11 year old daughter

Options
So according to some fitness test at my daughters school she is considered obese! She is almost 5' 4" tall and she weighs about 117-120. She wears a size 9 shoe. I do know she has a tendency to eat junk food (like most kids) but she is extremely active. I have stopped buying junk but she seems to have no problems getting her hands on it. I dont plan on completely restricting her from things but I dont want her to be 36 years old on a fitness website trying to get rid of baby fat from a baby she had 6 years ago. If you know what i mean.

With that said, do any of you have any suggestions on what I can do? I dont think she is fat but she is a bit chunky but she is still growing. Please dont get the wrong impression of me. My daughter is beautiful but I am the one that is responsible for what she eats. I want to teach her better eating habits than what I was taught. She has made comments about her belly so I figure now is the perfect time to get this under control.

I also dont want her to think she is on a diet either. I kinda want to do this on the down low without her even knowing. Am i making sense? She is going grocery shopping with me but before we go were working on a list with healthy snacks that she can enjoy. I guess my question is I know kids require more calories but are there any websites out there that you all know of that I can make sure I do this the correct way?

Replies

• mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    I would ask them what scale they are using and I would discuss it with her doctor the next time you take her in. According to the BMI on this site, she is in the normal range.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Wait, what?! 5'4" and obese at 117lbs? Not buying it- what method is school using?

FWIW, I am 4' 11, barely, and I am 119lb. Do I look obese in that photo? That school would consider me obese easily...

How old is your daughter? What kind of school lunches are being provided at her school? If they are going to be measuring kids and handing out labels, they better be prepared to be a part of the solution and start providing better school meals and exercise (whether it be a good gym class or recess if in elementary)
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Make sure that the healthy lifestyle is something that your entire family takes part in. Don't make her feel singled out. Maybe a family meeting to discuss how you can all be healthier.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't restrict her calories. I would just make sure the calories she is getting, are healthy ones. More fruits, veggies & dip, more veggies for supper, lean meats etc. I wouldn't have her calorie count, especially at 11 by any means, just watch what she's putting into her body. If she didn't eat junkfood, she'd be perfectly fine, especially while growing.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    thats what I just did and it said the same. She was a bit upset when she brought home this "health & fitness" report. I think I will be making an appointment at the dr for her.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Those BMI ranges and ideal weight calculators are for adults only. To really get an idea of a healthy weight for her, I would really suggest talking to her doctor.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    GO TO THE GOVERNMENT SITE FOR THE FOOD PYRAMID AND U CAN PRINT OUT CHARTS OF SPECIFIC CALORIES AND FOOD AT THAT AGE SHE IS SUPPOSE TP EAT.I TOO HAVE AN 11 YR OLD GIRL I AM WORKING ON THIS WITH.AT THIS POINT SHE IS NOT OVERWEIGHT BUT THE WAY SHE WOULD LIKE TO EAT SHE WILL BE IN NO TIME SOO I WAS GOIN TO PRINT THOSE CHARTS OUT U SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AND LET ME KNOW
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I'm going through something similar with my two oldest teenage boys so I definitely know where you are coming from. I want them to eat better and be more active but not be on diets, they are too young to worry about that but then again, I don't want them to be obese adults because I didn't do anything about it. So, I'm open to what others say about this to.

What I've been doing with them is encouraging them to exercise with me by finding what they enjoy, like nightly jogs with me, now they do it on their own when I don't. I also replaced all their high fat snacks with low calorie could ones like the 100 calorie snacks,fat free puddings, jello, weight watchers snacks and fat free and/or reduced fat ice cream. I also have them help me make healthy meals with items they like, try http://www.mealsmatter.org/.
    Last night, we made white cake mix with diet orange crush instead of the eggs and butter into cupcakes with fat free whipped cream and they loved it.
    This has helped and in the past few months, their weight has gone down.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Is she active in sports or out playing with friends? I started with my kids by limiting the sweets (they are allowed to eat sweets still) they eat and introducing healthier snacks. Grapes instead of candy etc... Slowly they got it.. I eat healthy and they follow my lead for the most part, but they are kids. And I think Kids should be kids!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I used the CDC website to check her stats, it looks like she's high normal as far as BMI. If her feet are size 9, there's a good possibility that she still has height to gain, and when she does, her BMI will drop again. As far as eating goes, just start making meals like you'd eat for the whole family, "Cause its just easier..." Healthy habits mean way more right now than how much she weighs.

Also keep in mind that if a PE teacher isn't a coach (and depending on the state, that may not change anything), they likely have no health or fitness background, and you probably know just as much or more than them. The test may not have been administered correctly, the report may have been mis-transcribed when it was typed up, they may not be compensating for frame size, or may have assigned her the wrong frame size, etc.There's plenty of ways to screw up one of those tests. If her doctor's not worried, I wouldn't be.
  • jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think the whole BMI/obese measuring tools are ridiculous. At that height and that weight she is not obese... that's what I was when I started trying to tone up (she's even got an inch on me) and I was NOT obese, not even considered slightly heavy. I think they're probably going off of her age, which is ridiculous. I wouldn't even count calories with her. Just make sure you are providing her with proper nutrition from home. Lots of veggies and fruit, whole grain and a proper amount of protein. If she isn't getting much junk food at home and you are not providing her with money willy nilly she is not going to be gaining weight from it.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I wish my mom would have done this for me when I was a kid. Kids are so mean to each other these days, I think you need to teach her better eating habits and help her to lose some weight. Unfortunately, these days, society says that we must be thin and attractive to be worthy.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    wow.my daughter is 14.She`s 5.3 in.She is overweight,wts 179.We have been working with her and 2 drs for 4 years.We elimante the junk.Can have a treat on occassion.She knows about protion control.We struggle wit the exercise.She loves to read,but the ex is a struggle.The experts say lead by example.
    Good luck.
    I would talk to het dr about this.
    jane
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    this is a family journey. when you cook dinner, make sure everyone eats the same thing. I started doing this with my family since march. I cook grilled chicken, grilled fish, steam broccoli, and even make salads and my kiddos love it all! for snacks, i strted buying mini protein bars for them. 100 calorie packs. and on the weekends, they know thay can pick anything to eat. but they have started making better decisions themselves, for example, if they want mcdonalds, they will tell me to get them southern style chicken sandwich with fruit and walnut snack. I dont ever tell them we are on a diet. I explain to them that this a lifestyle change. That its better for all our health. good luck on your family journey.
  • dthompson9405
    Options
    by hieght and weight she ir right on target so they must be concerned for her age. but i would try buying more healthy snacks. fruits, bottled water, unsalted pretzels etc.. so when she snack like most preteens do she will only have a healthy option instead of no option at all. then she will build a craving for those type of foods. i even get the no sugar cookies and my kids cant tell the difference. Good Luck :)
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Please don't go off her BMI, I hate that number. Teach her proper nutrition, limiting the junk and keep her active. Once puberty hits her in a couple of years that baby fat is going to melt off. I would be having a serious talk with that school, I hope to God they are not telling these young women that they are obese! That is eating disorders waiting to happen. If you are truly worried contact your doctor! But I would raise hell at that school for giving that kind of info to kids
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    We have a similar thing with my step daughter, she is making comments that her belly is too big. She is just starting puberty and whilst she used to be very skinny, she is getting a little pot belly now (we have not said that to her). Because she has raised the issue we have pointed out that both her father and I are having to work hard to lose the weight we have put on due to poor food choices and tried to explain good food choices to her. Her mother has also raised a concern about her poor food choices and is trying to encourage healthier eating and exercise. Unfortunately it is a fine and difficult balance between educating and making the kid feel crappy! We only have healthy food in the house for the kids but like your daughter she gets access to cr@p at school. We force her to go outside and play on her bike or with her skipping rope, but you would honestly think by the way she acts that we were torturing her!!
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    So according to some fitness test at my daughters school she is considered obese! She is almost 5' 4" tall and she weighs about 117-120. She wears a size 9 shoe. I do know she has a tendency to eat junk food (like most kids) but she is extremely active. I have stopped buying junk but she seems to have no problems getting her hands on it. I dont plan on completely restricting her from things but I dont want her to be 36 years old on a fitness website trying to get rid of baby fat from a baby she had 6 years ago. If you know what i mean.

With that said, do any of you have any suggestions on what I can do? I dont think she is fat but she is a bit chunky but she is still growing. Please dont get the wrong impression of me. My daughter is beautiful but I am the one that is responsible for what she eats. I want to teach her better eating habits than what I was taught. She has made comments about her belly so I figure now is the perfect time to get this under control.

I also dont want her to think she is on a diet either. I kinda want to do this on the down low without her even knowing. Am i making sense? She is going grocery shopping with me but before we go were working on a list with healthy snacks that she can enjoy. I guess my question is I know kids require more calories but are there any websites out there that you all know of that I can make sure I do this the correct way?

Okay i understand.....i wish my mom had done this for me back when i only needed to lose 10 lbs when i was 10 but...... i mean okay i know she's 11 but come ON she's an INCH taller than me and im 18 and i weigh 145 which is only 5lbs into the "over weight" category........and i calculated her bmi and it says she is normal (with her age) ...... so my advice she's 11 lose weight but Don't Track it!! she's a kid her metabolism is fast sure buy healthy snacks ask her to go on a walk with you or even her friends daily tell her to go outside when she gets home from school or join an after school sport just make sure she gets an hour or more of excercise a day (school p.e doesnt count they dont really make you do anything)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the BMI on this site is for adults only, you can't use it for children.

As to what to do, I would just educate her as best you can, and encourage her when it's warranted. Never use negative reinforcement on weight control for adolescents (it never works, that's been proven).

It's a fact that children lean better through example and showing them, where as adults learn better through theory and understanding, so if you want to give your child the path to better health, show her by eating healthy yourself and including her in that, and give her the tools to learn about good health by explaining to her what the benefits are of eating healthy.

try to put it in terms she'll grasp and understand. For instance, young girls usually want to emulate some celebrity, well, find a few healthy celebrities that your daughter likes and would want to be like, see if you can find out their food and exercise programs (many of them these days publish this information either in fitness magazines, or on their own blogs), and show her this information, especially their diets and reasoning. Explain to her why diet is vital to good health and how exercise (all types) is important for having that well defined look.

That's what I'd do.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Those BMI ranges and ideal weight calculators are for adults only. To really get an idea of a healthy weight for her, I would really suggest talking to her doctor.

Exactly, those charts are intended for Adults and even then are a poor measure. she still has a ton of growth and development left.