WOMEN AGES 50+ for MAY

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My "picnic" was indoors at my friend's house - too cold and windy. So far the forecast tomorrow looks better, so maybe this smaller group that I am having will be a go. Otherwise, we will go to my daughter's house.
    My last nap: Picture it: Rural Kansas December 1st, 1984
    A young woman (really, I was one once!) spends her first day home from the hospital with her youngest daughter, 4 days old. She kisses her hubby and sends him off to work, kisses her firstborn and puts her on the school bus for kindergarten. She lives in the middle of the country, miles from anyone. She begins her new life with her three year old daughter and the baby. Up half the night with the baby, she is very tired. She nurses, she changes diapers, she makes peanut butter sandwiches and gets glasses of milk, she plays toddler games and sings lullabies. Her eyes droop. Lunch is over. She gets the baby to sleep in the bassinet in the dining room, and gets the 3 year old to sleep in her bedroom. At last! Relief is near! Laying down on the bed, she closes her eyes . . . Suddenly she is jerked awake by the blaring of a smoke alarm. The house is full of smoke! She leaps out of bed, and realizes that the smoke is coming from the big farmhouse stove heater in the dining room. She grabs the baby, straps her in a seat, grabs the toddler, and sits them both down in the kitchen by the open outside door to get air while she runs to investigate. She finds that the smoldering from the heater is coming from the Wet Ones, which the 3 year old has stuffed one by one into the heater, and little flames are starting from them. She runs to the kitchen, grabs a fork, and fishes every last wet one out of the heater. After opening up the windows and doors on the cold day to air out the house, this woman, who has up until now acted with calm efficiency, calls her husband at work, breaks down crying, and begs him to return home. He explains that is impossible. She pulls herself together, puts her Mom hat back on, and survives. Only one thing is missing. She has lost her ability to fall asleep during the day, and the change is permanent, even to this day.

P.S. I will post the latest new birthday list when we hit 500 posts and switch to a new page.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi Trying to catch up with everyone but I've got to page 20 and need to get off to work.

I'll try and catch up with you all tonight.

Have a good day everyone.

:heart:
    Viv xx
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Weighed in this morning and have lost 1.6 lbs. :smile:

A friend invited me to go to a "gospelfest" at her church yesterday afternoon. I figured why not, it will get me out of the house. I just wasn't remembering "Church = Food". We walked in and I saw platters of all kinds of sweets and junk, you get the picture. Well when I sat down with my friends with only a bottle of water they looked at me like I was crazy. My girlfriend said I was making her feel guilty but I wasn't about to undo all I had worked for last week. People can feel guilty and look at me as if I'm the one with the problem all they want!

Cindy
  • eotrg
    eotrg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, JJ has another issue, he is tongue-tied. I had heard of that term so many times before, but never knew what it really meant. It makes it very hard for him to nurse, since he tongue can not extend well enough to suck. He has to go to an ENT surgeon tomorrow, and they are going to clip the part that is keeping his tongue from extending. The whole thing has been so hard for my grand daughter and her husband, but hopefully, it will soon be remedied, and he will be on his way to nursing well and so he can gain weight and grow.

eotrg--My grandson was also tongue-tied. They did a little clip right in the doctor's office--no problem at all! They were told to bring him in hungry so he would nurse right after and it worked. He was--and is--fine and is growing like crazy! It was much worse for the parents than for him! (He's almost 11 months old now and into EVERYTHING!)
    Thank you so much for that information! :heart: We live in a small town, and haven't talked to anyone else who had that done. It's such a relief to know that it was successful for your grandson.
    Deborah <----:blushing: just a concerned great grandma
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Dear Ladies!

Mary: WOW...no wonder you've never had another nap. And you certainly have a gift for writing! I love your story. Glad it had a happy ending:yawn: , but no more naps:yawn:

Cindy: Way to go... sticking to your guns...and congratulations on the loss! That's the best reward :drinker:

Deborah: Glad that Kathy had a previous experience so you won't worry so much. Thinking of you all.

