40+ Club: Summer Slimmers

Options

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

alf, good to see you. I'm glad you enjoyed some time 'away' with your husband. Enjoy your time in Florida. It sounds like fun!

Swissmiss, are you enjoying the Zumba DVDs? I hope so. I think 20 minutes is great!! You are very smart to take the time to build up to the full workout.

crewellademel, unfortunately, I don't have too many DVD recommendations for beginners. I know people love Leslie Sansone ('Walk Off The Pounds'), but I've never done any of her DVDs. I'd recommend going to the websites 'videofitness.com' or 'collagevideo.com' and having a look around. There is a message board at videofitness.com where maybe you can get some more info. Sorry I can't help. And be proud of those 38 pounds you've lost!! You are doing great.

zebras, I vote for Firefly, but that's because I love that show! I hope you get the good news that you're going to get the new kitty soon!

tron, good luck on Insanity. Let me know if you have ANY questions on the program at all. Be prepared to work hard. Take breaks when you need. And modify any and every move that you need to modify. Don't try to move as quickly as Shaun T. or his crew. And enjoy!!! Even though I've done a few rotations of Insanity, these workouts still give me a tremendous sense of accomplishment,, and I hope you feel the same way.

All here is going well. Did another Asylum workouts this morning (Verticle Plyo) and loved it. Thanks all for your encouragement on my 'athletic state'. I guess I see athletes as people with skill, and that's something I don't quite have. Unless you count jumping around my basement staring at a TV as a skill. :laugh: :blushing: But I truly appreciate all of your positive comments. You all make me feel so good.

Hope you all enjoy the day!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Cat has arrived. We are trying out "Firefly" husband didn't want me to leave him alone with all the cats, so no workout last night.Then we had to corral Firefly back into the case to bring her to our vet to be checked out, and get her own MFP to work on.
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all!

Had two kicker workouts yesterday. We went to the trainer first. I had asked to do something with the exercise ball. She had us do weight pyramids on the ball. Yikes! It was hard but fun. Then I went to river aerobics for another hour. The instructor is finally pushing everyone. I think we did about 10 laps which is about a mile and 1/4 with half the laps being against the current.

I had actually a very clean eating day (for me) yesterday. I have a friend who is looking into weight loss surgery and is trying to eat right before the surgery. After reading all the stuff you have to do before and after the surgery, I decided it is time for me to get into high gear and get the rest of this weight off.

Zebras: We have our son's cat while the son is in graduate school in San Francisco. The cat's name is Rambo.

Swiss: I hope you can get back to your power deep water aerobics. Deep water aerobics at my nat is at 5:30 pm. Since it is an hour to 90 minute commute home, I cannot usually get home in time for it.

The parks and rec center has already set the schedule for classes through December. Our trainer is going to check with people she knows who are Zumba certified to see if someone is interested in Aqua Zumba and maybe we can get it going in January.

It is hot and dry here. Around 100 in the shade. Not wearing hose to work and even have on open toed shoes today. (Shocking for me!) Take care all. TxMs
  • zebras
    Options
    Tex:

I'm picturing a cat in camo colored stripes!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    rain
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stiring, I feel that anyone who is in shape, like buff and trim could be considered an athlete. A person who is healthy as you are would be able to participate in sports. I guess that is one way of looking at it.

:flowerforyou: zebras...are you saying that your new kitty will actually have an account at MFP? That would be quite funny. We can all befriend her.

:flowerforyou: Tex, your workouts sound great. Do you see a trainer very often? I am thinking of employing the one at the Y for an hour just to make sure that my form is correct when I am using the machines. I had one about a year ago and she corrected a lot of what I was doing wrong. So, I should probably be looked at again.

LadyPersia...are you saying that you have rain ??? Well, if you needed it then I am very glad for you. :bigsmile:
  • zebras
    Options
    Swiss, nope but that would be funny! Vet has ordered 3 oz of canned food in the morning and 3 at night. Don't know how we can limit one cat, and not the others. Hopefuly just be the fact she's no longer going to be living in a cage will automatically give her a head start. Too bad we don't have stairs for her to climb.
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Swiss, my husband and I buy 12 visits at a time from our trainer. We try to go one time a week but don't always make it. If we did not go to the trainer, I am pretty sure that my husband would do very little and what he would do would not be correct!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Swiss... It's not bad during that time but from my experience, for me personally, I don't lose any weight during that week. I don't want to take my before photo all bloated and even more gross looking... Altho maybe that's not a bad :laugh:

We have almost finished remodeling a downstairs apt. I was over there yesterday helping cleaning it up. It turned out so nice I hope it gets rented out quickly. Today I have been so stressed out about another tenant that i now have a headache from hell. I told my husband if this turns out bad, which it looks like it's not going to (keeping fingers crossed) then I am done and it will be time to think about giving up and the rentals all together. This is defiantly not something you want to do if you expect everything to go smoothly.

