40+ Club: Summer Slimmers

Options

Replies

• Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I've been away for a while. Summer has me out and about! Right now I'm out on my deck in the shade, enjoying the mild temp before it gets too hot here. I do need to walk the dog, so I may do that after posting. I also found out that cooking is considered exercise. Who knew? I'll take all the inspiration as I can get to get myself in that kitchen and cook healthy meals.

I put on a couple of lbs with my TOM, and then I was having a carb-filled week or two, so the pounds haven't gone away. All that holiday celebrating is OVER, so no more excuses! Gotta get into an exercise and eating swing that's going to help me.

On another front, I had some good conversation with my pastor and with his wife over the past week. They are really encouraging my husband and I to step out and become more active in ministry. I'm going to start by volunteering to take over my pastor's hiring process of finding his dream team of administrators to help him out. I remember from working what a pain it was to fill open positions. Oy!

That's it for now. I hope everyone's long weekend was great.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stiring, the grilled hotdogs made me a bad girl. :laugh: But, yes, they were very good. I can't remember the last time I ate a hotdog. I think I said this before but I feel it is wonderful that you are in the capital for the 4th. My daughter's school band was there performing. She wouldn't go, though.

:flowerforyou: Victorious, your life sounds so exciting. I hope that the new position is a good one for you.

I am on my lunch hour now. Hoping to get my personal computer working again soon.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!!! OMG, another MIA episode!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been sooo busy at my research job and my Zumba job!!!! I feel I have abandoned you guys!!!! I always think about all of you and have tried to read some of the posts but havent had the time to post. So sorry...

I continue teaching Zumba of course but one thing I need to increase are my strength training workouts. Ever since getting injured, first my shoulder and then my hips and foot I feel I have lost some of my strength. I have been able to maintain my definition in my arms and quads but have lost some in my glutes...oh no, that cannot happen. LOL So once I come back from convention I want to start on a good strength trng program. And speaking of Zumba, leaving to convention tomorrow until Mon evening. I am so excited. It will be so much fun, really looking forward to it. I will be working out for 5 days but mostly cardio of course. I am getting two new licenses, Aqua Zumba and Zumba Toning along with other dance sessions. Fun stuff!!!!

Ok guys not sure if I will post much from my phone, not taking a laptop. (((((HUGS)))))))))) :flowerforyou:
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! Well.....I made it! I did my part in the triathalon..... It was an incredible experience. :bigsmile: Our relay team took second at our triathalon on Saturday! :drinker: As you probably noticed I posted my pic for all to see! :happy: I also added before and after pictures for my one year....one half way to my goal......to my profile. Take a look and tell me what you think! Thanks for everyones encouragement.....you guys ROCK!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, you are right about the strength training. I stopped in November but have started back up again. I really noticed a difference in how toned (or not toned) my body became. It didn't take long either. I wish that you lived close to me. I would love to take all of your Zumba classes. I can't imagine how we can do aqua Zumba !!

crewellademel...congrats of the triathalon. I have never tried one. Maybe I should.:wink:

I am taking 1/2 day of vacation starting at noon today. One of my daughters need to re-take part of her driving test so this is where I will be.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    Victorious One, I used to wear a GoWearFit (one of those Body Bugg devices that calculates all of your calories burned per day), and I was amazed at how many calories I could burn when I was cooking or baking, especially when I was entertaining. While I've never eaten my exercise calories in total, I do find it good to know for those days when I don't get the exercise in I want that by at least doing something in my kitchen.....I'm doing something. Good luck with the volunteering!

Swissmiss, it was fun spending Independence Day here in DC. I'm sorry your daughter wouldn't make the trip because I think she would have had alot of fun. I haven't had a hotdog in years either (probably 30 years) but somehow when you posted about them, I got a sudden craving! Go figure. Enjoy your 1/2 day.

alf, good to see you! Strength training makes all of the difference in the world to the shape of my physique. How are your injuries doing? I hope you're feeling better. Enjoy the convention!! Sounds like so much fun.

crewel, congratulations!! That is SOOOOO excellent! And the photo is great!

All here is well. I did a good Turbo Fire workout this morning, and will a back/bicep workout later today. My eating is MUCH better than it has been of late, and that makes me happy. I don't think I'm losing any weight (which is fine) but I feel like I'm losing some of the puffiness that I suffer from when I start eating more poorly. One of the things I really have to watch is alcohol, because it just makes me all squishy (yes, that's a scientific term!). I haven't had anything alcoholic for a few weeks and, funny enough, I'm not missing it at all right now. That's a good thing. Now I just need to eliminate the couple of sweets I eat a day (or at least cut it in half) and I'll feel much better about my eating habits.

Enjoy your day!
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all! Greetings from hot, hot Texas! it has been over 100 degrees for about a week now. Thank goodness for air conditioning and the silver fold out shade you put on your car windshield. My husband grilled hotdogs and chicken on the Fourth. We could have just thrown the food on the patio to cook.

I finished the first four weeks of river last night. It was a make-up session for one night when we had to cut it short due to weather. The instructor did not show up but we just "taught" ourselves.

Alf: have a wonderful time at your Zumba conference. I am still working on finding an aqua zumba class that I can do. Too bad you can't commute from San Antonio to Denton.

Crewel: great job on the tri! I have done a personal one where I have swum, biked and walk/trotted the distance by myself but not in a competition. Maybe one day... Great pictures!

Hubs and I are going to the trainer tonight. No river tomorrow night; it starts back next week for another four weeks. But, on Friday night we are starting our over 40 woman's water polo league. YEA!!!! So much fun and what a great workout: swimming/treading water for a full 60 to 70 minutes.

I have signed up for a spinning and yoga class which will start after river is over. Yikes! Have I lost my mind??? Take care all. TxMs
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Tex, I had thought of signing up for the spinning class at the YMCA this session but changed my mind what with the heat. People walk out of that room in the middle of winter with sweat pouring off them. I will wait til the weather is cooler.

:flowerforyou: stiring, once again you are such an inspiration for us. I really need to be following your example more.:heart:

I won't even tell you how bad I was today. Let's just say..I will not be logging in my food.

Good news: My daughter passed her driving test. She is now at the mall. Drove there herself. Funny thing, after she passed I had to drive from the bureau because she was too busy texting everyone the news.:laugh:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Good morning everyone.:flowerforyou: Today is a new day. Fresh and clean. Let's keep it that way. I vow to eat healthy today and get in some exercise.:drinker:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    TxMs, I think you'll love the spinning and yoga classes! Can't believe you're half way through the river season, but it must feel good in that heat. And YAY for water polo!! How fun!

Swissmiss, I'm glad to hear about your daughter and her driving test. How funny that she was too busy texting to drive, but at least she wasn't texting while driving!! Don't worry about being 'bad'. I have days where I eat better than others, and, as my husband loves to tell me all the time, it is about balance. I figure as long as I'm healthier more than I'm not, I'm doing okay. Thanks for your kind words!!!

Did another Asylum workout this morning. For some odd reason, I decided to do another week of the program. Guess that must mean I like it. Later I'll do a short leg workout and maybe some yoga. My eating is good, and I'm feeling better and better about that.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I donated blood at our office blood drive, and they told me not to exercise for 24 hours. So, no workout this morning...maybe I'll try to do one tonight if I'm not too tired. I also ate a lot of extra calories yesterday, since I didn't want to feel sick after donating. It worked though! I had eaten 2 meals by 10:30am, and felt fine after donating. When I got home from work, I was craving meat so I sent the husband out to a Mexican restaurant to get me a shredded beef tostada. :blushing: I was shocked when I stepped on the scale this morning and actually weighed 1 pound less than yesterday. Woot! Back on track with normal eating today though, heh heh.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Shoot...my lunch is just about over. Before I go I want to reply to tladame. I am always told to not lift after donating also. But, in my job I have to. I did donate late one afternoon and 1/2 hour later went to my Zumba class. Wow, I just about passed out. So, yes, they are right. Do not exerise too soon.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    @ Swissmiss - Yikes! I know what you mean though. I felt a little "off" for the rest of the day, and was really tired when I got home. I couldn't have done any exercise if I had wanted to! Feeling much more normal today. :smile:
  • loseisthegoal4me
    Options
    Hi all - thought I would introduce myself since I lurked here a couple of times. I am in S. Louisiana - around 43 with about 67 pounds I would like to lose. I am really liking the fitness pal. I have worked with a trainer since January and seem stuck at 15 pounds. I think this will get me over the hump.

Today was a good day. I went to the gym and really felt like jumping off the arc trainer after 20 minutes but made myself go for the full 45 minutes. I went to dinner at Olive Garden with my male BFF and made sure I ordered the linquine marinara so I was well under calories. (I wish I had known they have low fat dressings - or at least the website indicates that. Will have to ask next time.)

I teach interior design online - so I am always on the computer. Too sedentary a job for weight loss - but I do love it. I look forward to "meeting" you.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well I finally did the insanity fit test. I think I did ok considering
    Switch kicks-94
    power jacks-35
    Power knees-66 (I had a hard time keeping my balance)
    power jumps-13
    Then I had to cheat and put the pause button on and rest longer
    Globe jumps-7
    Suicide jumps-12
    Push up jacks-3. ( well kinda, I can't really do a push up)
    low plank oblique-30
    I need to take a before pic tomorrow. I'm too sweaty and yucky even for a fat before pic! :laugh:
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Sorry I have been MIA too but I am thinking about everyone! I had some icky virus for a few weeks where I had headaches and sore throat and it put a damper on my motivation. Thankfully it is gone now....

I'm feeling more like myself again after one of the worst months ever..... I wrote a little post last week about where I am with that if you want to read...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin1117.

Am still doing 6 wk/6pack, for an extra few weeks because when I was traveling last month I didn't get the consistency with it that I would have liked, or the 6 pack, so I'm waiting...waiting...waiting for the the 6 pack to arrive. I think it's almost here.

The other weird piece of news in my world is that after maintaining for over a year I actually lost a few lbs! I was very shocked, thinking it was mostly stress-related. But, maybe it's also because of the workout and streamlining my core a little more? I'm not sure. Now I'm struggling a little with eating a little less than I should and trying to get my levels back up to where they were before. Part of it is that my husband has been traveling a lot and I don't really have big dinners the way I do when he is home. Part of it maybe is just not feeling well? I'm not sure. I like being a few lbs lighter but worry a little--I don't want it to get lower as I am in the "lighter end of healthy" on the chart now and do not want to dip close to underweight category.

Tron--Good luck on the insanity workout!

Welcome Loseisthe goal....don't you love that feeling of accomplishment after a good workout??

tladame--nice that you gave blood....a good reminder to all of us who haven't in awhile!

Hi to everyone! I have missed you guys and hope to be better at writing now that I feel better!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Robin, what was causing your symptoms? I ask because I have the same ones. Feeling horrible today. Congratulations on losing some more.

:flowerforyou: tron, I have no idea if you did good or not since I don't do insanity. But, it sounds good.

Welcome loseisthegoalforme...Sounds like you are doing well in the exercise area. I have gone to Olive Garden and just got their salad but then my husband will order extra bread sticks and my diet is shot.

Well, am waiting for my day to begin. I have only two hours til I can begin working.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

tladame, I'm glad you listened to your doctor and your body and didn't workout after giving blood. Glad you're feeling better now!

loseisthegoal4me, welcome!! Thank you for giving us a little info on you. Sounds like you are doing really well with the workouts. I'm sorry you seem to be stuck with weight, but, hopefully, MFP will help that. Good job choosing a healthy option at Olive Garden. Regarding the salad dressing, if you find they don't have a low far version, another option is to get the dressing on the side (they're more than happy to do that) and just dipping your fork into it while you're eating your salad. I've done that at Olive Garden and since the dressing is so tasty, it works just fine and I don't feel like I'm missing that flavor I love (because I love their salad dressing), but I'm doing it without all of the calories.

tron, great job on the Insanity fit test!!! By doing it, you've gotten a good flavor for what to expect with the workouts. I hope you enjoy them. They are tough! Tough but fun!! Let us know how it goes.

Robin, so good to see you! I've been thinking about you. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well lately. Given the past month/six weeks, it isn't too surprising you've been ill. Don't worry about the weight loss right now. While I understand you don't want to go into the underweight category, there really isn't any need to feel stress about it right now. I was technically underweight for a number of months two years ago, and it had no ill effects for me. Eventually my body and eating habits adjusted to allow me to gain back a little weight in a healthy way and get back on track. I'm sure the combination of stress, different eating habits and being ill are causing this, but, again, there is no reason to actively worry about it. Focus on getting in the right amount of calories when you can (and feel like it) and as long as you are eating a balanced diet with a full spectrum of nutrients, you should be fine.

Swissmiss, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well! Hope you get better soon.

Friday check-in....this has been a really good week for me. My eating is getting better and better. And for the first time in a very long time, I feel really motivated to get back to healthier habits. I was pretty down all winter (it was a tough transition for me here to the DC area) and just didn't feel like I cared anymore about how I was eating. The good thing is I stayed very committed to my workouts throughout that so I didn't gain much if any weight. But, boy, I was eating a bit too many sweets, that's for sure. But that all seems behind me right now which makes me happy. My workouts are going great. I did an Insanity workout this morning, and will do an Asylum workout (strength) later. This will be the first time I've done both an Insanity and an Asylum workout in the same day. Wish me luck....because I think it could kill me! :laugh:

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Happy Friday all! Sorry I haven't been talkative this week!

Welcome new folks. Sorry to hear about those not feeling well.

Well, I'm down 5.8 lbs over the last two weeks. (Jumping up and down with excitement) I thought 4th of July eating would undo what I lost the first week and actually stayed off the scale until today because I was afraid to look! I knew I generally did better eating than past holidays, but I missed a lot of workouts and had ice cream twice over the long weekend. Did a full two hours at the gym last night, did a lot of hills on the treadmill.
  • loseisthegoal4me
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome all.

Definitely seeing the calories and net calories is helping me. I have got to start telling the BFF that we can't eat out except for special occasions. He does really well with the exercise but doesn't eat right. Way too many sugars especially when he is diabetic.

Hope for a good day again today - will meet with trainer. It is supposed to be weigh and measure but I know I am not down. I am going to beg for a reprieve until next Tues. since the BFF will be out of town and I can control my eating well.

Have a great Friday!