WOMEN AGES 50+ for MAY

Options

Replies

• lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

No one can answer my questions about the droid app? That's surprising.

Michele
    Michele I have an android phone and use apps, I posted an answer somewhere but maybe it was to someone else! What was the question again? :laugh: I'll try not to miss it again as I wade through the many posts!! What an exciting thread this is!

Star I also missed your post and was wondering which book you mentioned? (note to self: must pay more attention)

Kackie I just noticed your new pic - I like it!

To all who are busily writing here - I am trying hard to read all your posts and sometimes I'm failing miserably! I love it, lots of chat about loads of interesting topics!

Luck and love to all
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    GOOD MORNING ALL,:smile:

LINDA,
    THE BOOK IS CALLED THE THIN COMMANDMENTS by Dr. Stephen Gullo. Watch out for the author because there is another book of the same name out there. I used this book while losing over 100 lbs. I felt it really woke me up to so much that I was
    doing for years. I would regain the weight or feel hungry or struggle. When I followed this doctor's advice, things seemed so
    much clearer to me and I stopped making excuses. He said one thing that helped me , since I was an emotional eater and
    still have to stop myself from turning to food for comfort. It was "be sure it is about food not mood." I liked that saying. The second
    half of the book is about his diet. It is good, but I followed my own diet while using his strategies. I think there has to be something there for everyone who struggles to lose weight. You don't have to do or agree with everything he says, but most of
    it is so true.

Healthyandlean,
    Give the book a try, it may help you. If not just keep posting here and read the posts. They will inspire you. Ask questions. Lots of support from everyone. Wish you success, you can do it .

Viv,
    Keeping a food diary seems to be a really hard thing for most people. I don't use mfp for that, I am so used to a kind of shorthand that I made for myself.It takes me just a few minutes to formulate my plan for the day and I know most of the calories by heart. I have to say that those who keep a chart of what they eat, no matter how they do it, have a higher success rate than those who don't. So, try your best to fit it into your schedule.

Wish everyone a happy, productive day. I know there is soooooooo much to read here. I can't keep up, but this is from a magazine and it was so inspiring, I had to share it.

YOUR SOMEONE TO SMILE ABOUT!

IT'S SO EASY FOR US TO FIND FAULT WITH OURSELVES.
    BUT, IF ALL YOU SEE ARE YOUR FLAWS, YOU'RE MISSING
    THE BIG PICTURE THAT YOU ARE SOMEONE TRULY
    SPECIAL. IT'S TIME YOU NOTICED THE LONG LIST OF
    WHAT YOU DO RIGHT. IT'S TIME YOU GAVE YOURSELF
    COMPLIMENTS, TOO. EVERY NICE THING YOU THINK
    ABOUT OTHERS DESCRIBES YOU TOO!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Star
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!:flowerforyou:

Welcome Kelly, I am new too. MFP is the most wonderful tool and site. 21 days in and loving it!:flowerforyou:

MrsAnderson, I was one of the 17% of women with horrendous hot flashes all day long, not really night sweats though, no mood swings, and on the bright side...3 years without a cold or sniffle because a Germ could not live in the heat my body generated. I found nothing helped but TIME. My mom had a flash or two and was done with it. I did NOT take after her. :ohwell: I am finally over them and it took me about 7 yrs from start to finish. I tell everyone I don't wish it on them.

Sally...I live in MA ...we are neighbors. :happy:

Hope everyone has a great day. I have filled my diary this morning with my plan and I'm ready to start the day.

cheers! (with a low sodium V8 juice) LOL
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome back, ladies. Barbiecat, your dedication is an inspiration!

