When or why did you say enough is enough!?!

Options
124»

Replies

• writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    SHALLO I love Bob's Burgers!

Me too! One of the funniest shows, besides Modern Family and Cougar Town !:heart:
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I had to "un-tag" myself from a pic on FB. But then I thought, oh crap, people already see that when they see me. How did that happen? I had to be honest with myself. I had to buy pants THE biggest size I had ever worn, but I could convince myself that the pants in the size I thought I wore that were too small, were just "cut wrong".

So I changed, well I am still "changing" but I gave up the ttgnst hat goot me to that point.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    When I didn't recognize the person in pictures or mirror. Felt like my self confidence was destroyed. My pride lost. And to ashamed to see people from my past because of what I had become. It was either go into hiding or reclaim myself. Fck hiding.
  • carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My step-daughters 21st, my lowest point in terms of depression and self esteem after a tough few years. Got totally off my rocker and couldn't get out of bed the next day. I knew something had to change and soon. Then came the photos from the 21st and they were hideous - I had ballooned from over-eating and drinking too much to self medicate and hadn't even realised. I was at my heaviest weight and lowest point I had ever been. I knew that exercise helped depression so I got up and just started running something I had discovered I loved a couple of years prior. Then I reintroduced myself to Fitness Pal. Now I have a good balance, I know that sometimes it's ok to have a break (like when you're on vacation!) but exercise and eating well has become a lifeline as well as a lifestyle for me.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic...I think I may write a blog about this..

One of the reasons...

The summer before I decided to change my lifestyle, I went to my father in laws house...we walked over to the neighbors to play cards at the picnic table....I thought nothing of it and sat down...The seat cracked straight down the middle..I broke the picnic table...I was MORTIFIED
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    This is a great topic...I think I may write a blog about this..

One of the reasons...

The summer before I decided to change my lifestyle, I went to my father in laws house...we walked over to the neighbors to play cards at the picnic table....I thought nothing of it and sat down...The seat cracked straight down the middle..I broke the picnic table...I was MORTIFIED

Oh, girl! I broke 3 of our plastic lawn chairs last summer! It happened in the privacy of my own backyard but was still a big stab at my self esteem.

Last year I was at the St. Louis Zoo, we were at an indoor play area and I went to stand on a wooden balance board - it snapped under my weight. When I looked up to see if anyone had noticed, there was a lady standing about 5 feet away with a "tisk tisk" kind of look on her face, shaking her head. I will never be the big girl breaking the chairs and toys, again.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Amazing stories! So glad you all shared! I am very great full to meet you all and wish you the best of luck!
  • curlgirl_03
    curlgirl_03 Posts: 49
    Options
    I have a few...

I was preparing for mu surgery and I had to get weighed in.. the scale read 185 and I could NOT believe my eyes.. That was the most I've ever weighed..

I couldn't fit any more of my jeans and had to buy a size 15... (now back to a size 10 and still going down hopefully)

One of my relatives asked me if I was "expecting" <---- THAT RIGHT THERE DID IT FOR ME!! How dare she!!??
  • Jizes318
    Options
    I have a few...

I was preparing for mu surgery and I had to get weighed in.. the scale read 185 and I could NOT believe my eyes.. That was the most I've ever weighed..

I couldn't fit any more of my jeans and had to buy a size 15... (now back to a size 10 and still going down hopefully)

One of my relatives asked me if I was "expecting" <---- THAT RIGHT THERE DID IT FOR ME!! How dare she!!??

SOMEONE ASKED ME ONCE WHILE RUBBING MY BELLY. I WAS MORTIFIED BUT LAUGHED IT OFF. I RUBBED MY BELLY AND SAID YEA A BEER BELLY. NEVER AGAIN!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A few reasons..

Saying no to going swimming with my son because I couldn't imagine being in public my swimming gear.

Thinking I looked ok standing up but then catching sight of myself in the mirror sitting on the edge of my bed - and there were just fat rolls everywhere. I look like one of those KONG dog toys..

Untagging myself on too many pics or instructing people to only take them of my head or when my dogs are in front of me!

Realising that the clothes sizes weren't mean, I really WAS that bigger size.

Not wanting to be the fattest girl at the wedding/ reunion/party and buying clothes I want, not just clothes that disguise me.

It's been an accumulation of these and other things that finally made me sort myself out. This site is AMAZING.
  • bassman2019
    bassman2019 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me it had to be when I was looking at the pictures of my son's christening back in January. I was in disbelief no way that could be me, I knew I was getting big, but wow. I hopped on the scale and sure enough I was just a few pounds shy of 300, a number I never in my wildest dreams thought I would reach. My oldest , now 5 started T-ball this spring and is getting increasingly more active and I always saw myself as the type of father who would go outside and run around with them, teach them all about sports, fishing, etc., but that wasn't going to happen if I didn't have the energy to get my butt off the couch.
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've ALWAYS been heavy. As long as I can remember I've been a "fat kid".

My major motivator was a 'Planet Fitness' opening near my neighborhood. My excuse was always that gyms are so expensive, well for $10 a month I couldn't use that anymore. I went and checked it out before they opened and they were gonna give me the sales pitch. I stopped them before they started and said "I'm a fat kid, I need to work out"

Although I never realized how fat I was until the pounds started dropping. I was in size 40 pants, 2XL shirts and thought nothing of it. Over the course of a year I've gone to 33/34 pants and a medium dress shirt/large t-shirt. I'm waiting for a clearance to run again to get back into my weight-loss regiment!
  • Jizes318
    Options
    I've ALWAYS been heavy. As long as I can remember I've been a "fat kid".

My major motivator was a 'Planet Fitness' opening near my neighborhood. My excuse was always that gyms are so expensive, well for $10 a month I couldn't use that anymore. I went and checked it out before they opened and they were gonna give me the sales pitch. I stopped them before they started and said "I'm a fat kid, I need to work out"

Although I never realized how fat I was until the pounds started dropping. I was in size 40 pants, 2XL shirts and thought nothing of it. Over the course of a year I've gone to 33/34 pants and a medium dress shirt/large t-shirt. I'm waiting for a clearance to run again to get back into my weight-loss regiment!

Good for you! No more fat kid. Congrats!
  • kirsteinm
    kirsteinm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have always been healthy at whatever weight I am. No diabetes or high blood pressure although both runs in my family. No doctor has ever even suggested that there was a problem... So, I have fooled myself to thinking, "Sure, I would love to look better in clothes (or out of them) but being healthy is what it's all about, right?" Besides my husband loves me... all of me. Right?

My pink cloud shattered when my freaking back went out and during physical therapy the doctor said those dreaded words "if you lost some weight..." I didnt even hear what came after it. All I could think was, "Son of a *****, I'm fat!" So my journey began that day in May, 2011.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I never had any real defining moment. I was a chubby SAHM who had a very sedentary lifestyle. One day I was thinking of reduvcing my "footprint" on the earth when I realized that I was driving my kids to a school that was 1 mile away from our home. If I walked it would be a mere 2 miles a day and I'd reduce some of my contribution if I walked them to school - plus I'd get to spend some time with the boys. So I did that.

A couple of weeks later, I got an issue of Fitness magazine or something dumb like that. I was a SAHM so I was great at finding free stuff on the internet. I was reading and I thought, "I've been walking for 2 weeks now and I haven't lost weight at all." It disappointed me a little. I never thought my diet was THAT bad. But I saw that they had some simple mathematical equation to determine how many calories I was eating per day (same as the calculator here). Then it said all I had to do was reduce my intake by 250 if I wanted to lose 1/2lb every week, or 500 for 1lb. So I was like, that's easy enough.

I started logging my calories, determined what would be 500 calories fewer than that, stuck to it, and the rest is history. I lost 35lb in total. Going back to college and eating the convenient foods and sleeping odd hours changed things a bit and I gained 14lb back. I've since lost 10 of those 14 and wish to lose an additional 10. My goal now is to do that plus get super fit. I recently saw a REALLY shiddy picture of myself at this weight and that was all I needed to see. Ew.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I've always been a bit chubby, but 4 yrs ago I lost 80 lbs and kept it off until a couple years ago. I gained a few pounds, so I started working out and was almost to my goal when some things happened. I was really depressed over personal matters and ate to fill the void. I ended up gaining 20 lbs. So basically the moment was when my 'fat' jeans started getting tight and I couldn't wear the clothes I loved. I refuse to go back to double digits.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i think my defining moment was when i was at a family get together and i looked around and all my cousins, aunts, uncles and their kids are obese! I kept thinking to myself dang im glad i dont look like them.

So i guess it had to be a picture of myself that i saw but i was 135 pounds in 1999. I looked in the mirror and was looking like my cousins. I started having knee troubles and just feeling tired all the time. I had serious muffin top and my face was fat! I hated what i saw in the mirro.

I decided no more. So i joined the next series of ww at work and i lost 20 pounds.

Still need to lose 20 more! Im so ready to be 135 again. It was way more fun!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    When I couldn't stand not being able to look at myself in the mirror.
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    High school reunion, June 2010. 25 years after HS and my best friends were size 0's, 1's and 2's, and there I was a size 6. Okay granted they never had kids, but still.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For me it was also a picture but it was a picture of me from a couple of years ago when I was still tan and thin and exercising everyday. I saw it and thought, wow, I was never happy with my appearance and thought that size 3 was too big and I see it now and I looked great!! Then I pulled up pics from recently and thought UGH. Time to get my fat butt off the I'm depressed and stuffing my face chair and back out on the track! :)