Hardest Thing He Ever Had To Do

BamBam1113
BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
edited September 27 in Motivation and Support
I was at the gym this morning on the elliptical and I see this guy walk in. He had to have been in excess of 400 pounds. WAY in excess. He couldn't get on any of the machines because of how big he was. But dammit he walked around the machines doing laps and then would sit down on the stairs after 1 or 2 laps. He would drink some water and then get up and walk another couple of laps. I was so incredibly inspired by this guy I couldn't wait to get on here and write about it. I saw some of the trainers walking around and I was saying in my head, "Please stop and work with this guy. If anyone in this place needs it he does." Of course they walked past him. They may have been busy with other clients, so I can't fault them without knowing. But WOW...just the guts that it took for this guy to walk through those doors. That had to have been the hardest thing he ever did. I think it turned my perspective around though. Instead of looking at all those tiny people in there running 50 miles, or the big guys in the back lifting 500 pounds with their pinky finger, I was motivated by this guy. Truly, if he can do it....I can do it...You can do it. I hope I see him again. I would love to say something to him, but I don't want it to sound like one of those back-handed compliments. Just really wanted to share this story. Great day to each of you.

Replies

• b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    next time you see him, walk laps with him. I am sure he would appreciate it. give him someone to talk to!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Awesome for him for getting up an doing something!!!
  • WOW that is awesome!!!

Love the way you look at things!! Thanks for sharing!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    That is VERY inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I hope you do see him again and are able to talk with him.
  • LuvsToSpin
    LuvsToSpin Posts: 52 Member
    Wow! I know how hard that had to be for him, because I have been there - not 400 pounds, but larger than I should ever be. That first step is the worst, but mad props to him and I hope he gets encouragement and keeps going. Maybe if you see him again you could just start up a conversation with him and help keep the motivation going for him. I hope he makes an appointment with one of the trainers so they can give him some more direction.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    next time you see him, walk laps with him. I am sure he would appreciate it. give him someone to talk to!

I was going to say the same thing.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    I say just walk up and introduce yourself....no weight comments necessary. Or offer your times you hit the gym so he sees a comforting, familiar face. I'm sure that would mean the WORLD to him. I love that he inspired you and changed your perspective. So often we see people make jokes and whisper about why people 'like that' are at the gym, so I'm very grateful you had a caring attitude!!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Just say "Hi!" and give him a smile.

Great story, thanks for sharing.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    That gave me chills (kinda weird, lol)...but wow, what an inspiration!!!!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Incredible. Talk about inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    I LOVE this story! Thank you for sharing it with us! And kudos to him too! I would ask him if he'd mind if you walked with him one day... that way there's no chance of backfire, and you'll probably inspire him to do more walking! Thanks again!!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Great Story........... he is a better man than I !

hats of to him for doing in and facing it down !
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    I think boob is right.(That sounds too funny) Next time you should hang out with him. I remember I was 400 lbs once.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    You may not be the only person looking at him, and he may notice it, but what he might think is that people are judging him and that might make him want to give up. But if you went up and told him what an inspiration he was and that people everywhere are going to be inspired by his story, that might give him the motivation he needs to keep at it.

I would definately say something, and you can phrase it with, "I have been contimplating coming over and saying something to you but I didnt' want it to sound back handed, but... etc"

Its definately needed, I love getting compliments at the gym. I cant be the only one.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    You gave me goose bumps. I hope he goes back to the gym so you can introduce yourself. There are too many judgemental people out there. He was stronger that day than any of the muscle heads lifting 500lbs!
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    I love this post. Thanks for sharing!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    That's really cool.
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 241 Member
    What a motivating story! I was fired up reading it, and I do hope you see him again. Thank you for sharing this inspiring story with us!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Very inspirational!!!! Thanks for sharing :))
This discussion has been closed.