I got in a nice 6 mile bike ride with no discomfort on the weekend, so Monday I went to the gym for a strength workout and a half hour on the treadmill. Yesterday, I rode again for 5 miles. My back seems to be doing fine. I'll get out for a nice walk or ride today.

grabbit97, I'm with you on the 17 Day diet. It works! I'm near the end of cycle 1 and have lost almost 8 pounds. Like you, I took a week off the program [while out of town], but got back on track as soon as I was home and am losing steadily again. I find being on a program really helps me lose, much more so than just trying "to be good".

wehavethestars... "bump" is a simple one word posting to move the thread up to current time when someone doesn't have time or inclination to post a longer message.

mimi7grands, I am "nature girl", and volunteer for educational programs at a preserve. I believe the hawk who swooped down on you and your dog may have a nest nearby. It was probably warning you to keep your distance. I've noticed that mockingbirds, despite their small size, will do the same. These are territorial animals "defending' their turf, or tree, as it were. I doubt the hawk was trying to make a meal of your dog. :wink:

Rhetorical question for the day... Why are healthier foods more expensive than junky calorie laden food? You'd think all the factory processing, handling and packaging would make the prepared items more expensive than fresh unprocessed raw material foods.

I'm sure you all have encountered this phenomenon when shopping at the market or eating out... It's more expensive to assemble the ingredients for a nice chicken dinner with fresh veggies and chicken breasts than to buy a frozen entree bag of mealy chicken with white flour pasta and limp vegs. It costs more to buy a salad [mostly iceberg lettuce] at a fast food joint than a greasy fast food hamburger and french fries. A bowl of supermarket ice cream costs less than a bowl of fresh fruit.

I went to the Greenmarket over the weekend and bought some lovely locally grown produce. It cost more than similar items would at the supermarket, where the produce is shipped in from far away, packaged and handled by many people on the way to the store shelves. Unfortunately, the Green market closes soon for the season... I live in Florida, so our growing season is fall, winter and spring.

I suppose the pricing differences are a result of supply and demand and so forth, but it's really unfortunate that eating healthy often costs more. I can manage the cost, but I resent paying a premium on principal.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was out of town May 1st and then I've been looking for a new job due to my layoff.

Did crappy on my April goals. Hope to do better in May.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Thanks for the warm welcome. I am really excited to be here. :happy:

This morning I was 2.6 pounds lighter than yesterday :smile: ....yep you guessed it, the fluid just flowed from me..haha. Wish it would stay gone, but I know in my heart it wont. :sad: I haven't had to much success since I started, but I am not going to give up. I cant!!!

I tried looking for Michele's post about the droid app (android app), but never found it. Here is my 2¢. I have and use the android app on my phone with no problems. Go to the market and install it, if you haven't already.

The library is hopping today (I am the director for a public library), so unfortunately I can't stay right now, but I will be back!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Good news! DH took a peek in the bluebird box yesterday and there are four cute little blue eggs. :bigsmile: Finally another nest!

Now if we can keep the house sparrows away from them, we may have success. I have looked online to see how far away from buildings boxes need to be in order to be relatively safe from sparrows. No luck so far but I will keep looking. This nest box is 40-50 yards from the house. Anyone know how far away they should be from buildings? I read that hanging weighted fishing line from the sides of the box or stretched on either side if the entrance hole and about 1" distant from the box helps discourage sparrows as well. The bluebirds are not supposed to mind. Keep your fingers crossed for the family. :smile:

I didn't make it to the gym yesterday. :ohwell: I usually make it M-F but I stayed at our son/grandsons place and chatted for a while about scouts, jobs and ROTC. How did my grandson grow up so quickly? It just seemed unreal when he rode up from his after school activities on his street legal dirt bike.:noway: That was the first time I had seen him on the road without his dad. All I could think about was the danger involved - another good reason for the young having kids instead of us seasoned citizens. I often think about how old my parents were when they had me and how stressful it must have been at times for them. Dad was 50 when I was born Mom was a few months shy of 40. It would be nice to be able to say thank you for not smothering me. I have no idea how they managed it!

Time to get busy sanding my project and then hit the gym.

Faye
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options

grabbit97, I'm with you on the 17 Day diet. It works! I'm near the end of cycle 1 and have lost almost 8 pounds. Like you, I took a week off the program [while out of town], but got back on track as soon as I was home and am losing steadily again. I find being on a program really helps me lose, much more so than just trying "to be good".

