Ideal size for tall girls?

Options

Replies

• TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my goal size (I don't have a goal weight) is 10/12. Once I get there, I'll see if I find that satisfactory or not and figure out if I want to go smaller or maintain. I just assume that size would be best on me since my goal isn't to get thin. I just want a flatter stomach and smaller dress size. :-D
  • RedL1988
    RedL1988 Posts: 55
    Options
    I stand at 5'8, currently weigh 165 and wear anywhere between a size 6 and size 10 depending on brand and style.
    If its a skinny/straight legged jean its a 10. Essiantal Gap Jeans a size 8 and Gap Long and Lean a size 6. It's such a pain because I can never ever just pick a pair of jeans off the shelf and know that they will fit.. I always have to try them on.

With that being said, at my current weight of 165 I think that I am too big and am currently trying to drop another 15 pounds to get down to 150. There I think would be an ideal weight for me and anything lower, I'd look to much like a bean pole :)

Every body type is most definitely different. I am 5'8 also. My lowest weight was 140 and even then the absoloute smallest size jean I could get into was a 9. And that was lucky, usually i wore a size 12. And I was very thin, people NEVER believed me when I told them what size i wore lol:tongue:
  • swampole70704
    Options
    it's so hard to answer this question, but i think it really is about being comfortable with yourself. I am 5'10 and in high school when i played volleyball I was 180...i was by no means overweight, I was a muscled up beast and VERY healthy..i got into college and lost my muscle and went down to 170..and my dad told me I looked too skinny...that i looked frail and he was afraid he was going to break me if he hugged me

the "charts" say i should weigh no more than 174, but apparently I was too skinny at that point, so its really hard!

I continually struggle with that..about a year and a half ago I was 256, and now am 209..my goal is 175, but in reality i think i will be happy just to get under 195..

tall girls have it hard, so hang in there, at least it looks like there are a lot of us tall girls out there who dont think being a size 14 means we aren't looking great :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a relative who is 6' When she was a teenager she was 140 pounds and her 5'2" older sister called her fat because she weighed more than 110. Whaaaaaaat? Unfortunately my relative believed her sister and thus began an unhealthy relationship with food and exercise that helped her gain her way up to around 300 at one point.
  • acbaessler
    acbaessler Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 6' and the smallest I've ever been was a size 14 jeans and I was 172 lbs to metion I had testing done and had 7% body fat and I still was a size 14! I jumped way up to a 24 and proudly back down to an 18 with more weight to loose but I order all my jeans from alloy.com they carry up to 37" inseam I love being able to have cute stylish jeans that are long enough for my plus size frame.
    They have cute jeans that help me fit in with my age group as far as style:)) got a new pair coming next week!!
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm JUST under 6' and I'm in an Australian size 12 at the moment, but I still have a little way to go yet
  • kileymccusker
    kileymccusker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just for anyone that is interested, here are a few places I have shopped for taller jeans online.

Long Tall Sally, Long Legs Toronto, Delias (they carry up to size 19 and 37" inseams), Pzi jeans.

I was at my skinniest at age 21 at a size 11...I was in police foundations and I was working out really hard. Now a stay at home mom I have climbed up to 280 and a size 18. I am working on getting to 175. I am not sure what size that will make me as I am pretty busty as well and still have the worst time shopping for tops :(
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Right now size some where between a 18 and 16
    5'10, 238

In high school I wore 14 or 16 (senior prom dress was a 16) and I was adorable. Too bad I didn't think so at the time. My sister is built very similarly to me but thinner and she rocked 10 longs in high school. That's kind of my arbitrary goal, but we'll see
  • t_kess
    t_kess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and hoping to eventually be around 170. I'm fitting back into my size 16's again, but they seem to be different depending on the store. ><
  • ajstout652
    ajstout652 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm 6'0" and absolutely adore Alloy! I am wearing them at work now! ::) They are cheap too!
  • coconut1989
    Options
    Im 6 foot and wieght 152lbs and want to get back to 140-142lbs because 10lbs of fat does make a difference and its been 2 years carrying it around. I have a small frame for my hieght so 140-142 is perfect for me because if I ever was to get up to 170lbs I would look chubby and because thats for a bigger frame person.
  • ckleiner92
    Options
    At 247 lbs I am a size 16 that is slightly tight. When I was down to almost 200 I could get into a 12 pretty well. When i was in the 214 rand 16s were too big at gap and old navy. No they are to small almost. I have a small bones though and carry a majority of my weight on my hips, stomach and upper thighs. my ultimate goal is 145 that I was six years ago and did not look too thin
  • rschreiber
    rschreiber Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to read this post. I am 5'10" and currently at 179. Down from 186 a few weeks ago. Honestly, I don't hate myself at this weight. I am pretty happy with myself in a size 10...not so much at size 14 (I'm just getting back into my bigger 12's right now). My goal weight is 165, maybe 160, even though some of the "ideal weight calculators" say I should be 150. I don't think I could MAINTAIN 150. I'd rather get to a healthy weight that I can maintain without counting every silly calorie. (I can't keep this up forever!) It's been hard for me to stop comparing myself to my petite friends, or those freakish tall friends that weigh 140 without any effort (seemingly). A 10-12 seems like the right size for my frame, lifestyle, etc.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 125 lbs, and have anything from size 0 to size 6's in my closet. They all fit.

I have very little booty, and small hips, but not a very defined waist. All the women in my family have the same shape, but I'm the only one who has height.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I am 6' and have been up and down the scale my whole life. I got to my lowest weight at this height three years ago when I was just about fitting into some size 16s at the Gap and almost 14s at Old Navy (their sizes run large, right?).

I love beautiful clothes but it seems that my ideal size is not within the range of most designers.

So, just curious--for those of you who have been/are tall and at a good weight, what size are you? I met a woman once who was my height, ran every day and had a gorgeous figure and she said she wore a size 16. Rodarte doesn't come in size 16!!

It is difficult if you're long limbed ~ upper and lower torso and are medium or large framed (I'm assuming). Personally I'm 64% or so legs, so my sizing gets a little wonky in my opinion ~ Upper torso (petite body with tall woman attached limbs ~ my arms) vs my lower torso (leggy); Main torso (petite) vs attached limbs (arms and legs of a tall woman), but proportionate all around, less the legs. I simply refer to it as the effects of my ancestors battle for real estate through me.

As a small framed tall woman presently weighing < 120lb my upper torso is attired with some effort with sleeveless petite size 2 - 4 (only still too busty) or the junior size small, with a waistline which is generally more than 4 sizes smaller than my bust ~ which is where I'd generally always been, only now a lot tighter (having reclaimed myself through this journey).

I can oftentimes loathe shopping (for I am always requiring alterations). Alexandre Vauthier is quite a growing favourite of mine with a few of his select designs in his collections ... Just privied Rodarte's official webpage thanks to your mention.

Edited to add: 5 ft 10 close to 183cm
  • superchargedRD
    superchargedRD Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How much did you weigh at this size? I wear a 4-6 and am 5'10". I'm just curious
    When I was tooooo thin- dangerous I wore a 4-6 5'10 1/2 === I think i look best in a 12-14 and you are right- try to find something classy in that size--- Lane Bryant occasionally will have some stylish things as does Lands End (more casual) and they have them in talls-other than that I am always looking for places to shop for my poor 35 inch inseams!!!
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, and my goal size is a 10.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I am 6' and have been up and down the scale my whole life. I got to my lowest weight at this height three years ago when I was just about fitting into some size 16s at the Gap and almost 14s at Old Navy (their sizes run large, right?).

I love beautiful clothes but it seems that my ideal size is not within the range of most designers.

So, just curious--for those of you who have been/are tall and at a good weight, what size are you? I met a woman once who was my height, ran every day and had a gorgeous figure and she said she wore a size 16. Rodarte doesn't come in size 16!!

It is difficult if you're long limbed ~ upper and lower torso and are medium or large framed (I'm assuming). Personally I'm 64% or so legs, so my sizing gets a little wonky in my opinion ~ Upper torso (petite body with tall woman attached limbs ~ my arms) vs my lower torso (leggy); Main torso (petite) vs attached limbs (arms and legs of a tall woman), but proportionate all around, less the legs. I simply refer to it as the effects of my ancestors battle for real estate through me.

As a small framed tall woman presently weighing < 120lb my upper torso is attired with some effort with sleeveless petite size 2 - 4 (only still too busty) or the junior size small, with a waistline which is generally more than 4 sizes smaller than my bust ~ which is where I'd generally always been, only now a lot tighter (having reclaimed myself through this journey).

I can oftentimes loathe shopping (for I am always requiring alterations). Alexandre Vauthier is quite a growing favourite of mine with a few of his select designs in his collections ... Just privied Rodarte's official webpage thanks to your mention.

Edited to add: 5 ft 10 close to 183cm

Agree^. Much like my sister ^, I too am tall@a few increments above 6ft and my current weight is 127lbs. I wear a size 4 for my upper torso and 6or 8 for my pants etc - my legs are long though@74% of my body. Unlike my sister, I have a lot more space beneath my bust to my hips, which is where I still have a lot of work to do, to drop the pooch(32") I carry beneath my 25"waist; 32" buttocks; 31" hips; beneath 32C bust. Despite my height, it is fairly obvious where my extra poundage is. Unfortunately we cannot isolate the areas we want the FAT to shed from - I need to continue eating at a deficit+strength training + cardio, until my pooch is GONE - GOAL. lol. I do not look skinny at all and I think a person can look skinny IF they have lost weight beyond their bone frame( like a home that has large windows/rods with small curtains/drapery or small window with oversized curtains/drapery ) - I am a smaller framed woman amongst the small frame, only tall.

ETA: GOAL
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'10"! The lowest adult weight i've been at was 165 which was a little skinny for me because I have a larger frame. BUT right now I'm wearing a size 10, sometimes but not usually 12 ( only in junior stores like American Eagle or Abercrombie and Fitch or something like that--which i rarely shop there anymore anyways). I'm 193 lb.!

I even have a few size 8 jeans ( stretchy though). I'm looking to wear a size 8 constituently and I think I will be able to at around 175!

It's all about your body composition. I have a good amount of lean muscle, so I can fit into smaller sized jeans for my weight.

193- size 10 and sometimes 12
    175-solid size 8 hopefully

Hope this helps!;-)