I've washed all my berries and sliced a nice cantalope that has been ripening on my counter for a few days, so I am bringing a huge bowl of fresh fruit. I did make a quiche to take to my friend's beach house, but used skim milk, lower fat cheese and some fresh sauteed spinach & onions. The weather is beautiful so we should get some nice walks in each day. I have to go out and WATER again because, still, NO RAIN here:grumble:

I probably won't check in here til I get back home Wednesday night. I hope everyone has a good week and I'll look forward to hearing from you when I get back. Take care, Dear friends, Kackie:heart:
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies, I must appologise for not being here every day. I have been laying on my bed or couch with a book to get my back rested. Tim's is very hard on me in that respect, thus, to save myself from a revisit to the hospital I did the best thing for me. My diet and exercise has blown away in the wind somewhere, but I'm not going to stress myself too much. I will try to eat better to rid of any cravings, so I will not be in trouble with my conscience. My body is also very tired, looking at myself in the mirror the other day I seen a woman I had not seen previously, she was much older, tired, and grandma shaped. I felt a bit of sadness yet I am an older lady, but I know I don't have to be the shape this woman has.

I will be here in and out as the sun peaks through clouds, but as the sun, here. My new job starts tomorrow, so I don't know what my spare time will be until I get some scheduling done. Three jobs!

Take care ladies and I will be glad to hear from you if you wish to e-mail me, certainly would like to chat and keep up.

Love to all..

Marilyn
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon everyone!!
    Have a great day!!
    jane
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    DEBORAH, My youngest son had that problem and the doctor clipped the cord under the tongue and he never had another problem with it. I was so worried and it turned out to be nothing at all. i pray the same for your sweet addition to the family.

Star
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Just printed the birthday list so I will be able to remember hopefully.
    So belated Happy Birthday to chiclet, smwert, and lovediets. Hope it was a good one.

Cindy good for you. it is so funny how people will comment when we eat nothing or eat right but if we eat everything on the buffet no one says a word.

This is going to be a crazy week. Yesterday was the 3 four year olds and 10 year old dance recital. My DIL's SIL is the dance teacher and she does a great job. All Christian music to dance theme. Really nice.
    Today Heather and I are invited to lunch at Emma's school for a thank you for our volunteer efforts during the year.
    Tomorrow is Emma's pre-K graduation and Regan's award ceremony.
    Wednesday night is Skyler and Rhea's pre school program.
    Thursday is Byron's 1st birthday, his doctor check up, Rhea and Skyler water day at pre k, Raymond's award's program at school.
    Saturday is Byrons birthday party.
    I think that is it Wow I am tired thinking of it.
    Michell I see they are having the shuttle life off. are you able to attend.
    vicki M
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Boy, I'm really losing it! :noway: I thought I posted on here last night and I guess that's all I did.....thought about it! :ohwell: I have a busy day and don't have time now to catch up, but wanted to say Good Morning, have a great day and in the bluebird house there is one bluebird egg and 5 tree swallow eggs. I haven't seen the swallows tho. It's like she laid the eggs and left! The bluebirds come back and eat their mealworms daily.

Gotta go. Be :happy: everyone!

Dee:flowerforyou:
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Mary, do write something and publish it somewhere. You held my interest completely and it is not easy to do. I skip a lot of short stories after the first two sentences. Like the way you tell it. :smile:

Mamacindy, congrats on your loss of 1.6. good job.:flowerforyou:

Natalie, I know how frustrating it can be, but hang in there. All of a sudden that scale will move.

Vicki, How do you keep track of it all? What you just told us, did you write from a list or your head. wow!!!!!

Jane, belated birthday wishes for much happiness.:flowerforyou:

Marilyn, Get well soon. Every milestone, people asked how does it feel to be 40,50, 60. I said the same up to 50. When I hit 60 I started to feel old. That pushed me, along with other things into depression and that led to a horrific weight gain. Now, looking back, I can't imagine why I felt that way and heading toward 70 does not bother me at all. Goes to show that life is all about change and our mindset can change too. You said something important, you don't have to be the shape you see in the mirror if you are not happy with it. You and only you can change that. Be strong, be positive and as you age you will be ok with the new version of a lovely woman. You will see someone in that mirror who is confident and happy with who she is.:flowerforyou:

Kackie, I was told that once a cantaloupe is picked it does not ripen any more? Am I wrong on this? Lately I cannot get a decent one and the taste is just awful. I don't know if I am eating a bad one (it looks and smells ok) or it is pesticide???
    I love cantaloupe and hope that when I shop again, I get a good one. Thanks.

Welcome to any new people.

Keep making those good choices ladies. Have a great day.

Star
  • TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!!

Cindy ... Awesome on your 1.6 lb weight loss. yay!! and resisting temptation. That's wonderful!!!

Mary...... You really grabbed me into your story. I bet you can write a good book. No wonder you can't take naps :sad:
    Thank goodness the story had a happy ending except for Not being able to take Naps :wink:

Marilyn...... Good Luck at the new Job!

I didn't take my own advice on waiting 15 minutes till the cravings past. UGH! Grrr Last night that went out the window. I didn't even think about waiting, I pigged out!! :cry: I'm okay today! Start over again. I haven't done that in a very long time. only once since I've been on MFP

I'm getting headaches from lifting weights & I'm getting extremely bored with the treadmill. I tried walk/ jog & incline & no incline & still bored as heck. So I thought about it and I really need to change things quickly or i'll give up all together.
    I plan On going back to my Leslie Sansone dvd's and maybe I better go back to lighter weights. Wish me luck I'll need it :wink:

Gotta get ready for work & stuff in Lunch before I go. I'll check back tonight

You all have a wonderful day!!!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I planted cantaloupe this year and will have to wait and see if they will be any good. I usually let them sit on the counter for a few days before cutting them. (I don't like them hard so I let them ripen in that way but don't know if that affects the sweetness )Anyway when I was reading up on planting cantaloupe it said they are sweeter if you don't water them too much at the end of their growing cycle. I'll have to check that out as well.

Natalie: I think we rate our success too much by what the scale says. This is from the "Made to Crave" Book:

"Ask yourself the following questions:

- Did I overeat this week on any day?
    - Did I move more and exercise regularly?
    - Do I feel lighter than I did at this time last week?
    - Did I eat in secret or out of anger or frustration?
    - Did I feel that, at any time, I ran to food instead of to God?
    - Before I hopped on the scale, did I think I'd had a successful, God-pleasing week? "

This is helping me a lot. I am changing my thinking.

Well, lots of housework to get done,

Have a good day all

Cindy
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    I planted cantaloupe this year and will have to wait and see if they will be any good. I usually let them sit on the counter for a few days before cutting them. (I don't like them hard so I let them ripen in that way but don't know if that affects the sweetness )Anyway when I was reading up on planting cantaloupe it said they are sweeter if you don't water them too much at the end of their growing cycle. I'll have to check that out as well.

Natalie: I think we rate our success too much by what the scale says. This is from the "Made to Crave" Book:

"Ask yourself the following questions:

- Did I overeat this week on any day?
    - Did I move more and exercise regularly?
    - Do I feel lighter than I did at this time last week?
    - Did I eat in secret or out of anger or frustration?
    - Did I feel that, at any time, I ran to food instead of to God?
    - Before I hopped on the scale, did I think I'd had a successful, God-pleasing week? "

This is helping me a lot. I am changing my thinking.

Well, lots of housework to get done,

Have a good day all

Cindy

Thanks so much for the encouragement.... I am trying, I got on the scale this morning, and from the last time I weighed, which was a week ago, I have lost .2 of a pound.... WHOOO, oh boy, you know, since 17 days on cycle 2, (17 day diet), I have lost nothing.... but I guess the positive way to look at it is to say that I didn't gain either...
    I will continue on to cycle 3, which adds more of the good carbs to your diet, but I will have to watch it very closely, as carbs are my enemy and I will always have to watch what carbs I put in my mouth.
    Today I am going to play bridge at the senior center, bringing my lunch and will have a good time, need to go shopping after...
    have a good afternoon :)
    Natalie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Teresa - Just a thought here, do you hold your breath when you lift the weights? You should breathe in on exertion. It is most natural to hold your breath when exerting but it is NOT good for you and I think (I would underline this if possible) it can give you headaches. The trainer at the gym said to always inhale on exertion whether using free weights or any of the machines. The more effort you put out, the more important it is to breathe properly. Hope this helps the headaches.

Another thought - maybe the treadmill is boring because it's too easy for you? I find if something is a challenge it is not boring. Have you tried the elliptical? I don't know if you go to a gym or have a treadmill at home but if you do go to a gym try the elliptical. There are many programs and levels that will keep you challenged and definitely not bored. I don't have the greatest knees but the elliptical works fine for me.

