Starvation Mode: How It Works

Options

Replies

• AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    This totally makes sense! Just a question..

so I have a 21% BF and have MFP set at 1 lb a week, which gets me to 1200 cals a day (my bmr is about 1380). For a while I would go below between 1050 - 1150, because I just wouldn't get hungry. One day I had 1900 calories in one day! The next day I had about 1250 calories and lost 2 lbs. I figured you might understand this better but what happened there?! any idea?!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    This totally makes sense! Just a question..

so I have a 21% BF and have MFP set at 1 lb a week, which gets me to 1200 cals a day (my bmr is about 1380). For a while I would go below between 1050 - 1150, because I just wouldn't get hungry. One day I had 1900 calories in one day! The next day I had about 1250 calories and lost 2 lbs. I figured you might understand this better but what happened there?! any idea?!

Could be a number of things...you may have just had water retention and then unloaded it. But could also be a reaction to FUEL! lol

At 21%BF, your body really cannot withstand that kind of deficit. The less fat stores you have, the less "available" the fat is (ie it's harder for the body to access it quickly in reaction to a need for fuel due to exertion, etc). So you need a much more conservative deficit to keep the energy balance. If you don't have enough intake, your body won't be willing to access the fat - it will use more readily available sources (lean mass like muscle) and simply try to reduce energy expenditure (decrease metabolism and fatigue, etc).

So, when you do feed it, you'll likely see better results in overall weight loss, and definitely in body composition. I'd highly recommend going to at least 1/2 lb per week loss goal, or even maintenance, lots of strength training to maintain or even increase muscle.

At that high of a deficit, you'll likely start running into the body starting to maintain body fat - so you may lose weight, but it won't be fat.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Hmm looks like I may need to up my cals..
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump

Thanks for the info.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    bump.gif
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Very informational, thanks for posting : ). I knew most of this, but the detail was much more of interest to me. XD
  • fairbanksmommy
    fairbanksmommy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a general question....Not directly relating to me, but something I can pass on to my 16 year old ex step daughter. What if one eats in their calorie range one day, then eats nothing the next, and so on? So every other day, they eat absolutely nothing?? What does that do to your body weight wise as well as long term?
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I have a general question....Not directly relating to me, but something I can pass on to my 16 year old ex step daughter. What if one eats in their calorie range one day, then eats nothing the next, and so on? So every other day, they eat absolutely nothing?? What does that do to your body weight wise as well as long term?

Depends on how much fat stores the person has, but generally, unless they're obese, they'll start to have metabolic issues - slower metabolism and loss of muscle mass. So weight loss will be slower, and there may be weight gain when they start to eat more normally - but that's generally temporary.

Also depends on what you mean by "in their calorie range" - for weight loss or for maintenance? If you're eating at maintenance one day, fasting the next, you're probably at a level of starvation mode (metabolic changes and loss of muscle mass). If you eat at a deficit for weight loss (say 500 cal deficit per day), then fast for a day, etc, you're essentially going to be at a starvation level for intake (beyond starvation mode). Obviously, the 2nd scenario is worse, but either way there will be metabolic damage.

But actually the issue that would be more of concern in that situation is malnutrition - the lack of macros (protein/fat/carbs) and micros (vitamins/minerals). Particularly for a 16 yr old, because they're still growing. Things like a lack of fat - the brain needs fat to develop properly. Or calcium - the bones need calcium. And a lot of the micros are something that HAVE to be replenished daily. So fasting for a day consistently (one day won't be a problem, but a prolonged pattern would be), especially at that age, could cause some permanent developmental problems.

That kind of pattern is also a very slippery slope - it can easily lead to an eating disorder (which is no fun, I've been there).

Does that answer your question?

(Please remember, I'm not an expert or medical professional - particularly about metabolic issues in children/teens. If she's engaging in those behaviors, I'd have the doc talk to her about the potential consequences.)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    bump- don't want to lose this out of my topics.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump!!! :heart:
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    always good info :D
  • pandatan
    Options
    This is very interesting and has answerd aot of questions, thanks it all makes sence now.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump