Couch To 5K Starting June 6th, Join Please!

Options

Replies

• chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I completed another wk3 run today...like most of you are saying, it was better than the last! My pace was down a little because I skinned a couple of toe pads on Friday in water aerobics (new pool = rough floor). My plan is to repeat wk 3 until I'm comfortable (knees/ankles) with moving on. Hoping 3 more wk 3 runs and then I should be close to on the same schedule as those that started June 6th :-).

Keep up the good work!!!
    Good job! Yeah, I'm kind of way behind everyone else. I plan to possibly repeat w1d1 so I can write down my mileage, but I'm not sure. But that's the only one I've completed, I got a little off track during last week.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Hi guys,

Started today with the c25k program. I'm a week behind because of a cut on the heel of my foot...ouch. Two things I have to change 1) go earlier in the morning...too hot; and 2) leave dog home (she stopped in mid-run and looked at me like "are you kidding me"). Also didn't quite make the 20 minute mark. Hope to do better tomorrow.

Irene
    Yay, you're finally started! Hope your foots feeling better. Your dog sounds like she'd be entertaining to run with lol. :laugh:
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Just finished w1D2 before going to work today. This is the second time I've tried this program. As is typical for me, I do really well for the first few weeks then I get in my own way and stop taking time for myself. I'm hoping that posting here and getting the support of some peers (hint, hint) will help me with the motivational factor.
    You can so do this! Good job on getting the second day completed. I'm planning on doing that workout today.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    ****************************ATTN:
    Hey, everyone!

So, most of us have completed at least one Couch To 5K workout. This week's topic is going to be TIPS/TRICKS. Do you have any tips or tricks for us that you've learned along your C25K journey? Examples: best time to run during the day, whether you eat a snack before/after, etc. Have an awesome week everyone! :bigsmile:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry that I have been so lame in posting; but, I have had visitors back-to-back and have had to restart the program this weekend.

So, pls advise me if you think this could be a problem...I walk around a lake: it's a mile to the lake, 5K around the lake and the mile back

So, I walk and warm up to the lake...when I hit the path, I start the program and do the whole 20 minutes...then just walk the rest of the way. Total time is usually 57 to 65 minutes.

Sunday: W1D1
    Monday: W1D2...I had a great workout and got further than the day before....woo hoo

I know that I am supposed to have a rest day in-between. However, I don't really feel like I need it. Any opinions???

TIPS/TRICKS
    1) Early in the morning is better
    2) Eating is better for me (I had great grains cereal, 2% milk and a banana)
    3) Leave the slow dog at home and keep the border collie with me. Walk the slow dog later for a shorter distance.
    4) Oh, and shoes are way important as well. I have different ones and I can tell the difference between the two.

@Irene, what kind of dog do you have? Would you also be improving the dog's health with this program? I have to leave the old German Shep/Husky at home d/t the 5 miles and her right leg is starting to go. She's 10 and 1/2, poor pup :ohwell:
  • journey2size10
    Options
    It's better for me to work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach...I feel light like a feather, lol

W2D1 done!
    warmup 2.5, walks 3.0, jogs 4.5-5.0, cooldown 2.5, total travel was 1.69 miles
  • KatheryneH13
    KatheryneH13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    W2D1 is done. Not as bad as week 1, so that's a plus right?

Tips/Tricks
    1. I have to do this on an emptyish stomach (I eat lunch around 1pm and I do the workout at 4pm)
    2. I focus on my breathing to get me through the last 2 runs.
    3. Ignore the people next to you on the treadmill running 7.8 while you're at 5.0 (this was me today lol)
  • madibabyxo
    madibabyxo Posts: 20
    Options
    W2D1 done! Off to a good start everyone!

My tricks:
    -Run inside (its too hot in Florida to run outside)
    -Eat 1 hour before and have a small snack about 30 minutes after
    -Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth
    -Have upbeat music to listen to!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry that I have been so lame in posting; but, I have had visitors back-to-back and have had to restart the program this weekend.

So, pls advise me if you think this could be a problem...I walk around a lake: it's a mile to the lake, 5K around the lake and the mile back

So, I walk and warm up to the lake...when I hit the path, I start the program and do the whole 20 minutes...then just walk the rest of the way. Total time is usually 57 to 65 minutes.

Sunday: W1D1
    Monday: W1D2...I had a great workout and got further than the day before....woo hoo

I know that I am supposed to have a rest day in-between. However, I don't really feel like I need it. Any opinions???

TIPS/TRICKS
    1) Early in the morning is better
    2) Eating is better for me (I had great grains cereal, 2% milk and a banana)
    3) Leave the slow dog at home and keep the border collie with me. Walk the slow dog later for a shorter distance.
    4) Oh, and shoes are way important as well. I have different ones and I can tell the difference between the two.

