WOMEN AGES 50+ for MAY

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: My copy of The Thin Commandments is on it's way to me from a fellow member of Paperback Book Swap....I can hardly wait to get it :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: hubby has just made pizza (kashi vegetarian pizza with extra provolone, tomatoes, sweet onions, and olives) a bit more calories than my usual meal but I'll go off to the dog park and walk for an hour later and I went to line dance this morning.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, you are so right on about healthy food being more satisfying so we don't have to consume boxes and bags full of junk for extra $$$$$$$ and calories

:flowerforyou: Grace, welcome and Happy Birthday.......this can be your year for great weight loss and health success

:flowerforyou: healthyandlean.......stick with us and soon you will be as healthy and lean as you desire......MFP changed my life one day at a time.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I am so glad to hear from you again......are your teenagers still keeping you busy :laugh: and is it still cold in Northern Ontario :laugh: I hope we'll hear from you often

:flowerforyou: MacMadame, it might be a blessing that you lost that job that was so stressful for you....I wish you the best finding a new one
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. I just got back (last night) from spending the weekend and my 50th birthday in Nashville with my best friend. I was really worried about turning 50, but it was a GREAT birthday.

I've enjoyed reading all of these posts and getting to know you all on here. I've only been on MFP for about 3 weeks now, and I'm really loving it! I too have downloaded the Android app to my phone and it is SO easy to keep track of everything!! I tell all of my friends about this website.

Now for my confession - I didn't do so well staying under my 1400 calorie goal while I was in Nashville, but I went down there "allowing" myself those 4 days for the big event!! - knowing that when I got home, I would get RIGHT BACK AT IT! I feel good about the time I spent with great friends, and also feel good that I'm not beating myself up or feeling guilty about it.

Today I'm back at work and back on my fitness plan - and doing GREAT! So I just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I really enjoy (trying to) keep up with this thread. Keep up the good work all!

Grace

Great attitude Grace and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    Chiclet, you too! Hope you had a good one!
    Michele, one thing I didn't mention about the droid app is that you can't join in with the forum posts from your phone, you need to do it through the computer programme, Hope that's clear?
    Star, I've ordered the book too, didn't think I'd get it here but I did, through Amazon.co.uk. I LOVE anything that sounds scientific and general, like this as I don't like to be told what to do in strict guidelines. Sounds like exactly my cup of tea! Thank you!
    Have a great day everyone and hope I haven't missed any birthdays! I'm sure I have but HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all you birthday girls! Enjoy!
    Barbie, great to see you burning all those cals!! I haven't started my upper body exercises yet but am working on it!
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    I use the android app all the time, to put in my food, exercise and water...
    Very handy when you are away from the computer.
    Natalie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    Welcome back to the thread Heather. So glad you are back with us. I also ordered the book from the swap that Barbie recommended. Thanks Barbie. I am going to love that book swap site. Alread sent one of mine off to someone. Have some more questions for you, but I will message you with them. Hungry so need to go find some supper. talk to you later.
    vicki M
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    Grace belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND CHICLET HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you too.:happy:

Vicki, Your opinion is worth a lot. All on target. So many times people find reasons why it is too expensive to eat healthy. Now maybe eating out could be a problem, I am not sure about that, but buying healthy has not cost me a lot more at all. I wish I
    had the energy to figure out a lot more about healthy eating. Raw milk for example and organic foods ( i do know something
    about organic food) also chickens that are free and fed the right foods. Things like that. I would like to see what my food bill
    would be like if I ate what I really consider totally healthy? Just heard on tv that potato chips have the same toxins as cigarettes.
    Can this be true? I did not hear the whole thing, but will be looking into this. I never bought chips for myself, but when my kids
    were small and asked, I didn't think it was all that bad to let them have a small bag?
    I hope anyone who reads THE THIN COMMANDMENTS,BY DR. STEPHEN GULLO, enjoys it and gets at least one thing out
    of the book.

Mimi, glad you liked the quote. Glad also that you think that way. We all should value ourselves a lot more than we do. Wonderful that you have lost so much weight. You look lovely.:flowerforyou:

Wish I had the stamina to write to more people. Just want to say, keep up the good work and believe in yourself. You can make it happen.

Star
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    The Mexican dominoes last night was a lot of fun. Actually, we were the rowdiest table.....lol

healthyandlean - my suggestion is to journal EVERYTHING (and I do mean everything) here at MFP. Measure, measure, measure. To me, that is what is so very important. You'd be surprised at some things like how little a portion of certain foods is (like spaghetti) and sometimes how many calories are in something you thought was low but really isn't (like sweet potato). Also, this may help you to find what works for you. Like I just can't eat late at night. No matter how many calories I have left for the day, if I eat something late at night, I'll show a gain. But that's just me. Some people can do this.

Viv - I know that I could never in a million years keep in my head what I ate for 2 or 3 days. That's why I jot everything down especially when I can't journal things until a later time.

We're going out to lunch with the Newcomers tomorrow. First, I'm going to the church near there where this lady give crochet lessons. I really need her to look at what I've done to be sure I'm following the directions correctly. Then, I'll probably go to the lunch late. I've already told Vince what to order for me since I want something off the menu and not the buffet. Last time we were there, everything on the buffet was deep fried or swimming in oil/butter. I'm going to get steamed chicken with broccoli, no rice and no sauce. I'm going to get water without ice to drink. I remember from last time that it was a large portion, so if I can't split it with someone, I'll bring 1/2 home.

Barbiecat1 - you ask "why are the healthiest foods more expensive than junky ones". That's a good question. To me, if the government wants to lower obesity and add to its income, highly tax junk foods. It's sad, so many times you'll see someone who is watching their pennies order the lower cost junk food and those people tend to be overweight. To me, if junk food were highly taxed, they'd choose healthy food and we wouldn't have as much of a debt. I remember one time a few years ago when I was coming home from taking care of my dad, I stopped at a McD. The McFlurry was less expensive than the fruit and yogurt parfait! Then they discontinued the large parfait and only started making the $1 size. Bummer. We were just in FL and I bought some oranges. Were they ever good! If I'd had time, I would have gone back and bought more and brought them home.

McMadame - you'll find something real soon, I'm sure of it.

Went to the orgizational meeting for the senior bowling league we're going to join for the summer. On Mon you can bowl for free from 1-3, the league meets on Wed, plus you get 3 free games/week. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself. They will still have $1 bowling on Sun from 10-2. I didn't know it or else I would have brought my ball and shoes but they practiced bowled three games. I did rent shoes and used a house ball. Even with my high handicap, I'm still the worst bowler on the team. I am hoping to get better, tho. Maybe I need a professional to view my form and tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I could work on.

Kelly - when we were in FL and I had to post from my phone, I used the MFP app for the droid. One of the things I couldn't figure out was how to delete a food item. Also, there wasn't a "complete this entry" tab but it looks like I really didn't need it. I also couldn't figure out how to view posts. So I just waited until I got home to read them. The way this bunch posts, I was fortunate that we were only gone a few days, but for the next shuttle launch, Vince anticipates that we'll be down there for a few weeks. What am I going to do, except get further and further behind?

