Negative Comments

Options
13»

Replies

• Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just had a problem like this last night when I came into work...i don't understand why people can be so mean when u are working SO hard to help yourself!! Good luck and keep on moving towards your goal!! Remember we're here for ya!
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    My daughter has a friend, and her parents drive me crazy. Both parents are over weight, and they both say the most horrible things about their daughter's weight. A couple of weeks ago I ran into the little girl and her mother at a school event, and her mother remarked about how tall my daughter is getting. Then she went on to say that her daughter is also growing, but she is growing wider not taller. What kind of person says that about their own kid!!!!???? Our kids also play soccer, and the other day when our girl's were competing against each other in a game, her parents kept telling us that their daughter won't ever make a goal, but as long as she is having fun they are happy to let her play soccer. They also yelled out to her, "Hey use all your weight to get through the girls". I try and say things to her parents to let them know that it isn't okay to talk about their daughter this way, but they just don't seem to get it! I know this is hurting their daughter. She has told my daughter that she is fat, and she has gained a bunch of weight over the last two years. I am sure she is depressed, and gaining the weight, because of how her parents have been talking to her. She is only nine years old. I am not sure what to do about this. If anyone has any advice on how I could help this family please tell me.

This makes me sad, and brings up a lot of bad memories and feelings about my own childhood. It's hard to voice an opinion, as the parents will probably say it's none of your business. They just don't realize how much REAL damage they are doing to that poor kid. Maybe have a chat with the coach or a teacher about it...Good luck and I will definitely keep her in my prayers xo
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I used to have a friend ( notice I said used to ) that would always tell me " You would be so pretty if only you were not so fat." I spent years wanting to punch her in the face for that.
    Okay, some plain speaking... I wish I'd had a friend who was so honest; obviously as you are here, you agree with her that you're too fat. Real friends are those who tell the truth, not tell us what we want to hear.

If instead of wanting to punch her in the face, you had said "You are right, but I'm not sure I can do it" you might have found she was very supportive of your efforts.

I'm sure she knew she was overweight, and was probably already feeling badly about herself. There are ways of being honest and supportive without being negative and hurtful...A very good friend of mine always tells me how pretty I am, and offers support in the way of taking walks together, or tips on working out, and always tells me how proud she is of me when I tell her about my mini victories.
  • slinn1990
    slinn1990 Posts: 1
    Options
    :smile: I know exactly what you are talking about, just ignore them....