Ideal size for tall girls?

Options

Replies

• JustCallMeTori
    JustCallMeTori Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft and currently 173 lbs and a size 12. I'm only 5 lbs down from the heaviest I have ever been and I feel horrible still. I have a small to medium frame so I would like to be back down to a size 8 but would be very happy at a 10. I've gained 30 pounds since my husband and I got married 7 years ago so I would really like to lose that extra weight because I was very happy at the size I was on my wedding day. :)
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are so many different sizes for similar weights and heights. I am 5'9" have a lot of muscle, and weigh 140-142. I went shopping today and size 4s (jeans, so sizes 27-28ish in higher end brands) were a little big. And, sorry, but that is some ridiculous vanity sizing; it was irritating. I am by no means too skinny (if anything I look more muscular); I look plump at a size 8.

I am envious of all of you with long legs! Despite being relatively tall, I don't wear long pants as most of my height is in my torso. It sucks being 5'9" and needing to get high-end jeans hemmed!
  • missems1
    missems1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" so not as tall as some of you ladies ;). I've reached my goal weight of 140lbs and currently weigh usually between 138-140lbs. I wear a UK12 but sometimes have to get a 14 on top as I have broad shoulders and long arms.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm NEARLY 5'11 - a quarter of an inch off - currently 140lbs, hoping to lose the last 5 pounds. Right now I were a UK 10 in skirts and dresses, sometimes an 8 in tops (pear shape so smaller on the top) and a 10/12 in Jeans cause I've massive hips. At my lowest (128lbs) I was wearing uk 6, but was really waay too thin.
    Just wish I'd grow that quarter of an inch for a nice round number :D
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am 6foot and at my smallest weight (maybe 170lb) I was a size 14 verging on 12. I looked very thin though and people were always surprised when they found out my clothes size. I try not to take much notice of clothes sizes any more because they are just so arbitrary. I am 254lb now and I am a size 16-18 on top and 20 on the bottom (got big hips :/)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    So much depends on your bone structure. My mom was 5'9" and got down to 115 pounds from illness and was still a size 13.

I'm 5'10" Lowest weight since college was 174, and I was in size 14 pants and L tops. But I've got very, very wide hips, and I'm not sure how I'd ever get much smaller in pants size.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" with a large frame (wide hips, broad shoulders). I know I actually have a large frame because at my smallest I weighed 105 (that's a BMI of 15.1, which is pretty far in the "underweight" category) so I know exactly how big my skeleton is. :P

At that weight I was still a size 6 because of the size of my hips and shoulders. I was a size 6 and my doctor wanted to hospitalize me because she thought I was anorexic.

I'm 160 now, which is technically a healthy weight for my height (though the taller you are, the broader the range of "healthy weights" there are), and I wear a size 12. My goal weight is around 145, which would be a size 8/10/12 or so (depending on the store, stupid women's sizing. :P).

For people saying a size 12/14/16 isn't healthy for a tall woman... you do realize that tall people aren't just average-sized people stretched straight upwards, right? Most tall people have proportionately larger frames.
  • savithny
    Options
    For people saying a size 12/14/16 isn't healthy for a tall woman... you do realize that tall people aren't just average-sized people stretched straight upwards, right? Most tall people have proportionately larger frames.

A-freaking-men.

Apparently there is a "Law of Conservation of Female Volume,' whereby the taller you get, the thinner you must be to be "Okay" and compensate for it? A woman who is 5'4" and size 10 is somehow okay because she's not in "plus sizes" while a woman who is over 5"10" and in size 14 is "Unhealthy" simply because of the size pants she wears?

You guys do realize that "Ideal" weights scale up as hieght increases, right?

In high school, my best friend and I both wore a size 14. She was 5'0" and I was 5'10". But apparently, according to some people we were equally unhealthy at that point because we'd crossed the Fat Clothing Line? Seriously - I was at the absolute middle of the *current* values for "normal BMI" at that point.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    5'11, Medium Frame, 34 years old, I weight presently 155 and I'm a size 6-8. I got down to 145 last summer and was too thin for me. size 4-6. I've spent most of my adult life in the 175-165 range, size 10-12 and a few years around 14-16. 14-16 was the largest I ever let myself get and I felt awful.

There really is no IDEAL size for tall girls. It's where YOU feel good. I honestly think it depends on your age, your build and what you are used to. No one can dictate what YOU should be!
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

A-freaking-men.

Apparently there is a "Law of Conservation of Female Volume,' whereby the taller you get, the thinner you must be to be "Okay" and compensate for it? A woman who is 5'4" and size 10 is somehow okay because she's not in "plus sizes" while a woman who is over 5"10" and in size 14 is "Unhealthy" simply because of the size pants she wears?

You guys do realize that "Ideal" weights scale up as hieght increases, right?

In high school, my best friend and I both wore a size 14. She was 5'0" and I was 5'10". But apparently, according to some people we were equally unhealthy at that point because we'd crossed the Fat Clothing Line? Seriously - I was at the absolute middle of the *current* values for "normal BMI" at that point.

