Saturated Fats are GOOD for you

Options

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in January 13, 2010, reported:

“A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studiesshowed that there is no significant evidence for concludingthat dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased riskof CHD [coronary heart disease] or CVD [cardiovascular disease]. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVDrisks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrientsused to replace saturated fat.”

I don't think there's a simple answer pointing to ONE solitary item in worldwide dietary consumption that absolutely causes atherosclerosis.

When we examine the other components of a diet, how much role do they play? The typical advice in America has been avoid saturated fat - it's bad! But we've kept relatively mum until recent years on the deleterious effects of starches and processed carbohydrates in our diet. I also wonder how skewed the studies of a "high fat" diet have been. What exactly IS a high fat diet? I will venture a guess many "high fat" diets that have been studied in America were diets high in processed carbohydrate, vegetable oil, and trans fats. In essence, we've studied junk food diets. Very different from the higher fat diets of our French counterparts...whom, by the way, have a much lower incidence of CHD in their society. And a higher rate of smoking. French paradox, anyone?

I await the day when a study is published of a more traditional high fat diet (by traditional, I mean relating to hunter-gatherer socieities which thrived highly on animal fat and vegetable matter). I will lay money down it produces the same result as above - there is no direct correlation or inconclusive correlation between saturated fat intake and the risk of CHD.

But until then, I guess we can all fight in the sandbox here and have at it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I tend to agree more with the original poster by the way.

On a related but side note...it's so difficult for the average person to get accurate information nowadays. SO much of what we are given as gospel truth, is little more than propaganda based on American drug/food companies that have a very large lobbying hand in our business. For example I have a friend diagnosed with, I believe...stage IV colon cancer, which has spread throughout his body. He is being treated with chemotherapy of course...however, a couple months prior to his beginning treatment, he began eating a much more traditional diet, and taking daily supplements of chagga tea, and home ground CANADIAN apricot pits. Yes, he's eating those sionide filled apricot pits...that are ILLEGAL in the US (all US apricots are genetically altered).

Now, here's the interesting part. When he went in for his final check before beginning chemo...his level of cancer had been reduced substantially. His doctor is astounded, and attributing it to various vitamins (I don't recall the specifics) and to the sionide, both contained in the apricot pits and tea...which can't be absorbed by the human body, but FIGHTS the cancer. He had mentioned others he contacted (where he learned of these supplements), on a similar diet...who had been diagnosed as terminal (6mos or less to live)...some, as many as 15 years ago. All healthy, happy...and cancer free. Additionally...he's GAINING weight...while in chemotherapy. It still makes him sick, but he IS healthy and THRIVING, rather than wasting away and dying.

Interesting, isn't it?

Yes, let's all add CYANIDE to our diets.
    :noway: :huh:
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    "French paradox, anyone? "
    French have different genes than Americans. Thats not a paradox. If a study is done about CHD incidence on French in France and French in America, then you can say that. I don't know about the French but a study was done on Japanese in Japan and Japanese in America and the latter clearly had an increased risk of CHD compared to the former.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    French have different genes than Americans. Thats not a paradox. If a study is done about CHD incidence on French in France and French in America, then you can say that. I don't know about the French but a study was done on Japanese in Japan and Japanese in America and the latter clearly had an increased risk of CHD compared to the former.

My point being that you can't point to a single nutrient and name it the culprit of all evils across the world.
  • drasr
    Options
    "there is no direct correlation or inconclusive correlation between saturated fat intake and the risk of CHD. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat#Cardiovascular_disease

Out of the 12 studies mentioned, 10 clearly point to a direct evidence of an increased risk of CHD with an increased intake of saturated fat.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, let's all add CYANIDE to our diets.
    :noway: :huh:

I think there's a little more to it than that...and you took my statement in its simplest form. I never recommended eating pure CYANIDE...I recommended eating Canadian apricot pits. From my understanding, the CYANIDE is contained in the form of a vitamin that your body can't break down into its component parts. Thus, the CYANIDE can't harm you...but does have a direct impact on the cancer cells. Ask his doctor, I'm just repeating what was told to me by the most honorable, honest, and trustworthy friend I've ever had in my life...the guy that's living through this. He's eaten enough apricot pits in the last six months (and yes, they are genetically unaltered Canadian apricots KNOWN to contain CYANIDE) to kill a herd of elephants, if it was in a form able to harm him.

By the way, thanks for reminding me of the proper spelling lol...rather embarrassing to have spelled it wrong in the first place be honest =D.

Cris
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    "there is no direct correlation or inconclusive correlation between saturated fat intake and the risk of CHD. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat#Cardiovascular_disease

Out of the 12 studies mentioned, 10 clearly point to a direct evidence of an increased risk of CHD with an increased intake of saturated fat.

They don't point to an absolute independent relationship.

Sorry, try again.
  • drasr
    Options
    You mean getting subjects to eat saturated fat and wait till they die of Heart Attack??

P.S. - Not trying to win an argument here. There is enough evidence to prove that substituting Saturated Fats with MUFA and PUFA significantly reduces the risk of CHD and Stroke and that is good enough for me to make that change.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Not one clinical trial has demonstrated a direct link between the reduction of saturated fat and the reduction of heart disease.