Mimi - I think you win the weird weather lotto. Snow, sleet AND hail? Personally I would be on the lookout for a plague of locusts myself... :noway:

Mary - Thanks for the "why I don't take naps" tale. I can't do naps either but don't have nearly as interesting a reason. I'm with Alice; I just feel drugged for the rest of the day of the day if I take one. I better get over that if I want to get really old. Judging by my folks, naps happen when you get in your late 80's! I have time to get over my problem. :wink:

Alice - I'm curious. What kind of farm do you have? Livestock apparently from you comment about being able to get back to sleep after caring for animals. I lived on a farm as a kid and sometimes wish I still did. I want to have some critters, as we have room on our 10 acres, but I can't get the DH enthused. :ohwell: Do you raise crops too? I at least have a garden.

Well, it's time to get back to work on my the bed. One more coast of stain to go and then the polyurethane.

Faye
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Guys ..............

Hope all is well for you at the start of this week.

:ohwell: My Zumba hopes are dashed for tonight! My friend usually takes me as I have no transport in the evenings. #1 son is borrowing my car while his is being MOT'd. Unfortunately she has a cold and is under the weather and won't be going.
    Methinks I'll get out the Latino tone DVD.

:drinker: To be ready for guests at the end of the month, I cooked a lasagne for the freezer today and roasted duck crowns ...also for the freezer. I'll make an orange and brandy sauce to soak them in while they cool and voila we have two meals for when we get back from our break. I think we're going to have a hectic time and the more I can prepare in advance the better. DH had a baby lasagne for tea today ....I only had the bolognaise sauce with vegetables!

:smile: We're thinking of going down to just one car anyway as most of the time one sits on the drive !.Just worried it will feel like we've lost a "Safety Blanket"!! You know how you feel when you leave the house without your mobile (Cell phone) The money raised will be put towards some minor house alterations we want to do.It sounds easy but for non DIY'ers we need professional help.To them knocking through a partition wall so we have a large L shaped kitchen dining room , is easy peasy!!

Anyway ....DH is off to work. Now comes the test time when i'm on my own for the evening. :laugh: Back to the tape over the mouth maybe?

Have a good evening everyone. If you've been good today well done. If not ....tomorrrow is another day to begin again.
    Take care all.
    BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Turned 50 recently so I guess I qualify here though not anywhere near grand kiddos yet. I've got got two wonderful boys, 8 and 14 years so my life is there - many of you know the drill with that. ((-: I'm busy homeschooling and my Sweetie lives in another place two hours away. Somehow in the mix of it all I'm managing to lose fat! A member posted elsewhere the other day about HRT and BarbieCat kindly directed us here. I'm stopping by to say "Hi Ya'll" and if any of you are interested I posted a bit about HRT on that thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/240876-women-around-50
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    25 – zuback55

February:
    15 - anotheryearolder
    ? - SuzyQ

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    7 - DebKRN
    8 – pmjsmom
    12 – glendaaus
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    25 – barbiecat
    30 – BirdieM
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    14 - ildi59
    22 – sceck

May:
    2- Jane (janemartin02)
    4 – chicletgirl21
    6 - smwert
    13 – lovediets
    20 – mimi7grands
    25 – jam0525
    25 - wehavethestars
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    3- Deborah (eotrg)
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    27 - Donna56

July:
    3- iojoi
    7 – Lindaj07
    ? - mynyddisamrs

August:
    7 - MacMadame
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 - cherubcrnp

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 - ItsTerriC

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 - peepocheck
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    30 - SallyCC

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl

Here is a recently updated birthday list........check to make sure your birthday is on the list

Many of us put our birthday as part of the signature so everyone can see it :bigsmile:

Mine is April 11
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Turned 50 recently so I guess I qualify here though not anywhere near grand kiddos yet. I've got got two wonderful boys, 8 and 14 years so my life is there - many of you know the drill with that. ((-: I'm busy homeschooling and my Sweetie lives in another place two hours away. Somehow in the mix of it all I'm managing to lose fat! A member posted elsewhere the other day about HRT and BarbieCat kindly directed us here. I'm stopping by to say "Hi Ya'll" and if any of you are interested I posted a bit about HRT on that thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/240876-women-around-50

Welcome.

I had a total hysterectomy Dec 2007. I started HRT at that time. My doc advised due to my relative young age that it would be in my best interest to keep taking it. All I know is ever since that Dec day, my weight as went up, but it was still the best choice I ever made.