Ladies I need your help/input. One of the ladies that we play bunco with is getting married for the first time. She's 50 and it's her first marriage, same for her hubby-to-be. One of the gals wants to thow her a shower, which I don't have a problem with. However, she wants to do all the cooking (she IS a good cook). She told me last night what the menu will be -- baked ziti, garlic bread, Italian sausage, and salad. I'm trying to stay away from refined carbs and I'm not a real big meat eater. Yet, I don't want to hurt her feelings. But on the other side of the coin, I'm really not looking forward to a dinner of baked ziti, bread, and sausage. She's asked me to come early to help just set up (you know, be sure there's napkins, etc) so I really can't say that I'm sick and can't go. If she hadn't asked for my help, that's probably what I would have done. Now you have to know this about me, I have a very hard time saying "no" when someone asks for help. I know that I could just have a smaller portion and allot myself calories for the baked ziti, etc, but my real fear is that I'll fall back into my carb-craving mode. A while ago I was out of it, then I went to this one lady's house to watch a movie. She'd made Swedish meatballs (I only had one), rice (I only had a little, but it was white rice just the same), rye bread (I only had 1/2 a piece), someone brought a banana pudding (I only had a little), I brought a pineapple/angel food cake and some popcorn. Yet, when I got home, I had these cravings for rye bread, I had to go out and buy a loaf. Well, I had a slice or two, now the cravings are gone. I guess I'm afraid that I'll get those cravings again.

mimi - isn't "Food, Inc" really good? Really got me thinking about my food and how it's grown

Happy birthday chicklet and Grace!

It's gotten colder here - in the 70's versus in the 80's. I totally forgot to bring a pair of socks to change into after exercising (I get so sweaty) today, so I just wore the flip-flops that I wear when I take a shower.

Vicki - I WISH I could buy only healthy food and no crap. Vince likes his crap. So sitting in my pantry next to my (unsalted) pumpkin seeds are his Pop Tarts. But you know something? His crap takes up a lot more space in the pantry than my healthy food. The other day he kept on and on about how low his cholesterol number was. I just said to him "that just means that your cholesterol med is working. Let's compare apples to apples. I'm not taking any chol. lowering med. Where would your number be if you weren't taking it?". He hasn't said a word since then. This, from the uber-logical person!

Hey, Heather. I'm sorry, I don't remember you. Maybe that was before I joined MFP. Welcome back, tho!

OK, Linda just told me that I can't read the posts from my phone. Well, I'll just have to wait until I get to the library or maybe next time we'll get a good signal for an unsecured Internet connection like we did last time.

I have a DVD called "lalofit", it's mostly weights that I'll do tomorrow a.m. and then go to crocheting and then to the lunch. Then, Fri I'll do the stairmaster and there's mahjongg at 10.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening!

Michele
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Here is some interesting news... I took my blood sugar 2 hours after eating, and it was SEVENTY FIVE (75), it has not been that low in years, 15 or so years.... this weight loss has really started working in my favor... wow.... couldn't believe it.. maybe a flook, but who knows... just so excited, had to post.
    Have you tried this laughing cow flavor BASIL: and Mozzerlla? It was yummy... bet it would be good spread on a few crackers or some celery?
    Natalie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • healthyandlean
    Options
    Hello all!! MUCH better day today!!Goal for MAY!! Stick to a plan of walking everyday!! NOT SITTING on the for more than an one hour!! building a workout routine!! TENNIS?walk/ rubber bands
    My husband got a job today after 2 years. Not a great job ,but a job!! NO MEDICAL INSURANCE!! :( But on we go!! NOW I NNED a job
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Morning everyone

:smile: Just a quicky as I'm back at work this morning and need to get myself organised.

:flowerforyou: Just wanted to say that I've read through all the posts and there's some good advice out there (as usual) it's given me something to think about. I'll definitley look out for healthier/organic options and cut down on the crappy stuff. Also I've got myself a little notebook and will jot down/plan my meals then when I can get onto the computer I'll enter acurately instead of a lot of guesswork. :embarassed:

:drinker: Welcome Grace and a belated Happy Birthday to you.

:drinker: Smerwt Happy Birthday to you for tomorrow, just in case I don't get time to post tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: Mimi you sound back on track - Sister Veggie Queen is back!!

Sorry will have to cut this short, just noticed the time so must the doggies walked.

