WOMEN AGES 50+ for MAY

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
hellofriends.gif

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
Hello to all my long time friends on this thread as well as the newer ones and the new ones that we will meet this month.
This is a great place for support and encouragement…….even though the name is Women ages 50+ we welcome all women to share with us.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals for April? What goals do you have planned for May?
Some of us set goals for the whole month, some set short term goals. Some of us set weight loss goals and others set goals for new behaviors and attitudes.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: When I found MFP and then this thread in February 2009 I weighed 183 pounds, a weight that I had kept from increasing for 15 years by staying with a diet that I thought was pretty healthy:laugh: and some regular exercise (walking and dancing). I thought I was destined to be heavy forever and I didn’t like the prospect. I had always scoffed at the suggestion to write down everything I ate, but the food log on the computer captured my interest. I had never been part of an online community but I tried posting and liked the good feeling of getting a response. Since then I have posted my meals and exercise on MFP every day with the exception of a few when having no internet connection prevented me. I post on this thread almost every day and have found a community of women who share my passion for losing weight and getting healthy……we have supported and encouraged each other not only with our eating and exercise but also through personal and family crisis.

:flowerforyou: Someone else started this thread (she’s still a member of MFP but is using it in a different way) and one month when she was going to be camping, she asked me to start the new thread and I’ve been doing it ever since

:flowerforyou: It’s a new page on the calendar and a new opportunity to change your life………let’s go.

smiley-bounce016.gif

PS……I like the suggestion of putting your birthday in your signature so we can all remember to wish each other Happy Birthday :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• Gramma5
    Gramma5 Posts: 15
    Options
    Still April here in the Northwest for a couple more hours ! The Vancouver Canucks just lost their game tonight ....... I have upset MALES in the family .... me not so much ! LOL ! i so ready to be done with HOCKEY for this season but still have a month or more of it to suffer through !

April was a very good month for me as I lost weight and have started taking small walks . The big difference I think is our snow has almost gone and we can think about loading the RV or camping season !!!! The food will be an issue for me ( I plan on staying on track though ! ) but we will get lots of exercise ! We are leaving the RV down in a campground south of here ( if you are heading to Alaska up Highway 97 you pass right by us ! LOL ) for the whole season ( other then 2 week when we are heading out on holidays ) . That means we will spend a LOT of time at the campground with lots of walking the dogs :-)

Good luck to everybody this month . Stay safe if you live where the weather is causing major problems , travel safe if you are traveling anywhere and drink your water regardless to what or where you are going to be or what you will be doing !
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Happy May everyone. :love: It’s hard to believe how time has flown by. I’m loving the good weather. Pretty soon, I’ll have to get out early to avoid the heat. It takes me by surprise every year.

Thanks for the compliments about my new profile pic. :blushing: It’s nice (and kind of weird) to get compliments on how I look. I’m enjoying it! (Michelle, the pic doesn’t show the wrinkles! :laugh: )

The pic is from Easter. I thought I’d share the “big picture” with all four generations of the “girls” – from my mom at 85, daughters at 43 and 37, me at almost 63, to my granddaughters who are 6 and 4, and Izzy too of course. I feel lucky that we're all still motoring along.

Shoot. I was just thinking about it, I have a grandson who is 20. He could make me a great grandma. Noooooooooo. :noway:

Kackie, I love your new photo too. You look vibrant. Dang, girl.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie, I got the address of the nearest dog park. It’s about a half hour drive away (not good with gas going over $4), but sounds like a good park, with separate spaces for big, small, and shy dogs. I’m looking forward to checking it out. Izzy is too.

Gramma, congrats on the weight loss and getting out there and exercising. :flowerforyou: What a difference it makes.

I still haven’t caught up with all the posts. I’ll do it little by little over the next week or so. In the meantime, thank you to everyone for being here.

:heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Bump .... back later x
  • kerrynev
    kerrynev Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for your commitment to this site. Goal for this month is to log on every day and log all my calories and exercise.
    Kerry
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good morning everyone

:smile: Did everyone watch the Wedding? I saw most of it, Kate looked very calm didn't she.

