Sugar = Poison

Options

Replies

• jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think today is the first day my sugar is lower than what is allowed by MFP.
    Will keep at it and post back my progress (or lack thereof) in 3 weeks.

Showed this to a few folks at work and seems everyone has the same reaction.
    Its like a light bulb goes off in your head.. like wow he is onto something...

:drinker:
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The simple answer here is that anything processed we eat is bad, including sugars. If you eat natural sugars they are not as bad for you. My basic concept is if I cannot pronounce the ingredients I do not put it in my mouth. (I know I can pronounce HFCS but I leave that out too)

our bodies really can't distinguish between natural and processed sugars. the fructose from HFCS is processed the same way as the fructose from a banana.

A glass of orange juice is just as high fructose as a glass of softdrink
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    The simple answer here is that anything processed we eat is bad, including sugars. If you eat natural sugars they are not as bad for you. My basic concept is if I cannot pronounce the ingredients I do not put it in my mouth. (I know I can pronounce HFCS but I leave that out too)

our bodies really can't distinguish between natural and processed sugars. the fructose from HFCS is processed the same way as the fructose from a banana.

... almost. maybe the fructose itself is, yes, but the sugar in the banana comes with fiber and the processed food typically does not. that's what this guy was talking about in the lecture. did you watch it? (not being sarcastic, just asking).

k
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am still not going to cut down on fruit. I really think that is missing the point massively.
    You don't see fat fruitarians, do you?
  • 963Nitro
    963Nitro Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    that was a great vid, watched the whole thing. It's really going to change my eating and drinking style. If you do watch the whole thing he doesn't make a point to stop eating fruits even if they contain natural sugar. He is saying that even though they have the same amount of sugar, it's not HFCS so it isn't as likely to be stored as fat.

PLUS regardless of sugar content in fruit, they have tons of fiber? remember his cave man part where they would get hundreds of grams of fiber a day compared to our 15? and that if we ate everything natural out of the ground it would potentially fix our type 2 diabetes problem?

not a sermon, just a thought!
    again great vid!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I watched just over 40 minutes of this video. I see the people posting here about fruit being bad. Well he didn't say that. He said fructose is bad, but when he was talking it was all about the added fructose, not an apple or an orange. It was the added fructose in burgers, processed foods, fast foods etc .Okay he did mention fruit juice when referencing a study in harlem. I'm pretty sure he wasn't sayign that we should ban fruit from our diets rather we should ban anything that has had fructose added to it.
  • lodro
    Options

... almost. maybe the fructose itself is, yes, but the sugar in the banana comes with fiber and the processed food typically does not. that's what this guy was talking about in the lecture. did you watch it? (not being sarcastic, just asking).

k

Yes, actually, a month ago I posted a topic on this same video.

That being said, I don't think anyone is saying "you shouldn't eat any fruits". But it is perhaps good to remember that the access we have to fruit in our part of the world is unprecedented. That someone can eat any fruit, out of season, numerous times a day is a very recent thing. At least in Europe it is. So, strawberries in season, apples in season, a banana as a very rare treat, some oranges in winter. That was it. I don't think people should eat no fruit, I'm only saying that one can overeat on fruit, and that at the end of the day the sugar contained in it is fructose. If you heighten your glycemic load (related to quantities consumed) it will land you in the same place.

I once met someone who ate incredibly healthy: fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, everything organic, but she was obese, wanted to lose, but lost nothing. Turned out, every morning she ate a huge fruitsalad with lots of grapes and bananas and some honey, and drank a large glass of orange juice. Then as an afternoon snack she did the same, and then ate "regular", albeit very healthy meals. At the end of the day it is about portions and calories, and then fruit is just another food. And I do agree with a previous poster: if I want fiber and vitamins, vegetables are a better option, <emphasis> for me </emphasis>

But then, I do eat tomatoes a lot ;)
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    bump
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    That being said, I don't think anyone is saying "you shouldn't eat any fruits". But it is perhaps good to remember that the access we have to fruit in our part of the world is unprecedented. That someone can eat any fruit, out of season, numerous times a day is a very recent thing. At least in Europe it is. So, strawberries in season, apples in season, a banana as a very rare treat, some oranges in winter. That was it. I don't think people should eat no fruit, I'm only saying that one can overeat on fruit, and that at the end of the day the sugar contained in it is fructose. If you heighten your glycemic load (related to quantities consumed) it will land you in the same place.