Actually I kinda am a proportionately normal person just stretched...I have a very small frame, if I wasn't a giant I'd venture to say my frame was petite.
    well I googled and several places say anywhere from 135-176 (give or take a few pounds..not all sites agreed)..and what I am trying to say is that 14 isn't healthy for EVERY ONE who's 5'11. I'm overweight by these standards, yet still am only in a 13 (and some 11s) AND I've got a small frame...so everyone is different. But yes...someone can be 135 and HEALTHY...and also NOT BE size 14 and be healthy, and also some people are probably healthy in a 14...I'm not exceptionally thin when I'm 145ish (and a 7-9)..just healthy, but I also know if another chick with my height but a bigger frame weighed that much she'd look malnourished. But I do think a lot of people who are taller make that an excuse for weighing more, when in reality they could stand to get in better shape/lose weight/whateveryouwanttocallit.
  • mzione904
    mzione904 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 180 lbs and a size 10/12 right now. I love it! My goal is to lose another 20 lbs to finally be in the "healthy" weight range but honestly, if i dont lose any more weight, I'd be perfectly happy at the same size I am right now.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft too. I'm at 171 and a size 10 on the bottom and a 14 on the top (hello linebacker shoulders!). My profile picture is from this week. I think I look pretty good!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and thought that I rocked a 12... then started lifting heavy and rock an 8 now. I will probably get to be a 6... which I think is crazy.
  • savithny
    Options
    But yes...someone can be 135 and HEALTHY...and also NOT BE size 14 and be healthy, and also some people are probably healthy in a 14...I'm not exceptionally thin when I'm 145ish (and a 7-9)..just healthy, but I also know if another chick with my height but a bigger frame weighed that much she'd look malnourished. But I do think a lot of people who are taller make that an excuse for weighing more, when in reality they could stand to get in better shape/lose weight/whateveryouwanttocallit.

But my point? Is that just because a clothing size is "plus size" doesn't mean that the woman wwearing the clothing is overweight, or unhealthy. Clothing size is just clothing size!

It's like that algorithm that gets tossed around, "If a woman's waist is bigger than X, it means she's at increased risk of DEATH." Well, my true waist measurement even at a healthy weight is really close to X, because ribcage. Meanwhile, someone a foot shorter than me would have to be 50-60 pounds overweight to get that waist measurement. One one-dimensional measurement can't define health for the entire spectrum of people.

My feet are like the rest of my skeleton - they are much bigger than the feet of a shorter woman - and this is good, or I'd probably fall over. Yet you don't ever hear people say "OMG! That woman is HUGE! Why doesn't she do something about those Size 11s!"
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm a shorty (5'3") but I thought some of you might find this useful:

Work out your current body fat % here first: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    You'll need a tape measure to get the following: Neck measurement (in inches), Waist measurement (in inches), Hip measurement (at widest point) plus your height and weight.

When you have your bf% plug that number into here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/ to get your goal/ideal weight

(Works for people of all shapes and sizes)

:flowerforyou:
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" and 52 years old. I currently weigh 198 and am stuck there for a bit. That's a high weight for me. I wear size 14 currently and have been as low as 8 and 10. My goal is 170 or so and I've been there before. I honestly don't care what size I am as long as I'm happy with being more toned. Whenever I need pants I do a search for Ultra Talls on the computer. JC Penney had some there for awhile, but the selection is not what it used to be. They have the low -rise pants and I bought a few pair cause my kids were after me to get rid of my "mom jeans". :) I've been walking alot and doing the 30 Day Squat Challenge. I'm going to be starting the 30 Day Shred so I'm anxious to see if that kicks in the old metabolism.

I'm always looking for tall friends so anyone please feel free to friend me :)
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree that the size of clothing shouldn't be a determinant of health..but weight to height ratio, BMI, etc should. I am not physically (or emotionally for that matter) healthy at 175-180...but like I said, bone structure clearly plays a role here. I only wear an 8-8.5 shoe and have very narrow shoulders (a small would fit me in tops across the shoulders, chest, etc..not my gut right now but u get my point)...everyone is different but saying 14 is normal for a tall person just isn't true, and the rude comment from someone (don't remember who) saying that the only way someone tall would be smaller is if they're on a strict diet or using supplements just isn't true. I have never really had serious issues with my weight until recently (I blame it on pushing 30 and a slowing metabolism, along with being sedentary because of school)...long story short, it's nearly impossible to classify a tall person within a 'norm'...I mean only us tall people have such a wide varying 'normal' weight...At the end of the day everyone here knows if they've got an extra few lumps of fat that's pushing the scale/size up..and I am only saying that our heights should never be the 'excuse' for being said weight/size...
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", currently bouncing between 170-175, wearing a size 10 (US). My profile pic shows that this is a great weight for me! I think I look pretty damn good.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm a shorty (5'3") but I thought some of you might find this useful:

Work out your current body fat % here first: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    You'll need a tape measure to get the following: Neck measurement (in inches), Waist measurement (in inches), Hip measurement (at widest point) plus your height and weight.

When you have your bf% plug that number into here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/ to get your goal/ideal weight

(Works for people of all shapes and sizes)

:flowerforyou:

Ooo thank you for this. This just made me realize that my goal weight is much lower than it should be assuming I am able to keep my lean mass.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Instead of size or weight, focus on body fat percentage. I'm 5'8 and weight 160ish, wear a comfortable size 8 and am low 20s BF%. Who cares how much I weigh or what size I wear? Not me. Perhaps others. I gladly share my stats, though.

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg