How successful is a no-bread diet?

Options

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

It's alright. Cravings are a state of mind. Win the mental battle and you'll do just fine without bread, rice, pasta or anything else.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Instead of cutting it all out just reduce the amount you're eating! Once you reintroduce them back into your diet you're going to bloat up
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

I don't eat any wheat and I find that I don't crave it since I cut it completely out of my diet. I do eat one or two pieces of organic whole rye bread (made with a bacterial "sour dough" leavening) every day. Wheat is a problem---read the book Wheat Belly for why wheat and modern wheats especially, can be bad for almost everyone. It is addictive because of the gliaden content---not to mention that the modern wheats have been specifically bred to contain a lot more gluten. The human gut doesn't tolerate a lot of gluten well. Our modern bakery techniques add to the problem with quick rise processes which fail to convert the gluten to less problematic substances. We eat brown rice pasta at our house and once you put spaghetti sauce on it, you really can't tell the difference between wheat pasta and rice pasa. Cutting out sugar is a step toward improving your health, even if you don't lose any weight. Sugar consumption is killing us.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I eat no-wheat products because I have a gluten allergy.I did not lose weight by not eating bread because there are othere caloric substitutes (chips, soda, desserts) I lost weight when I counted calories and ate healthy foods.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I couldn't eat just "some." I cut out all wheat and grains in August. I found that when they all were gone, my cravings were too. I lost about 10 lbs right off the bat.

However, I did find I needed to still count calories because over the years I had gotten into a really bad habit of eating way more at a sitting than I should.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This!!! Don't deprive your body of anything just cut down and try a more healthful version.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Don't cut it out. Just eat smaller portions.

I try to eat more veggies, and less grains.

I'll make one slice of toast and pile it on rather than making a sandwich. I'll choose a variety with the most fiber and least calories, possible.

If I can, I will eliminate toast. Peanut butter on celery, salsa with avocado, sandwich on an apple, etc...

If I'm eating rice, I'll try to use more veggies with my sauce/ salty dish and less rice. I'll limit myself to about a forth of a cup. Since I'm Asian, that keeps me from craving it.

I choose whole wheat pasta, and I'll have smaller portions than I have in the past. I will eat veggies with my meal, or more meat, to fill up.

I try not to eat out. When I do, I get a to go box, and make two meals out of one, or I share with my bf. When I go to In n Out, I get the protein burger, lol.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating bread, rice, or pasta right now. I don't think they are evil or anything, I just don't have room for them in my calorie allotment. I do have hot cereal (usually oatmeal) for breakfast every morning and add a couple of tablespoons of Grape Nuts to my yogurt at lunchtime, so I am not cutting out grains completely.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Dead thread SUCCESSFULLY revived.
  • oldyeller85
    oldyeller85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr. about what changes should i work on for my health in 2013 year. He said don't eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. I am going to eliminate them from my diet.

Can't wait to see how much better i'll feel.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I asked my Dr. about what changes should i work on for my health in 2013 year. He said don't eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. I am going to eliminate them from my diet.

I cut out grain before I cut out sugar and I found that when I cut out sugar, I had to put a bit of grain back in to meet my minimum of carbs. There are good substances in some grain (like beta glucans in oatmeal) that are difficult to get from other sources (only other source that I know of is mushrooms and I don't like them). I have modified my diet to eating some 100% organic rye bread (one piece or two on my heavy workout days) and I eat absolutely no sugar (it was making me sick and sluggish). I am even on a two-week fast from fructose in order to "reset" my levels of fructokinase (those levels go wonky when you eat too much fructose in the form of sucrose (sucrose or table sugar is 50% fructose). When the two weeks are up, I will add a piece or two of fruit per day back into my diet but I will never exceed 25 grams of fructose per day again. Just for reference, a can of soda pop has about twelve times the amount of fructose as an orange and the soda is totally empty calories--which I cannot afford if I am going to stay healthy while reducing body fat.
  • AnnaNoel_21
    AnnaNoel_21 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 17 day diet. It teaches you how to re introduce foods. There are 3 phases then the 4th phase is for life. We have started a group if you want to check it out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10461-17-day-diet-to-start-off-2013-healthy
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bumping this to read later.

I could never cut out bread completely myself because i know eventually i would go back on it and it just wouldn't be worth it for me in the long run however i know everyone is different and this may be possible for some people i you feel it would really benefit you and you could do without it, Nevertheless its not worth it if you're only punishing yourself, restricting yourself...like many have said i think keeping it to one meal is a good idea and also whole grain is the way to go, i've started this in the last few months and its benefitted me greatly, it's the little steps but most importantly don't beat yourself up over it if you eat a slice of white bread or potato, moderation and acceptance is key. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

I cut out grain before I cut out sugar and I found that when I cut out sugar, I had to put a bit of grain back in to meet my minimum of carbs. There are good substances in some grain (like beta glucans in oatmeal) that are difficult to get from other sources (only other source that I know of is mushrooms and I don't like them). I have modified my diet to eating some 100% organic rye bread (one piece or two on my heavy workout days) and I eat absolutely no sugar (it was making me sick and sluggish). I am even on a two-week fast from fructose in order to "reset" my levels of fructokinase (those levels go wonky when you eat too much fructose in the form of sucrose (sucrose or table sugar is 50% fructose). When the two weeks are up, I will add a piece or two of fruit per day back into my diet but I will never exceed 25 grams of fructose per day again. Just for reference, a can of soda pop has about twelve times the amount of fructose as an orange and the soda is totally empty calories--which I cannot afford if I am going to stay healthy while reducing body fat.
    Pointing out that a can of pop, say coke doesn't have 12 times the fructose of an average orange, it has twice as much, and if you compare 8 oz of coke with 8 oz of freshly squeezed orange juice there about equal. Misinformation doesn't help anyone.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Pointing out that a can of pop, say coke doesn't have 12 times the fructose of an average orange, it has twice as much, and if you compare 8 oz of coke with 8 oz of freshly squeezed orange juice there about equal. Misinformation doesn't help anyone.

