I'm a hypocrite

Options

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your family isn't being supportive, but good for you for taking the negative energy and putting it to good use, rather than just letting the negativity cause you to fall of the wagon. Keep up the good work!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Silly family -- they don't get it. Your attitude is GREAT. Keep going. :)
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Nope. You are not a hypocrite. Congratulations on taking charge of YOUR OWN LIFE. Sounds like your family might be feeling a tad threatened by the changes in your life. Keep on doing what you are doing and remember, if someone is interested in how you are losing weight and living a more healthy life, they will ask you. Otherwise, keep on doing what you are doing. Good on ya!
  • BradNC
    BradNC Posts: 51
    Options
    From time to time, I think most of us experience this. Those people have been beat down by life in most cases, and have found it's easier to give up than to work hard. Keep up the positive attitude - awesome progress so far!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    There you go prove them wrong. They are obvisously envious of you! :flowerforyou:
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making a better lifestyle for yourself by losing weight and definitely by quitting smoking. Neither of them have been easy for you I am sure. I know it is easier said then done, but do not listen to the negativity. For some reason seems like the people that care about us the most are the ones to sometimes kick us the most when they should be celebrating our successes.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    That is horrible. But you have such a great way of thinking. You will get very far.
  • AuntRedRobi
    AuntRedRobi Posts: 14
    Options
    Congrats on quiting smoking, weight loss and continued focus!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    No you are awesome! Look at the positive changes you've made. Sometimes it's hard for families to be happy for one of their own, because it means they have to be responsible for themselves or at the very least look at themselves. A very scary prospect fo many. If you preached and still did all those things you would be a hypocrite. Don't let them get you down. You have to draw boundaries on what you will acccept from them if you want to be free of their negativity. At first it will be all your fault and they wil blame you, but if you nicely remind them you would appreciate negative comments to be kept to themselves, they'll eventually change. good luck, if you need support friends me and my wife (hootsmamma) have experienced this type of family interaction and it is changing for the better by holding a boundary and not engaging the negativity. good luck
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the supporting words everyone !!

Just pisses me off cause I want to celebrate the successes and cant.

Thanks again folks !!
  • ibelieveinlove7
    ibelieveinlove7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Shame on your family for being so un-supportive!! I feel your pain though - when I had lost twenty pounds through diet and exercise all my mom said was "you should try harder" like she expected me to be skinny right away. Anyway, it's hard to kick bad habits and you should be proud of yourself for doing so!
  • BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Why can't this be viewed as a positive experience? You're learning look at what you're saying to yourself right now... that you have to restrict what you feel because of the neg feedback? DON'T THINK THIS WAY!!!! It's damaging and we tend to dwell on it... pick yourself up and learn from the whole experience. Your family doesn't have to live in your body! You like what you're doing do it with or without their approval. You want their approval of this lifestyle change but you don't have to have it to be happy.

references... ?
    *I was the kid on the playground who got picked on for being poor, fat, and ugly.***

don't be hard on yourself forgive them for not understanding... and keep up the good work I wish I could do more myself...
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Jealousy Sucks!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I just posted about a wedding I went to yesterday and all I did was talk about this stupid site. I think the people at the table were affraid to eat their dinners. I have to learn to keep my mouth shut and if they ask how I lost weight I'm going to tell them I'm just eating right. I'll keep the rest to myself.
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    First off, awesome job with quitting smoking. Second, 15 pounds lost is AMAZING! That is so awesome! Third, I find it very inspiring that you would turn your hurt and anger into positive motivation!

Most people really have a negative response when others try and better themselves. Could be a lack of willpower, motivation, or desire, who knows. They want to knock you back down to their level. We've all heard the phrase, "misery loves company." Well, if they aren't happy with themselves, they are going to try and bring everyone else down to their level.

Next time they say you're too thin or too scrawny or too whatever, HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH and say "I actually LOVE the way I look."

:)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I got up this morning and rode 9 miles on my bike, ate my oatmeal, and entered my info into MFP.
    I will be converting their bad energy into motivation. From now on when anyone asks how I am doing it I will just say I am eating better. I will never ever again share the details of what I have learned and how much this web site has helped.

I'll show them and the world that i can do this !!

Confratulations on not letting them throw you off your plan! A lot of people react negatively to someone else making positive changes because it highlights to them the failures in their own lives that they don't want to admit to or are too lazy to do something about. So, to make themselves feel good, they put people who are doing well making changes down. After all, if people can genuinely change and improve their lives, what excuse do they have for continuing to fail in their own lives? They have no one but themselves to blame, and most people will avoid that at all costs - far easier to to blame other people, society, etc... or just adopt an 'it's not possible to improve myself' attitude.

But, I wouldn't stop sharing how you are succeeding = there are people out there who really do want to know, and who may be ready to make changes in their own life (or who may be in that prep stage where they gather info but aren't quite ready to do anything about it yet).

Keep up the good work!
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm sorry, that is really unfortunate. I am sure the motivation behind their comments is jealousy. Having a family with weight issues myself, when I am doing healthy things for myself, there have been times when it seems like they are trying to sabbotage me. Just stay strong....you are ding this for YOU and no one else.

Hang in there girl!
  • crazypenrod1508
    crazypenrod1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I am repeating because I only read your post, but the most common reason for the negative feedback is because of jealousy. They also want to change something in their life, but they don't have the drive and motivation to do it.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sucks to hear, but sometimes our own family is not as supportive as we would like. I can tell you from my own, one of them is my dear husband. :grumble:

Keep going, love yourself and where you've gotten to. You will inspire many!
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went out with my family.
    They noticed I lost weight, and aside from my brother everyone had only negative things to say.

1: I am too skinny now
    2: I am scrawny on top
    3: I am trying to push my new "fad dieting" onto them
    - because I was telling them I am trying to eliminate sugar as much as possible because of the info I have learned over the past few months.
    4: I am a hypocrite
    - because I used to smoke and eat bad and now I am excited about eating better and losing weight and getting into shape.
    5: It's not going to last

I was hurt, felt like the kid in the school yard who got picked on again.

I had to share because i have it all bottled up inside and cant say anything to anyone because I might begin my uncontrollable preaching again.

I got up this morning and rode 9 miles on my bike, ate my oatmeal, and entered my info into MFP.
    I will be converting their bad energy into motivation. From now on when anyone asks how I am doing it I will just say I am eating better. I will never ever again share the details of what I have learned and how much this web site has helped.

I'll show them and the world that i can do this !!

This happens a LOT!

I've had it happen to me, and some of the most ripped and fit people I know have had it happen to them. When people change their lifestyles, you often hear things like:

"I think you;re becoming obsessed with working out"

"How come I never see you eat?"

"Are you taking steroids?" - in reference to protein shakes

This happens because:

1. People are ignorant about what health and fitness implies
    2. People are insecure about their own lifestyles, and rather than face their problems, try to bring down those around them
    3. People don't seem to associate health food, as "real" food

It happens. Ignore the critics, and let your results speak for themselves.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!