Couch To 5K Starting June 6th, Join Please!

Options

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    What are the main differences between W1 & W2 other than the extra 30 seconds of running? Does the 30 extra seconds make a huge difference? My 5K is in July.

W2D2 done!!

But to answer your question, the 30 seconds made a big difference for me. That could be because I've never jogged before. Other than jogging for 30 seconds more, you also walk for 2 minutes. It may be a different story for you though.

Thanks, I haven't really looked past the W1. So, you run more with a longer recovery time. Should be interesting, I start W2 on Sunday.
  • khoran45
    khoran45 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Week 1 day 2! Loving it! Walk 3.5mpg and jog/run 5.5 mph. I asked my wonderful husband to please push me and motivate me to work out. All he has to do is show me those amazing eyes and ask if I wanna work out with him. I whine, but I do it! I DO IT FOR ME!!!

My right knee is hurting tho. Any suggestions. I stretch about 3 minutes before and after. Should I wear a brace or strap? I don't have the strongest knees because I'm a little bow legged, but I'm hoping they will get stronger.

(okay, whenever I say bow legged I think of M.A.S.H and Colonel Potter singing "I like to go swimmin with bow legged women and swim between their legs!) LOL!
  • ekimpton
    ekimpton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Completed W3D...um...8! but my knees and ankles are feeling better and I'm moving on to week 4 on Friday! YIPPEE! I even did an additional 2 miles walking afterwards in 30 mins!

Good job, everyone!
  • journey2size10
    Options
    W2D2 done...1.69 mile total travel time...my legs are so sore from strength training. I'm doing full body strength training 3x/week also...im wondering should I cut back on working my legs??
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I am repeating W1 that I started last week, as I am completely out of shape, and have really bad shin splints still. I can complete the jogging sections, but it's rough near the end, and I have to walk really slow to recover. Lets see how another starter week goes and I'll decide Monday what to do.
    Sounds good.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Hmm - how convenient! I completed W2D1 today - and will do day 2 tomorrow & day 3 Friday. So it looks like I'm right on track with you guys without even knowing it! I have to say - I was surprised by how challenging the bump from 60 seconds to 90 seconds was!
    Good job!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    ****************************ATTN:
    Hey, everyone!

So, most of us have completed at least one Couch To 5K workout. This week's topic is going to be TIPS/TRICKS. Do you have any tips or tricks for us that you've learned along your C25K journey? Examples: best time to run during the day, whether you eat a snack before/after, etc. Have an awesome week everyone! :bigsmile:

I HAVE to do it first thing in the morning - before ANYTHING else has the chance to get me sidetracked. I literally have workout clothes laid out on the floor next to my bed. I wake up, put them on (and brush my teeth - that starts my wake-up process), and head to the garage (I've got a treadmill).
    Good tip!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I am repeating W1 that I started last week, as I am completely out of shape, and have really bad shin splints still. I can complete the jogging sections, but it's rough near the end, and I have to walk really slow to recover. Lets see how another starter week goes and I'll decide Monday what to do.

You need to do streching exercises before and after.

Thoughts for today, W1, D4 completed

1) I can run in the rain :grumble:

2) I saw a turtle laying eggs today :love:

3) I went a further distance than I did the day before. But, it doesn't matter!!! Because, I will be running more in week 2 and going further then. :drinker:

4) I like the rhythmic sound of my feet hitting the pavement :wink:
    Great job!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I just joined MFP last week and began my C25K program this week! Doing the treadmill version only because you don't jog outside in Florida in 90 degree, 95% humidity weather...a sauna is much easier ;) Look forward to reading back through this topic when I have more time. And anyone out there on MFP looking for new friends for motivational exchanges, please, by all means send me a friend request! I REALLY want to run a 5K!
    Welcome and good luck!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I started Cto5k back in may, I completed 3 weeks, but then decided to take a rest from it. My legs would be fine while I was running, but the second I started walking, my legs would kill me. It got to the point where I couldn't even walk home from teh park after my runs. It's been a week and a half since I completed week 3, so I think tonight I might try it again. Instead of jumping back to week 3, I'm going to start up again with week 2 and see how I do. I'll prob go to the doctor if my legs are still hurting after today.
    Good job getting restarted!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Tips/Tricks that I've found helpful:

1. Eat a light snack about 1 hour before running. It gives me enough energy to power through my workout.
    2. Get a jammin' play list. The more upbeat my music, the more energy I feel. Very helpful when I'm starting to fatigue.
    3. If I exercise in the morning, I find myself being a lot more consistent. That gets it out of the way early in the day before excuses
    time to set in. However, my job is often high-stress, so working out after I get off for the day is a good way to unwind (and I also don't snipe at my dear, wonderful boyfriend when I get home all cranky from the day...can we say endorphins, anyone?)
    Awesome tips!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I just finished Week 2, Day 1 today. My leg was hurting for some reason, but I got through it. (:
    Good job!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I just finished C25K on Monday and I loved it!!! I have about 75 lbs to lose, so I didn't think I would be able to make it to all the way to week 9, but I did it. I highly recommend this program! It was one of the most empowering things I have ever done!
    Good for you! :)
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Finished week 2 day 2 today and did 2.1 miles in 33 minutes - I tried jogging today but my jog is actually slower than my walk - I think I am just not a runner. I am entered in a 5K walk on September 11th and my goal is to finish in 45 minutes or less.
    Great job! My jog is slower than my walk too.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Started C25k on june 6th :) just now found this forum woot hows everyone doing on it ?
    Great!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Staring today!
    Welcome!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Took a week off because family was in town. Starting back up today. Going to repeat week 2.
    Good job getting restarted!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    W2D2 done! Welcome melonie & angie! :smile:
    Good job getting another one done!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Aw man, I wish I saw this last week. DH (RebelBrew) and I started Monday and tonight is W1D2. I'm not really looking forward to it because it will be about 90 degrees outside but our daughter loves it....she gets to hang out in the stroller!
    It's awesome that you two are doing this together! Take plenty of water.