I was talking about a 12-oz. serving of soda pop (typical serving---some people drink a lot more in a sitting) which has about 44 grams of sugar--more than half of which would be fructose because of the high fructose corn syrup that is used as a sweetener. A medium California Valencia orange has a little over 2 grams of fructose (and has a lot of fiber to slow down the transmission of the fructose to the liver). You are right, my original number was off a little. But it wasn't off as much as your number is. And I WASN'T talking about orange juice or any other fruit juice. Much better to eat the fruit and drink water if one is thirsty. But even fruit juice is better for you than soda pop.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I was talking about a 12-oz. serving of soda pop (typical serving---some people drink a lot more in a sitting) which has about 44 grams of sugar--more than half of which would be fructose because of the high fructose corn syrup that is used as a sweetener. A medium California Valencia orange has a little over 2 grams of fructose (and has a lot of fiber to slow down the transmission of the fructose to the liver). You are right, my original number was off a little. But it wasn't off as much as your number is. And I WASN'T talking about orange juice or any other fruit juice. Much better to eat the fruit and drink water if one is thirsty. But even fruit juice is better for you than soda pop.
    An average orange has 5 to 6g's of fructose, not 2, and an apple has a lot more. The amount of comparable liquid in a 12 oz bottle of anything and the liquid from 1 orange really isn't a fair comparison. The problem with comparing is there's no context and dosage applied. If we do apply dosage on an oz for oz basis, there's pretty much no difference between pop and juice. I agree pop is not a good choice, and a fresh orange is better, juice, not so much. But if we put context in the equation, then whether someone has a pop or an equal amount of fruit juice in what would be considered a decent overall diet, it doesn't matter much. Again applying context and dosage we could say that if someone is not over consuming sugar then there's no reason to leave fruit or pop out of the diet.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

An average orange has 5 to 6g's of fructose, not 2, and an apple has a lot more. The amount of comparable liquid in a 12 oz bottle of anything and the liquid from 1 orange really isn't a fair comparison. The problem with comparing is there's no context and dosage applied. If we do apply dosage on an oz for oz basis, there's pretty much no difference between pop and juice. I agree pop is not a good choice, and a fresh orange is better, juice, not so much. But if we put context in the equation, then whether someone has a pop or an equal amount of fruit juice in what would be considered a decent overall diet, it doesn't matter much. Again applying context and dosage we could say that if someone is not over consuming sugar then there's no reason to leave fruit or pop out of the diet.

I agree that fruit is part of a healthy diet---but there is no place for soda pop in a HEALTHY fat-loss diet. If you are over 6 feet tall and have a lot of muscle, you can probably get away with the occasional soda pop. But most of us simply can't afford the empty calories. I don't know where you got your 5-6 grams of fructose for an orange---that would be a pretty large orange.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I agree that fruit is part of a healthy diet---but there is no place for soda pop in a HEALTHY fat-loss diet. If you are over 6 feet tall and have a lot of muscle, you can probably get away with the occasional soda pop. But most of us simply can't afford the empty calories. I don't know where you got your 5-6 grams of fructose for an orange---that would be a pretty large orange.
    Most charts are similar, but here's one. http://nograiner.com/ingredients/fructose-content-common-fruits-chart

I totally agree, pop is crap and shouldn't really be considered in the diet, but that's just my opinion. But I also think fruit juice is something to be avoided as well, again just my opinion, and the GI thing is really not a good meter whether something is better than something else to consume. GL is what matters, and if someone is downing a pop or juice, that load is equal, where the GI can be effected by other foods consumed, but the load never goes away.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    pretty successful for me.....i eat a higher protein lower carb diet, and keep my calories at about 1500 depending on my exercise intensity and have seriously reduced my cravings and am successfully losing weight. I do eat one piece of whole grain breat a day, but other than that I my carbs come from vegies and lower carb fruits. I find it easier (and this is just my experience and what works for me) not to eat "bready" and sweet things -- if I eat one I crave more. But I don't think it is all in my head. There is a very interesting scientific literature on sugar addiction (and white flour stuff is metabolized into sugar like carb chains very quickly in the body). I think for some people and I am one of them my cravings are partly genetic and physiological (similar to alcohol). But that is a different subject.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Most charts are similar, but here's one. http://nograiner.com/ingredients/fructose-content-common-fruits-chart

I totally agree, pop is crap and shouldn't really be considered in the diet, but that's just my opinion. But I also think fruit juice is something to be avoided as well, again just my opinion, and the GI thing is really not a good meter whether something is better than something else to consume. GL is what matters, and if someone is downing a pop or juice, that load is equal, where the GI can be effected by other foods consumed, but the load never goes away.

I don't drink fruit juice, nor do I recommend fruit juice for anyone else who has a weight problem---but it still has more nourishment than soda pop. I agree that both have a very high glycemic load.