So my goal today is to get rid of this headache. Wish me luck
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening (actually early morning here at work)!

Thanks to all for my Birthday wishes. I feel like I'm a "young" 57. I hope Stiring agrees, since she's the only one here who has actually met me in person!!!

Stiring, Thanks for the update on Asylum. It sounds like another winner from ShaunT. I still have not gotten back to Insanity, but I plan to soon. I'm still hiking up those mountains daily, which is a good workout and hiiting the weights at the gym. My diet has been a bit better since last week.

Alf, I do wear a knee brace when I do Insanity. It seems to help a lot. That's one reason I stopped doing Insanity (and running in general). Right now my cardio is mostly hiking and biking.

Crewellademel, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was GREAT!! Even though it was at an outdoor venue (the Mann Center in Philadelphia), the sound was incredible. It was even more amazing when they did some songs and did some choreography. At certain times during a song, whole sections would clap, and then others would pick it up. The movements were so precise that every one moved in perfect unison. This is amazing, considering there are 300 singers! They had the full Choir, orchestra and organist there, as well as the narrator from their TV broadcasts. In all, 600 people are on tour. They chartered 2 jets, 11 buses and a number of trucks to haul everything around.

Tron, yes I'm on permanent night shift for the rest of my career. I might get used to the sleep schedule by the time I retire!!

It's so nice to have everyone posting again! Keep it up!

Have a great day all!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Good morning sing. It is morning where I am....6:00 in fact. Are you alright with your work hours? I am such a morning person that I would never be able to work nights.

:flowerforyou: tron...I really don't remember much about TOM. I have not been there for over nine years.:laugh: I hope that all works out with your rental. My son, in Florida, has rentals so I sort of know how difficult they can be....repairs, costs, having to deal with different tenents. I wouldn't want the job. But then, I guess that if you were to get a very good tenent who pays their rent on time, then it wouldn't be too bad.

:flowerforyou: tex...I so agree about having a trainer. We really do need to be observed occasionally. I think it is wonderful that you and your husband are in this together. I just thought about my husband using a trainer. No way !!! He is quite a loner and doesn't work well with others.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: zebras..kitty will probably do much better outside the cage. No room for any activity in one of those. You may have to feed her away from the other cats. Just to make sure that she is eating only her food and the others are not getting into hers.

sing, I noticed that you mentioned a knee brace. I have tendonitis on my left knee. It is painful right below the cap. I wear some contraption on it when I am at work. I asked my chiorpractor about it just this week. I was hoping he could do something for it. Nope,,,he just said to take pain relievers and put ice on it.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    singfree, there is NO doubt you are a young '57'. You are living proof that age is just a number. Hope you had a great birthday!

TxMs, your workouts sound great. I'm glad the intensity of the river aerobics is picking up. I wish I could find something like that around here but I don't think the Potomac is a great river for such things. :laugh:

zebras, I'm sure the kitty will benefit greatly from being out of a cage. Congrats on your new family member. I hope all the kitties adjust well to the new addition.

swissmiss, thanks for your kind words! I have a bit of a self-esteem issue when it comes to fitness I think. I never was an athlete or very fit (I was the stereotypical kid always chosen last for the team in school), so I guess I just don't see myself as being fit despite my dedication to fitness. Weird. Doesn't bother me like it did when I was a kid, though. I do what I can....and forget the rest!

tron, I'm sorry to hear about the rental headache. I hope things smooth out for your soon.

All here is well. I got in a good cardio workout this morning, and will do my strength training and Asylum (the Back to Core workout) later today. We're a bit cooler and less humid today, but they're predicting a heat wave for the long weekend. Oh, well. Good thing the heat doesn't other us too much.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • zebras
    Options
    Morning all! Husband's friend said I could skip the gym and bench press the cat! Carrying her back and forth to my vet, he's right! Well, she was a super cuddle bug last night, I just hope she and the other cats can get used to each other, and we'll be all set.

Didn't get a workout last night, as I wanted to stay with kitties, but they'll be alone all day today, so I shouldn't have a problem tonight, Oh and I did get a strong 1/2 hour walk at lunch yesterday, and ate well.
  • pepper06
    pepper06 Posts: 89
    Options
    R- sending you a big hug for your recent loss. Hows your Mom doing?

My life has been a whirlwind as well. Brought my Mom up frm AL for dau Graduation-which went well. Memorial weekend she leaned on my laudry room door and fell through breaking her wrist and a hugh black bruise on her thigh/bone....well it just all snowballed from there. Lonnnnng story short tomorrow shw will be transported to another hospital to have a blockage in her heart removed. Hopefully, there will be improvement...lots of prayers!

