What the Primal/Paleo lifestyle is about ... and not:

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Since you people don't seem to put forth the slightest effort to get a balanced view of this, I'll just leave this link here. I imagine you won't read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet#Opposing_views

I don't care about opposing views..........I am doing what is best for ME and my FAMILY!!!

But this is what your link has to say:
    One line of evidence used to support the Stone Age diet is the decline in human health and body mass that occurred with the adoption of agriculture, at the end of the Paleolithic era.[21][114] Associated with the introduction of domesticated and processed plant foods, such as cereal grains, in the human diet, there was, in many areas, a general decrease in body stature and dentition size, and an increase in caries rates. There was also an associated general decline in health in some areas

Yep, that is really opposing the way I already think. It actually supports everything I have read and learned so far.

Wow, that's staggering. You don't care to learn, obviously.

Also, correlation != causation.

I am continuosly learning..........

What do I need to learn???

That eating grains causing me to have IBS, joint and muscle pain (falsely told I had both arthritis and fibromyalgia), accepting that I would eventually end up on dialysis and insulin shots.

Also, dairy causes me to have sinus infections and excess mucus that I don't want my body to make and bad allergies.

I have learned far more by taking out the foods that cause me grief, thanks but no thanks.

You go ahead and stick to your Standard American Diet (S.A.D. - and it is truly sad) while I am well on my way to optimum health and well being and living medication free............

After all, that is what works for you. I will stick with what works for me.

Why assume I follow a "S.A.D."?

If you are eating cereal grains or other grains, sugar in any amount, dairy, etc that is the Standard American Diet.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Hey, you are eating very similar to how we eat already..........Some people do better on higher fat (I know I do) and some others a bit lower........

play around with things and figure your body out. Upping the fat will keep you from overeating as it does with most of us!!! Just make sure the fats are natural from meats, dairy, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and such......

I really should try even more fat but 90% of the meat I eat is chicken breast so it is max 2g fat. I do have some salmon in my freezer, I should get on that. With nuts and such they always seem to be = or almost w/ carbs so it's kind of an in/out food or a no-no entirely if you are avoiding most carbs.

I have coconut milk, low fat of course so perhaps I should switch that out and try some of it in my cereal. Any idea how long I can keep this in the fridge after opening a can?

I've moved back to 1% milk from skim so that's also a nice little baby step.

I am not sure about the canned coconut milk. I buy mine in a half gallon carton in the dairy section of the store. Sooo Delicious is the name brand and it is Sooooooo Delicious!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Also without looking at what you eat, JohnnyNull, but reading back through your post history, I'm not in much disagreement with you about many of your other viewpoints. Instead of lumping us into one cult following - do realize many respond to Paleo / Primal threads but are not blind devotees of Sisson, DeVany, Cordain, etc...

I see you also are trying gluten free eating...? Just my two cents, but I'm guessing your diet is not drastically different from many here unless you're carbo-loading on gluten free grains.

So please inform me, whom do you follow? And if this was such a science, why is there such disagreement in the Paleo camp?

I'll throw something absolutely ridiculous out there... I don't blindly follow any Paleo source. Sure, I read them, but maybe like you, I agree that blindly following a single source without understanding or researching opposing viewpoints is not a good idea. However, my God, does Mark's Daily Apple put out some fantastic recipes...

I eat a lowered carbohydrate diet. I don't eat gluten. I lift heavy things up and put them down. I do intervals and sprints here and there. Sometimes I even get crazy and go outside and run 5 miles.

I eat rice and potatoes when I need to carb up.

Not really following any fads there. Unless avoiding junk and processed starches is a fad. Then, oops, guilty.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I see you also are trying gluten free eating...? Just my two cents, but I'm guessing your diet is not drastically different from many here unless you're carbo-loading on gluten free grains.

No, no I am not. As a matter of fact, I had a PB&J yesterday on nice, fluffy whole-grain bread.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Since you people don't seem to put forth the slightest effort to get a balanced view of this, I'll just leave this link here. I imagine you won't read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet#Opposing_views

I'm going to be nice and balanced in my response, although you basically just called me out as a whackjob who hasn't put forth the slightest bit of effort into understanding anything regarding evolution and diet.

Opposing views...good reading but does not equate to "God's Honest to Goodness Truth, the end all be all viewpoint" - addresses the grain issue, leaves me skeptical on the consumption of animal protein sources considering a number of the "sources cited" point back to Vegsource links. Gotta love that unintentional Wiki bias, right?

And on another thing - no one is truly eating a Paleolithic diet here. There are elements of Neolithic foods to some degree. I'm not a full opponent of eating grains, but avoid gluten-containing grains. And honestly is a gluten-containing grain a necessity in one's diet? No. If you want to go stomp out a forum, how bout heading over to one advocating the daily consumption of Ho-ho's... (like, in moderation, of course!)

My thoughts, exactly.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Also without looking at what you eat, JohnnyNull, but reading back through your post history, I'm not in much disagreement with you about many of your other viewpoints. Instead of lumping us into one cult following - do realize many respond to Paleo / Primal threads but are not blind devotees of Sisson, DeVany, Cordain, etc...

So please inform me, whom do you follow? And if this was such a science, why is there such disagreement in the Paleo camp?

