Who reads books?

Options

Replies

• KristenAnn711
    Options
    I love reading! I just went to goodwill and only spent 1.50 on 4 "new" books!! my boyfriend always has to drag me out of a book
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    That's just sad! I love to read and I'd rather have a book although I wouldn't mind having a Kindle or Nook or whatever for convenience but I'd still want the actual book to put into my own personal library. I'm currently reading Fireproof by Eric Wilson. I just couldn't imagine a life without books to read.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love to read anything, from a romance love story to something on metaphysics to everything in between. I read about 2 or 3 books a week.

I didnt like the nook book readers or other kinds like that at first but now they have a dull finish which makes them easier on the eyes.

I still do not have one because I love reading a book and the feel of the pages is comforting. I supose in the long run having a nook

would be better for the environment taking up less resources, and might be good for traveling where you have limited space for books.

Recently finished "The Lucky One" by Nicholas Spark cute romance story

"The Eye of the I from Which Nothing is Hidden" by Dr David R. Hawkins very deep and contemplative reading

"Have a Little Fatih" by Mitch Albom just starting but love all his books.

My favorite book of all time is one of his "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" if you read one book a year pick this one.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Double post, sorry!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I find these statistics startling. Reading is really one of life's joys.

I probably average 1 book per week. However I have to admit that I rarely buy them. I use the library and have some friends who lend them to me. I don't usually re-read books so I just don't see the point in keeping them.

I have to admit that following college I probably didn't pick up a book for 5 years, having so much assigned reading for years really burned me out.

I just finished "Water for Elephants", it was excellent!! I love Koontz and King.
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow, shame on us! Those statistics are disgusting. I LOVE to read. I hardly ever read in H.S. -- seriously Cliffs Notes got me thru all the books I was supposed to read. I only read one --yep, ONE -- book in H.S. and that was b/c it was only 100 pages. But once I graduated and went to my trade school and could choose what I wanted to read, I never looked back. I've read tons of books. I've read several genres -- Sci Fi Fantasy Horror Romance Mystery and I'm blanking on others. My husband is beyond an avid reader. Let's just say our house is practically a fire hazard with books. I am not exaggerating (probably underestimating, too) but he probably has at least 3000 books. He never gets rid of them -- and he even pulls them out and rereads chapters or whole books so it's not like they just sit there and gather dust. Thank goodness we have a big garage for overflow. He loves just about most genres of books, too. I call him a book slut. He'll read just about anything.

A personal story from my mom -- who is a crazy bookaholic. When she was a little girl (back in the '40s), her parents would get her a book for her birthday, one book. They never bought her any more books throughout the year, even though she pleaded. She'd read that book over and over and over again. There was no library anywhere near her house. Who doesn't buy their kid a book when they want to read? Her parents could more than afford a book, too. They were well-off. I guess they were from a different era. Now my mom has a book log to keep track of all the books she's gone thru. She reads several books a week. She also reads the last page of EVERY book she reads. If she doesn't like the ending, she won't read the book. :laugh:
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Recently finished "The Lucky One" by Nicholas Spark cute romance story

Cool! I went to school with Nicholas Sparks. I was in his brother's class a year ahead of him. Never knew he was a writer until earlier this year when I stumbled across it on a friends Facebook page.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Nook! The only thing I don't like is I can't loan books out. I think I read more because of my Nook. Its great, if I finish a book in a series I can download the next one right away and start on that! WHO NEEDS SLEEP!!!

I don't use my IPad as an e-reader because I think it would be too big and uncomfy. at first I was against e-readers all together, but after using my Nook I LOVE IT! I still buy traditional books if I want to. For example i just bought the Zombie Survival Guide in real book, because seriously when I need it my Nook wont have power. :wink:
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the kindle/nook present a disservice to parenting. You know how many times I told my kids I walked to school uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow carrying 6 pounds of school books.
    What will they have? "I remember walking to school with my Kindle.."
    You can stop right there.

LMAO...you're a riot
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I have started the A Song of Fire and Ice series. I read Game of Thrones in 2 days, currently working on A Clash of Kings. They are showing he book a Game of Thrones on HBO now! Pretty neat. Before that, I hadn't read a book in about 5 years
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    This just confirms my theory that girls who read are sexy, judging by the replies!

I read a ton, but I do a lot of reading on my iPad or iPhone. I do some reading of actual books too. Sometimes I'll buy a book in both normal and ebook format so I have it with me at all times.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    This just confirms my theory that girls who read are sexy, judging by the replies!

I read a ton, but I do a lot of reading on my iPad or iPhone. I do some reading of actual books too. Sometimes I'll buy a book in both normal and ebook format so I have it with me at all times.
    Intelligence is amazingly sexy.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've always been a "lazy" reader; for me the difficulty is staying focused. My mind wanders a tad too much. However, I do read a lot of blogs, and technical books; but not emails. I tend to ignore emails for some reason. *snark*

Seriously, I envy anyone who is an avid reader. I'm considering getting a Kindle; and having a library of books (technical and non-technical).

The irony is that I've written a handful of manuals, contributed to other internal handbooks. Additionally, was published in a few magazines; typically short articles and a couple of white papers. I've probably written more pieces of work than I've read books for leisure.

Quick Story (about the only book I've read in my adult life; cover-to-cover):
    When I was in the service and stationed overseas, circa 1991. There was a period of a several weeks where I was a lone soldier, without any form of entertainment or work. I actually resorted to reading "Misery" by Stephen King. It was fabulous. I got to the point where my eyes didn't see the words on the page, but instead my conscious was playing "movie" in my mind. It was a truly magical feeling. Unfortunately, have not experienced that kind of reading again.
    (Oh yeah, I did learn that the book is way better than the movie.)
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Millionaires

I've heard, one of the common personality traits of a millionaire is that they read one non-fiction book per week.

"I'm going to read two non-fiction books a week and hope to become a multi-millionaire." - Anonymous
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the research summary. Of course, you will get different results based upon who is polled. Poll a bunch of students at a football game and you'll get different answers than if you poll a bunch of the same at the bookstore or library. Trust me, we can all manipulate statistics to say whatever we want.

From personal experience, it was always said at my University that the surest way to kill someone's love of reading was to send them off to college. I don't think I read a book for fun from the time I was 22-28 years old. Now, love the written word in any form.

Recommended: anything by Kate Morton--beautifully descriptive prose, well though out story lines. Also big fan of Dan Brown and Ken Folliett.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I am a self confessed life long book addict. I usually have at least 3 books on the go at any one time, both real paper and on my Sony ebook.
    I use the ebook for 'throw away' novels, the kind of thing you read once then send on to the nearest charity shop. That way I can spend more money on hard backs by authors I really love.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Also big fan of Dan Brown and Ken Folliett.

Dan Brown is ok, but I love Ken Follett. Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books ever and resides on my "keepers" shelf.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Read for pleasure every day. So does my wife and all my daughters. The one thing I have with me at all times is a book. Never know when you might have some down time to read. (Dr.'s office, DMV, Waiting for the women to finish getting ready)

I even make a Book Mark every year with the current pics of my daughters and wife on it.

Currently reading "Fade Away" by Harlan Coben.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the kindle/nook present a disservice to parenting. You know how many times I told my kids I walked to school uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow carrying 6 pounds of school books.
    What will they have? "I remember walking to school with my Kindle.."
    You can stop right there.

BJ, You've got it all wrong!! You don't tell them it was a kindle, you just tell them that while you were walking uphill in the snow to and from school with holes in your shoes...
    that you were carrying 35 BOOKS!!! Forget the electronic part!!! DUH!! Your poor kids are going to think you had it 'good' as a child! Don't ruin it for the rest of us!!!

ps, intelligence is UBER sexy!! I love my man for his brain!! ...ok well, BOTH of them... :bigsmile:
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    I love to read! Always have. I do tend not to finish books if they don't keep my interest, and maybe a third to half the books I pick up, I never finish. I prefer reading to tv and love to read before bed. I read anything that will make my life more positive: how to books, inspirational, spiritual, Christian fiction, fiction, devotionals, the Bible, books about certain interests, anything that keeps my interest and betters me as a person.

Regarding the kindle, I have one and love it! I do feel bad that I am putting bookstores out of business, but since I found used book stores, I have a hard time paying full price for a brand new book when there are so many used ones out there. I still buy used books, though. The kindle is so handy cause I am usually reading several things at once, so I can bring my kindle and have my devotionals, my Bible, my fiction books, and my other stuff all on one small device that I can take with me!

So now I am rambling, but I do love to read!! Thanks for the interesting stats. It's actually sad that people don't read more. I try to read to my 2 year old daughter every day and she loves books. Hopefully she will continue to throughout her life!