With all this I am soooo stressed, but am not putting allot of weight on....couple lbs.....I continue to work out as I find it really helps allot with relieving stress especially with my workout group :)

The plan is to return Mom to AL end of July, but that is up in the air. We are hosting a teenager from France from 3 wks in Aug.

Thats it for now.....rain,rain go away.....my garden needs sun!!!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    StiringWendel:

Which version of Insanity do you have? I saw a 13-dvd set (Insanity Deluxe) on craigslist & was considering it. How do you like it?

Thanks!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good day all,

Wow - what a busy board! Great job posting everyone.

I had our Annual Black Fly run this past weekend, which is always, busy and stressful the days leading up to it. It was a huge success, with lots of positive feedback. Saturday night I had a Retirement party for a dear friend. I tell ya, by Saturday night I was beat!!
    The weather was gorgeous on the weekend, so Sunday, I tried to get caught up on some housework and then DH and I headed out for a paddle on lake. It was a perfect day for it as the lake was like glass. Took some nice pictures as the shoreline is so ruggedly beautiful! Didn't do much else exercise wise, so Monday I was back at it. Still tired, but I did manage to get my weights in and then went for a nice walk.
    Ran 10km yesterday - it was a good run!:smile:
    Today, its' weights and a run.
    My girlfriend and I are now going to be working with a trainer when doing our weights. :bigsmile: Really happy about that.
    He was with us on Monday and had us work our pecs and triceps. Am feeling them more today than yesterday, but it's all good.
    It is another beautiful day here and calling for a nice warm long weekend.

Eating hasn't been the best. Darn sugar!!! I was doing so good up until the weekend. Tried to get back on track Monday, and didn't do too bad, but blew it yesterday. UGH!

Alf - your weekend getaway sounds absolutely lovely. Nice to do those things every once in a while.

Stiring - you are definitely an athlete in my eyes!! I do hear what you;re saying though - sounds like you and I were the same kid at school. Never very athletic, and always the last one picked. I had a very difficult time accepting I had qualified to run the Boston Marathon - kept feeling like I didn't belong there, and that it was just a fluke that I qualified. I guess it's all that "negative" stuff that was in our heads from our younger days, but I really, really struggled with that.

SwissMiss - gotta say it again - love your daily posts. So sweet.

Zebra - all this take about kitties - how many do you have now? Did I miss that somewhere? Sounds like a few. :laugh:

Enjoy the rest of your day. :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    tladame, I have the Deluxe Edition which really includes only a couple extra workouts. I really love Insanity. It isn't great fun to do, but it is effective for building cardio strength and, as I said the other day, I feel such an accomplishment when I do the program. The other great thing about it is it doesn't require equipment or much room, so I find it a very versatile program for traveling (or, in my case, when we are moving so much). As far as the benefits of the Deluxe edition over the standard edition, I'd have to check the cost difference. But I love the cardio workout (Max Interval Sports Training) that comes with the deluxe edition, so I recommend it if you can afford it. But if it is an outrageously higher cost, it probably isn't worth it. Hope that helps! Let me know if you've got other questions.

pepper, good to see you! I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she recovers soon! I'll be thinking about you. :flowerforyou:

sdereski, you qualified for the Boston Marathon?!? What an amazing accomplishment!! Yep, that's something to be proud of, but I agree, those old voices somehow keep popping back up, don't they? Sounds like you're doing really well with your workouts. Don't worry about the odd few days of less-than-ideal eating. You'll find yourself back on track in no time.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: sdereski...THE BOSTON MARATHON...WOW. I am proud to say that I sort of know you.:smile:

:flowerforyou: pepper..it may have been a blessing that your mom had her fall. That is how the blockage was found, right? What if she hadn't had the fall and the blockage would have gone unnoticed. Praying that she has a quick healing.

:flowerforyou: zebras..just how heavy is that cat? My daughter brought home one years ago that weighed 36 pounds. She was also an old cat and didn't live very long.

I am hoping to get to the gym tonight. I have been using any excuse I can to miss it.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    tladame, I have the Deluxe Edition which really includes only a couple extra workouts. I really love Insanity. It isn't great fun to do, but it is effective for building cardio strength and, as I said the other day, I feel such an accomplishment when I do the program. The other great thing about it is it doesn't require equipment or much room, so I find it a very versatile program for traveling (or, in my case, when we are moving so much). As far as the benefits of the Deluxe edition over the standard edition, I'd have to check the cost difference. But I love the cardio workout (Max Interval Sports Training) that comes with the deluxe edition, so I recommend it if you can afford it. But if it is an outrageously higher cost, it probably isn't worth it. Hope that helps! Let me know if you've got other questions.

Thanks for all the info! I think they were selling it for $60. Looks like the original cost is MUCH higher. I just may investigate...