for all you people who think you can choose fast food health

Options

Replies

• monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not to tip the apple cart, but my thought is:

1. If you find the food disgusting, dont eat it.
    2. If you dont find the food disgusting, limit to once a week or once every two weeks in moderation. When you want a Wendys burger, there is no substitute, and denying yourself will lead to long term failure.

Best thing to do is to fully educate yourself on the facts of fast food, and make your own informed decision.

I agree 100%. Moderation is KEY to healthy living. Denying yourself what you crave will eventually cause binges or will cause one to give up because they think they can't do it. BUT if you don't like it and don't crave it good for you.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    ECKKK!!! I never even TRIED a fast food burger or 99% of crap on their menus!!! It was banned food since I was little ansd still is!!!!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If I 'want' a burger I make it myself.... Just sayin' I don't need to go to Wendy's (or other)...

Homemade burgers are good... but they are NOT the same thing. If I "want" a fast food burger, I get a fast food burger.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Did I ever say I thought it was healthy for me? No I didn't :ohwell:

hmmmm did I say you did? No but if u re-read I said others do. I said that we aren't looking down on you for the choice you made as long as you aren't in denial.

Just simplifying :wink:
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    my husband and i still go out for burgers and fries once a week. we go to P Terry's, because it's more wholesome and more delicious and more filling, with less fillers. that said, it's still burgers and fries.

but it's still delicious, so i'm pretty okay with that - especially if it keeps DH from begging for Taco Hell
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Not to tip the apple cart, but my thought is:

1. If you find the food disgusting, dont eat it.
    2. If you dont find the food disgusting, limit to once a week or once every two weeks in moderation. When you want a Wendys burger, there is no substitute, and denying yourself will lead to long term failure.

Best thing to do is to fully educate yourself on the facts of fast food, and make your own informed decision.

I completely agree. Every now and then I want a mcdouble with no cheese or a fry. So instead of getting two mcdoubles and a large fry like I did before. I will get a hamburger or a small fry and split with my hubby. Never get the two in the same week. Plus I still count it towards my calories. I know fast food is not good for me, but I am still going to live my life.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I choose to cruise on over to the dark side and get a burger or some tenders. I don't really worry about it that much. It is not a daily thing for me, but when I want it....I go for it! :drinker:
  • emiliabeth
    Options
    My life wouldn't be completely without the occasions I-can't-be-arsed pizza or Indian take-away. I know it's bad for me, but it would be worse for me if I never ate it at all.

I'd cave like a spelunker...

It's hard to believe that anyone could think fast food is healthy (other than the occasional diamond in the grease, I mean rough). Although, reading most of these replies, it's probably preaching to the choir, anyway.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    im not even thinking about the calories at this point about fast food.

yes, to each their own and i dont look down on anyone for eating it at all.

im just scared for them because they dont know what's IN it. it's not about the calories for me; it's about what it's made from cause it's not what we think

:cry:

Its mainly for the people who are "on the go" types or if its an option where they dont pig out on everything. Everyone has their big boy or big girl pants on, they are able to make their own decisions. However fast foods are linked to cancer and such....ah well what can we do.
    :indifferent:

fast food is linked to cancer? Did I miss that study?
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Thanks to MFP I've eaten fast food maybe twice in the last three months! I used to eat it several days a week and I have NO idea how. I had Taco Bell a couple weekends ago and it was so gross. I thought I was "treating" myself to it, but it was an awful treat haha. I don't even eat Subway because I can't control the amount of mayo. I swear you say "light" and they purposely put more than usual just to screw with you.

There is a way to control how much mayo they put on there. Just order no mayo :laugh: . Seriously though, when I see the number of tablespoons they put on a footlong sub I couldn't imagine ordering one with mayo. Black forest ham with mustard and all the veggies is the best.

But I LIKE a little mayo on my sandwhich! When I make sandwhiches at home I put 1/2 TBS and it adds a couple calories, but not too many and it makes the sandwhich good to me. So I just don't eat Subway. I pack my own sammiches.

Oh lord, I've watched them put gigantic globs of mayo on a sandwhich and watch the person ask for MORE.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I know this is a bit simplistic and unpractical - but I don't think fast food chains ought to be legal. By making themselves cheap and convenient they prey on people who often aren't all that educated about nutrition. It's disgusting and messes with people's health.