Yes, this 17 Day Diet is FABULOUS... I am loving it, first time a diet has worked for me in a LONG time...Well, ladies, so far so good, c2 d3 and going strong, feeling good, will bike ride outside later, suppose to warm up a bit. Going to play bridge now, taking my lunch with me. For dinner will have a turkey burger, my new love... and more brocolli, had oatmeal for breakfast with some strawberries.. and coffee..
    Hope all of you have a great Wednesday, and will check back later.
    Natalie
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    I'm a May Birthday girl too! I just celebrated my 50th on Monday - May 2. Please add me to the birthday list!! Grace
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    It’s a beautiful spring day. Can’t wait to get out for a walk. :happy:

Yesterday was a fairly good eating day but I ate way too much fruit. :noway: Funny thing for me to say, I know. I made a big fruit salad in the morning then saved half for later in the day. I could have eaten just the one half (that was a lot of fruit!) and been perfectly happy. The fruit wasn’t as good left over. This morning, I started with strawberries and yogurt. Simple and yum. :smile:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Chiclet. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I hope you have a wonderful day. New place, new guy, and new you! Pretty neat way to start your new year.

Welcome, healthyandlean. Sounds like you have a goal in mind! I started out with over 100 lbs to lose and have just 35 to go. Fruits, veggies (fresh and roasted, delish), and staying away from whites (sugar, flour, etc.) have made the trip a good one. I’m not only losing weight, but loving the flavors, having plenty of food to eat (no starving here), and knowing I’m getting good nutrition. I’m not into deprivation at all and love luxuriating in all the good food. This is a first for me (getting the weight off and, more important, keeping it off). It’s fun to watch the ticker move in the right direction.

Viv, blahs are no fun. What often works for me is 1) getting outdoors (which I know you do); 2) eating lots of wonderful foods – fruit, veggies, etc.; and 3) being kind in the way I talk to myself. I don’t know if that applies to you but, for me, it’s easy to get on a roll of being critical of myself. Consciously turning it around and focusing just (and completely) on the positive pulls me out of a funk.

Star, I liked the message you passed on: IF ALL YOU SEE ARE YOUR FLAWS, YOU'RE MISSING THE BIG PICTURE THAT YOU ARE SOMEONE TRULY SPECIAL. IT'S TIME YOU NOTICED THE LONG LIST OF WHAT YOU DO RIGHT… That’s just what I was trying to say!

Carol, it’s a treat to look at “your” pic. Lizzie has the most beautiful dog’s ear I’ve ever seen! A big congrats on losing 11 lbs in 21 days. That’s amazing! :flowerforyou:

Barbiecat1, I hope you’re right about the hawk. I don’t trust them though. :noway: I heard yet another story about a Chihuahua being taken by one. (My niece’s neighbor had 2 taken.) Izzy’s bigger than a Chihuahua but, even it the hawk couldn’t carry her off, striking her might do her in. Living in the country is wonderful most of the time.

About your rhetorical questions, “Why are healthier foods more expensive than junky calorie laden food?”…take a look at the documentary film (available on Amazon and elsewhere) Food Inc. It’s an eye opener. Some of the crappiest food is subsidized. That makes it cheaper and easier to buy for those who need calories but can’t afford to buy produce of any kind. Of course, the result is poorly nourished, and often fat, bodies. It makes me mad.

MacMadame, last time I read, you were going crazy with the stress of your job. Sounds like they used you and abused you…and then laid you off. Craziness. I hope you find something that allows a sane way of living. Good luck on finding the right new job.

Michele, I too missed your post about the droid app. I have it on my phone and it works like a charm. And I’m far from being a techie. For me, logging my food using the droid app is faster than doing it on the computer…maybe due to our slow network.

Faye, I have fingers crossed for your bluebirds.

I hope you all have a wonderful day/evening.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Grace, just saw your post. Happy belated birthday!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    257724qzzhy39no4.gif

Chiclet I hope your day is filled with wonder.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, chicklet and grace!!!!!!! Hope you both have fabulous days!!!!

It is cold, rainy, windy and miserable here today....so all my work will be done inside....laundry and workout. I do have some errands to run....take the newspapers and other acceptable paper to the recycling center, take my bike to the bike shop to have it checked out and stop at the bank. I have to cash a check so that I have some cash. My bank card had 2 bogus charges put on it this past weekend!!! So the bank put a block on my card, we have to wait until the charges post then they will file fraud charges and reissue me a new bank card. So until then, I have to carry cash...what a PIA!

Not sure what to have for dinner tonight....hopeing for some inspiration soon.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. I just got back (last night) from spending the weekend and my 50th birthday in Nashville with my best friend. I was really worried about turning 50, but it was a GREAT birthday.

I've enjoyed reading all of these posts and getting to know you all on here. I've only been on MFP for about 3 weeks now, and I'm really loving it! I too have downloaded the Android app to my phone and it is SO easy to keep track of everything!! I tell all of my friends about this website.

Now for my confession - I didn't do so well staying under my 1400 calorie goal while I was in Nashville, but I went down there "allowing" myself those 4 days for the big event!! - knowing that when I got home, I would get RIGHT BACK AT IT! I feel good about the time I spent with great friends, and also feel good that I'm not beating myself up or feeling guilty about it.

Today I'm back at work and back on my fitness plan - and doing GREAT! So I just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I really enjoy (trying to) keep up with this thread. Keep up the good work all!

Grace
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Quick pop in, hope to post later this afternoon.

Just wanted to wish Chiclet and Grace a Happy Birthday!!!:drinker:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Chiclet & Grace! I hope this is a happy, healthy year for you both:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Dee: I am so sad about the bluebirds...hope the remaining one makes it! Keep us posted

Cherub: I am so sorry about your bank card. That is a PIA!

New Members: How wonderful to have so many new ladies joining us...I hate to mention names because I will forget one for sure, so welcome all!!!:drinker: Look forward to getting to know you!

I like the sound of the "Thin Commandments". Anything that helps break the cycle of emotional eating is a welcome read...I'll look for it!

It is a beautiful day here...sunny, warm, but not hot...pretty perfect. I have planted 12 of my shrubs...moving 5, so only 13 more to go. I think I am waiting til tomorrow to do the rest. My back and shoulder is "talking" to me!

Take care, dear Ladies! Every post is helpful to me and many others, I am sure. :heart: Kackie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to Grace and Chiclet. Have a wonderful day.
    vicki M

I would like to address the cost of healthy vs not healthy foods. Yes it seems the healthy are more expensive, However I have a theory. I only buy healthy now. I buy nothing like cookies, cakes, white bread, rice etc. So while it seems more expensive I find it is not. I dont spend any more at the grocery than I did before with exception of inflation. I think maybe some of you like my daughter are trying to buy both so it is more expensive. If you no longer buy any of the crap then it really is not that much more. One apple is probably about a dollar or so while a box of cookies is 3 or 4 dollars. you eat the apple you are satisfied, you can eat the entire box of cookies and still not be full or satisfied. also in the long run, your health is better, less medications, less doctor visits, cheaper health and life insurance. It is cheaper in the long run to eat healthy foods than it is to eat junk. ordering in a restaurant tends to be more expensive doing healthy, but there are good choices there also. Just wanted to share my opinion on that for what it is worth. enjoy your day ladies.
    vicki m
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    To Chiclet

966247mn6lidxqrb.gif

I hope this is a fabulous day for you and the beginning of a year filled with hope, health, and happiness.:heart:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi everyone. Wow how the thread has increased in numbers over the past two years. I guess I'm now the newbie. I think i was most sucessful when I took part in this site more often so am aiming to do that again. For all who do remember me HELLO:happy:
    and to the rest Hi I'm Heather. I'll give you a quick rundown so you don't have to go to my profile. 53 need to lose about 80 pds 32 of which I'm losing again:blushing: Live in Northern Ontario with my husband of 21 yrs. 18 yr old son and almost 16yr old daughter, our Sheltie(benson) Golden retreiver- Buddy and fluffy orange cat- Feivel - yes he's named after a cartoon mouse:laugh: .
    i restarted for the zillionth time on May 2 and will do my best to not let life derail my good intentions. My goals are more about how I feel rather than how I look but Hey looking better will be a welcome bonus!

Have a great day.

Heather
    Birthday November 19
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Chicklet and Grace!....

Welcome back Heather...

I'll be back later, just wanted to drop in!