I once met someone who ate incredibly healthy: fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, everything organic, but she was obese, wanted to lose, but lost nothing. Turned out, every morning she ate a huge fruitsalad with lots of grapes and bananas and some honey, and drank a large glass of orange juice. Then as an afternoon snack she did the same, and then ate "regular", albeit very healthy meals. At the end of the day it is about portions and calories, and then fruit is just another food. And I do agree with a previous poster: if I want fiber and vitamins, vegetables are a better option, <emphasis> for me </emphasis>

i eat only seasonal foods (except for my frozen booty from the summer). My only point is that many popular vegetables also have fructose in them. eaten out of season, in large quantities, is still a bad idea, even though it's not fruit.

and tomatoes are a fruit, btw :) and i never bother with grocery store tomatoes, mine are so much more delicious, even frozen.

i'll be the first to champion eating seasonally and sans barcode, though i'm not a "put your title here" dieter... i eat whole foods because that's what i prefer. my body wants it in the season it wants it, not because it's available. in the spring, i crave spinach. in the summer, i crave luscious watery tomatoes. in the fall, i look forward to soups and stews made from delicious, hardy squash. and like kale is always ready to grow, i'm always ready for kale. .
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lodro
    Options

i eat only seasonal foods (except for my frozen booty from the summer). My only point is that many popular vegetables also have fructose in them. eaten out of season, in large quantities, is still a bad idea, even though it's not fruit.

and tomatoes are a fruit, btw :) and i never bother with grocery store tomatoes, mine are so much more delicious, even frozen.

i'll be the first to champion eating seasonally and sans barcode, though i'm not a "put your title here" dieter... i eat whole foods because that's what i prefer. my body wants it in the season it wants it, not because it's available. in the spring, i crave spinach. in the summer, i crave luscious watery tomatoes. in the fall, i look forward to soups and stews made from delicious, hardy squash. and like kale is always ready to grow, i'm always ready for kale. .

yes, i know tomatoes are fruit, hence the wink. and yes kale! hmmmm
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a strong opinion about the sugar in fruit but put a Peanut butter Cup or Muffin recipe on the blog and everyone loves it?

lol yes I noticed that too :)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bettyboop573
    Options

Well, if you look at it from that angle, why was the "fruit" on the forbidden tree? Maybe God was trying to tell us way back then that it is poisonous................

I don't believe in Everything in Moderation. There are many things the human body does not need in moderation.

facepalm.jpg

hahah funny :)
  • lodro
    Options
    I find the facepalm uncalled for, frankly, and not funny at all. Well into the middle ages cultivated fruit varieties were seen as something not entirely right, witness the huge number of medieval sagas and fairy tales that have people come to harm under grafted trees. The motif of the danger of grafted trees is found all over in European folklore. "Ympe Trees" are demon trees!. in "Sir Orfeo", the king of the underworld fetches Eurydice while she is sleeping under a grafted tree:

"Loke, dame, that tow be
    to-morwe her vnder this ympe-tre,
    and than thou schalt with ous go
    and liue with ous euermo...."

;) of course
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I find the facepalm uncalled for, frankly, and not funny at all. Well into the middle ages cultivated fruit varieties were seen as something not entirely right, witness the huge number of medieval sagas and fairy tales that have people come to harm under grafted trees. The motif of the danger of grafted trees is found all over in European folklore. "Ympe Trees" are demon trees!. in "Sir Orfeo", the king of the underworld fetches Eurydice while she is sleeping under a grafted tree:

"Loke, dame, that tow be
    to-morwe her vnder this ympe-tre,
    and than thou schalt with ous go
    and liue with ous euermo...."

;) of course

I found it uncalled for also and the reason I didn't post any more in this forum. People don't realize that there is a reason fruit is considered poison in a lot of cultures.

Westerners are mostly the only culture to say that fruit is a necessity when in reality it is not. There are no nutrients in fruits that can't be found in vegetables. And in most cases, the veggies are way higher in those nutrients too.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a strong opinion about the sugar in fruit but put a Peanut butter Cup or Muffin recipe on the blog and everyone loves it?

lol yes I noticed that too :)

Not me, you will not find me saying I love any such things. I no longer eat peanuts or peanut butter as they are legumes and I won't eat muffins anymore either unless I make them and they will be made with either almond or coconut flour.
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    my apologies...didnt really think before i spoke....typed
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    thank you for posting this