Did jogging/running really make a difference (toning your bo

Options
124»

Replies

• Jdigaetano
    Jdigaetano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Started with Couch to 5k and was completely nonathletic and obese. Since then I learned to journal and relearned how to eat and continued running. Two and a half years later I'm 100 lbs lighter, consider myself a long distance endurance athlete, and am a vegetarian.

Couch to 5k started me on a path that reshaped my life, inside and out, without changing the core of who I am. I look a lot like I did when I was 17 (except I have less hair.)
  • Jdigaetano
    Jdigaetano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I want to run. But i just think i look so stupid. Its all in my head. But i can not stop it. What can i do to change this. . My son runs alot. I want him and i to run this summer ..

I used to be amazingly self-conscious about being seen running. I ran indoors only on a treadmill where nobody could see me for a good six months before I braved the outdoors. Once I did though... I haven't touched my treadmill in two years!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The "running vs strength training debate" is starting to annoy me. They're not mutually exclusive. You may have to spend time "focusing" or "prefering" one over the other. But you can always switch it up.

To answer the original question. I dropped an original 30 doing C25K, and another 30 training for a Half Marathon.
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    Most any sort of heavy activity will result in more tone, weight loss, etc. I like to run. BUT

RUNNING IS NOT THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO TONE.

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

(I feel like I've started preaching here but I'm serious)

Thanks for sharing! I definitely agree that its important to do interval training and PUSH yourself. However, building up a great cardio-vascular system is necessary to support such intervals as well. I think a balance is important - in food, in exercise, in life.