What do you consider YOUR perfect size?

Options

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's interesting: The average height of USA women are about 5'4"-5'5" and the average size is 14. It is kinda amusing to Me that MANY women have such Unrealistic weight and size goals that Many will surely not achieve, or if they achieve - will not maintain. Those goals are a set up to be unhappy, and there goes the vicious cycle>>>Running after that Airbrushed, hyper made-up, surgically altered, half starved actress/model/celebrity OR someone you were 10/15/20/25 years ago. Just saying...

But remember over 60% of the US population is overweight. So the average size 14 at 5'4 woman would reflect an overweight population, this size would not be the "ideal" or even healthy size.

Dress size Does NOT determine how HEALTHY a person is. It's "crazy" to say that someone who wears a size X is HEALTHY; I know a LOT of women who wear size 10/8 who have "Brittle bones," Diabetes, Terrible Arthritis, Back problems, had/have cancers...

What I am saying is We need to stop trying to put a square peg into a round hole and be who we are. Remember "dress size" is an Artificial Fabrication (frankly, the BETTER/more expensive the fabric the smaller the clothes size or even certain Brands will run "large or small.") Anyway for someone to have a "dress" size for a goal is ridiculous.

EXCELLENT/GOOD Health and Attractiveness/Confidence does NOT come in a Certain "dress size." I am saying that an artificial goal like dress size (NOT taking all other factors into consideration) could set a person up for failure, thus starting the yo-yo cycle.

AGREE! My sister is 5'10 and barely 120 lbs. and I am more healthier being overweight for she eats processed, fast food, greesy, no veggies or fruits type of diet. She has great motabalism, but I bet inside the body she is not healthy, and she agrees with me. I can even out run her and have more energy.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 3" and would like to be a comfortable US size 4 jeans :bigsmile: (not a squeezing or stretchy size 4). That was my size when I got married almost 10 yrs ago in September. I think I have a small frame (bigger at the bottom).
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Dress size Does NOT determine how HEALTHY a person is. It's "crazy" to say that someone who wears a size X is HEALTHY; I know a LOT of women who wear size 10/8 who have "Brittle bones," Diabetes, Terrible Arthritis, Back problems, had/have cancers...

What I am saying is We need to stop trying to put a square peg into a round hole and be who we are. Remember "dress size" is an Artificial Fabrication (frankly, the BETTER/more expensive the fabric the smaller the clothes size or even certain Brands will run "large or small.") Anyway for someone to have a "dress" size for a goal is ridiculous.

EXCELLENT/GOOD Health and Attractiveness/Confidence does NOT come in a Certain "dress size." I am saying that an artificial goal like dress size (NOT taking all other factors into consideration) could set a person up for failure, thus starting the yo-yo cycle.

No, actually, it's not ridiculous. While there's some variation in size amongst manufacturers, there is still an industry-wide standard for clothing sizes. And I know what size I feel best as. I frankly think it's more ridiculous to aim for a round number as a goal weight. If I'm in a certain size, then that's a 10- to 20-pound goal range, which is a pretty healthy goal to have.

If you don't want to pick a perfect size for yourself, don't. Start a thread about how dress sizes are the devil.
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How many sizes bigger/smaller is an American size compared to a UK size? x

1-2x bigger.

So a size 6 in Canada is = 8-10 UK.

I know this is what clothes companies say, but it's actually more like 2-3 sizes. When I am a 10 (at 22-27) I am a US 5 in most brands, 6 in some. I would say a 6 is a large 10. Nowhere near a UK 8. A US size zero is a UK 6, which is the smallest size there is here.

UK sizes start from a size 4 not a 6. A UK size 4 is a US size 0.

I didn't know that US sizes went up in single figures. Like in the UK it's 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc... But I've seen alot of posts mentioning odd numbers like 3, 7 etc...

But generally I think a UK size 4 for example is a UK size 8 x
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's interesting: The average height of USA women are about 5'4"-5'5" and the average size is 14. It is kinda amusing to Me that MANY women have such Unrealistic weight and size goals that Many will surely not achieve, or if they achieve - will not maintain. Those goals are a set up to be unhappy, and there goes the vicious cycle>>>Running after that Airbrushed, hyper made-up, surgically altered, half starved actress/model/celebrity OR someone you were 10/15/20/25 years ago. Just saying...

But remember over 60% of the US population is overweight. So the average size 14 at 5'4 woman would reflect an overweight population, this size would not be the "ideal" or even healthy size.

I think it's important to fit into a certain dress size. I look at that rather than my weight. I aim to fit into my UK size 10-12 jeans and trousers.

I think if you have a healthy BMI then there's no problem. But there's no way a US size 14 (UK size 18) is anywhere near healthy. In England a 16-18 is classed as obese.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    5'4 and 125. Size 4-6
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

I didn't know that US sizes went up in single figures. Like in the UK it's 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc... But I've seen alot of posts mentioning odd numbers like 3, 7 etc...

The odd numbers are from the "juniors" department. It's where the teenagers shop. They're cut for people with smaller hips.

The even numbers are in the "misses" department. It's where women shop. They're cut for people with wider hips.

So, someone who can wear an 8 in misses might not be able to wear a 9 in juniors, even though it's technically a larger size, because their hips are too wide.

Anything over a 14 is plus-size.
  • marsts
    marsts Posts: 85
    Options
    my perfect size i think... id like to be a size 7. maybe a 6. in canadian sized.. not sure if thats the same as in the uk . i think size 7 is perfect, not tooo too skinny - or impossible - and not overly big either.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think the perfect size should be a weight that is easy to maintain without having to starve myself or feel like I am on a continual diet. I am looking forward to living my life at maintenance without all the drama of dieting. I have found that if I stay low carb and avoid all the sugar and processed crap I do not feel deprived or like I am even dieting. Who can feel deprived while eating like this???? I love this way of eating/life. It is effortless!
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    US Juniors size 2
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I agree with you!!! I do not wanna be in the norm if that means being a size 14!!!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3"
    I started @ 226lbs and size 20US
    I am now 131lbs at size 6US
    I would like to be 112 and a 2-4US
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    No idea, never been there. Smallest I've been in my adult life was a (somewhat tight) sz. 12, which still included a body I wouldn't wear to the beach... *shrug* I'll find my 'perfect size' on the way down, I suppose. :)
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    In UK Sizess

I have fluctuated drastically over the years between a size 8 and a size 22, and I can say I wasn't healthy at either end of the scale. At my largest was immediately after having a babies. I tend to overeat when pregnant. Then after my 2nd child, I lost 7 stone (98lbs) in just 5/6 months and became unhealthy for the opposite reasons.

I'm 5'8 and currently just got into a 14. I'm aiming for a 12 at smallest as this is when I know I'm healthy. And my husband has begged me not to lose my curves and who am I to argue? hehe
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    How many sizes bigger/smaller is an American size compared to a UK size? x

1-2x bigger.

So a size 6 in Canada is = 8-10 UK.

I know this is what clothes companies say, but it's actually more like 2-3 sizes. When I am a 10 (at 22-27) I am a US 5 in most brands, 6 in some. I would say a 6 is a large 10. Nowhere near a UK 8. A US size zero is a UK 6, which is the smallest size there is here.

UK sizes start from a size 4 not a 6. A UK size 4 is a US size 0.

But generally I think a UK size 4 for example is a UK size 8 x

Are you in the UK? Have you ever actually seen a size 4? I have lived here all my life and not ever, not once seen a size 4 anything for sale. Ever.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 6 and i think i look best around a UK 8/10 - US 4/6
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK? Have you ever actually seen a size 4? I have lived here all my life and not ever, not once seen a size 4 anything for sale. Ever.
    TK Maxx. Asda. They exist.
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    US 10 would be wonderful for me. I'm 5'7.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i am happy when i'm in a size 4 or size 2 (US)... i'm 5'7", btw. but sizes are so weird from store to store :P i never know what i am gonna wear until i actually try it on!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I am now a size 4-6 pants...and waist size jeans I am 26... @ 125 lbs.

took me 5 months to achieve this - started at 162 lbs. ( Dec 6 2010 )

:laugh: :love: :flowerforyou: