40+ Club: Summer Slimmers

Options

Replies

• Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Sorry I have been a little MIA...for some reason I haven't been in the writing mood these days but I hope to catch up w/ all the posts very soon.

Looks like there are quite a few new folks---Yay!! Glad to see it! Welcome Crewell, Trish, ladie and Aimee, and welcome back Swiss.... Look forward to hearing more about all of you!

Things are A-OK with me. Rounding out another week of single-mom life--I have to get used to this as my hubby is going to be traveling a ton over the summer. I have been maintaining just fine, just inching my calories up little by little with no issues. I have increased exercise a bit. I have gone from about 6 hour/week to 7 about 2 months ago, and then I just upped it a little more, to 8 hrs. Maybe that's keeping me afloat? Not sure. Anyway, yes, Stiring and MK---am loving the 6 week/6 pack! JM goes through the exercise once, and it's great. I don't particularly like the fact that it's then repeated again--I don't like repeating--but I grumble through it and then do feel great afterwards and my abs felt better after day 1. I think today will be my 4th or 5th day. Other than that, it has been nice to be able to exercise outside more and more as the weather has been nicer. All my favorite wild yummies in the woods are out: Wild Ramps and Morels, and then more things will come out as the season progresses...so I'm very motivated to get out there in the woods and find them. I just wish I didn't get all twisted around in the woods by myself--I am really only comfortable going w/my husband because I have such a bad sense of direction. Last year I tried by myself, got lost, so just went down, down, down...and then found myself in a neighborhood and very far from my car. Sigh..... need to learn how to use the terrain-gps.

have a great day everyone!! Robin
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Good morning all! Another rainy day here. I did 60 minutes on the treadmill at the gym last night, would have liked to done 90 to make up for the fact that we couldnt' do our lunchtime walk yesterday. But, I had to run home to watch House with my husband. If he watches it before me, he will talk about it, and will spoil the plot for me, and he's impatient and doesn't want to have to wait a minute longer than he has to to start watching it! LOL

Alf: I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, and more importantly that your son enjoyed it! We're going to Maine June 1. Always a challenge for eating and getting enough exercise as we are in the car driving a lot.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    MKWood - Congrats on your daughter's graduation! That's a huge accomplishment. I know you're proud. Tell her not to worry about the student loans--she can always get a deferment if she's not employed after 90 days (but she will be!). :happy:

Tron - I really hope your brother finds his ring! That Sponge Bob is addictive--poor kid never had a chance against that theme song! :laugh:

Crewellademel - I see someone else is counting down the days until school is over, too! I totally get it. And yes, the losses even out. We're here for you!

Alf - Thank you so much for the compliment! :flowerforyou: I'm not one to take many pictures, so I have to use the ones I do take so people know I'm a real person.

Terrt - That's a great start with running! Keep going!

Zebras - My hubby's like that. I can't let him see anything before me or he'll spoil the whole thing! What a hoot.

Today is cold and rainy. No walking for me!

I think I did something strange to my arm--it was hurting like the ****ens out of the blue last night, and now it seems a little bit swollen. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I hate going to the doctor/ER, but I'll go if I need to.

Have a great day, everyone!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm the mother of two teenage boys, and married to a wonderful guy (20 years next month!). I lost 60 lbs back in 2000, and kept most of it off for years, but it has been slowly creeping back up, especially in the past two years due to depression, and a total hysterectomy. My high point this February was only 17 lbs less than my highest weight ever. :embarassed: Focusing on my health and fitness has given me something to think about besides my own failures in life.

I'm trying to get the whole family to be more active along with me, which will be easier once school is done. I had tried C25k, but had to give it up because of my knees acting up. My doctor said it's arthritis and to avoid high impact activities, but recommended cycling. I am still considering what sort of bike I should get, but have started spin classes at the gym. I like them more than any group fitness activity I've done in the past. It's easy to go at my own pace, there are no steps for me to mess up, and I don't have to be embarrassed in front of all the cardio queens who are in much better shape and 15 years younger. :laugh: We're planning a road trip in June through a variety of state and national parks out west. I'll be sure to bring my trusty hiking pole to spare my arthritic knees when hiking!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I'm 40+ by 10 years tho. :tongue:

Really enjoy the threads where older people post - as we have much more in common. The others are entertaining to say the least, but out of my league.

have been with MFP for a year with no weight loss - but no real gain either. I am working hard to get these last 10-15 lbs off and am determined to do it by summer - so the title of this thread struck a chord with me.:smile:
  • seashells42
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm glad to see this group. I'm 50 and trying to get 10 lbs. off that I've needed off for the last 10 years. I had gotten to 160 a few years ago and it took me 5 years to get to 150 (I wasn't trying or even exercising, just tried to eat healthier than in the past). But now I am serious about getting this 10 lbs. off and getting stronger and tighter. I carry most of my weight in my belly - it blows up like a balloon - :grumble: . I've been doing Power 90 and have 1 week to go! :drinker: But, I have only lost 3 lbs. due to muscle growth underneath. Now I need to work on the diet portion so I can shrink these fat cells. :angry: I hope we can keep each other motivated. Everyone have a great week!:flowerforyou:
  • zebras
    Options
    Good to see all you new folks! You have come to a great place!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!!

So happy to see so many new faces!!! Welcome!!!

Victorious_One, congratulations on being so close to your goal weight!! :drinker: What a great accomplishment! I'm sorry to hear about your arm. Take care of it. Maybe try some ice and see if that helps with the swelling.

sdereski and seashells, welcome! Those last 10 pounds are hard to get off. The way I did it was to take my calories a bit higher and workout with intensity! I burned those pounds off through exercise. In addition, I ate as cleanly as I ever have eaten in my life taking off those last ten pounds. It wasn't fun, that's for sure. But it can be done!!

ColoradoRobin, I'm a Colorado native, so it's always fun to see another Coloradoan! I left Colorado in 1992 to follow my husband (Air Force) around the world, but I still consider Colorado my home. Spinning classes are great fitness, so I'm glad you found those. I hear you on how hard it is to get the family to become more active. Sometimes I have to pull my husband off the chair to get him moving. :laugh: Kinda drives me crazy sometimes.

zebras, you are doing SO great. Though you had me laughing when you said you had to cut your workout short because your husband would spoil House for you!! :happy: That's a great show, so I understand his enthusiasm.

alf, welcome back! I'm glad you and your son enjoyed the trip. I'm sure you were so active while gone that the little bit of less-than-healthy eating didn't hurt you a bit!

tron, SOOOO good to see you! Sounds like you've been busy with family. I'm hoping everything works out for your brother and his family on the new house and the job!

mk, congrats to your daughter on her graduation. I'm glad she's taking the OTS situation in stride. Good for her! She has so much to look forward to and so much potential that I'm glad she's not letting it get her down.

Robin, glad you are still enjoying JM 6 Weeks/6 Pack. I understand about the repetition but at least the second time through goes alot faster!

All here is going well. I've got three days left on this Insanity/P90X rotation, and I'm glad it is only three days. Like I said before, I'm enjoyihg it but it is tough. My eating is good this week (so far). Hope you are all well!
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Today was a strength day for me so I consider that a "don't eat more than your calorie goal" day. So far, so good - I had a crappy weekend sort of, but I did a lot of exercise in the form of gardening and moving furniture around. Looks like most of us are kicking the week off right! I weigh in tomorrow morning so I'll report my stats then!

Aimee
    :heart:
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Doing well today. Ate out for lunch but kept it to a healthy omelett. My dear husband cooked one of my favorite low carb dinners with chicken, broccoli, cheesy casserole something or the other and it was Divine! Biked this Am but taking the night off.....HELLO Netflixs here I come......but tomorrow AM will bike again and then I hope to use my neighbors dust collecting treadmill for a 40-60 minutes of really good cardio....it seems to really boost the metabolism. In charge of my little 1st graders end of year party.....we are having an Ice Cream Bar and Water Balloon Activities......can't wait! How many water balloons do you think 30 1st graders can go through in 30 minutes? :laugh: Everybody have a great day. :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Hopefully I can get to the gym today. I'm still on 12 hour shifts, so my time is limited. Also, the rain is not allowing me to get outside to exercise (or do anything else for that matter)!!

Have a great day!
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all! Welcome to all the new people. This is a great group for motivation and support.

This weekend my baby graduates from UT in Austin! Didn't we just get her settled into her dorm room freshman year? My son is flying in from grad school in San Francisco and my mother is flying in from Jackson, MS tomorrow and then we head down to Austin for graduation on Saturday. My daughter will have a degree in English and wants to stay in Austin so the job hunt is on!