Bye for now
    Viv xx
  • joylaut
    joylaut Posts: 68
    Options
    Hello Everyone. I've missed all of you so I was glad to catch up on posts tonight. I've been really busy with clients and even busier because I am leaving town next week. Off to NJ to visit my mom, turning 88 on the 20th and to visit with family. I am a bit concerned because my family does not eat particularly well and I also don't eat meat. I have been trying to stay away from sugar but Easter got me waaaayy off track. I am also off track because I have not had time to exercise. I get home from work late, go to bed late and get up just in time to eat breakfast, jump in the shower and go off to work again.

I am happy to say that despite the re-awakened sugar cravings (from Easter), I have not overindulged. And despite being off track, I am more or less staying within calories by remaining conscientious about what I am eating.

And for the newbies -- I began mfp last fall and after the holidays I became more conscientious about posting and tracking my food. That, in and of itself was an eye opener. Since Jan I've lost 11 pounds. It is what has kept me motivated to continue being conscientious and wanting to exercise regularly, even when it's hard to fit into the work schedule. So I encourage you to stick with it.

See you all, tomorrow,
    Joy
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Izzy and I enjoyed a great walk today. We walked down (up and down and up and down) to the end of our lane. Beautiful views and beautiful trees. Not too hot so we didn’t broil in the sunny parts. (It did get up over 90 later in the day.)

This was the first time I’d walked down to the end so that felt like an accomplishment. There are just two houses in about a mile’s distance and I’m kind of a chicken. There are mountain lions and bears out there you know! (Actually there are, but I’ve never seen them.)

We saw three pretty birds. Bright yellow, I think on head, tail and a band on wings, the rest was black. I don’t know what they were and couldn’t find them online. They were bigger than goldfinches and smaller than robins. Not yellow-headed blackbirds either. I expect they're migrating through. Seeing them was a treat.

Welcome back, Heather. I love that we can always come back and get back on track.

Vicki, you’re right about a smaller amount of healthy foods costing less than a larger amount of junk food. It also costs us less in another way – medical bills!

Barbie, your pizza sounds delicious, made even more delicious because your DH made it.

Natalie, your blood sugar numbers are the best kind of motivation. You are really doing it. Woo hoo! :flowerforyou:

HealthyAndLean, good news all the way around. :drinker: Good luck in finding a job.

Who watched American Idol tonight? Some of the songs were sung amazingly well. I don’t want to hear Randy say, “He’s in it to win it, folks. In it to win it” one more time! :noway:

I gave Izzy a kennel cough vaccine tonight. It’s the nasal inhaler type. Just $5 at the feed store vs five times that much at the vet. It's a good vaccine to give a dog that’s going to be around a lot of other dogs, at a dog park, etc. If we find a playmate for her, who knows what that dog will have been exposed to. And...I hope we get more time in at the dog park too. My new hat, “vet.”

BTW, you won’t see any veggies in my diary today. It was another one of those funny days where I wasn’t home in the afternoon to fix them. I did, however, get a pedicure!
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    Michele,

You are so right about keeping a journal. Also, I never realized how many calories were in pasta. I have switched to whole wheat and limit it to 1 and 1/2 cups. It' s my favorite thing.
    My way of handling eating with friends when there is not much on the menu for me is to eat only what I want and can have without messing myself up. In this case the salad with my own dressing would be it for me. People look at you and ask why and then tell you not to "deprive" yourself . Then they try to get you to have just a little, which can't work for me at all. You are a wonderful helpful person and that type of person has a hard time saying no to things. However, we have to learn to put ourselves first sometimes. Just say "NO" with a smile and a thank you . Before you know it, people get so used to how you eat they stop bothering you. Some can just not understand cravings and how they start. If I ran into someone pushy, I told them the only deprivation is depriving myself of my own good health and happiness. In the beginning I felt like an odd person , but down the line I felt proud of myself and so in control of my own destiny.

Healthyandlean,
    Good luck finding a job. I know how hard that can be. A wonderful friend of mine with many health problems (in her fifties) was cheated on and left by her husband of 30 years. He lost his job shortly after the divorce and she was left without health insurance. It took her close to a year to find a job with insurance. During that time, she had it very, very hard. I wish you the best.

It has been about two weeks and I have lost two pounds. I am thrilled, but lately have done this and regained it. My true goal is to keep every pound I lose off. I absolutely don't want to find them ever again. MFP has been a blessing. It keeps me grounded and on track. When I lost my weight I was able to do a lot more exercise and it helped mentally and with the calories too. I just have to remind myself to keep going and even if it is very slow, I will get there. I went out and bought a nice pair of white jeans that are just a very tiny bit tight. I hung them in plain sight and hope to feel comfortable in them by August.
    I am in Florida but still go according to New York where I never wore white after labor day. So, I can enjoy those pants for a little while and then next year.

Do one good thing for yourself today. Make it just for you. Even if it is a meditation . Take those fifteen minutes to think about how blessed you are and where you want to be by next month. Or just relax and empty all your cares and troubles, doubts and fears from your mind . See yourself in a beautiful place and find peace of mind. :flowerforyou:

Star
  • Debma1010
    Debma1010 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hello All,

I just glanced through this thread and would also like to join. I am 53, as of today, have two grown children, one boy who is still in college junior at Stonehill and a girl who recently graduated from Bridgewater State College. I don't have much time to post but just wanted to claim a spot for now if that's okay.

I am going upstairs to my gym and working out, I got inspired by reading these message boards. I joined an online trainer site a couple of months ago, I did lose about 5 pounds there and then my daughter showed me MFP and it looked great. It is easier logging in food and workouts than the one I was paying for so I canceled my other plan and joined here. I've lost a total of 10 pounds over past two months and hope to keep going. I joined a challenge and hope to lose 6 more this month, that would be great.

Have a great day......

Debbie
    Birthday 5/5/58
  • vickim26
    Options
    Good morning Debbie,
    Welcome and Happy birthday to you. this is a great site and you will love it. Just read and post when you can. You are doing great already. Keep up the good work.
    Vicki M
  • vickim26
    Options
    Good morning Michelle,
    Maybe you can go early to help and explain to her that you are really trying to eat healthy and the food she is serving does not agree with you. maybe you can bring a side dish that goes along and eat that along with the salad. I really dont have that problem cause I just order or eat what I want. I guess the people around me are either with me on this or they are so busy eating themselves that they dont pay attention to what I eat. I hope it works out for you I know how those cravings can be. As for vince make him buy his own crap. LOL.
    Vicki M
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

Just marking my spot. Have been so busy I just haven't taken the time to log on.

Have a new book "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst. If you are interested you can go to Amazon.com to look it up and see inside.
    I'm liking it already.

Hope you all have a good day.

Cindy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    welcome Debbie and Happy Birthday.

this group of women is the best n the world.

I am sorry that I haven't been very wordy lately(posting) Just not enough time. I hope you all have a wonderful day.
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for you words of wisdom about the "17 Day Diet". I bought the book yesterday. I will start the diet next week even though the 1st cycle looks like very "diety.":frown:
    Also, thank you for talking about the Thin Commandments and the "book swap site" which I will research and find either on the site or at the library. :bigsmile:
    And a special thank you to explaining that the droid app does not allow you to read forum posts...I thought it was my lack of techy skills:laugh:
    I am on target with my exercise and food plan since Sunday. Did eat my exercise points one night because I mindlessly munched on dry roasted peanuts in front of the TV even after I brushed my teeth!:grumble: ...My new trick is to brush my teeth after dinner which usually helps me not to snack afterward...
    Make it a great healthy day!! Happy Birthday to the May babies!!:drinker:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    gbirthday4.gif

To Chicklet, Grace and smwert! (I think that's all the birthday's this week!)