WOMEN AGES 50+ for MAY

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options

What I've discovered is that sugar makes me hungry... white bread, pasta and crackers make me hungry... they don't satisfy and they seem to trigger a desire to eat more, more, more. Once those sugar based processed carbs were out of my system, cravings stopped. Temptations are no longer a physical hunger, just mental... you know what I mean, you see a display of bakery goods and you "think" you'd like to have some, but your stomach isn't growling for them.

I guess some people are just extra sensitive to certain kinds of food and now that I know what triggers me to eat excessively, I'm dealing with breaking old habits. It's a process.

BarbieCat, welcome back......I'm so glad to see you again and sorry that you have been injured again.

What you said about all those simple carbs is true for me.:bigsmile: as long as I stay away from them I am fine and don't crave them and don't have mindless, endless hunger. When I look at foods in the bakery, I never think of a having a piece or a slice, I think of eating the whole package, pan, or loaf, so I stay away completely.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Robin,Happy Anniversary, I want to echo whoever said that you should celebrate all month. A good husband and good marriage are worth celebrating every day :heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou: Mimi, I loved your new profile picture and now I love your many generations picture :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: We are coming to the end of the cleanse day and even with a two hour nap and two warm shirts, I am cold and ready for bed.:yawn: My body will thank me for taking such good care of it.:bigsmile:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Happy May!

I have NOT been doing very well--no logging of food and not much in the way of extra exercise (just what I get at work). I need to get back on track, I know--I just feel so blah lately that it's hard to get and stay on track.

It's a new month and I am making a fresh start.

:flowerforyou: Kathy, you hit the nail on the head I've been all out of sorts again since about Thursday last week and "Blah" is a good way to describe it. I think I'm finally starting to come out of my blah phase and hope you are feeling a bit more like your old self too! Think it's those dratted hormones with me, although I'm sure I'm getting more moody these days and the slightest little thing send me like a crazy woman. I was trying to scan a photograph on Saturday and I couldn't get it to work, so I'm stomping around like a 2 year old in a tantrum :explode: when DH tried it and after altering something he scanned the photo.

:flowerforyou: Robin Happy Anniversary

Have to dash the dogs need walking and they are ready sooner than I thought - well DD is :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Take Care
    Viv xx
  • edmontonukeplayer
    edmontonukeplayer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,

May 1 and in the shaded corners of the yard, I still see small remnants of the previous 5 foot snowbanks. But in the sunnier parts of my yard some brave plants are poking through the ground. Such an unusual May 1, as the yard would usually be at this state of spring "wake up" on April 1. I find myself thinking of grace: is this May 1st spring awakening very gracefully? Or is the correct question: do I need to accept the slow starting spring with more patience and grace??

I will use this slow, gentle start to spring to lead me in setting my goals for May. Goals for May: log my food each day with MFP, eat within calorie limit each day and move gracefully through my day.

Sending out good wishes for a good May for all of you,
    Karlene
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sally, that's great news! You're being good to your body and that's what counts, isn't it? The rest will follow on at it's own pace!
    Good Luck for May :flowerforyou: (this is a bit late, sorry, I'm replying to your April post)
    I'm trying and failing miserably in catching up with all the posts. Getting to read some but no time to reply to all. Please know that I am thinking about you all and logging in daily!
    Mary I loved your May song, isn't it perfect!! I saw some lambs frollicking in the fields when I was out the other day and that was my thought exactly!! Tra! La! It will be in my head all day now!! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
    Have a good day everyone!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Godo morning ladies,
    A great morning for me. I lost nearly 2 pounds while on vacation last week. I was afraid to weigh but happy when I saw the loss. I feel I am on my way again. 4 to go to get below that 200 mark again. this time I NEVER want to see 200 again. Then I turn on the news and see about bin laden. I have very mixed feelings. yes I guess we should be glad that the man that caused so much death and pain is gone but I fear this will lead to more trouble. anyway, kenneth is taking another day off from work and we will get some exercise in today and eat good so another good day. Hope you all have a great MOnday.
    vicki M
  • jberberian
    jberberian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for including me in your responses...you made me feel very important even though I joined only 2 days ago! It's little things like this that are so B I G :happy:
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Happy May! It is good to restart my healthy and whole plan at the beginning of the month. I ate under my calories yesterday but did not exercise even though the weather was great!:blushing: I worked out today in the gym but forgot to weigh in:sad: Anyway, I will weigh in tomorrow before my spin class. Make it a great day everyone!
  • bevbeers
    bevbeers Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    I'm glad that it's
    May and that you are all doing well!!
    I can't believe that I've been on this site for almost three months and haven't really .lost weight. I've really tried but i just haven't been able to stick to it completely I'm not giving up though because i really have no choice!! I hope that summer will make it a little easier. I have lost 3 pounds but i have to really fight to keep it off it comes creeping back so easily but i will keep trying. Happy Spring everyone!!:smile:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Happy May to all. Cold damp day here, they claim it's 41, it feels 32 out there. Just had to drop in and catch the thread. It is so nice to see all the new members jump in, and also lovely to see all our "old" friends.

