fiction and non-fiction) off and on again ever since college.

I think the nook will eventually make some reading more accessible to people simply from a cost and convenience perspective. However, when it comes to studying, I always prefer the hard copy so I can hilight, underline, make notes to the side, and have about six references open at my desk while writing a major paper.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love reading books. I prefer paper to on screen reading as well. I love used & new books! I've also tried to read books that are literature classics that they didn't force us to read in school, just so I know the story, and not just the basics that society constantly refers to. Everyone knows that the Grapes of Wrath is about the Great Depression, but do they remember the beginning of the book about a turtle, no one talks about that turtle...lol
  • JEK717
    Options
    I love to read. And I love the look, feel and smell of the printed page.

Nicely stated! I completely agree:happy:
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in the minority, then. I've probably already bought 25 books since the beginning of the year, and I've read 7 books so far this year (yes, I keep track, because I'm a nerd that way, lol.) I think people would rather have the instant gratification of watching TV or movies, where they don't have to use their imaginations--it's already *right there* in front of them. It makes me sad.

I am also turned off by the e-readers; I like the way books feel and smell, and just everything about them. Guess I'm an old relic ;)
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    The really weird thing is that I hadn't done any reading for pleasure from high school until about 3 years ago (when I was 28). Now, I'm constantly reading. I use Kindle on my iPhone, but I also buy real books. I don't know what made me change...
  • LuckySe7en
    Options
    I read about 3 or 4 books a week, and I just HAVE to finish to see if there's a big twist at the end or something. I used to not be able to read very much because its hard to get to a library for me, and I cant afford to buy books all the time. But now I have a ton of books on my computer, and just recently got a Nook, so I have all the books I could possibly want now lol

I have a brother who doesnt like to read. I find it really sad when people tell me they don't enjoy books because they have so much to offer if you have an open mind.
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    "In addition...will readers like the nook and kindle change that? Personally I won't use either because I like the feel of a book...and that's coming from a geek. "

I love reading. Sure reading on the computer is easier but there is nothing better than sititng down with a nice hard cover book and reading it...also since i want to be a writer the thought of someone putting my book in that little device just makes me want to cry....the pages of the book are the best part:happy: The warm feeling of those white pages!

I have to agree with what you are saying.. I love relaxing in the tub, laying in bed, or relaxing at the parking reading a good book and if I happen to buy a bad novel that's OK It will just take longer to finish.. Now I would like to have a nook but looking at the screen for long period of time can not be good for the eyes.. But I love to read and my daughter love to read..
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I love reading books. I prefer paper to on screen reading as well. I love used & new books! I've also tried to read books that are literature classics that they didn't force us to read in school, just so I know the story, and not just the basics that society constantly refers to. Everyone knows that the Grapes of Wrath is about the Great Depression, but do they remember the beginning of the book about a turtle, no one talks about that turtle...lol
    I still have flashbacks form that turtle. I have a high tolerance, and i get the symbolism, but damn that was boring.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I have to agree with what you are saying.. I love relaxing in the tub, laying in bed, or relaxing at the parking reading a good book and if I happen to buy a bad novel that's OK It will just take longer to finish.. Now I would like to have a nook but looking at the screen can not be good for the eyes.. But I love to read and my daughter love to read..
    Plus drop that book in the tub and you aren't out that much. Drop the kindle in the tub...
  • JEK717
    Options
    I have to agree with what you are saying.. I love relaxing in the tub, laying in bed, or relaxing at the parking reading a good book and if I happen to buy a bad novel that's OK It will just take longer to finish.. Now I would like to have a nook but looking at the screen can not be good for the eyes.. But I love to read and my daughter love to read..
    Plus drop that book in the tub and you aren't out that much. Drop the kindle in the tub...

Haha ooopsss:sad: :sad: :cry:
  • louwho36
    louwho36 Posts: 53
    Options
    I am an avid reader. Have been all my life. I have to agree with you on the part about just loving the feel of a book. There's just something about the way it makes you feel. I got my love of reading from my mom. From the time I was a baby she read to me every night until I was able to read on my own. I was about 5 when I started reading to her. That bond we had was one of the best memories of my childhood. The way she would read in different voices and let me turn the pages is why I truly believe in books and what they can do. As an adult I carry on that tradition with my nieces and nephews. Its so much fun to watch their faces when you switch voices or make the soun effects. To this day I have a vast collection of books in pretty much any genre but my favorite at the moment is suspense/thrillers. The way it makes you hold your breath or want to peak ahead just to see what's going to happen next, there's nothing like it.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I have no self control when it comes to a good book. If it is a compelling book, I will read it almost straight through if possible. At 3 in the morning, I will count the pages to the next chapter, thinking "this is my last one. I can stop at any time. i don't have a problem".
  • JEK717
    Options
    I have no self control when it comes to a good book. If it is a compelling book, I will read it almost straight through if possible. At 3 in the morning, I will count the pages to the next chapter, thinking "this is my last one. I can stop at any time. i don't have a problem".

OMG me too. I say okay only 6 pages till chapter 29.I will finish this then go to bed....5 minutes later..."oh no want happened to the little girl...did she get kidnapped or did her father take her" so on to chapter 30 i go....
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    However, when it comes to studying, I always prefer the hard copy so I can hilight, underline, make notes to the side, and have about six references open at my desk while writing a major paper.

I constantly read, as does my 12 son (he steals half my books). My husband has read more after college than ever before. I used my kindle frequently. I didn't want one because I was afraid of loosing the feel of the book, but don't feel that at all and loved it for doing class work for my Master's degree- I can make comments, highlights, and the search function is better than an index. Plus, I can take all the books with me to review and study in one small package! No more choosing which one to take or read. I also had it read some of the texts to me as I was doing some long commutes. I'll pick up new books on the kindle or paper books- either way- if it's printed, I read it.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i read a book a day. in fact, i own a company that reviews and does beta reading. :)

my disjointed thoughts: reading blogs and on-line news sources has really changed the face of reading for pleasure. most people don't buy manuals anymore because they can find it online for free or cheap. most people don't buy hardcovers anymore because if they wait two months, it will come out in paperback. people originally loved ebooks because they were cheaper than print books, but are getting frustrated with the cost being the same or higher. editors do not take unsolicited manuscripts because their workload has doubled and everything has to go through an agent. publishers pay ridiculous amount of money for 'celebrity' writers that most people don't want to read and wonder why they don't have good sales. reading 'the great american novel' is made so dull and unrelatable during high school that the 'texting generation' don't continue. tv is instant entertainment and requires no effort or thought.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/85938

If anyone reads books, it’s probably you guys. But according to some recently-gathered (and frankly startling) statistics, you’re a dying breed. To wit:

• One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
    • 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
    • 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
    • 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
    • 57 percent of new books are not read to completion.
    I can relate to that last one — I buy lots of books (or check them out from the library) but a significant portion of them I only get about halfway through — or less, if they don’t hold my interest. But that stat about 42% of college grads never reading another book? That’s a little frightening. One thing I’m not certain about, and isn’t mentioned in these statistics, is how they stack up over time — but I’ll bet you money that more than 42% of college grads kept reading books in the 1950s, 60s, 70s. So what’s to blame? A shift in popular entertainment? The dominance of the screen over the printed page? Are books just less interesting than they used to be? Or are we, as a society, getting … dumber?

What do you think?

In addition...will readers like the nook and kindle change that? Personally I won't use either because I like the feel of a book...and that's coming from a geek.

Right now I am making my way though The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ. I am not sure of this will be read to completion.

Disturbing. I haven't been in high school in 8 years, or school at all in 4, yet I still continue to read 2-6 books a month. :/
    My husband wants to buy me a nook or kindle, he thinks we will say money as I refuse the library as I like to see how many I've read LOL! Plus, I too like that feel of actually turning pages and the smell of an old book you haven't read in years and just found at the bottom of the closet. Yea, I'm weird I know...

The 80% of families not buying books was the worst though. How can so many parents not buy their children books? But then again, I have children who prefer books to toys. O.o

I have 4 series I am currently waiting for the next, and need to re-read the HP series before July 15th LOL!
    Plus, I just got my own copy of Steven Kings The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, my absolute favorite SK book, so I will be reading that as soon as I finish this weeks book.