:glasses: It's a lovely sunny day today, I've got some washing on the line blowing in the breeze, it's a bit too breezy to sit out, but it's a good day for a walk, we'll be taking the dogs out for their second walk later this afternoon.

:flowerforyou: Mimi loved the photo of you and your family.

:drinker: April wasn't too bad for me, I think I lost a little weight (not much but better than nothing) but unfortunately I didn't keep up with the exercise, so back to the drawing board on that!

:flowerforyou: I wish we had dog parks over here like you do in the US, our walk was cut short yesterday because of a motor cycle, we kept trying to avoid him, but everywhere we went he seemed to turn up :angry: :angry: Frankie hates motor cycles so we called it a day and went home after half an hour or so - my mum made me laugh when I mentioned this to her, she said "he hates most things" :laugh: :laugh: it's true there's not many things Frankie does like, I think eating and peace and quiet are top of his list :bigsmile:

:ohwell: I'd better get into the kitchen, the dinner is nearly ready and I need to put the Yorkshire Puddings in.

Need to think of new goals for May too.

Take care everyone.

Viv xx
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I got up this morning singing a song from "Camelot":
    Tra la! It's May!
    The lusty month of May!
    That lovely month when ev'ryone goes
    Blissfully astray.
    Tra la! It's here!
    That shocking time of year
    When tons of wicked little thoughts
    Merrily appear!
    It's May! It's May!
    That gorgeous holiday
    When ev'ry maiden prays that her lad
    Will be a cad!
    It's mad! It's gay!
    A libelous display!
    Those dreary vows that ev'ryone takes,
    Ev'ryone breaks.
    Ev'ryone makes divine mistakes
    The lusty month of May!

Sometimes I kind of rewrite it to suit me - I sing "It's May! It's May! The lovely month of May!" and make up some spring lyrics that fit me better. :laugh:

I did pretty well on my goals for April. It's a good thing that I didn't set a goal to lose any weight, because I didn't. However, I did log all but 3 days (Easter weekend), exercised an average of 200 minutes a week, and kept a good attitude! Think I will continue these goals for May.

Hope you all have a great May Day! I will post the updated list of birthdays next.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Here is my most current birthday list. If you aren't on here and want to me, let me know when your birthday is. Did I say May is my favorite birthday month??

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    25 – zuback55

February:
    15 - anotheryearolder
    ? - SuzyQ

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    7 - DebKRN
    8 – pmjsmom
    12 – glendaaus
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    25 – barbiecat
    30 – BirdieM
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    14 - ildi59
    22 – sceck

May:
    4 – chicletgirl21
    6 - smwert
    13 – lovediets
    20 – mimi7grands
    25 – jam0525
    25 - wehavethestars
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    27 - Donna56

July:
    7 – Lindaj07
    ? - mynyddisamrs

August:
    7 - MacMadame
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 - cherubcrnp

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 - ItsTerriC

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 - peepocheck
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    30 - SallyCC

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a great start to May!:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    A new Month...a new empty slate. Let's all fill it with good, healthy choices, shall we???

