Itchy skin when losing weight??

Options

Replies

• fatwannabethinmel
    fatwannabethinmel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have the itchy skin thing to, i've been backwards and forwards to doctors for 2 years, allergy tablets with cetrizine in them really does help, ranitidine too, although its not an actualy allergy it really does help. i am a scratcher too and skin goes really sore and red, take 2 ranitidines and 2 allergy tablets per day this really does help and defo keeps it at bay, as soon as i stop the itchiness returns. hope this helps . x
  • drom177
    drom177 Posts: 1
    Options
    Same thing happened to me! Try more water intake and supplements for the skin and apply coconut oil on the skin! Coconut has many benefits: use it as an eye make- up remover, as a face moisturizer, for the skin, for a hair shine and even as a toothpaste! Good Luck! :)
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    this also happened to me when I PUT ON weight quickly, try bio oil it helped me and I also found citrus fruits made me itchy
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize

Olive oil works WONDERS...as does Coconut oil...and pure olive oil and coconut oil are not fragranced..and they are not heavy. They absord into the skin quickly..and they leave your skin amazingly soft.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have one spot on my back that itches often enough it's approaching constantly. It's about the size (or diameter anyway) of a golf ball. I'm going to ask my doctor about it next week at my physical. When I was first working out, breaking a sweat caused me to itch EVERYWHERE. Not a problem anymore, I am trying to drink while exercising instead of before & after. Need to get a water bottle I can drink from on the treadmill when I'm running without risking a face-plant.
  • kay48040
    kay48040 Posts: 21
    Options
    I am having this issue right now. I have a scar on the front of my stomach below my belly button from having an ovarian cyst removed years ago (like 1995). The area around my scar is just on FIRE!!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yeh do moisturizer the skin externally but have to moisturizer from the inside too with the suggested increase in water consumption and more fat in diet.
    (You're not tracking fat in your diary)
  • kay48040
    kay48040 Posts: 21
    Options
    Yeh do moisturizer the skin externally but have to moisturizer from the inside too with the suggested increase in water consumption and more fat in diet.
    (You're not tracking fat in your diary)

Oh I thought the fat was on there? I can see the fat on it. I'll have to adjust it.
    I've been using the Jergens Firming lotion and I'm trying desperately to increase my water intake.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    coconut oil. eat it and rub it on your skin.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well, but it seemed to stop when I started drinking a serious amount of water. I do not know if the two are related, but hydration affects skin condition, so maybe?

That was my first thought dehydrated.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Try rubbing olive oil on it every night. This is something you would probably have to do for awhile though for it to work.

I was also going to suggest some sort of body oil, olive oil, or vitamin E oil. I am thinking about getting some vitamin E oil to rub. I have stretch marks... hm... on every inch of my body? LOL No joke. Oiling it up helps. I bought a body oil called Body Dew from Pure Romance that I love, but I want to get something else because my husband doesn't like the scent of mine and I don't care for the other scents they carry. LOL I'm picky and so is he. :)
  • Risser
    Risser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know no one has posted on here for awhile but thought I wouldn't add a new thread, I also started getting itchy skin at about the 20lbs weight loss mark. Especially my stretch marks, thanks for all the suggestions. Also along with moisturizers, drinking water and eating good fats cold or cool showers and baths with oatmeal seem to calm the skin a bit. It's ongoing for me, but I keep trying other things cause I've been known to itch myself raw :( if anyone has any other suggestions keep them coming :) thanks again and happy Saturday!
  • leikelakai
    Options
    Too much phosphorus in your diet can cause itchy skin once you start to cut out high phosphorus foods like dark colas, nuts, dairy... Lotions, etc don't really help, you just have to wait for the excess phosphorus to flush out of your system and get back in balance. A simple blood test can tell your doctor if your phosphorus levels are too high. Danger of excess phosphorus=calcification of the bones (hole-y bones), so cut out the dark colas and cut down on dairy, etc...those of you that are dieting are probably doing thhis, thus the itchies!!
  • deanna720
    Options
    Happy to hear others have also experienced this.....only to say that I'm not crazy....or suffering from some disease. Lol
    I'm thinking the water is the solution too. Gotta concentrate on getting enough in, something I've been lacking lately anyhow. I too only itch where I have stretch marks, the stomach and the breast area. Getting undressed at night has been uncomfortable due to the constant itching it brings on. Thanks for the advice.
  • bell155
    Options
    I have lost 143 pounds by diet and exercise in the last 2 years. My stomach has just started it hung real bad. Does anyone have any idea how I can stop the itching. It is about to drive me nuts.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN A PEPSI HOLIC FOR 40 YRS AND HAVE STOPPED DRINKING IT NOW, SINCE DECEMBER.

AROUND THE 20# WEIGHT LOST MARK, MY SKIN AROUND MY TUMMY' MY BREST AREA, MY TUMMY SCARE, MY INTER THIGH'S AND IN BETWEEN MY TOE'S HAVE STARTED ITCHING , TO THE POINT IM SCRATCHING THEM RAW. AND THERE ISN'T ANYTHING VISIBLE, NO RASH ,NO REDNESS AND MY SKIN DOESN'T APPEAR DRY.(BEFORE I SCRATCH AND DIG MY SELF RAW)

IT SEAMS TO BE WORSE AT NIGHT AND THE FIRST THING WHEN I WAKE UP. SO DURING THE DAY DEPENDING ON WHAT IM DOING. AND WHEN I REMOVE MY CLOTHING.

THE DOCTORS SAD IT WAS AN ALLERGY, , STRESS , NERVES , I KNEW BETTER , THEY WANTED ME TO TAKE ALLERGY MEDS , ANTI DEPRESSANTS ETC. HOWEVER I DON'T TAKE MEDS OF ANY KIND. AND SAID NO THANKS , I WANTED SOMETHING NATURAL AND NON TOXIC.

THIS MORNING I HAD HAD IT, THE ITCHING WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND MY HUSBAND TOO. HOWEVER I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME , SOMETHING I WAS EATING, OR MAYBE THE STRESS OF DIETING, BUT I DIDNT FEEL STRESSED. I ALSO DETOX ON A REGULAR BASES SO I DIDNT THINK IT WAS THAT.

I WAS GOING TO RESEARCH IT ON THE INTERNET AFTER I CHECKED IN THIS MORNING, THEN I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK THE TOPICS JUST TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM , NOT THINKING I WOULD FIND ANYTHING, AND LOW AND BEHOLD , HERE WAS A WHOLE BUNCH OF MFP FRIENDS TALKING ABOUT IT. AND I THOUGHT I WAS ALL ALONE

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR YOUR HELP, IDEA'S , THOUGHTS AND SUPPORT. NOW I DONT FEEL LIKE SOME KIND OF CRAZY PERSON (WELL MAYBE A LITTLE) LOL

MAY YOUR DAY BE FILLED WITH MANY BLESSINGS

GG
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me as well. At first I thought it was just like when pregnant and I was getting stretch marks for the first time, but then I have since concluded that the extra exercise and workouts leave me a little dehydrated and my skin was suffering. So more water helps but I'm not good at it.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have lost 47 pounds and I am dealing with itch skin, particularly where I have stretch marks on my stomach. Benadryl has not helped nor has vitamin E cream or cortizone cream. Does anyone else have this issue when losing weight and have you found a solution to it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes, my legs. I would recommend Cortizone 10. It works great.
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • afarrow78
    afarrow78 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am noticing that as well, and it is even worse where my c-section scar.