Itchy skin when losing weight??

Options
I have lost 47 pounds and I am dealing with itch skin, particularly where I have stretch marks on my stomach. Benadryl has not helped nor has vitamin E cream or cortizone cream. Does anyone else have this issue when losing weight and have you found a solution to it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• stark23x
    stark23x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well, but it seemed to stop when I started drinking a serious amount of water. I do not know if the two are related, but hydration affects skin condition, so maybe?
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    How funny! Someone else posted this yesterday and everyone suggested the Benadryl.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try rubbing olive oil on it every night. This is something you would probably have to do for awhile though for it to work.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've had hives ever since I started losing weight--seems daily Allegra is the only thing that keeps that calmed down.
  • suzukigurl
    Options
    I've read that people who don't eat enough fat can get dry skin, I wouldn't suggest eating all kinds of fatty foods but healthy fats......or just a good lotion to start
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had this too and the water thing is really what I think ended up helping. Oh, and I used bath oil a couple night a week...
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    I have exercise caused hives. My doctor told me to take a heart burn medicine called ranitidine. it's stopped my rashes!!
  • jeanmarieis
    jeanmarieis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    it's kinda funny this is the first post I've read in weeks and I was just talking to some friends about it this afternoon. i too am having the itchies, but what makes it worse is.....i am a scratcher. I am severely ripping myself apart :( I think the idea of water is a good one but I drink about a gallon of water a day. So I will be paying close attention to see what everyone else suggests.
  • hnwebb82
    hnwebb82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I thought that I was having a slight allergic reaction to new soap!
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue and the itchy skin was on my tummy area where there are stretch marks. I went to my dermatologist to see what he could suggest and he actually recommended palmer's cocoa butter lotion and to my surprise it has really helped calmed the itching down. I apply it twice a day , once after my morning shower and once before I go to bed. I also have increased my water intake from 60 oz. per day to 100 oz. per day so these two things together has really helped and I FINALLY have some relief. Good luck and I hope you find something that helps soon cause I know how totally insane the itching can make you.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Aveeno works wonders for me! I have very dry skin and nothing but this works. Even the generic-like brands at wal-mart or walgreens This is their site http://www.aveeno.com/skincare/products/itch-reliefs.
    Hope this helps :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Maybe check with your doctor that it isn't related to a vitamin or mineral deficiency, there might be something missing in your diet.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    all of those are for allergies.

try drinking more water
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    More water & bio oil. It helps rehydrate the skin quicker then lotion Your skin is dehydrated and is also trying to shrink to go with your weight loss
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I switched to an olive oil bar soap that has no detergents, and use exfoliating gloves in the shower every few days. I use a little EVO on the very itchy areas after the shower, and a non irritating unscented lotion (Aveeno) elsewhere. If your skin looks ashy or dull drink more water and take a fish oil cap.
  • sexiluzy
    Options
    i have the same problem ive lost 20 pounds and my areas of stretch marks are constantly itching!!!
  • AliceKayV
    AliceKayV Posts: 2
    Options
    Why would losing weight cause skin to itch, though? My neck and under my chin itch, also my cheeks. But I don't see the connection between skin itching and losing weight. Pregnant women's abdomens often itch because of the stretching, but does it itch also when it is shrinking? Interested if anybody knows how and why losing some weight would cause skin to itch, even when the weight loss is only a few pounds. Thanks.
  • IAMANAN
    IAMANAN Posts: 7
    Options
    If a person does not get enough water and GOOD HEALTHY FATs in their diet, this can cause dry skin and itchiness........Mine legs get so dry they are flaky and itchy.................I take Omega 3 supplements faithfully and drink my 6 - 8 cups of water and it really helps...
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Yep! My sides where my love handles are shrinking, I have stretch marks and those itch… I remember them itching when I lost weight after having my son also.

I have dry skin as it is and couple that with working out {the sweat from working out} and the Florida humidity… I get rashes easily. I have a rash on my shins right now {dry skin + shaving + sweat from working out + wearing steel toe boots for work}, Kinda looks like poison ivy but it’s not. I actually went to my dermatologist 2 weeks ago for some hives that popped up. She gave me some prescription steroid cream to use twice daily and to take Claritin every morning… they are gone now. Yesterday was my follow up appt. She said I could use the steroid cream on my shins also and to use Aveeno or Cerave lotion.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I suffer from itchy legs pretty much all the time. The only thing that has worked for me is pure Argan oil. Not as greasy or heavy as olive oil and I can even use it on my face. And it's fab for my hair.
    The only drawback is the smell. It smells very faintly of salads.:laugh: