40+ Club: Summer Slimmers

Options
singfree
singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
I hope y'all found this new thread!

Welcome to everyone 40 years and older to our thread!!

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    Hi Singfree! Thanks for the new thread. I love the title!! Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Utah!

Been a couple of busy days around here and it looks like it is going to stay that way for a little while. That's okay because I prefer being busy over bored. Been having a good week with the workouts though. I'm continuing to do both an Insanity workout and a P90X workout each day, and it is tiring but I feel very good right now. My eating has been better this week, so I think my body is adjusting to the intensity (though I'm still very hungry).

Hope you all enjoy the day!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Yes, wow, another season, another thread. Thanks Sing.

Hope everyone is good. I have been stuck home w/a sick child all this week so far and just deposited him at school, perfectly fine this morning but with a cough, crossing my fingers I don't end up w/a call to pick him up because he's so distracting..... because otherwise I'm going to go crazy from being cooped up!!

Anyway, things are fine here. Stiring, I just started 6 week/6 pack yesterday and I liked it a lot. I was clumsy because it was my 1st workout but I can tell it'll be great. I love feeling strong in the abs and can't wait for the results. One of my favorite things about this DVD so far is that there are NO PUSHUPS! Nice to avoid those for a little bit. Eating is fine--averaging has been a savior for me ( I guess everyone on this site calls it a fancy name like zigzagging calories) but really it's just being over a few days, and under a few days. I have been on track maintaining and still feel I am "living" not "depriving".....

Have a great day everyone!!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm def 40+ and still a bit too wobbly, so thanks singfree :-)
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Hey All!

Mayor Sing thanks for the new thread. I typed in "Summer Simmers" on the search and got recipes. LOL Hope you had a good time on your trip. Welcome Goron!

I managed to get my 30 minute walk at lunch yesterday with a co-worker you should just call "Speedy Annie" and 60 minutes on the ellipitcal at the gym at night. But the real workout was putting 14 boxes of files into boxes and moving 5 other drawers of files around!

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday, and everone finds the new thread and maybe a few good recipes while they are searching for it!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Found you all! Love the title as I hope to be slimming this summer. Finally seems like summer hear in Michigan. Nice and warm for my run.

Picked up the pace on my 3 mile run today. Feeling stronger with each run.

Sing: Glad to hear your trip was a success.

Stiring: When I grow up I want to be able to do P90X, not sure about Insanity.

Zebras: Summer Simmers to funny! I just kept thinking that might be a good name for 40+ menopause group :-)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello from sunny and hot Orlando! 2 parks down 2 to go. Have not been able to avoid the not so healthy treats but hey I'm on vacation. Not too bad either. Walking a lot and drinking lots of water in this heat. Take care! Annette
  • zebras
    Options
    Alf:

Good to see you finally got there! We were picturing you stuck in a car for days on end.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Good afternoon all!! So far this part of Kansas has avoided the severe storms they've been predicting, but I'm not counting out a thunderboomer later today. They can pop up out of nowhere and become severe in about 15 minutes....not fun if you're out in an unprotected situation.

Robin, tell me more about the 6week/ 6 pack DVD...........where did you find it? I love the idea of a workout that concentrates on the core and abs, doesn't have pushups (bad wrists/hands, old work injuries) and shows results quickly. ALL of my extra weight and inches is centered in my belly and I've not found anything that I can stay with.........grrrrrr!!

Alf......hope you're loving Orlando.........enjoy it all for me too!! I've only been to Epcot for short visit; late afternoon/evening on a week night, so everything closed before 9:00 and we still had to drive back to the condo in Daytona. Maybe someday I'll get to take my grandkids to Disney.........in the far, far away future!!!
  • SLIM195
    SLIM195 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zebras
    Options
    Happy Thursday Everyone. Only got a 30-minute walk in at lunch yesterday, as we had a condo board meeting last night. However my body feels like things are working right, and hope to report good scale news in the morning!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good evening!

Happy Friday!!! I still have to work on Saturday morning, but I am happy for the weekend anyway. It's been a pretty good week for me. I've been exercising regularly and was able to hike and bike every day in addition to some strength training. I overate a bit in Utah, so I am dealing with the several extra pound i enjoyed on vacation!

Alf, have a great time in Orlando!

Glad to see that everyone has found the new thread.

Have a great weekend!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Soccer practice has begun it going to be hard for my son this year so we will practice and practice all summer to enhance his skills. He so want to make the team next year. I'm feeling overwhelmed most of the time. Im walking butnot as much, Im eating ok but not as good as I have been, need to find my center.

This year our trees look fabulous in NEPA. I cant rememeber when they have looked this good. My allergies are horrible. Still need to get rif of 10 pounds but my BP is better. If the may flies would die down, walking outside would be awesome. In my 43 years, I just realized I have to move with change because it will happen even if Im in the way.

Have a great week.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I have been gone for several months and have not been doing well. I gained 15 pounds. Anyway, I am back and wanting to rid myself of about 20 pounds. I don't have a lot of time to be online and this may be one of my problems...not keeping in touch with others.
  • zebras
    Options
    Welcome back Swiss! You can do it. I was lurking around for a long time, too, and gained back twice as much as you, so I know you can do it!

Well, I'm down1.6 lbs officially this week, thought it was going to be more but at least its in the right direction. Logged in over 13,000 steps yesterday for the walking challenge at work. I think we are supposed to be up to about 6,000 steps per day. So, I won't have any anxiety about building up to the 10,000 steps a day we need for week 8.

Hope everyone is well!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

I've been doing great with exercise this week and really good with eating clean and hydrating. I'm trying not to let the scale get into my head right now. I know enough to understand that the reason that the scale isn't dropping as quickly as I want it because I'm busy trying to convert back into more lean muscle. I know that eventually I'll get the benefit of the increased metabolism and the scale will start moving.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!

Swissmiss!!!! Welcome back!!!! So great to see you. A couple of quick things. Don't worry too much about the 15lbs. I know that sounds easier said than done, but, really, 15lbs is not enough to make you severely unhealthy. And focus on that health aspect of it as opposed to the more frustrating things like how your clothes are fitting. It is very easy to reverse and, again, is not a dangerous weight gain at all. As far as checking in, I know if I only have time to check in once a week, that still helps me stay on target. That's one of the reasons I love our Friday check-ins, because even when I'm not here every day, I keep my eye on the Friday check-in and what I want to be able to report that day. I'm so glad you're back with us. I really have missed you! :flowerforyou:

duffy, you had me laughing the other day with the Summer Simmers and 40+ menopause thread. So funny....and so very true! This getting older things is just bizarre. I was talking to my mother about it the other day and I told her it was like being a teenager again wtih all the mood swings and such. Except now I'm smart enough to know that I really shouldn't be acting this way. Back then....I wasn't. But now I recognize how off-the-charts unpredictable I am and I'm like 'Wow....is this really me?' If it weren't so bad, it would probably be entertaining (on some level). Anyhow, good job on the exercise. I'm sure that feels great on your body. Don't worry about your weight because you are so right....your body will adapt and you'll experience all those wonderful benefits of exercise here shortly.

zebras, congrats on the weight loss!!! You are doing so well!

LadyPersia, I hear you about feeling overwhelmed sometimes. Right now, just do what you can and forget the rest. Sometimes life is just like that. You've been through alot, so don't worry about it right now. Focus on what you ARE doing and leave it there.

singfree, glad you had a good week, but sorry to hear you are having to work on Saturday. We're supposed to get rain all weekend...don't know if you are in the same boat. I can't complain too much because we've been enjoying just wonderful weather, but I really wish it wouldn't rain on the weekends. :ohwell:

alf, glad you are enjoying Orlando!

Robin, I'm so glad you are enjoying Six Weeks/Six Pack. I really like those workouts.

mkwood, Six Weeks/Six Pack is a Jillian Michael's workout. You can probably find it at Target for $9.99 or so. It consists of two workouts that really focus on the core area of the body. The first workout is some standing work and mat work for the core. The second really focuses more on standing core work (and gets the heart rate up there). I like them because I think they work the overall body better than something like crunches do.

All here is well. I just finished another week of Insanity Month 2 and P90X. This is tough. Really tough. Tougher than I thought it would be. But I only have one more week of this combination, and I'm determined to finish it. But I certainly wouldn't recommend this as a rotation to most people. I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to do, to be honest. Granted, my body is loving it in terms of definition and such. But, boy, am I tired by 7:00 each night!! Anyhow, the workouts themselves are going great, so that is good. And my eating was MUCH better this week, so that has made me feel better too.

I hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Slimmer in Summer--I'll take it! :happy:

I may try that Jillian Michaels DVD (I tried not to say "tape" and show how over-40 I am! :laugh: ). I feel like I'm all tummy right now.

I've been battling a bit of the blues lately. I have no idea why. We had all these beautiful sunny days, and all I did was hang out in the house. Of course, the day I'm ready to shake it off and get out and about, it's freezing out. :grumble:

TGIF! Have a great weekend, everyone.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    You all have made me feel so go. :flowerforyou: I believe that I will lose with all the help and encouragement I recieve here.

Nicole, I also call them "tapes". Hard to gett used to the new. Good luck with the Jillian Michaels DVD and let us know how you like it. I would imagine it will really give you a workout.

Menopause has been discussed here? Does singfree contribute to the conversation? I have been through it for nine years now. I don't think that I had too bad of a time but my family may disagree with that. The only time I have a hot flash now is if I talk about having them. I would say that they must be mental for me.

alf, I so wish I were with you. I have a son in Tampa and my granddaughter attends school in Orlando. I have not seen them for four and a half years. I am trying real hard to get down there this summer. I was ready to buy my ticket when my supervisor told me to wait because she may be having surgery. If she does then this summer is definately out.

zerbras, good to hear that you are still losing.

I did not do well for lunch. Fish and chips !!! But for dinner I had a grilled chicken salad. So, I am feeling better.

It feels good to be back with like-minded people.
  • singfree
    Options
    At my age, I call it "MAN-O-PAUSE" !!!! I only get hot flashes when I see a pretty lady!

Have a great weekend...I am back at work as we speak!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    sing...you have made my day. I also think that men get PMS. But, instead of it being once a month they have it at least once a week. This most certainly is not aimed at you sing. Just speaking from experience with my husband.:wink: