Bump
  • missxena
    missxena Posts: 70
    Options
    thanks good information :happy:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    bump and I vote for sticky! I've only been here for three weeks and never seem to hear enough about starvation mode, blablabla.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Monsherri
    Monsherri Posts: 69
    Options
    I was wondering about this!! Glad I found your article FIRST....very clear. And it makes sense!!
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    Thanks for putting good info all in one place.

Certain friends are constantly below on their calories by a little up to half, and while I don't think they have eating disorder issues I do hope they see your post.

I know I don't always eat back all my exercise calories but at this point I've still got plenty of fat to lose and am not in danger of starvation mode.
  • TheEnd10
    TheEnd10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome information....thanks!!
  • scaryfairy81
    Options
    Thanks for this! It makes so much sense and not as alarmist as some of the posts I've read on starvation mode. I've been told sooo many times on here NEVER eat less than 1200 calories or I'll go into starvation mode, etc etc, but I am just over 5'0" and on a non-workout day, I know I don't need that many. My maintenance amount isn't much higher than 1200 so if I consistantly go over that, I'm just going to gain. People use the "1200" as a magic catch-all number, but for a woman who is very petite(short and small build) I don't need as many calories as the average sized person!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and appreciation - hope it can help with understanding this topic. :flowerforyou:
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It's as simple as this

Metabolism burns body-fat.
    Starvation Mode drops Metabolism.
    .:frown:
    Don't go into Starvation Mode!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    It's as simple as this

Metabolism burns body-fat.
    Starvation Mode drops Metabolism.
    .:frown:
    Don't go into Starvation Mode!

Yep. Slow metabolism is no fun at all.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    bumping for the EST morning crowd
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This has been the best and most responsible definition I have seen!! I can buy all of this. I was having trouble with the advise people gives to everyone who doesn't lose for a week or 2. Eat more! Or the ones that warns someone that because they missed one meal they will go into starvation mode.

Awesome job!!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Good info.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    :drinker:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I wanted to add a note here to remember that even if you aren't at risk of starvation mode, you still need to make sure to meet your daily requirements for macros and micros. Food isn't just energy, it's vital nutrients that need to be replenished every day. And no, daily multivitamin doesn't do it. :tongue:
  • nicole751
    nicole751 Posts: 26
    Options
    bump!!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump