ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump...to give an alternate viewpoint....backed up by science.... :grumble:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Bump...to give an alternate viewpoint....backed up by science.... :grumble:

I agree completely.

Some of the irresponsibility from individuals that otherwise seem to be basically intelligent people is absolutely deplorable. Putting others health at risk for your quacky 'theories' is unacceptable =(.

Cris
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Quick Question- Anyone know how long it takes your body to get out of starvation mode and begin metabolizing faster again? Just curious.. TNX!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Quick Question- Anyone know how long it takes your body to get out of starvation mode and begin metabolizing faster again? Just curious.. TNX!

Depends on how long it's been abused, somewhat. But most people, who increase intake gradually to a healthy level, will begin to see progress in appetite, lean mass retention, and weight loss within a month or two. Many people see a temporary gain in weight, but this is normal and once the body adjusts to the higher intake, they will start to lose again.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Weekend bump :smile:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    Thanks for adding in the “why are anorexics skinny then?” part as I was just going to ask that. Starvation mode simply becomes starvation, thanks.
    I have always questioned why anorexics lose weight when they dont eat enough thanks for clearing this up,makes perfect sense!
  • spirited_angel
    Options

Depends on how long it's been abused, somewhat. But most people, who increase intake gradually to a healthy level, will begin to see progress in appetite, lean mass retention, and weight loss within a month or two. Many people see a temporary gain in weight, but this is normal and once the body adjusts to the higher intake, they will start to lose again.
    This is what happened to me,i was working out so much but never ever eatting any of my exercise calories and had already lost all my weight but then i started to either gain a lil bit or stand still.My intructor got worred about em n asked me to write everything donw i ate and how much i slept and worked out and i was in major stavation mode!!I started to up my calories and the first 2-3 weeks i gained weight but i perseverd and eventually i started lose it again!I dont eat all my exercise calories back tho but do aim for 80% of them most times!I also think ya body decides where it needs to be,i lost over 12st and got down to 9st 2lb but not only was my doctor not happy neither was my body.And no matter what i did i put weight back on im now settled at 10st 7lb i workout 5 days a week for up to 3 n half hours a time!I do a lot of strength training too and my doctor is happy with me!!Ya would think i would be too..........Nope!!I feel fat!!So just remember there is a very fine line and i crossed it and am now obsessed!I hate having to eat my exercise calories and didnt understand none of the science behind it but thanks to this post i do a little bit now!!It wont help me cos its too late ya have to learn to love yaself i guess,and years of being overweight leaves its toll!!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks for the great post - this will be really useful to link to some of my pals!
  • ktaylorj
    ktaylorj Posts: 6
    Options
    If you're Resting Metabolic Rate is well below normal (told it was from years of dieting and skipping meals), is there any way to fix it/increase it back to normal levels?
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    If you're Resting Metabolic Rate is well below normal (told it was from years of dieting and skipping meals), is there any way to fix it/increase it back to normal levels?

Sure - I could write it out, but there's a pretty good explanation in this post (taken from Tom Venuto). The part about how to fix it is toward the end. He basically discusses how to avoid starvation mode and then says do the same things to fix it, but add an adjustment period. Essentially, you want to gradually increase cals, and keep a more moderate deficit than you might otherwise. Good luck with it. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/208407-how-to-repair-a-damaged-metabolism-stavation-mode?page=1#posts-2752820
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bumping! Thanks Lady :)
  • janetsuewagner
    Options
    bump
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think that "starvation mode" is thrown around a little too quickly when a person has reached a plateau.
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    "I'm assuming you are trying to live longer, but for me personally I want to be able to eat as much as possible and be ripped. I love food and I love being strong. Will I live to be 100? maybe not, but I also might get hit by a bus tomorrow. So I am going to enjoy it while I can."

AMEN to that! :)
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bump for the future: Nicely put!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm fat, so I can't go into starvation mode?

Hello new diet tricks.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I'm fat, so I can't go into starvation mode?

Hello new diet tricks.

Not necessarily. And there are other concerns. Might want to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Well said.