40+ Club: Summer Slimmers

Options

Replies

• pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM too and love it - don't remember the model but it's a Polar one with chest strap. My only thing is to remember to update my information (weight) and do the fit test periodically to let it adjust for changes - otherwise no accuracy concerns. I found, even when first starting, I have ended up working much harder with the HRM than without! Especially as I've been increasing the intensity of workouts.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    pverbarg...I also have a Polar. I could get up and check on the number but I won't.:laugh: I, unfortunately have not had to update my information (weight). I wish I could say that I have. A HRM does tend to make you aware of how hard you are working out.

:flowerforyou: zebras..just out of curiousity. How do you know that the HRM was not counting calories burned? I am now worried as this is how I keep track of the calories my exercising burns.

I was going to the YMCA to use the weight machines but my husband left to pick strawberries and I stayed home. He says that the peas are not doing well this year. They are what I have been looking forward to. The strawberries are so sweet at this time.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Swiss:

When I got it, I used it while working out on a Precor elliptical machine that can test the hear rate in my condo gym. So it was calculating the heart rate within one or two beats of the elliptical, so I knew that worked. What happened was it calculated calories burned as a very high number compared to what the elliptical machine was calculating, and everyone says elliptical machines calculate way too high. So, I contacted Timex to complain, and they took my data and ran it though their formula, and said it was calculating based on their specifications. So, you said you have a Polar one so I have only heard good things about those.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

haven't had much time to post lately. Haven't even had time to read - hope to get caught up some later on. Will bring the ipad to bed and read thru the posts.. have been getting home late in the evenings and have a bunch of stuff to do, including having my dinner.

Swiss - you are a treasure. Love how you continue to post and encourage us all.:smile:

I've done very well with my eating and exercising this week.Sure hope I see a loss this week. I am trying so hard to lose these extra pounds. Was so discouraged the other night. Was packing to go away this weekend, and trying on my summer clothes. They "fit" but are all much tighter than they were last summer. :sad:

I was supposed to run Grandma's marathon this Saturday in Duluth, MN but because of my injury, was unable to train. In fact have only started back running. However, I am still going, as my daughter-in-law is running it, so will go to cheer her on. She really wanted to run this marathon with her mom and mother-in-law and unfortunately, both moms have had to back out due to injuries and health reasons. Guess we will have to plan to do another together in the near future. :happy:

Well, I still have stuff to do before bed. Have a B&B guest tonight, so it will be an early morning for me prepping for breakfast.

G'night all.:flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Just wanted to drop in and say Hey! Stilling doing well with exercise and up and down with food and hydration. The scale has finally started moving down about 4 lbs.

My runs are getting stronger. Big celebration is yesterday I had my medi-port removed. Yeah! Of course, that will interfer with exercise for the next week or so until stitches heal.

Texas! Enjoy the river aerobics - I'm always jealous of those
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Duffy good to see you!!!!! Glad to hear you are doing so well!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Swiss, just keep on trucking!!!!! You are doing great, forget the past!! :flowerforyou:

Again not much time to post :grumble: doing well, feeling a little tired though...Have a great day!!! :drinker:
  • zebras
    Options
    Good to see you Duffyz. Sounds like you are doing very well!

No work out yesterday, and had that dinner out, but ordered a sandwich that came with a salad and didn't need mayo, and no apps or deserts in sight!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Good Morning

Swiss- I wear a polar FT7...I Love it.

Tuesday my husband decided that our pond was too small and needed to be repaired. Humn....six hour later of digging in PA mud and rock; we have and secod section of the pond. This was not in our summer work plans. Yet.......Now we have another 18 plus hours of work to do. Hard physical work:) and expensive! So.... before father's day. I will be in the mud so to speak.

I want to thank everyone in this group for motivating me to stay focused and accountable. This has been a hard year for me with my loss'. Thank you for your support and keep up the awesme work! Together we will be Healthy, Emotionally, physically and spiritually!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I can not believe how sweet the strawberries are this year. They taste like they have sugar on them but they don't, they were fresh picked last night. I sliced some and put them on a sandwich of almond butter.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Found you!!!! Will try to write a longer post later this evening. Been wicked busy with work and family so MFP kind of fell by the wayside, but I am BACK!!! :happy: Just posting right now to save the topic to my topics and be able to find you all again much easier.

More to come later!!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: cardigirl...I hate it when a thread gets lost.:laugh: Good idea to do a small post to placemark it. Be sure to come back and let us know how you have been.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! TGIF!!!!

Check in day again. My eating has been a bit better this week, although I have a long way to go to clean eating. My exercise has been very good, with strength training almost daily. But I was able to hike up the mountain every day and still take an evening walk with my wife after she got home from teaching. I can see a little improvement in how my clothes are fitting, so that's always a plus for me!

Sorry, ladies, but I will be AWOL most of next week. I am leaving on Sunday afternoon to attend a conference for work and I won't be home until Wednesday evening. I am on vacation on Thursday & Friday. On Thursday we are going to Philly to hear (&see) the Mormon Tab. Choir. Not quite sure what's happening on Friday...something fun, I hope. On Sat. 6/25 the old guy turns a year older (57). I really ok with that, seeing what my contemporaries look like at that age. Currently i still have my hair, teeth and sanity! ( well, two out of three ain't bad....).

I will try to check in, but please don't worry too much!!! I'll be back soon!

Have a great weekend!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Hey sing...you have a great time !!!! Will be looking forward to hearing from you later. In case I don't see you here on the 25th..have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.:happy:

I really slipped up this morning and had a mocha frappe. So more than half my daily calories are already used up. I quess I will really have to work hard to burn them today. Wow, who knew that frappes had so many. Well, I am sure that many here knew this. I learned my lesson.
  • zebras
    Options
    Wow, Swiss, thanks for the calorie check on that Mocha Frappe, hard to imagine someone invented a beverage that's more calories than a meal should be!

Well I'm happy dancing again for check in day. 2.8 lbs down this week. Got 1/2 hour walk in at lunch yesterday, and 90 minutes at the gym at night. Rainy Rainy day today, so I will have to rely solely on the gym today for working out.

Cardi, good to see you around again, please write again and tells us how it goes.

Sing, Happy Early Birthday!
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone good to see all the posts. Took me 20 minutes just to read them all! It's been a rough week for me. Husband has been out of town working so I've been working full time at our hospital and holding down the fort here at home with the excellent help of your Nanny. But I'm exhausted. Still haven't been able to shake the cough from my cold from about 2 weeks ago. It is really annoying. Was able to get in one good swim training this week for my triathalon. Did 1/2 mile in 20 minutes with one rest. The swim is only 1/4 of a mile so think I'll do fine.....my only goal is to finish and not have to wave my swim cap for someone to come rescue me!:blushing: I think I'm going to have to rent a wetsuit for this swim. It is in a resevior and with all the rain and run off I don't think the water temp is going to be as high as it usually is. I'm quite concerned about wearing a wetsuit. I mean it's hard enough to get out in a bathing suit but at least mine is fairly flattering. What's flattering about a skin tight suit that shows every roll of fat?! :laugh: And how in the heck do you get in one anyway! Yikes! Speaking of getting into things, I had a great milestone this week. I am able to fit comfortably into my size 12 most very favorite old GAP jeans! Woo Hoo and as an extra bonus the day I did it was the first day of TOM so it totally rocked! Have a great weekend everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!!! Sorry didnt post yesterday. This has been a very busy week!! And the next one is not any better. I found a Jillian Michaels DVD called Shred it with weights. She uses a kettlebell but a handweight can be used as well. I am not sure if I want to purchase a kettlebell at this time for this workout. It is good but not strenous and only 25 mins. I did it 3x this wk and on alternate days I did Ab Ripper X. I had forgotten how hard it is. :laugh: "I hate it but I love it" :tongue: And of course I taught Zumba 4x this week. My eating was pretty good. I did eat some cake at work and had some drinks last night at a birthday party but I dont feel bad cause I dont do that often. No big plans this weekend, my husband likes to stay home and BBQ on Sundays so that is what we are doing. I also have to work on some Zumba choreography this weekend so that will be my workout.

Sing, have a great time!!!! Happy 25th birthday!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: And Happy Father's Day as well!!!

Swiss, I keep thinking about that almond butter/strawberry sandwich, sounds yummy!!! How do you like the Zumba DVDs? Speaking of Zumba, I am going to the convention again!! Jul 6-Jul 11 I cant wait!!!

Zebras, congrats on your weightloss!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Cardi, come back!!!! :flowerforyou: And speaking of missing persons, has anyone heard from Stiring and Tron? Havent heard from them in a while.

Crewel, when is your triathlon? How exciting! A wetsuit is actually flattering because it is so tight it smoothes you out. I just dont know how people get out of them so quickly to continue on the competition. :noway: :laugh: Keep us posted!

So this is it from me. Happy Father's Day to all the husbands who are dads and the fathers of the members of this thread. My daddy is in Puerto Rico :ohwell: but I am happy that my older sister flew there last night to spend it with him and my mom this year. :flowerforyou:
  • DiazD01
    DiazD01 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm 40+ How do I join...:laugh:
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - hope all are having a good weekend.

DiazD01 - welcome - I'm pretty new myself but just join in!!

we had some discussion going about involving family this morning and my daughter asked after I returned from my run if she can workout with me next week! WOOHOO! We'll see how it goes, but she's intent on being ready for marching band! Funny thing is that we've only got a week before rehearsals start for the 4th of July parade! :tongue: And she could make my morning runs interesting!

Crewel - did a tri a few (and lighter) years back and did enjoy it! I've heard that the wetsuits actually make you a little faster in the water too, so you may fnd it a good thing to wear it!

Zebas - 2.8 is awesome loss! Congrats!

Swiss - we've had awesome fresh strawberries this year too - don't know if it was all the spring rain or what but the flavor was awesome!

Sing - have a terrific birthday!

Alf - BBQ tomorrow sounds like a terrific idea - have fun!
  • kacrey
    kacrey Posts: 2
    Options
    I would like to join the 40+ club. I joined myfitnesspal this evening.
  • doriekaye
    doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was planning on walking today, but it's raining. So, it was the stationary bike for me. My first workout in a month yesterday left me VERY sore, so took it easy.