• dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article about the subject

http://teamripped.com/the-naysayers
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has said it well, but I just wanted to add another voice of support and encouragement. When people are not happy with themselves and you start to make positive changes, they just want to pull you back down so they don't have to confront that they are not doing what they should be while you are. You are the exact opposite of a hypocrite--you are walking your talk, you quit smoking, and you are healing your body with your own actions daily. Fantastic. I am proud of you!
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's terrible that they don't support you. But it's amazing that you aren't letting them get to you. I try to use people's negativity as more motivation for me. You can do it, prove them wrong. Don't let them define what your capable of.
  • voyageruk
    voyageruk Posts: 11
    Options
    Perhaps you need to rethink which family members you spend time with.

If a member of my family reacted like that to any aspect of my personal life and made me feel bad about myself, they would be put in their place on the spot and warned if they continue they will have no further contact with me.

You may not be able to choose your family, but you certainly can choose which of them you speak to.

I have been in similar situations myself, I found being stern was the only way to handle it.

Just my personal opinion.

Well done on your success so far and I wish you the best!
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    there just jealouse be proud of what you have done.. Let them grovel over being fat out of shape.. hold your head up high and enjoy your life... No one and I mean no one can take that away from you..
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    1. SKINNY FEELS GREAT !
    2. GO BUY A BOMB SHELL BRA
    AT VICTORIAS
    3. BE A "Q-TIP" QUIT TAKING IT PERSONLY
    4. WHAT THEY SAY HAS MORE TO SAY ABOUT
    THEM, THEN IT SAYS ABOUT YOU
    5.MFP IS TERRIFIC AND I LIKE TO SHARE WITH
    EVERYONE WHETHER THEY WANT TO HEAR
    ABOUT IT OR NOT.
    6. MFP HAS BEEN LIFE CHANGING FOR ME AND
    IT SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS CHANGED FOR YOU TOO.
    7. DONT GIVE UP ON YOUR FAMILY WAIT UNTIL ASKED
    ABOUT LIFESTYLE CHANGE AND SHARE FREELY.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Almost every day there is a post like this - lack of support and negativity from family members. So sad that the people who are supposed to love us the most do this to us. Just keep it up, and come here for support!
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The next time you see them, hand them a dictionary so they can learn the meaning of hypocrite. Unless your dropping packets of sugar in your water while taking a hit off a cig all the while telling them the dangers of sugars and smoking then you are NOT a hypocrite. You are doing awesome, keep doing what you're doing!!
  • wilyz
    wilyz Posts: 37
    Options
    Fukem
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    Well when they have you around longer, they will be happy you did all that REALLY HARD WORK! Maybe they are just jealous that you have such will power and ambition? Congratulations, you really should feel very proud of yourself.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Id just smile and say, what exercise did you do today / eat bad today / bla bla? Feel smug that u look good!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I know the feeling - my roommate keeps telling me that eating half of what I've eaten all year isn't good for me. I should go back to 12oz of steak every night instead of my 4-6oz now, I shouldn't weigh my food, blah, blah, blah.

I shouldn't workout more than 60 min a day because I haven't worked out in a while (that she's seen - I ride a horse 4times a week!). Blah blah blah. Its all background noise.

MY LIFE. MY JOURNEY. Support me, or leave me alone!

Keep up your journey - you are doing GREAT!
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    They are SUPER jealous and hate themselves a lot.
  • Hannastyrbjorn
    Options
    So sorry to hear that! People are idiots sometimes. My mom had a hard time accepting me weighing everything in the beginning. That was 2 years ago and now she is my biggest fan. Don't let them get to you - you are stronger than that. I quit smoking a few days ago (again) but this time I hope it'll last.

Think about how much you've accomplished so far and how proud I hope you feel of yourself. It takes lot of courage to take this journey and many people quit because it is too hard. I know the people who said those things to you will sooner or later stand by your side. cheering you on!
  • AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    one word for their feelings = jealously

you are doing something they probably couldnt
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    j e a l o u s y
  • Andra01
    Andra01 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    jealousy.... lol !

Don't worry about that it's a great thing that you stopped smoking and you eat well :) keep it up and don't listen other's critiques!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hypocrites say one thing and do another...you were doing something and now you have changed. Sounds like you have evn admitted that you are making different choices based on new learned info...hmmm...sounds more educated ...not being hypocritical....

Family can be so frustrating as they don't always know how to support...especially when it makes them take a close look at themselves in the mirror...and reflection can be very painful....this is their fail...not yours

Keep it up...you are educated and doing well
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had my last cigarette on Feb. 3, 2011 and since then I have been changing everything. Some of my friends and family are my biggest cheerleaders and others are my biggest haters. Either way, it is up to the individual. So keep doing this for you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's hard when family clings to who you WERE as opposed to appreciating and getting to know who you are NOW.

And while I sympathize, people do need to be a bit careful about sounding preachy. Talking about how you've cut down on sugar b/c of what you've read may come across to others as you think their choices are bad. I know you don't intend it that way, but sugar is not necessarily bad for everyone. I tend to wait for people to ask me questions about how I've lost weight. And I try to keep it brief unless they ask more questions. And I try to phrase it in a way that this way of life works for me. That everyone is different and what might work for some won't work for others. For example, I'm on a low carb diet. Lots of people have negative opinions about this diet. But it really works for me. I feel fantastic on it. But my husband tried it, and it really didn't work for him, made him feel miserable, break out, etc. So it's not for everyone. I try to be careful not to imply that this diet would work for everyone.

But overall, those negative comments usually come from people who are jealous deep down. Try not to let it discourage you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!