We have picked several squash and cherry tomatoes from our backyard. It has been unusually cool for here this time of year. Makes the pumpkin vines happy but not so much for the okra. They like it hot and dry.

I have put on several of the pounds I had lost but this morning saw a nice dip in the scale, so hopefully I am heading in the right direction. River aerobics starts again soon. I need to start wearing my river running shoes to get my feet used to them so i don't get a blister. Take care all! TxMs
  • zebras
    Options
    Greetings from Wet Connecticut! Had a last minute birthday dinner for someone last night, so I ate too much, didn't get to work out, but had a great time. Will work doubly hard tonight to undo the damage! Missing our lunch walks with this rain!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Yay, a 40s-plus group. I like it! (...although I almost qualify for a 50s group...)

I'm on MFP to lose the 20 pounds I gained back (after losing 35).
    I only need to lose 20 pounds, but they are the Last 20 pounds, and my age/metabolism doesn't seem to cooperate as well as twenty years ago, eh?

I jog, walk, and bicycle, all at easy paces.
    I don't exercise AT ALL (meaning calisthenics, weights, situps, etc.) so that's my goal in joining MFP.

Again, great Age-group Club here. I'm here to support you all

Thanks
  • JuliaSoCal
    JuliaSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    Hello...
    wanted to pop in and say hi and an update.

I have been working on maintence, AND, to me, it has been harder than the weight loss! I have been kinda fluctuating between 118 and 121, without rhyme or reason. Last week, It seemed like my eating was all crap, yet I was DOWN to 118 when I weighed myself.

Still struggling to find that mental balance... ( maybe due to mental imbalance LOLOL)

I stepped away from the board in hopes that I would not obsess as much, and that did not, so Iam going to try and be more active on this board again.

Chat with you soon...

Julia
  • catdub
    catdub Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - love the good vibes in this group and I'd love to join in the fun. I've been on MFP since mid March of this year. I previously lost 50 pounds (went from 205 to 155 in 2003/04). I've since gained back 10+/- (depending on the day). My goal is to lose 20 lb but I am focusing more on getting fit and lean so not sure where my weight will end up at. The scale has not been my friend these 2 months but I know that I am gaining muscle so hope to see some downwards movement soon. I am doing a combo of Slim Series and Turbo Jam DVD's. Weekends are my downfall as it is so hard to resist chicken wings and bevies with my hubby and friends!

Are there any Canadians on this thread? I am from southern Alberta.

I look forward to checking in with you all as we work towards our goals!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is still getting the rain. We are so tired of it here.

Texssippian...I have a granddaughter in college. Now, that makes me feel old. Glad that the scales are moving in the right direction for you.

Frances...I qualify for a 60s group.:laugh: I also gained some weight this winter. And, am slowing losing it. One thing I would advise is to begin using weights. Build up so muscle to burn fat. Plus, you will have a more shapely body.

Julia....glad that I am not the only one struggling with keeping the weight off. I have trouble accepting that this has to be a lifestyle from now on.

catdub...we should keep in contact with each other on the weekends. That is when I have the most trouble, also. During the week I am at work with only the food that I brought in. This makes it so much easier to eat right.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello everyone!!
    I got brave today and bought 30 Day Shred and Six Week/Six Pack DVDs. I've never tried any home workout DVDs, but I'm willing to give it a try. I think I've hit a burnout phase with Curves; haven't been there in nearly 2 weeks and don't miss it but am totally disgusted with myself for not going........how weird is that?? Anyhow.........I'm going to see if Jillian can motivate me!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    mkwood...I totally understand about getting burned out. I was going to the YMCA six times a week, taking two different classes. Last November I sort of just walked away. I have tried to go back a couple of times but just can't get back into it. So, at this time I am doing nothing and I know that this isn't good.

Did well on dinner. Husband took me out again. I had an eye doctor appointment and when I was finished he took me to a grill. I had the grilled shrimp with wild rice and a salad. Very good meal. Tomorrow is taco salad day at the cafe at work. I can't help myself, I have to buy one. It takes me two days to finish them. They would be very healthy if I could just throw the bowl away...but, no way and I doing that.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Hello from soggy PA...

Well, I was able to get in a hike up the mountain today in between rain showers. I got back to my car just as it began raining again. I really enjoy exercising outdoors. I did a short upper body workout at the gym before the hike. I really need to get into shape before the summer begins. A shirtless 56 year old is usually a nasty thing to behold!!! :sick:

Have a great day!