any ideas for a substitute for mayo in tuna fish sandwich?!?

Options

Replies

• greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I always use 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 tuna pouch in water, 1 tbsp mayo, 2 tsp mustard, some pepper & paprika. Low calorie this way... Around 340 depending on the bread you use
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Helman's Light tastes way better than the fat free, & is still much lower in calories than regular Helman's.
  • suzukigurl
    Options
    I eat my tuna rolled up on lettuce also, saves calories and unwanted carbs from bread :smile:
  • omfatz
    omfatz Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm going to try the Greek yogurt.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I use any kind of mustard, and add some seasonings (dill, red pepper flakes, garlic...). You could always try using less mayo and adding another ingredient (ex: mayo/mustard mix)
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love dijonnaise... it's creamy dijon mustard... It's really good on tuna sandwiches... and it's very low calories ... 5 calories per serving
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    I LOVE the StarKist Tuna Salad Sandwich ready pouches. They are actually made with soy oil, have some water chestnuts in there for a little crunchy and are only 90 calories a pouch, and it's a LOT. A little pricier than making it myself but totally worth it. I keep a couple in my desk at work all the time.
  • yywminott
    yywminott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sour cream works for me. Spice it up with chopped onions and celery, and add a little relish. Mmmm,mmmm, good!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of light mayo, dijon mustard and relish. For a full can of tuna, I use a tbs of light mayo, and a tsp of each mustard and relish.

I have also used a combo of light mayo and Laughing cow light garlic and herb
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese :)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have a favorite tuna salad. It's spicy. It's called My Favorite Tuna Salad. You can also substitute canned salmon.

1 can tuna or salmon, drained
    1 tbsp. dijon mustard
    1 tbsp. pickle relish
    1 tsp. horseradish
    salt and pepper to taste.

Mix it together and enjoy.

I put it over mixed greens with tomato, stuff it inside a pita, pile it on whole wheat Middle Eastern flatbread, or just eat it plain. It's good.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i use lemon juice, olive oil, red onion, tomatos calamata olives and oregano its a meditereanen recipe
    and it tastes delish and not fishy
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Hellman's mayonaisse dressing is 15 calories per serving. You can not tell a difference at all.
  • asilva3111
    Options
    I use Hellman's Low Fat Mayo with StarKist Chunk Light Tuna, 1tbsp of mayo is only 15 calories and 10 from fat. I use just 2 TBSP per can of tuna (5 oz) Keep the calorie count at 130 and 40 fat. Get some lettuce or spinach with either a low carb wheat tortilla and you can have 2 tortillas, 2 leafs of romaine lettuce and half of can of tuna and you get (100 [tuna] +15 [mayo] +2 [lettuce] +80 [wheat tortilla]) = 197 calories per roll. Add some onions or peppers and you are still at around 205 per roll.

If you want less calories, well, do the same for the tuna + mayo, and use your romaine lettuce as your wrapper and you'll end up with a whapping 117 calories. You can eat about 3 or 4 of this and you end up with 236 calories total of very healthy eating and will keep you filled for hours.

I do this on Saturday's when I am home and the fridge is just steps away. Keep the tuna made and the lettuce ready; if hungry, make one, instead of going for anything else. It is more filling that a 80 calorie yogurt and last much longer.

Good luck!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love a little kick....I have used the juice from my jarred jalepenos LOL. just enough to add moisture and a KICK.

I am thesame one though that buys the RESERAUNT sized jars of Jalepenos LOL. (Ya know the jar as big as the giant pickle jarss?!)
  • asilva3111
    Options
    I've been adding chopped avocado- it's creamy and is full of good fat.

Wow that sounds great! Never thought of adding avocado!!

1tbsp of avocado is 25 calories.. and all good calories.. yum yum..
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Man, these are FABULOUS suggestions!! I have used:

Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges (fantastic)
    Avocado (fantastic)
    Dijonaise (made by hellmans and fantastic)

PLAIN!..(thats right, I said it..Tuna Fish..PLAIN..I didnt know how great it was by itself!) I have just put Tuna on the bread with a little mustard on top and voila! DELICIOUS!

I liked the Salsa idea..i'm going to try that!
  • asilva3111
    Options
    Also remember all the processed junk they have to put in those pouches so it doesn't go bad on the shelf. It makes your body work very hard to get rid of those processed foods.

Take a can of StarKist Chunk Light tuna in water, 2 tbps of Mayo Low Fat Mayo and you have 230 calories total. Add wheat bread (typical 40-80 calories a slice), romaine lettuce (2 calories a leaf), or a low carb soft tortilla (60-80 calories) and it is healthier than eating the pre-made pouch.

just saying..
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is weird (to me because I don't eat fish) but my mom mixes her tuna with nothing but mild salsa. ...try it if you dare, lol.