How successful is a no-bread diet?

Options

Replies

• Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Why cut it out completely? Can you do that forever? If it can't be a lifestyle change forever, then why do it? I eat whole grain bread (not often usually), brown rice, whole grain cereals, and once in a really great while a potato. None of those things, when eaten in moderation, are bad for you.
  • kc_swiss
    kc_swiss Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input :)
  • mimikeke
    mimikeke Posts: 8
    Options
    I follow the old WW core plan loosely, which is no bread, but you can eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, potatoes or whole grains once a day. You however are given some extra calories to "spend" during the week in which you can eat some whole wheat bread (make sure it doesn't have tons of added sugar). I haven't been to WW in a while so I don't know how the new system works but while I was on the core I got 35 extra points which equals about 1750 extra calories to spend a week. However, you have to follow the other parts of the core plan, and of course watch your protein/sodium/etc.

http://guiltlessgourmet.wordpress.com/2008/02/16/weight-watchers-core-food-list/
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________
    If I were you, I would just make the switch to really hearty whole wheat breads/pasta and brown rice rather than cutting it out completely. Your first week, try not eating any bread and just the whole wheat pasta/potatoes/brown rice (only one option, one meal a day). It's a personal thing but it always gets me to drop weight.

Then, limit yourself to EITHER bread, or a choice of pasta OR rice OR potatoes to ONE meal each day.

I have found this diet to be the easiest to maintain over a period of time. I've dropped to a size 2 jeans this week which is pretty crazy.

If you are a huge carb/starch eater or hate vegetables or seafood or you never cook, then this diet will not work for you. Then again, if you hate all those things, good luck dieting the rest of your life ^^

Also, it doesn't require counting any calories other than the ones you eat outside your diet which is nice!

~~Another thing that keeps me from eating too much bread is trying to avoid meals that make you want it, i.e. soups, stews, meals with tons of sauce (like buttery seafood sauce or creamy Indian curry) during the weeks that you've cheated a lot.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    If you don't like brown rice it's probably cuz you are cooking it too dry. I used to think I hated it until my roommate made some in a rice cooker with a small dab of butter or margarine and it came out tasting very moist and buttery. It's super tasty with a serving of grilled onions/bell peppers and a dash of teriyaki cooking sauce that have been thrown together in a pan.
  • nshamler
    Options
    I've tried and was very successful. I say go for it. I concentrated on doing it a week at a time. It was much easier this way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to cut this stuff out completely and forever. White pasta/bread/rice should be considered sugar and eaten in very limited quantities. If you are currently eating a lot of bread and pasta then cutting them out completely for a month could be a good thing. Then gradually add them back, but in whole grain form. When you want pasta try a meal with brown rice or quinoa instead. You can satisfy your carb craving in a much healthier way. If you are interested, below is a link to a good article explaining why carbs are important and why they should be whole grain.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html#what-are-carbohydrates
  • skimmylatte
    Options
    My diet consists of no bread. And I have effectively done it . But I find that bread for me was a filler food. So now I tend to eat more protein and drink more tea. But Yes I agree that my digestive system is much better off. And yes, it is hard but not impossible. Because there are a lot of alternatives. Such as lettuce wraps. I feel like bread does not provide any substantial amount of energy, so I haven't experienced energy loss either.
  • crystalbusybee
    Options
    Here's the problem I see with many ppl when it comes to bread:
    Super high calories, zero nutrition, obviously leads to weight gain
    The typical daily eating habits I've seen of those who say they exercise a lot and have trouble losing weight have a daily diet consisting of this type of pattern:

breakfasf: cereal (usually with simple carbs) and milk, or a latte and pastry of some sort
    lunch: sandwich or pasta meal
    dinner pasta or dinner which involves too many potatoes, or a meal with bread typically as a side item (such as garlic bread etc)

If you are going to have bread limit it to one meal, preferably in the morning and thats it, what you are doing is filling up on zero nutrition when you could be filling up with something better.

I know easier said than done and trying to decrease cravings is difficult but it can be done over time and with will power. A lot of folks who start cutting out simple carbs notice the they are "starving!!" this may be due to a few factor; you aren't eating enough protein or you are simply increasing your metabolic rate (which is a good thing!!!)and need to supplement with healthy calories and complex carbs and the like. Also make sure you take in enough water, that can sometimes make you feel hungry when really you are just dehydrated.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I couldnt do it! but I found the BEST bread. Aunt Millies light whole grain and light potato bread only 35 calories per slice!

I love sandwhiches and couldnt give them up! But I have stopped eating pasta and rice for the most part just because it doesnt usually fit into my calories comfortably.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    sounds awful but then again I like bread but i do limit it
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I did the little or no carb thing for a while and you lose weight very fast while doing this, but if you don't eat healthy when you start eating carbs again, all the weight comes right back. That's why I'm going for a lifestyle change this time around rather than a crash diet. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

I've never made a plan to give them up, but I often go a month without those things. I can't even remember the last time I ate white rice. I eat brown rice several times a week though. On the occasions that I do eat pasta or bread nothing bad happens to me. I don't suddenly gain weight or bloat up or anything.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    i limit bread due to my low carb lifestyle. However, if you have a braums ice cream, they sell low carb bread. 5 carbs a slice and 40 calories i believe. I eat pasta once a month, but its dreamfields low carb pasta. Taste the same as regular pasta and only like 6 carbs. It can be found at kroger. I dont eat cereal, rice, potatoes at all. I find carbs make me bloat, seriously! I had a cheat day and I've blown up 8 pounds.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a little over a year and my own individual experience has been very positive.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You can cut out whatever you want, but if your calories in > calories out you will not lose weight.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    Unsuccessful with me because I love starch way too much
  • xonikitashafferxo
    xonikitashafferxo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would limit your intake, not take it all the way out of your diet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I had the most success losing weight when I limited my total carbohydrate intake to under 90 grams per day. I simply cut out the white starches already discussed and substituted a very small amount of whole wheat products along with my veggies, Greek yogurt and low sugar fruits. Now that I'm in maintenance, I pretty much eat what I like - I still have a tendency to avoid sugar and white bread - and have one or two days per week where I try to keep my carb intake under 50 grams. Nearly 6 months later, it's working for me as you can see by my ticker.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    For me personally? Disastrous.

If I went more than 3 days without my favorite food - sandwiches - I would act out inappropriately. People would die.

I continue to eat bread in the interest of world peace.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I traded them out for Snickers bars...it didn't go so well.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you cut out bread, white rice, and pasta but continue eating desserts, cookies, and other refined carbs you won't see any difference. You should start out with the most refined, most sugary carbs and work backwards from there to find your sweet spot. But keep in mind, anything that is for a set number of days is likely to fail if you don't have a long term maintenance plan. How do you maintain the same food intake once you reintroduce those foods? I advise cheat meals over portion control or completely removal of food items that you like eating.