You Cheated! I lost weight the "Natural way"

Options
124»

Replies

• jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    To each his/her own. But you did have "help" through surgery. My great aunt-in law person had the same thing and likes to tell everyone about how much she lost. But I've lost 124 lbs the "natural way" too. I do think there is a difference, but the fact of the matter is, you're making a change now and eating right and are in the correct mind set.
    And that difference would be????? How about the chances of YOU gaining all your weight back are much, much higher than some one who has had the help of their doctor. Don't judge people. What do really know about these surgeries, besides saying you know a friend of a friend who has a aunt etc.....For a lot of pople, they have yoyo'd all of their life and this was a last resort. There is NO difference as to HOW one loses the weight. You are no better than anyone because you did it "the natural way" Come see me in 5 years.....we'll see who has maintained thier weight loss.

word up! love your response :)
  • chasekilgannon
    Options
    Actually there is a lot of long term stats out there. Have you researched any of the surgeries? I have. Most people that have bariatric surgery of any type, maintain their loss. The doctors say even if you have a bit of "bounce back" weight, you are still a sucess if you maintain 60% of your loss.The Roux-n-y has been around for over 20 years. The duodenal switch is just about the same. They now have the gastric sleeve and of course the lap band. Out of all the surgeries the lap band has the lousiest stats. I'm assuming because there is no intestine bypassed.
    I wasn't taking a "jab" at any one. Why is it ok for folks to start picking on weight loss surgery people? I was stating a statistic. Why do you think so many people gain their weight back? It's called "grehlin". It's what makes you hungry. It runs from your tummy to your brain, it controls your hunger. If you would do a little research you would find that in a RNY surgery, the doctor will cut that nerve that the grehlin runs thru. The result? You never feel that awful, growling, mad hunger again. At least for me. Trust me I asked my surgeon why I wasn't hungry the same afterwards, and thats what he said. He cut the nerve that carries the grehlin to my brain. So yes, it's a "tool" in my weight loss tool box and I'm glad it's there. I had the Roux-N-Y 7 years ago and it was the best decision of my life. So if you think I was "damaging" someone, I wasn't. Go tell this to all the idiots who make stupid ignorant remarks to weight loss surgery people.

Yes. I have, because I considered having surgery. I decided that the risk of death or severe side effects and the normal lifestyle of a post-surgery patient was not how I wanted to live my life.

I don't really see how someone losing 250 lbs from surgery and gaining back 100 of that (40%) is considered a 'success'. They've still got an enormous amount of weight to get rid of.

I did not say it was ok to pick on anyone, for any type of weight loss. In fact, I said that we were ALL trying our best and doing what we felt we needed to in order to be successful. But when your response to people who make ignorant remarks about people who have chosen bariatric surgery is to start listing statistics about how they're going to get fat again because they didn't have it, you're no better than they are. It's just as hurtful and de-motivating. Someone might read that and say 'why am I trying if I've got a 95% chance at failing at this weight loss thing?'

Good insight.

Look, honestly, as long as your doing what's right for your body in the long run, surgery or not, should matter.

I think the purpose of the thread was to point out the insensitivity of some people, not to throw it back to the other way of getting fit.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    One of my colleagues had surgery a couple of years ago and lost a bunch of weight but, from what I've seen she is not taking care of herself. She frequently comments that she missed breakfast and I know that she does not exercies. Every now and again when we're eating together I'll see foods that are extremely high in fat and sodium.
    No matter how you are able to loose weight, if you don't address the issues that causes you to put on weight in the first place, you are most likely going to go right back where you started.
    You should be proud of your accomplishment!

I completely agreed with this statement. I think the most important thing is losing the weight not matter how you do it. I do know 3 people that have had surgery and gain all the weight because they never addressed the issues that were making them overweight in the first place. Now with that said I know even more people who so call lost weight "the natural way" and gain it all back plus some for the same reasons. Who to say one way is better than the other. The true fact of the matter is weight loss is a personal journey and people need to stop being judgmental and do what is take to change their life for the better.

Congrats on you loss. Be proud of yourself even if know one else understands.
  • DarkSwan
    DarkSwan Posts: 29
    Options
    Its too bad people gotta hate. My cousin recently had the surgery done, I always tell her she went the smart way and I went the hard (aka natural) way. XD It doesn't matter what choice you make, the long haul is never easy.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery in Jan 2008 after being overweight/obese my entire life. Yes, I tried counting calories and exercising. I'd lose weight and then gain it back, plus interest. Yo yo dieting is just as unhealthy so if you find that works for YOU, then good for you.

I work out, I have to watch what & how much I eat too....Some days are better than others....JUST like EVERYONE ELSE. I hate the double standard involved. We are ALL HUMAN.

I actually posted this blog below in response to an idiotic status post of someone I thought was my "friend".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Lisamarie1226/view/we-re-all-human-duh-85467#comments
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    UG, this reminds me of women who are dedicated to natural child birth and think that having an epidural is "cheating". I'm pretty sure that they don't hand you a medal at the hospital for refusing pain management.

I think some people are indeed very ignorant of the amount of work required by weight loss surgery patients. Weight loss surgery is a great tool that helps many people reach their fitness goals, but it doesn't do all the work for you .. especially when it comes to maintenance.

Some people just need to learn how it works.. but there are some who just have the need to feel superior.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    AMEN! I too had bariatric surgery. I had the sleeve done at the end of January. Many people who knew me before surgery were surprised that I was having it since I weighted just under 200 lbs. People think that only those who weigh 300+ should have this. But here's where I have to explain...I am just under 5 feet tall. I had to eliminate an entire food group for more than a year (had to go gluten free) and I still managed to gain weight! I was on more medication than my 69 yr old mother in law who is NOT a healthy woman! So, YES I did elect to have the surgery!
    I had to prove that it was medically necessary for my insurance to pay for most of the cost!
    Aside from my initial drop right after surgery,19lbs, I average 1-2 lbs a week...and have had a plateau for two or three weeks where I didn't lose anything on the scale!

I work out on average 2 hrs a day 6 days a week. I do cardio and weight training. I use MFP to track my protein, calories (which I don't generally eat enough of) and sugars. Whatever you do...do not eat lots of sugar...it is ugly!

I work harder than I have ever in my life! I do find that I crave going to the gym, which is a good thing...I guess. But I am losing weight naturally! I still have to STOP eating when I am no longer hungry. I have to make choices that are healthier than I've ever eaten and I have to be mindful of my caloric intake and the calories that I burn. And I have to workout! So....I'd say, I'm losing the "natural" way..through good choices and hard work...I just have an extra tool in my toolbox that I chose to pick up and use!
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Jerzeeblondie Posts: 236
    Options
    Don't listen to them! Losing weight works differently for everyone, some people choose to have surgery or are recommended to do so by a Dr. And honestly I think that losing weight from the surgery requires a lot more time and effort, than losing it without surgery so people should be proud of you. I know a few people who have had the surgery, and like you mentioned you have to work very hard and pay attention to a lot of things. While those who do not have the surgery can have a day here and there where they eat badly, those who have the surgery have to pay attention to what they are eatting much more or they can end up getting sick. A co-worker had the surgery and afterwards she had to have a lot of protein, more than I could handle in a day. And she had to be careful of sugar more than I ever paid attention to it. Somethings that I didn't think had a whole lot of sugar could make her sick to her stomach if she ate it. Be proud of your accomplishment and when people tell you they are doing it the natural way just say "the natural way for YOU" smile and walk away.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Jerzeeblondie Posts: 236
    Options
    I agree with you, it is the natural way. You are still putting in all of the work! And what is natural for one person may not be natural for another. Everyone loses differently which is why some people can eat unhealthy foods and never gain weight... they aren't healthy because of it though. And I like how you put it, you used a tool to your advantage!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of people don't really understand weight loss surgery. A lot of people think of it kind of like plastic surgery or liposuction, not realizing the huge lifestyle change that you have to undergo in order to get the results you want. They think, oh, you just go in and get your stomach stapled or whatever, and then suddenly everything is easier. But you know that's not true.

And you know what? It's not your job to convince people that weight loss surgery is valid. It's not your responsibility to make sure they're educated enough to not act like jerks. If someone else says something like that to you, I would simply say, "Good for you!" and then walk away. Because YOU know, as does everyone that's important to you, that you've worked hard to achieve these results. The jerks of the world aren't going to change their minds after one conversation with you, and they're not worth the time and effort and worry and negative feelings. You don't have to explain yourself. Even IF wls WERE a "quick fix," who cares? You're getting results. It's none of their business how you're getting healthy, and it's not their place to judge. You don't need to feel like you're put in a position of defending yourself, because that's not your responsibility. If they can't be happy for you and see the hard work you're putting into your health, then they're just not worth your time.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Based on everyone elses' remarks I'm guessing my comments will go over like those of a fiscal conservative in Obama's oval office, but the OP asked why some folks don't respect surgical weight loss so I want to give my perspective on the issue.

Admittedly, I tend to not give surgery weight loss the same pat on the back that I'd give non-surgery weight loss. I think the reason for that is because the few I know who talk about it tend to be very defensive and go on and on about all the dietary changes they've made as a result of the surgery. I think it's great that they've lost weight and that they've made (hopefully) lifestyle changes in diet and exercise after the surgery, but I always wonder why they didn't just make those changes in the first place. Would it not have accomplished the same weight loss?

I know a guy who readily admits that he had the surgery because he didn't have the will power to stop eating. I respect his honesty and applaud his weight loss (nearly 100 pounds to date). Most people aren't that honest about it though. Most people try to place the blame of their obesity elsewhere and act like they had absolutely no choice but to have the surgery, when the reality is they just didn't want to put the fork down. I make it a point to always try not to judge people, but when someone starts getting defensive about this issue right off the bat it makes me question their honesty with themselves and with others...and that's when I start giving less credit than is possibly due.

Just my perspective. No offense meant to anyone here. :)

ITA. There have been instances in the area where I live where teenagers are having the surgery. YOUNG TEENS. IMHO, surgery, of ANY type, should only be an absolute last resort as a solution to what ails you (and I walk the walk on this one). I fail to believe that a young teen has really tried ALL the non-surgical options for losing weight and must resort to surgery. More like their parents (who are also usually obese and don't want to have to do the work of lifestyle changes) want a quick fix for their child. But what does that teach a kid?! Nothing useful to get through life, that's for sure.

But I digress. There's a lot of ways to lose pounds. Some are healthy, some are not. You can find doctors out there to support just about anything if you look long enough. Diet pills? Sure. Starvation diets? Yep. 8 hours of cardio and purging meals? Probably. I'll just stick with my heavy weights and steroids thank you! (LOL)

Since the topic was posted, I imagine that some differing opinions were expected. No need for ANYONE on EITHER side to be rude. Just sayin'...