But of course you can also be too obsessive. I can't eat out any more because I can't see a label with a calorie number on it and that makes me too frightened to eat it! :(
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo NOT looking forward to going on a road trip this summer. We'll be driving a lot & I hope we can stay away from fast food most of the time
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    fast food is linked to cancer? Did I miss that study?

Hadn't you heard?

Research causes cancer in rats.

EVERYthing is linked to cancer.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    If I 'want' a burger I make it myself.... Just sayin' I don't need to go to Wendy's (or other)...

Homemade burgers are good... but they are NOT the same thing. If I "want" a fast food burger, I get a fast food burger.

Haha amen. And you know what? I took a peek at some of the crazy ingredients in all those foods. The honest to god truth is I just don't care. My body is a tank and I've done a lot worse to it. It can handle a fast food burger every couple months. I know it's frustrating to hear somebody say they simply do not care, especially when so many people care so much. But I'm here to say I truly don't care what kind of crap is in fast food. I hardly eat it anymore, but if I ever decide to give in to a craving, or have no other options, there could be rat poison in a Wendy's burger and I'd probably still eat it. Just doesn't phase me. Besides, my intestines like a good challenge.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    LOL!

I felt really bad on a thread about going to 5 Guys when I told the OP to either don't go there or go and enjoy himself, and was call rude, snarky and unsupportive.

Now on this thread people are getting read the riot act over far less.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    LOL!

I felt really bad on a thread about going to 5 Guys when I told the OP to either don't go there or go and enjoy himself, and was call rude, snarky and unsupportive.

Now on this thread people are getting read the riot act over far less.

5 guys!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first year of King George, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God Save the King!
  • pittielover23
    Options
    While I agree that no Fast Food is "healthy", for those of us that really enjoy it (Taco Bell, I am looking at you), denying ourselves of it completely can be bad and result in a binge.

If you are happy without it at all, awesome. But there is nothing wrong with treating yourself to something you enjoy on occassion. Moderation is the key, not denial.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    All this talk of Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich was killing me!! The closest thing to fast food I've had in the past month is Applebees 500 calorie steak and veggies.
    I was tempted.... oh so tempted but I just knew I would either be sick or remind my mouth and mind how much I've missed thee... haha
    So instead I took a Amylu carmelized onion chicken burger (Costco) and sprinkled a little red pepper flakes on it, slapped that on a Sara Lee honey wheat sandwhich thin with 1TBS of low fat mayo and a triangle of Garlic Herb Laughing Cow cheese and VOILA!! 300 calories and it was delicious!! I just don't trust myself with an occasional fast food run yet. Hell, I still have to take a deep breath before I head down the cookie and candy isle at the grocery store.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The only fast food places I frequent is Chipotle and Dibella's Subs!! YUMMMM!!!!!!!!

LOVE Chipolte!!!! :love:

I just have a devil of a time not ordering the guacamole though. :embarassed:

Why not? Guacamole is probably the healthiest option there! I eat avocado almost everyday!!! :love:
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    We can all agree that fast food is not the best option. Are there good options out there? Sure thing! Check out your local big gas station, many of them carry preservative free fruit bowls that are brought in nightly as well as cheese sticks, sliced veggies with peanut butter (usually not natural PB but still) or veggies and other dips (again, not perfect dips but decent). Might not be a drive thru but its also not going to drip grease on you.

And if I could find out what makes Sonic's iced tea so freakin good, I'd save a lot of money. That's my go-to spot and I'm somewhat obsessed with their tea. I've learned that eating their food, even if it fits just fine into my day, doesn't agree with me. It causes some inflammation in my joints and with my level of arthritis, its just not good. I was eating a Sonic meal weekly - once a week and being ok with it being unhealthy because it taste dang good! However, I'm going to have to try to reproduce that fantastic chicken toaster club at home because something in that sandwich doesn't agree with my joints. I'll still get my tea though, that's what I want on a bad day, its what I want when I'm stressed - I just wish my tea at home came out that good! That's what a fast food place can offer that I can't do myself. Not the sweet tea, but the normal, unsweet, iced tea. Its delicious.
This discussion has been closed.