I weight more than 500 lbs.... story inside

Options
1235»

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Trust me i was nearly 400lb and walking kills those cals SOOOOO fast it will fall of you.... :drinker:
    i started just a short walk to the end of the street and back and build it up everyday you will suprise yourself... :wink:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! lots of support here!!!
    3923d1094252491-osnn-irc-channel-irc-freenode-net-holythreadresbatman.jpg

Why resurrect an 18 month old thread?????
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    It is a start and a good one that you are here. We are all here to help. Add me. I log everyday and will help in anyway I can :smile:
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    to funny, I don't think he is on the site anymore people, but you are giving good advice to everyone else out there
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Somebody put out an APB for John. This has now gotten completely absurd. He lives on the west side of Chicago.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I read an article in Bicycling Magazine a couple of years about about a man who weighed over 500 pounds and saved himself by riding a bicycle. It can be done. I suspect it would be very easy on your joints and hope you'll think about it. As for food, you'll have to cook to eat well on your budget. There are great recipes available for low fat dishes made from beans and rice, and you'll be able to find them on line. The big key to success is exercise and portion control. You'll have to be mentally strong and determined but you can succeed. I wish you the best.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! lots of support here!!!
    3923d1094252491-osnn-irc-channel-irc-freenode-net-holythreadresbatman.jpg

Why resurrect an 18 month old thread?????

Because he recently became active again and I wanted to give him support!
  • john60644
    john60644 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well it took a few yrs but I finally did something about my weight, some would think it was a bit drastic, but drastic times call for drastic measures. I am currently on a juice reboot and have more than 62 days under my belt. My scale currently has me weighing just under 458 lbs. I want to thank everyone who offered great posts of encouragement. hope to see you on the other side :):D;)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Well, good for you! Hope you are feeling healthy and happy and do keep us posted!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Juice reboot? Why? Reboot what?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    john60644 wrote: »
    Well it took a few yrs but I finally did something about my weight, some would think it was a bit drastic, but drastic times call for drastic measures. I am currently on a juice reboot and have more than 62 days under my belt. My scale currently has me weighing just under 458 lbs. I want to thank everyone who offered great posts of encouragement. hope to see you on the other side :):D;)

Why not just eat at a deficit?
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss John!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I read an article in Bicycling Magazine a couple of years about about a man who weighed over 500 pounds and saved himself by riding a bicycle. It can be done. I suspect it would be very easy on your joints and hope you'll think about it. As for food, you'll have to cook to eat well on your budget. There are great recipes available for low fat dishes made from beans and rice, and you'll be able to find them on line. The big key to success is exercise and portion control. You'll have to be mentally strong and determined but you can succeed. I wish you the best.

That article in Bicycling is a great story. It's still available here: http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike

Cycling helped me lose 80+lbs and counting.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Less expensive whole foods -
    Rice

Frozen veggies

Oatmeal

Meat in the discount section because it will expire next day but is still good

Dry beans are cheaper than canned,just soak them

Making your own bread or most prepackaged foods (like pre cut veggies) you can make cheaper yourself.

Chili

Exercise

Start with some sitting down and moving your arms and legs. Progress into standing and using the chair as support.
    Examples:

Sitting and using small weights to work your arms. Alternate lifting legs.

Standing do low impact high knees, butt kickers, using a exercise band for arm and leg exercises.

There are a ton of workouts of YouTube, possibly some specialized. At my oldgym there is a low impact class where they sit down in chairs and do a lot of these exercises and I am sure YouTube will have something for you.

My husband bought a treadmill off craigslist for $200 and we set up a computer on it so I can work or watch tv while exercising.

Slow and steady wins the race. I think of it like a game. How can I stay under calories today? Calculating and modifying things. I promise myself I will not go to bed without exercising! So I can get it done now or I can do it when I'm dog tried and cranky at night.

You can do it!

• oludi
    oludi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Meetup.com has lots of groups for walking,exercising and weight loss support that are free. Also you can get fresh fruits and vegetables for v. Low prices at food coo pi s. Depending on where you live. Some are bountifulbaskets.org, utbanacres.com itsorganic2u.com etc.....
    Also most retail stores like frys walmart target etc have low cost exercise dvds.

I wish you well. Don't give up. Love yourself.
  • Kristyann624
    Kristyann624 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you're on Facebook check out the page, "building a new Justin." He is showing his weight loss journey starting at close to 500lbs. He's been at it for around 6 months. He's inspiring. He shows the highs and lows of what's he's going through.
  • john60644
    john60644 Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There is a documentary called "Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead", it's about a guy who is suffering from an auto immune disease and he believes this disease is worsened do to his diet. So he decides for 30 days to just drink juices 3-6 times a day consisting of 80% veggies and 20% fruits. Of course as a result he loses a lot of weight and is able to check his disease to the point where he requires almost no meds for his disease.
    You can probably find the documentary on netflix or youtube. here is his website http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/
    I have been doing it for 65 days now, starting at a weight of 515lbs or more, and my scale alternates between 451lbs to 459 lbs. I just say I 459lb for now, but I go to the doctor 3/2 and will have a better idea of how much I weigh.
    I choose this option for it fits me at this time, of course I will have to completely change my eating habits and have to a degree. I still have cravings, but compared to two months ago, I am able to check them much better. If anyone has any more questions I will be have to answer them.
    Stay positive :);)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    john60644 wrote: »
    There is a documentary called "Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead", it's about a guy who is suffering from an auto immune disease and he believes this disease is worsened do to his diet. So he decides for 30 days to just drink juices 3-6 times a day consisting of 80% veggies and 20% fruits. Of course as a result he loses a lot of weight and is able to check his disease to the point where he requires almost no meds for his disease.
    You can probably find the documentary on netflix or youtube. here is his website http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/
    I have been doing it for 65 days now, starting at a weight of 515lbs or more, and my scale alternates between 451lbs to 459 lbs. I just say I 459lb for now, but I go to the doctor 3/2 and will have a better idea of how much I weigh.
    I choose this option for it fits me at this time, of course I will have to completely change my eating habits and have to a degree. I still have cravings, but compared to two months ago, I am able to check them much better. If anyone has any more questions I will be have to answer them.
    Stay positive :);)

Congrats on your weight loss and I truly hope that you are able to sustain it long term.

HOWEVER, for most people, this weight loss would not be sustainable. It is not advisable to do a juice fast. What will you do when the juice fast is over? Are you going to drink nothing but juice for the rest of your life?

FS&ND is an extremely long juicer infomercial. It does not represent a sustainable diet for people to follow. It is not a healthy way to lose weight, and it does not teach you how to have a healthy relationship with food.

Eating at a reasonable deficit and losing at a sustainable pace is the best thing that anyone can do to lose weight.