Hardest Thing He Ever Had To Do

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Great post! I felt the same way on a day when I really couldn't be bothered with the gym after work (I finish early on a Friday) and saw a blind girl there. If these people can do it, what's our excuse?!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    BamBam, I too would wnat to say something but would be afraid to offend. Thanks for the post. I'll remember this when I feel too tired to workout in the morning.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Definately walk with him :) And let him know that you find him to be an inspiration. If he knows he's helping others, that will inspire him to keep coming, atleast, that's how it works with my walking group anyways. Circle of inspiration complete! :)
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Wow, this seriously almost brought me to tears. What an inspiration he is.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    That is so awesome! It takes a lot of guts to walk into a gym inexperienced no matter what your size is. He is truly an inspiration.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I would've walked with him. I tend to chill with people who were initially "underdogs" in life. Everyone deserves to feel accepted and appreciated at some point. That's a great experience you shared.
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    LOVE this story. thanks for sharing. i agree with the others, definitely walk some laps with him. i hope he comes back. he'd be very lucky to have you as a friend.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Loved reading this. Good on you for writing it. Seconding, thirding, eighthing going up to talk to him / walk laps with him. *mega thumbs up*
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    This is wonderful. I would totally talk to him and tell him about MFP! Do you know how many friend requests he'd get?!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    I would've walked with him. I tend to chill with people who were initially "underdogs" in life. Everyone deserves to feel accepted and appreciated at some point. That's a great experience you shared.

hug_smiley.gif

This is why I love you guys around here!! You are so sweet!!

OP--It'd be awesome if you just walk with him next time. Let the conversation flow naturally! I agree with the person that said he probably noticed people watching him and is thinking they are thinking negative thoughts instead of inspired thoughts. Just saying HI and offering to walk with him would do wonders! :flowerforyou:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Inspiring story for sure. If you were so moved you should say something to him. Hopefully you will see him again and have the chance. Just make sure you two are alone or not somewhere he might be less inclined to talk to you. Just tell him you were so moved by his efforts and be sincere. Tell him about what you're doing and how you wished the instructors would have stopped to talk to him or help him. Tell him you didn't say anything because, like you stated here, you didn't want him to think you were being sarcastic or insincere.

Your paths crossed for a reason. Maybe you were there for him or he was there for you but now you have a chance to be there for each other! You have no idea how far those kinds words you posted here could carry him on his journey!

Thanks for sharing and I sincerely hope if you're given the chance you will tell him what you told us, and hopefully more!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Aw wow...Thank you for sharing that story..The guy is phenomenal..Way to go, guy! And way to go YOU for not judging him! Next time, maybe you can see if he wants company..you are a stand up guy for even thinking about him!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    I'm thinking about printing all of these comments and showing them to him. lol You guys are awesome. thanks for taking the time to read!!!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Great story! From my own experience, what I look like can cause alienation and lack of confidence. You are probably so correct about how much courage it took for him to walk into the gym knowing how far away from being in shape he is. Taking the first steps and shutting out the voices in his head about what people will think/say is probably one of the hardest things he has ever had to do. Perhaps he was inspired by watching The Biggest Loser show. Perhaps he has had a medical scare that caused him to make a choice to "move" or perish. Perhaps he saw You walking through the doors and said "if he can do it, I can do it too!" Maybe one day soon you'll see him at the gym and have an opportunity to introduce yourself to him/shake his hand. Sometimes just a knowing glance and a friendly face can do wonders for the soul. Thank you for your post!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Tell him to "friend" me :)
  • BamBam1113
    bump
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 702 Member
    Love this story!!! I am always much more inspired by people that feel out of their comfort zone and are working hard to make a change, it is such a struggle especially in the beginning, it takes so much courage. Let’s face it the hardest time to go into the gym is the first. Many of us are pro's at it, but we weren't when we first started. Next time, you may want to say hi to him instead of waiting for the trainers to...just a thought, he would probably love support as well.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    What a great story and what a great human you are! Get this guy to MFP! We need him and he needs us.

Thanks for posting!

Keep us up to date. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • BamBam1113
    He wasn't at the gym this morning. Hopefully he will be there tomorrow.
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    You are truly a kind soul! I hope he comes back to the gym and that you get a chance to talk to him. The world needs more people like you BamBam!
This discussion has been closed.