With hopes for spring, Alice
  • zuback55
    zuback55 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    It sounds like some of you are having troubles and some are doing wonderful. I am in the middle....I have been trying to cut down on my food intake for supper and have done some after supper snacking. I am holding my own....my body seems to like to stay at this weight....I will promise myself to really watch my suppers. I have started logging my supper before I eat and find that it might just trick my brain into saying "that is enough" :huh: I volunteer at a Seniors lodge and they have a whole body vibration trainer that I have been on now about 3 times. I was told that 10 minutes on this is the equivalent of walking 7 miles....I grinned from ear to ear.:bigsmile: I am going to try and do this when I go in to volunteer as they don't seem to mind me using it. I did Google it and it sounds like it sure doesn't hurt anything. Not sure if anyone has heard of this..it was developed by the Russians for the astronauts who were developing blood clots while in space. Check it out if you have time...I watched a few videos of it also.
    The weather here has been up and down...still snow some days and then nice and warm. We have a totally blue sky today and supposed to be fairly warm and just a light wind blowing. Federal elections today, so will be going to vote. Also heard on the news that they got Osama Bin Laden, not sure of the spelling and don't care cause he's GONE!!!! Thank God!!!!
    Well everyone, stay on track, start a new day, smile, and take a look at yourself in the mirror and say "Self, today I am going to do fantastic":flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Cheers to All!!!! :drinker: and Best to you in losing those pounds!!!!!....D :wink:
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I got another 4.1 miles done today - trying to be good as it's my weigh-in day tomorrow :smile: Would have done more but it turned cold and I didn't have a jacket! :ohwell:

Viv, I just saw your post...
    I saw the wedding and thought she was absolutely beautiful, calm and in fact, poised! Did you see the pic in the carriage as they were leaving? She has her head slightly bowed... Lovely photo!! If I find the link I'll post it for you.

Hope you're all doing well and having a great May so far! I intend to keep more up to date with the posts but it really is a challenge, isn't it?
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Well, I finished the first 17 days on the 17 day diet that i am following.... and weighed, and I am down 7.1 for the 17 days... pleased as all get out... so total lost since March 7 (March 7 to April 7 = 1 lb) (April 15 to May 2 = 7.1 lbs) for a grand total of 8.... I will take it!!!
    I am now on cycle 2, which adds some carbs back, like I had oatmeal for breakfast with some fruit..;
    Glad to be here, rode my bike outside for 3 miles, too windy again.
    :)
    Natalie
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hello Ladies

I hope that everyone is enjoying a great weekend.

I don't know why it works, but I've been using MFP for about three months and here are the changes I've notice:

I started losing weight
    I keep a workout routine
    I drink more water
    I sleep harder
    I don't desire as much junk
    I have more energy
    I eat breakfast everyday
    My clothes fit better

All that and I've met some wonderful people along the way.

:flowerforyou: Thanks everyone for sharing your tips and encouragement.

Lorri ...I feel the same way! This site and the iPhone app are life changing.
    I have done may successful dieting programs in the past but always drifted back to old ways. This is so different this time.

I am making all the choices...we are all doing it our own way and it is working for us.
    Just wonderful being here.
    :)
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello Everyone!

Mimi
    Your picture is beautiful. I remember a long time back when you were talking about dyeing your hair brown. So nice to see you with the color now. You are gorgeous!

Robin
    Happy anninversay!
    You are so lucky to have someone in your life that you feel so good to be around. I agree with the others, celebrate everyday.:drinker:

Dee
    No dog to walk at the Dog park? I will let you borrow Boo who is quite chubby and needs the exercise. I'll drop her off.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Well everything that can be packed at this point has been done. The remainder will be done the day before. My son came over on Saturday and helped with the packing and spackling of the holes in the walls from pictures. He said all in all that the move shoudn't take more than 4 or 5 hours max. Much better than the last time. I went from a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, living room, den and, laundry room to a 1 bedroom apartment. ....in the rain. The move lasted the entire weekend. It was horrible.
    I have transferred over all the utilities, given things away to neighbors and am just waiting now. I'm still a little nervous but am looking forward to a nicer place and the pool. The puppies don't understand what al the boxes are for and are a little rattled from the packing but the good news is that Scout hasn't lifted a leg on any of them!:smile:

Speaking of the puppies I need to go and walk them, so I will talk to you all later.
    Chiclet
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    Mary and Barbie, thanks, I added my Birthday under the ticker. Now , please tell me what bump means??

Joan, I use walking sticks too. Back when I was at my highest weight, I got to the point I needed a walker. .I could not believe it!! After losing some of the weight, I was able to toss it into the garage where it has been ever since. Recently I started having hip pain when I went for my walk and found out I have osteoporosis and other bone problems. I started using the sticks because I
    won't give up my walks.:noway: They take the pressure off the hip. I am thankful for them. Welcome and wish you great success.

Natalie, congrats on the loss and finishing the 17 days. Good job, you should be very proud. :flowerforyou:

Vicki, on a vacation and lost two pounds, well that is wonderful.:flowerforyou:

Lorri, what a great list, you are changing so many things, good for you.:smile:

Robin, Happy Anniversary.:heart:

Chiclet, Good luck with the move.

All who did well in April, keep it up. Those who had a hard time, fight a little harder, you can do it.

Star
  • Ldspill
    Ldspill Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date. To time to say hello, goodbye....I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.

Talk soon , save me a spot!

Lynda :tongue:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I hope your Monday was a good one. It was a beautiful day here and being outside felt great. The day just flew by. I did get a good workout in at the gym and I got my water in. I will add “decreasing” the amount of unprocessed food” into my goals. I am thinking anything that is not a whole food would fall into that category--- cereal (even Kashi products,) Garcia tortillas…Joseph’s tortilla wraps, pita etc. I am not going to eliminate them but need to monitor how much I have. I think I need to have mostly whole food.

Linda…thanks for the kind words. I need to keep reminding myself…it can be so easy to slide back into old behaviors.
    Vicki…great loss and on vacation too. I am about where you are and I feel like there is this block in getting below that 200 mark….I just want to get there and I know that I must be setting myself up….
    Natalie…. Great news with the 17 day diet. What great progress you are making!
    Star…. Your dedication to your walks is incredible.

Have a great night,
    Sally
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty good day. The recirculation pump on the pool is broken, so I have missed my last two planned swims. I did go for a walk last night, and hope to make it again tonight.

Barbiecat – I’m glad your cleanse day went well. Good luck on the upper body workouts!
    Landrum46 – Welcome! Come back often!
    Vicki M. – A loss on vacation! I’m impressed!
    Lorri – Sounds like a great list of things to be thankful for!
    Barbiecat1 – Glad to see you back, and hope you continue to mend!
    Cj1234cj23 – I put your birthday on my list. I look forward to hearing more from you.
    Michele – Sorry about the scrubbed launch. I would love to see one!
    Frogmama – Congrats on the loss! Aren’t you glad spring is here?
    Marilyn – Keeping my fingers crossed for your job situation!
    Dunkirk – Welcome! Glad to have a new friend from Down Under!
    Dee – Congrats on meeting your goals. I wish I could take pictures like you do!
    Mrsanderson – Glad your dad is better, and hope he continues to improve. Hang in there, you can get back on track in May!
    Mimi – Speaking of getting back on track, good luck to you too!
    Jeqrosen – Welcome, and come back and tell us what’s going on with you!
    Kathy – Another member of the back on track club. You can do it!
    Sally – I looked at your diary. You didn’t do bad. Just looked like kind of a disorganized sort of eating day. And today is looking pretty good!
    Viv – Happy Un-blah-ness to you! And many more!
    Karlene – Your goals look good. I know you can achieve them!
    Linda – Just got back from my walk thinking Tra La!
    Joan – Good to see you today! How are you doing on your journey?
    Sveltewisher – I am wishing you an awesome weigh in tomorrow!
    Bevbeers – As Barbie says, never never ever give up! You can do this – just come to us for support!
    Alice – I hope spring finds you!
    Zuback – I find that if I prelog my supper, I am less likely to go back for more. Happened again tonight; I wanted more, but had already logged, so stayed away. I like to have a snack in the evening and if I overdo at supper, I can’t, so this works for me.
    Natalie – 8 pounds! Did you see me doing a happy dance for you??
    Carol – Isn’t it great that this lifestyle change we are embracing allows us to do what we need to do, and not follow a strict regimen? What a wonderful freedom!
    Chiclet – I am thinking of your move, and hoping great things for you. Let us know how it goes!
    Star – Bump means “bring up my post.” You can put it in just so a topic shows up on your list, or to bring a thread back to the top of the discussion board. On this thread, usually people use it to mark their spot so they can find us later.
    Lynda - I'm late and when I wave, I lose the time I save. My fuzzy ears and whiskers took me too much time to shave. We’ll save your spot – come back soon!

In the middle of my post, I looked out the window. The sun was shining, the wind was down (somewhat of a rarity here lately), and it was 55 degrees, so I went for my walk. We are quite a sight going down the road: Me with my standard black poodle Suzie Q, followed by my cats, Lucky and Bootsie. Does anyone else have cats that go on walks with them? Suzie and I entertained ourselves by watching a farmer fertilize his freshly plowed field while we walked. All in all, a lovely time was had by all!
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies!!!
    It snowed this morning :sad:
    It's gone now but I am scarred for now. (did I spell that right?)
    Holy Cats day two and three pages!!! I read all of the posts but didn't take notes so I won't be able to reply to everyone. I will do better tomorrow.
    I am happy to say that I did very well on exercising 3 times a week in April. In May my goal is to continue this and maybe even increase the amount. I started April at 160 and am starting May at 151, a 9 pound loss. Certainly a loss I am happy with. I have also started a challenge to lose inches and after a week I have lost Neck .5 inches , Chest .6 Inches, Waist 1.5inches,
    Hip .75 inches, R Thigh .5 inches and L Thigh .25 inches. I am certainly surprised and even though it is hard to believe I will claim it and hope I didn't make any mistakes. :bigsmile:
    I have noticed my tastes are changing, I went to a favorite restaurant on Sunday and I had a bowl of soup That I couldn't eat as it was WAY to salty. I also couldn't eat the green beans even though I had then just a few weeks ago. Same reason, too salty. I am eating and enjoying raw fruits and veggies and if I do have them cooked I eat them steamed. My oven is possessed so I haven't been able to roast them but I will start grilling them if the weather ever strieghtens out.
    My week has been changing hourly and it is still only Monday. I started out with Monday, Tuesday and Thurs off but as of now I am working Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. I was going to help my future MIL pack up her house today and tomorrow and now I can't help either day. Today I had to take DF to the Dr as he nicked his eye on Saturday, He was trimming apple trees and got something in his eye even though he was wearing safety glasses. The Dr thinks that he should be fine but he need to rest the eye for a few more days. However if it isn't better by Wednesday we will have to see a specialist. :cry:
    Hope tomorrow is a bit less hectic.

Barbie - Thanks for keeping us moving foward

Robin - Happy anniversary

Chiclet - I am so excited for you. I feel like I am moving.

Everyone - a big hug and a I toast you all with a big glass of water. Remember as Red Green says " keep your stick on the ice, we are all in this together"
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I appreciate the encouragement. It is nice to read the posts and see all the 50 somethings and more who have lost weight slowly but surely. I use to lose weight so fast, but yes would gain it back just as fast when I stopped dieting. Probably, my biggest problem is getting myself to exercise. I just hate to exercise. When I was younger I loved to exercise. I tend to be an all or nothing type gal. For the last one and half month I've stayed within my point range, drinking most of my water but not all and increasing my exercise. I can't wait to get under the 220's and into the 2teens.