Happy May:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Kackie
  • Windi43
    Windi43 Posts: 11
    Options
    53 year old mom of two grown girls, new to Myfitnesspal and looking for friends and support!
  • cj1234cj23
    cj1234cj23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Christina and I'm 50. The weather is nice in South Carolina right now, and the tornadoes and storms went around us. Thinking about my friends in TN, NC and AL. Hope the weather stays nice until everyone can get situated in some shelter. It is a beautiful May morning! My goals for May? umm...to log in everyday within my calorie goal, and to get to 169 pounds. I feel like that would be a major milestone for me! :happy: Loved reading everyone's post! Great to see so many people from different places! Have a blessed day everyone!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy May Day!
    DH and I have been celebrating our 2nd anniversary all weekend (it is actually tomorrow May 2nd) He gave me flowers :flowerforyou: and really nice champagne.smiley-eatdrink060.gif and then he gave me diamond and saphire earrings. :bigsmile: Today we are having brunch with my father and his lady and then DH and I will be spending the rest of the day just truly enjoying each others company. I love him soooooo much.:love::love: :love: I hope that May is a great month for everyone. the sun is shining so I am in an incredibly good mood this morning. :happy:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy May Day! I was surprised this morning when I weighed to find I have lost 6 pounds since I got back with it. Must make it mind over matter and just do what I should every day. Hope each of you has a good weekend!:flowerforyou:
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, This is a perfect board for me to check in on daily. I just got done complaining on another board that I'm 51 years old and afraid my metabolisim may not be good enough to lose the weight i need to lose. I have 100 pounds total i have to lose and it is coming off much slower than pre 50. I seem to be losing about one pound per week since the second week on program. I lost 4.8 pounds in April, which I want to say I'm satisfied with but have to be honest and say i'm a little disappointed as i normally lose 2 pounds per week when i'm on a diet. AT this rate it will take me two years to lose the weight. I know, this is a life change and two years on program will definitely get me use to eating right.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Happy May!

I am going to say an early Happy Birthday to Smwert and Chiclet! Happy Birthday to you! And my all your birthday wishes come true.

How did I do in April? I put a total of 4 pounds back on. This is my first real bump up since joining MFP and I don’t like it. My theme for May is going to be getting back to basics and the things I did to get me here so far. I will post actual goals later after I’ve had some time to think about it.

Barbie – Thanks for starting the new thread.

Jeannie
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:

April showers brought May flowers
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:

April showers brought May flowers
  • jberberian
    jberberian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm new to MFP (2 days actually) and am loving everything I'm finding here. :love:
    I need to go back in and figure out how to add the Ticker. Just wanted to say Hi and thanks for being here. I have about 55 lbs. to lose at age 55 (well actually I have approx. 2 more weeks of being 55 :laugh:

May Goals: Walk with my nordic walking poles a minimum of 3 x a week.
    Lose 10 lbs.

7127314.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Birthday: May 13th (born on a Friday so I consider it good luck :wink:
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    Barbie,
    Thanks for starting every month with such an upbeat post. You are my inspiration.
    Mary,
    I remember that song very well and enjoyed that play tremendously. Richard Burton and Julie Andrews were just wonderful. Very cute how you make up your own lyrics.
    Michele,
    Yes, I remember Airplane and the blow up, it was pretty funny indeed.
    Nursecheryl,
    I am 67 on May 25th and lost over 100lbs at about 60 years of age. Some weeks I would drop 3 , some 2 and some 0 even though I did the same thing every week. I know how we want to take the weight off as fast as possible, but we just have to let nature handle things. Our body needs to adjust and will not listen to us at times. Just keep going and keep reminding yourself of your success so far. Set small goals along the way and each one that you reach, congratulate yourself for hanging in there. Right now I am trying to lose twenty pounds and can't exercise the way I used to. It has slowed me down and caused me to yo yo. I am fighting that. I lost one pound and my goal is to keep it off. For the month of May I hope to lose just two pounds and then to KEEP THEM OFF FOR GOOD. This will be the hardest test for me because , like you, I tend to be disappointed that it goes so slow. Barbie said something when I first started just about two weeks ago. She said it was not a race not to worry about how fast the weight comes off. She is right.

I wish everyone a wonderful month of May. Let's all do the best we can and have a positive outlook every month.

I also like the idea of the birthday being on the ticker Barbie. I am wondering how that is done, also, if we will be doing it?

Star
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    WOW, I am on day 17 of c1, tomorrow I start on C2 D1... whooooo
    I did cheat a bit last night and had a 8 oz skirt steak, broccoli and salad... I didn't weigh myself, probably ate to much of the steak, but we ate out at this place and that is what they are known for.
    Tonight we are going to eat out again, but I will order chicken and veggie and salad...
    Rode my bike outside, but the wind was 30 mph, so I only rode 3 miles, to hard to pedal against that wind.
    Natalie