I'll throw something absolutely ridiculous out there... I don't blindly follow any Paleo source. Sure, I read them, but maybe like you, I agree that blindly following a single source without understanding or researching opposing viewpoints is not a good idea. However, my God, does Mark's Daily Apple put out some fantastic recipes...

I eat a lowered carbohydrate diet. I don't eat gluten. I lift heavy things up and put them down. I do intervals and sprints here and there. Sometimes I even get crazy and go outside and run 5 miles.

Not really following any fads there. Unless avoiding junk and processed starches is a fad. Then, oops, guilty.

Then why align yourself under the Paleo camp?
  • Barneystinson
    Options

They're (for the most part) also eating a lower carbohydrate lifestyle and they encourage women to lift heavy. There are a lot of striking similarities between low carb and Paleo eating, save for maybe the exclusion of grains in the Paleo diet. Agree with it or not, it's a good support group for low carbers.

I also have a boyfriend who is lactose intolerant. I think I mentioned it before - paleo communities are a wonderful source of recipes for me.

Not sure if I'm defending the Paleo diet, per se, but I will valiantly defend my consumption of animal products.
  • Grokette
    Options

No, no I am not. As a matter of fact, I had a PB&J yesterday on nice, fluffy whole-grain bread.

What type of whole grain bread??? Most breads are made with gluten containing grains.
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I feel good - mentally, emotionally, and physically... isn't that enough "evidence" for ME? Indeed, it is.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I feel good - mentally, emotionally, and physically... isn't that enough "evidence" for ME? Indeed, it is.

That is all that matters.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Why the hostility towards the Paleo camp?
  • Barneystinson
    Options

It must be our keto breath. :laugh:
  • Grokette
    Options

It must be our keto breath. :laugh:

You guys crack me up..........
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    thanks for the info, have been considering the lifestyle but still unsure if it's the right one for me
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    :laugh: keto breathe :laugh:

Wheelie - all I can say is - give it a good old try for least 2 weeks preferably 3 weeks. See how your body reacts. If it is right for you, you will know by the signs your body gives you.

There is even a Whole 30 challenge (google it) that gives indepth explainations.

You are welcome to join us in the Paleo group here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232749-palelo-support-group?page=15#posts-3227986 and also on No Grain No Pain group here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226494-no-grain-no-pain?page=20#posts-3227957

And also read more on Mark's Daily Apple (google it) ... :happy:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Primal. I just started a little over a week ago. I lost about 10lbs by calorie restriction (about 7 of those were from calorie restriction. Upping my calories let me eat more and I still lost more weight.) My carbs were already about 140-150 and I had to make sure I got my fruits and veggies so the grains and starches are the ones that were mostly cut out.

I spent so much time enforcing the "carbs are your body's primary source of energy. We need carbs" thing - especially on MFP. But I still had questions. "What if we take away those carbs? The body will want to burn protein from muscles. But what if we are getting enough protein?...???? That's where it stopped - It didn't make sense that the body will start burning fat...until I started researching low carb and came across Marks Daily Apple. I started reading and it was like the flood gates opened in my head and all my questions and confusion cleared up. He answered my questions.

I started it off with a 26 hour fast and dropped back down to my lowest weight at 120.4 (all my fluctuations makes it stay above my true weight). I had a little light-headedness but not the shakes I got 2 hours after a high carb breakfast. NO SHAKES AT ALL! By the end of the first week I had broke 120. I am now 119.2!! MY FLUCTUATIONS ARE COMPLETELY GONE.

My tummy is the smallest it has been. Having IBS I had to deal with all kinds of bloating, gas, cramping, constipation, etc. I also have a hiatal hernia. I don't feel that anymore. That spot is soft now and not bubbly or gurgly or painful like it used to be. And this is after only 11 days (and this past weekend I had to eat something that were starches and carbs - I had no choice at the time).

I'm still having trouble getting enough calories but am still new and still have to get to the grocery store. But I am loving it!!!

My calories are increasing on a daily basis. 3 weeks primal and my scale read 115.8 this morning. Now I have to up the calories again to try an maintain - I'm dropping fat like crazy!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Welcome Hpsnickers1 to the Primal family! Glad to have you! I've been applying the principles to my family about 1,5-2m it gets easier and does wonders for your life all around!
    Lost 10lbs in one week? WOW amazing!

I just saw this. No 10lb in a week. I lost 10lbs since November. But the number kept going up and down and was stuck at 120.4. The first week I dropped under 120. (Of course now I'm 3 weeks in have dropped about 4lb)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Why the **** is it a "camp" in the first place? It's a nutrition lifestyle, and like any other it has its pros, cons, supporters, and detractors. Sheesh, get off the high horse already, JN.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Why the **** is it a "camp" in the first place? It's a nutrition lifestyle, and like any other it has its pros, cons, supporters, and detractors. Sheesh, get off the high horse already, JN.

The same reason Vegetarians and Vegans have one ...
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    This is interesting. It helps clear acne? How so? I always thought high protein diets created inflammation in the body. What about lean muscle tissue? You know when folks are on a low fat diet they have a tendency to lose lean muscle mass. Because this 'lifestyle' change is high in protein I am assuming that this won't happen.