Vegetarians or Vegans or even Wannabees Wanna Group?

Options

Replies

• desertcats
    desertcats Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'd like to start giving some tips that work for me.

#1 Be prepared - Always, always, always have lots of fresh veggies in the house. I buy organic baby spinach, coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage), peppers, carrots, bananas, fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, blueberries, (whatever is in season) at Sam's Club a few times a week. We can go through one of those big (1 pound) tubs of baby spinach in a few days. I hate to throw good food in the compost pile, so I prepare my meals around what's fresh, ripe and available.

#2 Plan each meal around a high fiber bulky food option. If you start your day with a bulky breakfast, you won't tend to be as hungry later in the day.
    Breakfast:
    Pineapple/banana/blueberry fruit salad with homemade granola (or store bought if you can find a good one).
    Cantaloupe/blueberries/banana with buckwheat groats & soy milk. (I sprout my own hulled buckwheat and use some fresh and dry the rest.)
    Oatmeal, cinnamon & banana with a little soy milk.
    Today I had Pineapple with Soy Silk Yogurt and some granola on top. Yummy after my run!

Lunch or Dinner:
    Fill a large bowl with about 2 cups of chopped Spinach and about 2 cups of chopped coleslaw mix and 1/2 cup of beans. You can do so much with this and it's easy to keep on hand. Change the beans and dressings and add a few more choice veggies to make totally different meals.

White beans with Italian dressing, peppers, shredded carrots, etc.
    Black beans with salsa and cashew nut dressing, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
    Adzuki beans (Asian red beans) with sesame oil/soy sauce/garlic/chili garlic sauce dressing, cucumber, peppers, peanuts
    A vegan garden burger with ketchup/mustard/relish dressing, onions, tomatoes, etc.

We try not to use to much 'processed' foods, but it can't always be helped. Sometimes we just have 1/2 a steamed cauliflower or equal amount of steamed broccoli and a vegan burger type product for dinner. We just discovered some 'certified vegan' products at Albertsons made by 'gardein'. www.gardein.com. The chick'n scallopini is pretty good!

SNACKS:
    Adamami
    100 calorie popcorn

Can't wait to hear more suggestions from everyone else!
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I've been a vegetarian/pescetarian for about 20 years.
  • ladybugh
    ladybugh Posts: 14
    Options
    Yup, I'm in. I think a group would be great.

I am in Ottawa, Canada.

(and have been a vegetarian since '97)
  • ladybugh
    ladybugh Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a year, and almost a vegan, if I could just kick cheese! I've never been a fan of meat or milk/eggs, so this lifestyle hasn't been too difficult to adapt to. But cheese is hard to completely eliminate. Seems like it's on everything! I'd love to get some ideas from everyone on this thread!

This is exactly where I am at. I was vegan for awhile but it was just easier for meals with extended family and for travelling if I ate cheese every now again. We don't use eggs at all (p.s. Kingsmill Egg Replacer powder is a wonderful product for baking).
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    So great to read through these posts and get new ideas and tips! :flowerforyou:

Went to Trader Joe's the other day and last night had pasta with their vegan meatballs and low sodium marinara... it was delicious! Today will be a huge salad with lots of veggies, black beans, and a tofu burger cut into strips on top. mmmm....
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! Just started eating vegetarian this week! In the meantime it is forcing me to learn how to cook, lol. I used to just live on plain chicken/fish and veggies but it has always been in the back of my head to become vegetarian. So I am officially making the leap.

Have you guys seen Forks Over Knives? I posted some videos on my Facebook page. I can't wait to see it.

I look forward to chatting!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    hey all! for all the 'wannabes' and this includes me cause im so new to it, watch Earthlings. Google it, you can watch it for free online. It converted me months ago, I now can't stomach meat. When I smell it it smells like murder, not yummy food!
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    hey all! for all the 'wannabes' and this includes me cause im so new to it, watch Earthlings. Google it, you can watch it for free online. It converted me months ago, I now can't stomach meat. When I smell it it smells like murder, not yummy food!

OMG - couldn't even get through it. That's what pushed me over the edge. It started for health reasons but I get upset when my kid's pet fish or hermit crab dies. I was just kidding myself pretending it was OK to eat animals because I didn't actually SEE them killed. Ugg.

Anyway, not to get too far off track - I just look forward to this new journey! :)
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Veggie here, always interested in tips and recipes.
  • desertcats
    desertcats Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you're on the fence watch 'Earthlings' and Sir Paul McCartney "If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls..." (13 minutes on YouTube). Both are basically unwatchable if you are a compassionate earthling, but I watched some, and listened to the rest (almost as hard), just so I can reaffirm WHY I'm Vegan.

I was also vegetarian/vegan for health reasons. My doctor told me, "You're just one of those people that can't lower their cholesterol without medication." I proved her WRONG by going Vegan and reducing my protein intake. People don't realize that protein can raise your cholesterol too (read 'The China Study' by T Colin Campbell, and 'Eat To Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman).

@ElaineKatko, I'm going to look up Forks Over Knives! Thanks!

I grew up eating lots of cheese. My mother thought it was a spice. LOL Once you get used to not using it, you kind of forget about it. Do a Google search for creamy nut butter dressings that use soy milk. I'll post my recipe below. I use this kind of like a sour cream on taco salad.

Cashew or Almond Butter Dressing (2 servings)
    2 tablespoons cashew or almond butter
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    garlic powder
    1/4 cup soy milk

Mix it all together in a small food processor. If you want to stretch this and make more, use more soy milk to thin it. If it's too thin, add some flax meal to thicken.

Egg Replacer? If I want to make a banana bread or other quick bread, I use flax meal. It gives it a nutty flavor and works great for baking and pancakes.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To add onto desertcats post, which is wonderful and full of great tips - you can also use applesauce as an egg replacer when baking; it offers the same consistency and is quite suitable in every recipe I've ever made that included eggs. Nutritional yeast is also a good cheese replacer when baking/cooking new recipes, and then of course soy cheese if you want something that resembles the more traditional dairy cheese. Although I find soy cheese very good, I'll admit that I haven't (yet) found a soy cheese that fooled me into thinking it was dairy cheese. If you guys have any great suggestions for soy cheese, I'd love to hear them. :)
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm all about a veggie group! I've been a vegetarian for about 7 and a half years and was a vegan for a short time. I had to give up the vegan kick, though, as I was a freshman in college with nothing more than a microwave and mini-fridge..and of course no money. :tongue:
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    im in too :) Since sticking to a vegetarian diet I have gotten to learn so much and tried so many new and wonderful foods I might not have tried before
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    ohh.. I'm vegetarian too! Count me in..:happy:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any tips for veggies, like...what not to eat

for example, gelatin is meat
    and some pies and pastries use animal lard

but i still make mistakes from time to time, like apparently hot and sour soup isn't a veggie base, i thought it was since they used tofu! i still need to look that one up. but anything not to eat is always good to hear too
  • samanthaishealthy
    Options
    new vegetarian actually just started easing into it ! And am going full out starting tomorrow
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Samantha!!!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any tips for veggies, like...what not to eat

for example, gelatin is meat
    and some pies and pastries use animal lard

but i still make mistakes from time to time, like apparently hot and sour soup isn't a veggie base, i thought it was since they used tofu! i still need to look that one up. but anything not to eat is always good to hear too

Since you just said "veggie," I wasn't sure if you were vegetarian or vegan, so I included dairy stuff too. Sorry! D: Hopefully some of this list is helpful though - I just listed stuff off the top of my head that I'm so used to looking for now, but I would be interested in hearing what others might have to add.

-Geletain (like you said), including a lot of gel-capsules if you take vitamins of any sort, unless they specifically state vegetarian friendly.
    -Noodles or soups in restaurants or even canned - a lot of them use beef or chicken broths, so make sure you ask or check the ingredients.
    -Fried food in restaurants (same as the soups or pastas, some use animal flavoring - make sure to ask).
    -Some wines & beers include an ingredient called "isinglass" that comes from fish.
    -Lard.
    -Vitamin D3 is animal-derived, whereas D2 is plant derived.
    -Casein, whey, rennet (all animal dairy products).
    -Dry pasta (may contain egg).
    -Mayonnaise (may contain egg).

Those are some of the bigger ones off the top of my head, but there's a really thorough list here:
    http://www.happycow.net/health-animal-ingredients.html

That's a bit more than I could probably ever remember, but luckily most vegan or vegetarian friendly products usually state that they are free from animal products. There's also a pocket guide that you can download and print, in case you're ever unsure and wanna check on an ingredient.
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Welcome Samantha..........its a whole new world of taste! Remember cravings? You can expect cravings for fresh!