Vegetarians or Vegans or even Wannabees Wanna Group?

Options

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    -Some wines & beers include an ingredient called "isinglass" that comes from fish.
    -Lard.
    - on an ingredient.

wow did not know that about wine...but I am still researching and learning.....thanks for the info!
  • yarngoddess13
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MyFitnessPal and after reading the Skinny ***** books two months ago i became a vegan I would love to get more help and tips on how to get the extra protien and calcium in my diet!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options

The Quinoa and Black Bean Chili sounds really good! I have most of the ingredients, so I may give it a try tonight... thanks for the suggestion! :)

A lot of my meals have been quick lately, but I actually managed to cook this morning and made some delicious vegan pumpkin pie pancakes: http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-pumpkin-pie-pancakes-304177
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ate some pre-marinated coconut curry tempeh last night. Not so sure I'm a big fan, but I bought 3 more packaged (one is garlic something and two are plain tempeh) so I guess I have time to try it out different ways. Just printed out a recipe for tempeh bacon!

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10560?section=
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    Pickycook.com is my new favorite thing in the world. We made this one night before last and had leftovers again yesterday. It was sooooo good and beautifully colorful! We made a different mushroom gravy, but the herb roasted veggies were delicious and pretty low-cal.

http://pickycook.com/maincourse/herbspiceroastedvegetableswithredwinemushroomgravy.aspx
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Pickycook.com is my new favorite thing in the world. We made this one night before last and had leftovers again yesterday. It was sooooo good and beautifully colorful! We made a different mushroom gravy, but the herb roasted veggies were delicious and pretty low-cal.

http://pickycook.com/maincourse/herbspiceroastedvegetableswithredwinemushroomgravy.aspx

Thanks, just bookmarked her blog!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ate some pre-marinated coconut curry tempeh last night. Not so sure I'm a big fan, but I bought 3 more packaged (one is garlic something and two are plain tempeh) so I guess I have time to try it out different ways. Just printed out a recipe for tempeh bacon!

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10560?section=

Oh you so have to try tempeh "Tuna" salad.. delish! I have the recipe in my blog. It's taken from Alicia Silverstone's cook
  • Niveous
    Options
    Oh you so have to try tempeh "Tuna" salad.. delish! I have the recipe in my blog. It's taken from Alicia Silverstone's cook

Just looked at the recipe, and I am DEFINITELY trying that. :) How'd you like the Kind Diet overall, by the way? I was looking at it a while ago and thought about buying it, but ultimately purchased Vegan Planet instead. I would've bought both if I wasn't strapped for cash so much lately. :P
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm in Hamilton, Ontario and I am a vegetarian too!! I'm interested!
  • IceGodess
    IceGodess Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a new vegan. I just started 3 days ago and am loving the new found energy. I had tried years ago, I never was one who liked the taste of most meat, but everyone kept saying I'd not get enough nutrients and stuff plus being a vegetarian back then was very expensive and hard to find good tasting stuff. I also was a single mom raising 3 boys so it just wasn't practical. My boys are now grown up and I just support myself. I saw this ad on Facebook one day for a movie called " Fork and Knife" or something like that. I looked it up and started reading, browsed more websites, looked up some more things and finally downloaded the book "21-day Weight Loss Kickstart" by Neal D. Barnard. I read it and then got some apps for my iPod and here I am. I'm taking the 21 day challenge but I'm already sure this is going to be a lifetime thing for me.

I have one question. I'm having issues with dizziness and being lightheaded. I'm drinking enough, I'm almost sure I'm getting my needed vitamins since I do take a supplement, so is this just my body getting rid of the toxins a meat diet has put in my body or is it something I need to be worried about? Or is it because eating plant based foods my calorie intake is much lower than my body is used to?
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It could be a combo of your body cleansing/removing toxins and the lower calorie intake. I didn't check your journal, but I would be sure to track my food for a while so that you can start to identify your caloric intake. You could also show it to a nutritionist, if need be, in the future.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegan. I just started 3 days ago and am loving the new found energy. I had tried years ago, I never was one who liked the taste of most meat, but everyone kept saying I'd not get enough nutrients and stuff plus being a vegetarian back then was very expensive and hard to find good tasting stuff. I also was a single mom raising 3 boys so it just wasn't practical. My boys are now grown up and I just support myself. I saw this ad on Facebook one day for a movie called " Fork and Knife" or something like that. I looked it up and started reading, browsed more websites, looked up some more things and finally downloaded the book "21-day Weight Loss Kickstart" by Neal D. Barnard. I read it and then got some apps for my iPod and here I am. I'm taking the 21 day challenge but I'm already sure this is going to be a lifetime thing for me.

I have one question. I'm having issues with dizziness and being lightheaded. I'm drinking enough, I'm almost sure I'm getting my needed vitamins since I do take a supplement, so is this just my body getting rid of the toxins a meat diet has put in my body or is it something I need to be worried about? Or is it because eating plant based foods my calorie intake is much lower than my body is used to?

you need you need you need to be sure you are getting protein!!!!
    also, maybe take a b12 supplement

i eat so many eggs, but since you are doing the vegan thing have every kind of nut on hand and beans.... and google vegetable protein

if you are willing to eat animal products, yogurt, and cheese are both great as well
  • Niveous
    Options

Are your calories drastically lower than they were prior to your vegan diet? If that's the case, it could just be the sudden change to your caloric intake - definitely make sure you're getting enough fuel for your body. :) Also, are there any new foods in your diet that you haven't had before? Food allergies can cause headaches as well. My initial advice would've been to make sure that you're definitely getting enough water since many headaches stem from being dehydrated, but since you stated that you're getting adequate water and vitamins, I'm at a bit of a loss. However, I did just read a thread the other day asking the exact same question about headaches and a newly vegetarian/vegan diet. There were some suggestions on this thread that might prove useful to you. I at least hope you find something on there that will maybe help - headaches are no fun! D:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/249062-headaches-vegetarianism?hl=vegetarianism/headache#posts-3293236
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
  • IceGodess
    Options
    I'm using the my fitness pal app for my iPod so I know I'm getting enough protein and all the other important nutrients. Plus I do take a vitamin AND B12.

Sorry! this is in reply to loathesome.........
    I couldn't figure out how to copy.:laugh:
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    :smile: I in! i have been veggie since 1993. i have loved it - it is healthy and compassionate. lately, i have been on a no-heavily-processed foods diet - no cron syrup or glycol, dyes, etc... that is very hard! and it takes longer to cook stuff sometimes, but i have been maintaining weight rather than gaining on it. i am new to this site and want now to lose weight!
  • IceGodess
    Options

Are your calories drastically lower than they were prior to your vegan diet? If that's the case, it could just be the sudden change to your caloric intake - definitely make sure you're getting enough fuel for your body. :) Also, are there any new foods in your diet that you haven't had before? Food allergies can cause headaches as well. My initial advice would've been to make sure that you're definitely getting enough water since many headaches stem from being dehydrated, but since you stated that you're getting adequate water and vitamins, I'm at a bit of a loss. However, I did just read a thread the other day asking the exact same question about headaches and a newly vegetarian/vegan diet. There were some suggestions on this thread that might prove useful to you. I at least hope you find something on there that will maybe help - headaches are no fun! D:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/249062-headaches-vegetarianism?hl=vegetarianism/headache#posts-3293236

well after reading all that I think its just the change in eating. I'm going from a woman who ate alot of take out/fast food (well about 50/50) to one who is now trying to eat the least processed, plant based food possible. I really don't like cooking for myself, thus the reason I was eating out so much. When I did cook at home it was sorta healthy, at least I thought it was until I read the 21 days book. I really haven't added anything new.......just got rid of all animal products and no fast food and increased the good plant based food that I already was eating. Though now that I'm thinking, I've really increased my eating of fruit( never was much of a fruit eater) but would that cause the dizziness/light headedness/ headaches? Maybe its the crystal light? I don't like the taste of my water, its well water, so I drink crystal light in it.
  • desertcats
    desertcats Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots going on over here! Welcome newbies! :flowerforyou: Great to see more people going to a vegan diet.

@IceGodess, You should ask your doctor about the dizzyness and headaches. There are so many variables and we're not allowed to give out medical advice here. :wink: I get lighheaded sometimes, but it's from my low blood pressure. It seems to happen more frequently when I have a calorie deficit.

Regarding protein and a vegan diet -- If you're eating enough high-nutrient veggies and beans, you should not be having problems due to a lack of protein. I have muscles and I do intense workouts too. Check out this great article about Dr Furhman's book, Eat To Live here: http://www.earthsave.org/news/03summer/eat2live.htm (I think you'll have to paste it in your browser). It says, "He makes the point that 100 CALORIES (not grams) of a green vegetable contain dramatically more protein than 100 CALORIES of meat. 100 calories of vegetable is about one pound, whereas 100 calories of meat is about one ounce." Also, "Animal protein raises cholesterol; plant protein lowers it."

I'm living proof that if you reduce (or eliminate) your animal protein intake, you'll lower your cholesterol without medication! :smile:
    Stepping off my soapbox...

Here is a great recipe for you all! I've modified this peanut sauce for over ten years. Modify away and make it yours!

Coleslaw Peanut Sauce Salad

Peanut Sauce

½ cup peanut butter
    2 tablespoons sugar or maple syrup
    ¼ cup shoyu or tamari (aged soy sauce)
    1 or 2 large clove garlic, pressed through garlic press
    2 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
    1 tablespoon (or less) chili garlic sauce (I use “Sambal”)
    Warm water

Mix everything together with a fork. Add warm water to thin. Add more water if used as a dressing, keep it thick if you use it as a dipping sauce for spring rolls. If you thin it too much, put it in the microwave for a ½ a minute or so and stir. It will thicken when cooked. I also use this dressing over stir-fried veggies with rice noodles.

The Salad
    1 16 oz. bag of store bought coleslaw mix or fresh grated cabbage and carrots (enough for 4 servings)
    3 or 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 green onions chopped
    2 cups or more chopped baby spinach
    ¼ c chopped peanuts (optional)
    Mung bean sprouts (optional)
    Adzuki beans or Vegan "chick'n" (optional)

You can use more or less of any of the above ingredients based on your taste or what you have available. If you like onions you can even add fresh chopped purple onions. If you don’t have cabbage you can use sliced romaine lettuce or spinach.

Mix everything together add the beans or chopped vegan chick'n and pour the Peanut Sauce over the top. Mix and garnish with fresh cilantro.
  • Niveous
    Options
    Hey, can you guys recommend a good brand of almond milk? I've always used soy and really like it, but wanted to try out some different things. I'm hoping to find one that's tasty when drunk on its own, but also suitable for baking. Toss me some suggestions if you have some please! :)

@IceGodess - Whatever it may be, I hope it goes away soon!

@desertcats - Great article, nice read! :)