@Irene, what kind of dog do you have? Would you also be improving the dog's health with this program? I have to leave the old German Shep/Husky at home d/t the 5 miles and her right leg is starting to go. She's 10 and 1/2, poor pup :ohwell:
    I restarted today too. I don't think that the walk to the lake, around, and back wouldn't be a problem at all. Good tips! And good job getting the 1st two done again.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    It's better for me to work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach...I feel light like a feather, lol

W2D1 done!
    warmup 2.5, walks 3.0, jogs 4.5-5.0, cooldown 2.5, total travel was 1.69 miles
    I so did not feel like a feather when I did mine today lol. Good job today!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    W2D1 is done. Not as bad as week 1, so that's a plus right?

Tips/Tricks
    1. I have to do this on an emptyish stomach (I eat lunch around 1pm and I do the workout at 4pm)
    2. I focus on my breathing to get me through the last 2 runs.
    3. Ignore the people next to you on the treadmill running 7.8 while you're at 5.0 (this was me today lol)
    Woo hoo! Breathing is a really good one. Sometimes I have trouble with that lol.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    W2D1 done! Off to a good start everyone!

My tricks:
    -Run inside (its too hot in Florida to run outside)
    -Eat 1 hour before and have a small snack about 30 minutes after
    -Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth
    -Have upbeat music to listen to!
    Great job! And good tips! ESpecially the last one. I couldn't do this without music.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I Did It! I'm starting over on the program, since the last time I did my last workout was last Tuesday. I've only done one workout since starting, so I thought five days between the first and second was a bit much. So I'm just restarting. I got Week 1 Workout 1 done today. I warmed up and cooled down at 2.5, walked at 3.0, and jogged at 3.5. I had a really easy time of it. When 19 minutes hit, my side started hurting again. I think this time it was because I had drank way too much water during. Also, I had eaten popcorn chicken and potato wedges not 20 minutes before I did this. I felt like I was going to puke. I did this in 5 lap on the treadmill. My mileage was 1.481 and I burned 198 calories.

My tip for today: don't workout on a full stomach.
  • 1ArmyMom1
    1ArmyMom1 Posts: 94
    Options
    Week 1, day 1 done... warm up at 2.5 - 2.7, walked at 3.0 and ran at 5.0... felt great... did it after my day 11 of 30 Day Shred
  • ShannonBurdick
    Options
    heading to the gym to do W1D3! wish me luck! :)

W1D3 done! Yay me!! I have my jogging up to 60seconds and I am feeling awesome right now! :)

I think I might squeeze another W1 in before W2 starts. A little extra practice wont hurt.
    You know, I was thinking about redoing my first one. I had all my info (the time, mileage, speed) typed and then my reply wouldn't post. I want to know how many miles I did and stuff. Hmm...

Went to the gym tonight and redid W1D3. I'm not really comfortable with it so I think I'm going to repeat Week 1. I will be behind you guys but still hanging in there! :)
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I really like the breathing aspect of the TIPS...thanks, I will also concentrate on that as well :bigsmile:

I run on a path, so, I prefer not to listen to music...I like to keep my senses about me...I grew up in Chicago and like to know what's around me :ohwell:
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Week 1, day 1 done... warm up at 2.5 - 2.7, walked at 3.0 and ran at 5.0... felt great... did it after my day 11 of 30 Day Shred
    Great job!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    heading to the gym to do W1D3! wish me luck! :)

W1D3 done! Yay me!! I have my jogging up to 60seconds and I am feeling awesome right now! :)

I think I might squeeze another W1 in before W2 starts. A little extra practice wont hurt.
    You know, I was thinking about redoing my first one. I had all my info (the time, mileage, speed) typed and then my reply wouldn't post. I want to know how many miles I did and stuff. Hmm...

Went to the gym tonight and redid W1D3. I'm not really comfortable with it so I think I'm going to repeat Week 1. I will be behind you guys but still hanging in there! :)
    Good job knowing what's best for you!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I really like the breathing aspect of the TIPS...thanks, I will also concentrate on that as well :bigsmile:

I run on a path, so, I prefer not to listen to music...I like to keep my senses about me...I grew up in Chicago and like to know what's around me :ohwell:
    lol.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    6/12 Sunday: W1D1
    6/13 Monday: W1D2
    6/14 Tuesday: W1D3...hard to get up and get it done today...but, I did it :drinker:

Notes to self:

1) Make sure to, ummm, well...eliminate, before running
    2) Finishing is key...not how far you make it