Is it fair to fine fat people for not dieting?

Options
LeeKetty1176
LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
just saw this on the BBC website and thought it would be an interesting chat to have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13397306

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Only if they start fining those who get too drunk, those who smoke, those who stand next to people who smoke, those whose parents smoked around them, those whose mothers drank while pregnant, those who take drugs recreationally etc etc.

Basically if you fine one "drain on society" then you fine them all or it's discrimination.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think it is fair to fine a person for being overweight or for smoking. After all we have the right to make those choices...however, refusing to follow a dr's advice is expensive to the tax payer. So perhaps instead of fining them it would be better to lower the coverage of person who refuses to comply...but then, in order to do that, they would have to provide couseling to help people stop their self destruction. Smoking cessation classes and eating disorders can be expensive.... So, I guess, my opinion is its wrong, but I see their point?! LOL
  • wannabskinny85
    Options
    Fine those who cheat, lie, who wear makeup in a tacky fashion, who have bad breath and fuzzy hair. If they are fined then sure fine my fat butt too!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You know, I've thought about this. Don't get me wrong. I've overweight and I believe that sometimes, you need a little kick in the rear to get moving. And as for people who have the coverage, why not use it? And for the incentives, I would love some. Haha.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Only if they start fining those who get too drunk, those who smoke, those who stand next to people who smoke, those whose parents smoked around them, those whose mothers drank while pregnant, those who take drugs recreationally etc etc.

Basically if you fine one "drain on society" then you fine them all or it's discrimination.

They do it is called taxes... go buy a pack of smokes here in NYC. $11 a pack (glad I do not smoke them) I told the guy in line he should just go buy some weed instead. How about that bottle of Jack Daniels... almost half of the cost comes in the way of taxes and liquor licenses. Moral of the story... government is going to get their money from you.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Only if we can fine people for saying stupid *kitten* around me. I feel it's an assault on my ears and want to take action. Also, we should start fining people who come up with stupid *kitten* ways to fine people. If they can't put their energy into making a positive environment, then they should be"fined".
  • LeeKetty1176
    Options

now thats a dam bloody good point ! but where does that stop?? does that not feed a "blame" culture ?
  • LeeKetty1176
    Options
    Only if we can fine people for saying stupid *kitten* around me. I feel it's an assault on my ears and want to take action. Also, we should start fining people who come up with stupid *kitten* ways to fine people. If they can't put their energy into making a positive environment, then they should be"fined".

or at the very least run over
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The fine would only be $50 a year. I don't think this is enough insentive to motivate people. Added to that, weight loss is mental. You have to want it. If you don't want to change yourself, you're not going to try just b/c someone else thinks you should.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options

now thats a dam bloody good point ! but where does that stop?? does that not feed a "blame" culture ?

I don't think people should be fined for doing behaivor that is legal...I think though that the society at large shouldn't have to pay for said lifestyle
  • wannabskinny85
    Options
    Well, I don't think it is fair to fine a person for being overweight or for smoking. After all we have the right to make those choices...however, refusing to follow a dr's advice is expensive to the tax payer. So perhaps instead of fining them it would be better to lower the coverage of person who refuses to comply...but then, in order to do that, they would have to provide couseling to help people stop their self destruction. Smoking cessation classes and eating disorders can be expensive.... So, I guess, my opinion is its wrong, but I see their point?! LOL

What about the people on certain medications who gain weight or people who find it hard to lose after having babies or ppl who suffer depression and eat a lot its not fair to reduce their coverage on insurance if we look at them and assume they don't comply
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Options

What about the people on certain medications who gain weight or people who find it hard to lose after having babies or ppl who suffer depression and eat a lot its not fair to reduce their coverage on insurance if we look at them and assume they don't comply

Wouldn't this be noted by the doctor?
  • CatchThatKitten
    Options
    Too many loopholes...instead of targeting the people, why don't we target the education and the production of food. If all we have are healthy choices to make, we'll make them. Drop the prices on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts, lean meats and the like and tax the bajeebus out of things that have no nutritional value (like soda, ramen noodles, twinkies, etc). Of course, you'll always have the people who buy the junk anyway (there is no way I would live my life without macaroni and cheese, no matter how expensive it is!), but I'll bet there'll be a lot more healthy people. Like it or not, people have the RIGHT to be fat, and sometimes have no choice. But if we stop treating healthy, and organic!, food like it was a foreign thing, I think that it would really help.
  • Misty1777
    Misty1777 Posts: 29
    Options
    Maybe it shouldn't be so much in fining the people who are overweight at rewarding the people to exercise, eat right and take care of themselves. I rarely go to the Dr. and am not on any kind of maintenance medications. Why should I have to pay the same insurance premiums as others who do not take care of themselves. Maybe if you reward people by offering them a discount for good behavior that might help.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    Too many loopholes...instead of targeting the people, why don't we target the education and the production of food. If all we have are healthy choices to make, we'll make them. Drop the prices on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts, lean meats and the like and tax the bajeebus out of things that have no nutritional value (like soda, ramen noodles, twinkies, etc). Of course, you'll always have the people who buy the junk anyway (there is no way I would live my life without macaroni and cheese, no matter how expensive it is!), but I'll bet there'll be a lot more healthy people. Like it or not, people have the RIGHT to be fat, and sometimes have no choice. But if we stop treating healthy, and organic!, food like it was a foreign thing, I think that it would really help.

Excellent point made here!!!!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Options

The first lady has been doing that. She has been trying to get vending machines out of the public schools and to have meals from restaurants given in smaller portions. I do agree that the prices in the stores on fresh produce should be dropped, but good luck with that. Gas prices are outrageous and so much other prices. But where do we go from here? What about when we go home? We are the only ones able to control what we put in our mouth and if we get off the couch and exercise.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Maybe it shouldn't be so much in fining the people who are overweight at rewarding the people to exercise, eat right and take care of themselves. I rarely go to the Dr. and am not on any kind of maintenance medications. Why should I have to pay the same insurance premiums as others who do not take care of themselves. Maybe if you reward people by offering them a discount for good behavior that might help.

This.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The artical is for people in america who are getting welfare and state aid.These people get free medical,many of these people do not work because of there weight so they get money and food stamps and free health care.Paid for by me and my husband and all the others in the us that pay taxes.im paying for people to get health care yet I cant afford it for myself. I would gladly pay a 50 dollar a year fine if it ment everything else for free.
    and in the artical they are talking about fining smokers also.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options

Wouldn't this be noted by the doctor?

So people without insurance would then have to pay a doctor to get a note for the judge to avoid a fine from the government. What would be the standards then? If I lose 30 lbs, but still have 20 to go...would I be fined until I met what the government says is my goal weight? So Big Brother could basically set down a flat weight everyone needs to be at and collect until they reach it? Then we can all wear the same clothes so we don't get clothing fines. We should also probably read the same books, because the uneducated would be fined. Also, there's that whole religion thing. There are a few people out there with different faiths that could pay in $50 til they convert. Oh...and the unemployed. If they're not working like everyone else..fine them til they're like everyone else.
    The list goes on and on until we all resemble a really bad made for SyFy movie on a Tuesday night.
  • LeeKetty1176
    Options
    the point about cheaper fresh veg and fruit is a dam good one !

its faster and CHEAPER to buy crap!

Over here and I am sure in the states, shops only sell "perfect" veg and fruit.... you go to someplace like Spain...... its all sold regardless of what it looks like, and its cheaper.

is it to EASY to over eat or eat **** ?