Going back to my point, it's not one single culprit to blame.

And here are two fun long-term studies to check out:

Swedish 12 year study : http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/6/10/2626/pdf

Framingham Heart Study: http://www.framinghamheartstudy.org/index.html
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    You mean getting subjects to eat saturated fat and wait till they die of Heart Attack??

P.S. - Not trying to win an argument here. There is enough evidence to prove that substituting Saturated Fats with MUFA and PUFA significantly reduces the risk of CHD and Stroke and that is good enough for me to make that change.

Well I figure by eating my horrible diet that contains some saturated fats from coconut oil, beef tallow, and butter, I'll immediately drop over dead at age 60 and save my children the expense of dragging my sick, feeble self to a nursing home.

If my ancestors and dear Julia Child were able to live to ripe old ages and maintain healthy weights eating the above, well then, maybe I'll beat my expectations!
  • Barneystinson
    Options

If I was volunteered into a study to look at the effects of a lower carbohydrate, high fat lifestyle (one that I've followed for some time) over the long run, I would gladly do it.

And I'm actually quite sincere in saying that.
  • drasr
    Options
    Did you refer to the links to the studies in that wikipedia article?? The reduced incidence of CHD varies between 5-25% by substituting Saturated Fats with MUFA and PUFA.

I couldn't open the pdf link but the History of the Framingham clearly mentions increased cholestrol as a risk and if you study Fat Metabolism and Cholestrol Synthesis in Human Body, you can understand the role of saturated fats in that.
  • drasr
    Options

If I was volunteered into a study to look at the effects of a lower carbohydrate, high fat lifestyle (one that I've followed for some time) over the long run, I would gladly do it.

And I'm actually quite sincere in saying that.

Of that lower carbohydrate and high fat diet, what percentage of total fat was saturated fat and what was unsaturated fat??

And i support you in this. You have made an informed decision. That's all i insist upon.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Bingo, ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. What do you want to bet the Japanese here in America eat much more Hydrogenated “saturated” fat?

And here we go again with the a calorie is a calorie, a saturated fat is a saturated fat line of B,,,, ologna. There is no way you can compare a tub of butter with a tub of hydrogenated corn oil, light years apart in how they act on the body. I will agree with you on one point a little education goes a long ways.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Could you cite the evidence? Most of what I've read, there is (1) correlation and not causation, and (2) the conclusions drawn do not necessarily refute or prove the hypotheses.
  • drasr
    Options
    Bingo, ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. What do you want to bet the Japanese here in America eat much more Hydrogenated “saturated” fat?

And here we go again with the a calorie is a calorie, a saturated fat is a saturated fat line of B,,,, ologna. There is no way you can compare a tub of butter with a tub of hydrogenated corn oil, light years apart in how they act on the body. I will agree with you on one point a little education goes a long ways.

I don't know what your are trying to imply but yes a little knowledge does go a long way. And irrespective of whether it is butter or hydrogenated oil, all saturated fats enter the same metabolic pathways and are broken down into fatty acids and some by-products. Lippincot's Biochemistry is a good start to understanding the processes involved.

And FYI the study done on Japanese American in Stanford.
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/ethnoger/japanese.html
  • drasr
    Options
    That statement was meant in a sarcastic tone. But there is enough evidence to suggest that substituting saturated FAs with MUFA and PUFA has a long term effect in preventing CHD/CAD. Its all there on the net. Just google it. Or refer to the wikipedia link.
  • freerange
    Options

I don't know what your are trying to imply but yes a little knowledge does go a long way. And irrespective of whether it is butter or hydrogenated oil, all saturated fats enter the same metabolic pathways and are broken down into fatty acids and some by-products. Lippincot's Biochemistry is a good start to understanding the processes involved.

And FYI the study done on Japanese American in Stanford.
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/ethnoger/japanese.html
    Perhaps you’ve heard that meat and dairy products contain trans fats as well. Technically, this is true, but the industrially produced trans fats aren’t to be conflated with the natural kind, called vaccenic acid. The digestion process, particularly the stomach bacteria, in ruminant animals naturally adds hydrogen. The result is a small amount of natural trans fat in the animals’ meat and milk that offers a number of benefits, including antiatherogenic effects. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), part of the family of naturally occurring trans fats, is a health powerhouse.

Unfortunately, about 80% of Americans’ trans fat intake is the artificial class. As is so often the case, there’s a tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to nutritional guidelines. The rule here holds as it always does: the natural, Primal stuff nourishes the body, the artificial stuff undermines it. ‘Nuff said?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The rule here holds as it always does: the natural, Primal stuff nourishes the body, the artificial stuff undermines it. ‘Nuff said?

And this is the most accurate, logical statement I've read in the whole thread. It's also something I try to live by...as much as is realistically possible in this day and age.

Cris
  • freerange
    Options
    “Trans fats by definition are not fully saturated. They contain at least one double bond in the trans configuration. Unsaturated fats with cis double bond configurations have lower melting points than comparable saturated and trans fatty acids because the cis double bond causes a bend in the molecule, limiting intermolecular attractive forces. This bend is not present in saturated fats or unsaturated fats with only trans double bonds”